KBS Shafts Vs. True Temper Dynamic Golf

I bought Mizuno JPX-825's last Summer, and I LOVE my KBS Tour shafts.  I'm in agreement with the masses here: you need to try the clubs with the shafts to feel them, and to see the shot dispersion.  I chose the KBS Tour because the dispersion was much tighter (for me) than Dynamic Gold.  (Tried Project X too, but just not for me.  Felt like swinging a 2 x 12.)

That said, Mizuno charges $0 for most of the "upgrade" shafts.  To me, it's a bait & switch when you're already going to spend $800 +/- to nick you $20-30 a stick for the proper shaft.

• Like 1

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I bought Mizuno JPX-825's last Summer, and I LOVE my KBS Tour shafts.  I'm in agreement with the masses here: you need to try the clubs with the shafts to feel them, and to see the shot dispersion.  I chose the KBS Tour because the dispersion was much tighter (for me) than Dynamic Gold.  (Tried Project X too, but just not for me.  Felt like swinging a 2 x 12.)

That said, Mizuno charges $0 for most of the "upgrade" shafts.  To me, it's a bait & switch when you're already going to spend $800 +/- to nick you $20-30 a stick for the proper shaft.

^^^ As I'm boxing up my MP-59's with PX 6.0's to go to my club guy for soft-stepped Aerotech 110 stiffs. LOL!^^^

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

PX not in the picture at all?

Bag One: :taylormade-small: '16 M2, Tour AD-GP 7S

:adams-small:  XTD Ti 15*, Tour AD-GT 8S

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

:mizuno-small:  MP-H5 4-PW, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 51/08, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 58/10, DG Spinner

:cameron-small:  2012 Newport2, 34"

^^^ As I'm boxing up my MP-59's with PX 6.0's to go to my club guy for soft-stepped Aerotech 110 stiffs. LOL!^^^

I love the feel of my PX 5.5. I tried 6.0 for a while and couldn't get them to work well. 5.5 is money. I've enjoyedplaying KBS Tour Stiff too, but the PX won me over.

• Like 1

Bag One: :taylormade-small: '16 M2, Tour AD-GP 7S

:adams-small:  XTD Ti 15*, Tour AD-GT 8S

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

:mizuno-small:  MP-H5 4-PW, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 51/08, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 58/10, DG Spinner

:cameron-small:  2012 Newport2, 34"

I love the feel of my PX 5.5. I tried 6.0 for a while and couldn't get them to work well. 5.5 is money. I've enjoyedplaying KBS Tour Stiff too, but the PX won me over.

Played PX for a number of years in 6.0 and 6.5. Actually wanted C-tapers in this set at the time, but it was right before Miz started carrying them. Went with same weight/designer anyway for the shafts. PX launch high enough for me, but I think I need more spin. Their descent angle is too strong for good green holding for me anymore. I need a more defined apex to my flight, and I think the Steelfibers will do that.

• Like 2

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

• 7 months later...

Do you take large divots? KBS shafts are known to bend for a digger.

I forgot about this thread. It's a good one since the question came back up recently. I have snapped a couple of KBSes at the tip. That was when I had a hitting bay in my house and was hitting off the mat a lot though.

Over the last year since moving, I have maybe gotten in four or five 9 hole rounds and one 18 hole scramble for a work event. I'm not swinging anything like I used to. I really think that unless I have the time to condition myself again, I need to take the C-Tapers out and move to R or R+ Tours, not to mention something more forgiving. I used to be very consistent at finding the center of the club. But I was hitting balls every day too. My swing feels forced now just because my muscles aren't used to stretching and moving like that anymore. Amazing what happens when you can't keep as active.

Anyway, good thread to resurrect about KBS vs DG.

• Like 1

Get fitted. I had Wilson Staff clubs with KBS Tours and couldn't get the long irons off the ground. Now I have I20's with DG S300 shafts and the ball flight is higher than with the Wilson's and much more controllable. I guess I'm an S300 guy. In terms of feel, I don't feel the difference. I feel it in the head because I went from forged to cast but I don't feel it in the shafts at all. 

DRIVER:                  :mizuno-small:  ST190, 10.5*, Fujikura  Atmos Black Tour Spec 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap, midsize

HYBRIDS:    :adams-small:    Pro  2 hybrid 16*, Aldila Tour Red 75g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip 

:mizuno-small:           JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip                                  

IRONS:            :cobra-small:    King Forged Tour 4i-pw, KBS FLT, shafts, stiff,  Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

WEDGES:        rsz_scor-golf-logo.png        50, 55, 60 degree wedges with Genius 12 stiff flex,   Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

PUTTER:       :odyssey-small:    O-Works Marksman 33.5", Superstroke 1.0 Flatso grip w/ 50g counter core

BALL:          :bridgestone-small: Tour B X                                                     

BAG:          :Ogio:              Cirrus Golf Bag 

Shoes:              Skechers                  Hexgo Control  Shoes

Get fitted. I had Wilson Staff clubs with KBS Tours and couldn't get the long irons off the ground. Now I have I20's with DG S300 shafts and the ball flight is higher than with the Wilson's and much more controllable. I guess I'm an S300 guy. In terms of feel, I don't feel the difference. I feel it in the head because I went from forged to cast but I don't feel it in the shafts at all.

The only reason this can be is either 1. its in your head or 2. You have an early release, smooth transition and controlled downswing. That would mean that the shaft doesn't matter very much to you. The club head change is what will be your big difference as far as launch increasing. These are very different shafts. See the chart

post-30969-0-67165500-1344949027_thumb.jpg

The only other possibility it that you received something that was not what it said it was. It was either labeled improperly from the ebayer or may have been tipped/hardstepped at some point and that was not disclosed.

• Like 1

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

I prefer the feel of KBS but they don't fit me well. The stiffer tip of DG suits my needs better.

That's what got me hooked on them is the feel. They have a powerful kick.

I think Undershooter probably nailed it with the smooth early release suggestion. If he's not loading the shaft in the first place, it doesn't much matter what shaft he uses as long as the weight is right for him.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I actually love the feel or kick of the KBS shaft. I gamed them for a couple of years. They are counterbalanced and felt more powerful to me.

HOWEVER. I learned this year that they were the reason that mishit the ball occasionally. Especially wedges. During the slower swings I would lose the feel of where the head of the club was. The funny thing was I blamed every brand of wedges that I tried. Nothing was as good as my old Vokey wedges with the leather grips stuck to the shafts. But it turned out it had little to do with the wedge and the DG wedge shaft that was in them. Because I could not remove the grips I did not change those to KBS shafts. And my distance control with those wedges was always much better.

Because of this I have gone back to DG shafts in my irons.

This helps me with my tempo and reduces mishit, especially on pressure shots.

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated