Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Theoo's Pre-Season Tune up

I think next time we hit the golf store we should pick a salad place instead of a pizza place.

I'm also gaining a lot of my strength back as well. Which is much needed. I'm down probably 7-8 lbs after 2 weeks. Diet can continue to improve as well.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I think next time we hit the golf store we should pick a salad place instead of a pizza place.

True

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates. Long story short I haven't been doing too well :(. I hurt my foot some how which hindered my gym going, which lead to slacking off in my diet.

The good news is the swing is looking really good. Got to hit off turf for the first time last Saturday and everything was looking good. Its going to be a good season. 

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Sorry for the lack of updates. Long story short I haven't been doing too well :(. I hurt my foot some how which hindered my gym going, which lead to slacking off in my diet.

I've always been skinny, so I can't help on that front.  I used be an athlete though.  Sports all through high school and college then Martial Arts for several years after college.  Unfortunately I  ended up stopping in my late 20's because of work, life, time, etc.  Fast forward 15 years later and I couldn't sprint 100 yards without feeling like I was going to die.  I decided I needed to do something so, I started practicing Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido again.  The first couple months were hell.  I loved doing it, but I dreaded going.  I honestly thought I was going to have a heart attack after every sparring match.  Apparently, the older we get, the harder it is to stay in shape.  Something always hurt. Funny thing is, despite the body/muscle aches and pains, I actually started feeling better both mentally and eventually physically as well.  I feel better than I have in almost 2 decades.

I guess all I'm trying to say/do is motivate you to keep at it.  If you hurt something, work around it.  Do not let yourself use it as an excuse to not go.  It won't be any easier next year.  The older you get the harder it is to get back in shape.  Force yourself to go.  In a short time you'll never want to go back to the "old" you. 

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Agree with BK 100%.

I was never the great athlete, but was avid in any sport I took up.  I swam 2.5 miles, biked 112 miles, and ran a marathon... just not all at once.   ^_^    I started playing golf about 23 years ago when I just couldn't handle the softball leagues (slow and fast pitch), pickup BB, and competitive volleyball any longer.  Always had some pain somewhere.  I still have pain from golf, but Hey... I'm old so that's to be expected.  

I seem to remember that when I turned 50, each year I would have a new pain somewhere.  Mostly joints, but sometimes muscles or tendons.  It would last a while; some longer than others, some lasted a year.  It got to the point that after the first of the year, I would think: "Well, I wonder what the pain will be this year."  Usually didn't take long to find out.

The problem with working out is the older you get, the more chance of getting a pain from working out!  So, what happens is, you stop working out and get more out of shape.  And the cycle starts over again.  My recommendation is stick with workouts but tone them down.  Keep it easy and focus on a lot of stretching.  There are plenty of internet programs out there with many focused on golf if you are so inclined.  Even with a sore foot, you can do a lot that doesn't involve your foot.  Plan it out and stick with it.  Also, I have found that "going to the gym" can have negative feelings associated with it.  Sure, they have all of the equipment and space but it's also easy to say "I just don't feel like going today.  I'll go tomorrow".  Once that starts happening, chances are you won't be going much longer.  

Again, develop a low-impact workout and stretching routine AT HOME.  Make a commitment to yourself to do it at the same time every other day to start, then every day.  Change up the routine often; don't do the same thing all the time.  SLOWLY, work back into the more strenuous workouts that you are probably familiar with.  If you get a pain, take a day or two off, but keep up stretching.  It will take awhile, probably all season,  Don't expect dramatic improvements in any workout plan in a month.  It probably took quite awhile to get into you current condition; expect a long time to get out of it.

This is just my opinion based on many years of doing what you are going though right now.  If you want an example of what can happen to your body when you age, I can be that example.   :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My daily workout routine begins by getting out of bed and dressing myself ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• SPY VIP

Setbacks happen. Start over, then start over again if you need to.

I've slacked for a month due to a lingering head cold.

So looking forward to the routine again.

Just get rolling again.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Man... I'd just like to see you get that weight down first. You'll just feel better period. And your game will improve just for that alone. I'm no fitness expert or model of it. But a little can sometimes go a long way. I don't know about you but I like to eat. But about a year ago I decided to drop 15 pounds and did. In three months. I've also kept it off. How? By using the eat less diet. I pretty much eat what I want I just don't gorge myself. If you go out a lot to eat then you know how large most servings are. Eat half and take the rest home for tomorrow. I eat lightly in the early evening. You have more weight to lose so it will take longer. Big deal. Take longer. Try the eat less diet for 6 months and see where you are. Stretching is always good too.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I guess all I'm trying to say/do is motivate you to keep at it.  If you hurt something, work around it.  Do not let yourself use it as an excuse to not go.  It won't be any easier next year.  The older you get the harder it is to get back in shape.  Force yourself to go.  In a short time you'll never want to go back to the "old" you. 

I know I should have tried to work around it but I didn't for 2 reasons. The first being I stand up all day at work so I was concerned that I could hurt myself more and not be able to be useful at work. The 2nd comes from the only other injury I've ever had and that happened because I cam back to fast from being sick and ended up hurting myself instead of being patient.

Man... I'd just like to see you get that weight down first. You'll just feel better period. And your game will improve just for that alone. I'm no fitness expert or model of it. But a little can sometimes go a long way. I don't know about you but I like to eat. But about a year ago I decided to drop 15 pounds and did. In three months. I've also kept it off. How? By using the eat less diet. I pretty much eat what I want I just don't gorge myself. If you go out a lot to eat then you know how large most servings are. Eat half and take the rest home for tomorrow. I eat lightly in the early evening. You have more weight to lose so it will take longer. Big deal. Take longer. Try the eat less diet for 6 months and see where you are. Stretching is always good too.

I agree, one thing not sure if it is a good or bad thing but I've always been bigger so I'm used to. One good thing that came from this is my eating has gotten better. I have cut my fast food and eating out down a whole lot which is good. 

Archived