TESTERS WANTED! ×

Callaway X20 Irons

I am looking at getting the Callaway X20 Irons and just had a couple questions for anyone that might have the answers. First was is there a big difference between the new groove and old groove style? Second was I have looked on some online sites as well as EBAY and have seen two different variations of the clubs. I saw some sets with the blue X on the club and other sets with the black X. Does anyone know if one or the other is a fake or is this how Callaway does it, different sets different colors? Might be a dumb question but don't want to be screwed over by someone selling them on ebay.

• SPY VIP

I haven't noticed any difference in the new grooves vs. old grooves - at least not as far as irons are concerned. Assuming the clubs you're seeing are genuine; the blues are X-20s, the blacks are X-20 Tour irons.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Any X-20 irons are current grooves and not the "new" grooves. As pointed out, the blue are the regular irons, black the tour version. I would not even consider ebay for purchasing these. Tons of fakes were produced. Buy from Callaway Pre-owned. The price is fair and you know you are getting the right stuff.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

Good deal, they are almost exactly like Rock Bottom Golf, prices are almost the same on everything I looked at.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Yeah I checked them too because I have gotten stuff from them and they are the real deal. Just called them and they are taking the shipping off as well because I ordered them less than 24 hours ago and they are being offered as free shipping now.

The X-22's have the new conforming grooves. That is why the X-20's are suddenly very popular.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

The X-22's have the new conforming grooves. That is why the X-20's are suddenly very popular.

Not true. The X-22's came to market before the rule change. Way too much is being made over the groove thing. 2024 is a long way away.

From Callaway's website; http://www.callawaygolf.com/Global/en-US/Articles/Grooves101.html

"In 2010, Callaway will offer offer irons and wedges with grooves that conform to the new Condition of Competition for players who compete in events where the new Condition will be in effect. New grooves that conform to the new Condition of Competition will be available after April 1, 2010 in select Tour Authentic versions of recent iron models, including the X-22 Tour Irons, 2009 X-Forged Irons, X Prototype Irons, X Series JAWS Wedges and X-Forged Wedges"

If you buy X-22 Tours right now off the rack, they will have the old grooves. Special order is the only way to get the "new" grooves. The new, just released X-24 Hot irons also have the "new" grooves off the rack.

So going forward only their Tour Versions will offer the new groove rule irrons, and the rest, like the normal, lets say, X-24s, would have the old rule grooves?

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

So going forward only their Tour Versions will offer the new groove rule irrons, and the rest, like the normal, lets say, X-24s, would have the old rule grooves?

No, the X-24's or anything coming out from now on will have the "new" grooves. They would not bring a new iron to market now if it had the old grooves as they will not be allowed to sell them after Dec. 31, 2010 with those grooves. They are only offering older releases of irons, updated with new grooves in the Tour lines of clubs, as those are the ones being played by players around the world on various tours as they must play the "new" grooves now. The rest of us have fourteen more years.

The rest of us have our entire life time, you telling me, that for rec golfers, we will change to the new rules, I don't see that happening. What's to stop smaller companies from making clubs with old non conforming groove rules?

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

OEM's can not manufacture clubs with the current or "old" grooves after 1-1-2011, plain and simple. All major OEM's will respect the rules, as do I. You can play your current clubs until 2024, which is a long way away.

With that being said, my home course has several demo clubs with the "new" grooves and I and many others have been demoing them recently. I know for sure with wedges, nothing much changed for me. The end result was much the same, and if anything, the new wedges do less damage to the ball cover than my current wedges. All of us here, along with millions of other people, are just not good enough for this to really make a difference. Way too much is being made of this.

We dont' have an "entire" lifetime. We have until 2024 if you respect and play by the rules, which most of us do. I'm sure most all of us will have the "new" grooves in play well before the end date. I trade irons every couple of years, so the date means nothing to me, although at least I know I can play my current clubs for fourteen more years if I choose.

The rule states that no OEM can manufacture or sell none conforming clubs after 1-1-2011. However, the distributors can continue to sell these clubs until the supply runs out or 2024, which ever comes first. I'm guessing they will run out well before the end date.

Balls are also going to change. It is already happening. Balls will continue to change because of the groove change. In time it really won't matter to the average player. Way too much is being made of all of this in my eyes. Demo the new grooves if you get a chance and you will see what I'm saying.

I understand and respect your point of view, but I would bet that the majority of golfers do not play by the official golf rules, but play for fun.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

I understand and respect your point of view, but I would bet that the majority of golfers do not play by the official golf rules, but play for fun.

Well..I play almost everyday at two different course and I have played both courses for close to thirty/thirty five years and I play with a couple of groups of about thirty, forty guys at each course and I guess I don't know anyone at either place that doesn't play by the rules. I'll bet alot more golfers respect the rules than you may think. Golf is fun for those I play with and I know it is fun for me, but that does not mean you don't have to play by the rules. I'm happy the guys that taught me when I was young respected the rules.

You would be welcome anytime in either of my groups, but get caught cheating or get caught with none conforming clubs in your bag and the news would travel fast. To cheat at golf is really just cheating yourself.

Again, I truly respect you and the game of golf, but my view is different. You are more than a casual player, and it sounds like your group is also. The normal, 2 kids, full work week, no country club, playing muni's, buddy golf trip, playing twice a month golfer, while playing by most of the rules of golf, will not be conforming to the new groove rules.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Again, I truly respect you and the game of golf, but my view is different. You are more than a casual player, and it sounds like your group is also. The normal, 2 kids, full work week, no country club, playing muni's, buddy golf trip, playing twice a month golfer, while playing by most of the rules of golf, will not be conforming to the new groove rules.

John, Yes are view's are different. I do play in two leagues and both weekend mornings in skins groups where cheating, or at least not following the rules will get one bannished.

I think, and this just my thoughts, is that most players trade up or buy new irons every two three years, not everyone but many. Most all irons coming new to the market from now on will have the new grooves so the change will just happen. For some players it will not hurt them much and for others it will be a big change.

I for one am not real happy with the USGA about this. Millions and millions of golfers like you me and everyone else here need more spin, not less and this rule change will hurt us to play well and enjoy the game. If they wanted to change anything for the tour players, they should come up with a tour ball and leave the clubs alone. I am hoping that my current irons, which I bought last summer will last me for several years.

I'm guessing though that they will not be around in fourteen more years but, you never know. I'm sure though that the balls of the future will make the change better for us and put us pretty much back to where we are right now. Time will tell how it will all shake down.

Some of the people that I feel bad for with the new groove rule are the mini tour or aspiring tour pro that has no sponsorship and now has to fork out $1000ish for brand new irons. That kinda suck.

Some of the people that I feel bad for with the new groove rule are the mini tour or aspiring tour pro that has no sponsorship and now has to fork out $1000ish for brand new irons. That kinda suck.

That is a fact! I have fourteen more years to work them in but they have to do it now. Wonder how they feel about it or the USGA right now.

Now I totally agree with everything you said!

John.....I think as golfers and guys that love the game we are never really that far apart with our thoughts. I use to send in my $25 every year to support the USGA but not since that made this mess. They get nothing more from me. I have to save it all for new clubs and that was what I wrote on the last membership reminder they sent me before I mailed it back to them.

It's not as if such a day never comes for any of us and I understand the USGA made their announcement about 5 years prior to enforcement. What we complain of is the inconvenience of the expense especially if we never made any preparations for it. There is also the added problem of limited choices as the manufacturers also waited until the last moment to make conforming offers.

Clearly the groove rule is unpopular and looked upon as unnecessary. There is curiosity about how the rolled back grooves will affect us, and those able to afford have already bought the conforming models to check them out. Having come from the time square grooves were introduced and still remembering my disappontment that the square grooves were not the miracle wonder drug then touted loud and long, I doubt the reverse direction will have any significant effect on my game. However I am not planning to make the change purposely any time soon and I doubt I'll still be healthy enough to be playing when the time for enforcement comes about.

Shambles

It's not as if such a day never comes for any of us and I understand the USGA made their announcement about 5 years prior to enforcement. What we complain of is the inconvenience of the expense especially if we never made any preparations for it. There is also the added problem of limited choices as the manufacturers also waited until the last moment to make conforming offers.

Clearly the groove rule is unpopular and looked upon as unnecessary. There is curiosity about how the rolled back grooves will affect us, and those able to afford have already bought the conforming models to check them out. Having come from the time square grooves were introduced and still remembering my disappontment that the square grooves were not the miracle wonder drug then touted loud and long, I doubt the reverse direction will have any significant effect on my game. However I am not planning to make the change purposely any time soon and I doubt I'll still be healthy enough to be playing when the time for enforcement comes about.

Shambles

Of course the day will come for all of us, but those are the guys who are trying to make a living playing golf. If anyone else reads the golf blog www.golfsnothard.com, the writer commented a few weeks ago on his goals for the game. (In short he used to be on the fast track to the pro's, actually declared himself as a pro, hirt his back badly about 9 years ago, and started his comeback last year). He said that on of the big reasons that he is not trying to make a return to pro golf is that a new set of irons and wedges costs a lot of money (plus he already has a job, I think as a lawyer).

That's who I feel bad for, the low level pros and the high level amateurs. This new rule has little to no effect for amateurs, the vast majority of whom don't spin the ball much anyway, and those who do don't compete at a pro level anyway. I don't feel for the big time pros either, who have sponsorships to pay for it.

Of course the day will come for all of us, but those are the guys who are trying to make a living playing golf. If anyone else reads the golf blog www.golfsnothard.com, the writer commented a few weeks ago on his goals for the game. (In short he used to be on the fast track to the pro's, actually declared himself as a pro, hirt his back badly about 9 years ago, and started his comeback last year). He said that on of the big reasons that he is not trying to make a return to pro golf is that a new set of irons and wedges costs a lot of money (plus he already has a job, I think as a lawyer).

That's who I feel bad for, the low level pros and the high level amateurs. This new rule has little to no effect for amateurs, the vast majority of whom don't spin the ball much anyway, and those who do don't compete at a pro level anyway. I don't feel for the big time pros either, who have sponsorships to pay for it.

The ones I feel bad for are our aspiring pros who can no longer look to amateur cast offs as a handy source of good clubs. However they have found a place to begin by haunting the very old club bins for pre square groove clubs and rehabilitating them.

I did mention that the USGA gave a 5 year period for all affected to prepare for the change. Surely that was time enough to put away more than enough for the change, and if the need never came, savings have always been a good thing in my book.

Shambles

John, Yes are view's are different. I do play in two leagues and both weekend mornings in skins groups where cheating, or at least not following the rules will get one bannished.

I think, and this just my thoughts, is that most players trade up or buy new irons every two three years, not everyone but many. Most all irons coming new to the market from now on will have the new grooves so the change will just happen. For some players it will not hurt them much and for others it will be a big change.

I for one am not real happy with the USGA about this. Millions and millions of golfers like you me and everyone else here need more spin, not less and this rule change will hurt us to play well and enjoy the game. If they wanted to change anything for the tour players, they should come up with a tour ball and leave the clubs alone. I am hoping that my current irons, which I bought last summer will last me for several years.

I'm guessing though that they will not be around in fourteen more years but, you never know. I'm sure though that the balls of the future will make the change better for us and put us pretty much back to where we are right now. Time will tell how it will all shake down.

Glad to see someone else open to the suggestion of a TOUR ONLY BALL..... Get all the companies together, decide on a make/model, and issue balls to each player entering PGA/LPGA/Champions/Nationwide/Asian, etc.... You want to level the playing field? Make them all play the same ball.

"Hey Ace... You got any more of that gum?" "That's none of your damn business and I'll thank you for staying out of my personal affairs." - Ace Ventura Pet Detective

I understand and of course I could be wrong, that Arnie pushed for the groove change while Jack pushed for the tour ball. Of course I like the ball option best but the USGA went with the groove change I feel, to just push the OEM's around a little and flex their power a bit. I love Arnie but wish those guys would just enjoy life and leave us alone.

I'm also in no hurry to change but sooner or later I'm going to want new irons down the road so it will happen. I have however bought new wedges just this week and will put my current wedges in storage just in case but I think they are mass producing wedges and there will be some large quantities in warehouses like Golfsmith or Edwin Watts for years to come. They can sell them, just the OEM's have to stop selling the on D-Day 1/1/2011.

Archived