Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2015 TW Apparel from Nike Golf

SPY ZINGER

tiger-woods-logo-golf-pga-charity.jpg

The 2015 golf season for Tiger Woods is off to a rough start.  Thankfully, his line of apparel from Nike Golf is a predictable constant, season after season.  In fact, the entire Nike line, season after season is predictable.  The research and development as well as a commitment to advancing the brand doesn't end with hard lines.  Nike produces some incredible, technologically advanced pieces in the soft lines.  The Tiger Woods line is always positioned as there flagship selections.

This past January, I had the opportunity to attend the PGA Merchandise show, courtesy of MyGolfSpy.  Across the highway from the Orange County Convention Center, there is a Golf Galaxy.  Prior to visiting the show, I wanted to familiarize myself with the apparel choices presented at big box retailers or golf specialty stores.  As I was walking in, another CEO from a major golf brand was walking out.  Seems like perhaps he had the same idea that I had. 

The aisles of the PGA Merchandise show present an abundance of apparel manufacturers.  However, inside big box retailers, you'll only find a handful of apparel brands, and they're names that are usually partnered with the major equipment manufacturers.  The Niche brands are usually only found inside the country clubs.  Nike continues to dominate the big box segment of the apparel market in terms of quality, technology, fit, finish and styling.  Nike always seems to produce premium quality pieces, and receives the SPY ZINGER award for Best in the [big] Box.

Following the show, I had the opportunity to take a close look at a couple pieces of the Tiger Woods line for 2015.

IMG_3555.JPG

TW Cypress Shield ½ Zip

TW-NIKE-CYPRESS-SHIELD-1-2-ZIP-639817_496_A.jpg

The TW Cypress Shield is a unique ½ zip pull over.  The first feature of note is the over all warmth to weight ratio.  This piece is very lightweight yet retains body heat very well with the texturized, “3-D" waffle patterned interior.  The elastic cuffs and waist appear as exposed, yet finished, elastic that is very comfortable and functional.  The Cypress Shield has some stretch built into the fabric and is unrestrictive during the motion of the golf swing.  With most quarter or half zip pieces,  the length of the collar determines if I'll wear it up, or folded down like a shirt collar.  The Cypress Shield features a “mock neck” collar, and just lays nicely as designed with minimal rub against facial hair.  Nike is calling the Cypress Shield a standard fit.  I would characterize this as a tailored fit, but you should purchase your normal size as this will have some give in the needed areas.  Less bulk, lightweight, and warm.  Very cool piece from TW.  MSRP: $140

IMG_3567.JPG

IMG_3568.JPG

IMG_3569.JPG

FROM NIKE:

The TW Cypress Shield 1/2-Zip Men's Golf Shirt is made from sweat-wicking fabric and a 3-D interior to help keep you dry and warm on cooler courses.

Benefits

• Dri-FIT fabric to wick sweat away and help keep you dry and comfortable
  • Mock neck with zip placket for coverage and adjustable ventilation
  • 3-D fabric at the interior to trap pockets of body heat near the skin
  • Elastic cuffs and hem for enhanced fit
  • Standard fit is not too slim, not too loose
  •  

Product Details

• Contrast stripes, cuffs and hem
  • Fabric: Dri-FIT 100% polyester
  • Machine wash
  • Imported

TW Engineered Golf Sweater

TW-ENGINEERED-SWEA-620148_010_A.jpg

The TW Engineered sweater is another piece from the flagship line, that when you hold it in your hand, you can just feel it's a premium product.  Made from about half merino wool, this offering from Nike is a classy piece worn over the golf shirt when the temps are cool.  Unrestrictive and warm.  The TW Engineered sweater fits true to size and has an MSRP of $140

IMG_3556.JPG

IMG_3557.JPG

IMG_3558.jpg

FROM NIKE:

The TW Engineered Men's Golf Sweater is made with a soft wool and acrylic blend for a cozy, warm feel. Articulated elbows and underarm mesh panels deliver great range of motion and zoned breathability.

Benefits

• Rib crew neck, cuffs and hem for durability and comfort
  • Articulated elbows for natural range of motion
  • Underarm mesh panels for strategic breathability
  • Embroidered logo at upper back for signature style
  •  

Product Details

• Fabric: 55% merino wool/45% acrylic
  • Machine wash
  • Imported

TW Ultra 3.0 Polo

TW-ULTRA-POLO-30-619757_088_A.jpg

If you haven't purchased any TW apparel in the last couple years, you're in for a bit of a surprise when you pick up the polo again for the first time.  Nike has designed the TW 3.0 polo with a series of small holes located in the neck area of the collar, the collar itself, and about halfway down the spine of the back.  These holes, laser cut by Nike, are designed to assist the tech fabric in ventilation.  These, along with the mesh armpit panels, you'll be hard pressed to find a cooler shirt in golf.  Although personally, I am not a fan of the snaps in place of the buttons on the shirt plaquet, true to TW designs, they are nicely done.  Fits true to size, with some room.  Hangs a bit longer than normal so it stays inside your pants.  MSRP $95

IMG_3561.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

FROM NIKE:

The lightweight TW Ultra 3.0 Men's Golf Polo has strategically placed perforations at the collar and back for modern style with breathability. Underarm mesh panels deliver essential ventilation, and the standard fit offers natural range of motion.

Benefits

• Dri-FIT fabric to wick sweat away and help keep you dry and comfortable
  • Laser cut perforations at center back and collar for excellent ventilation
  • Fold-over collar and bonded placket for classic polo style and durability
  • Mesh underarm panels for breathability
  •  

Product Details

• Fabric: Dri-FIT 100% polyester
  • Machine wash
  • Imported
Posted Image

Liking that Cypress Shield a LOT!  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm with Barbajo, that Cypress Shield is on my target list now. TW puts out some great stuff.

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

always liked this line, it's hard to stomach the price tag though...... 

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I agree that the price of the TW line has always made me look from afar.

$140 for a half merino wool sweater? Robbery.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

The Cypress Shield is nice looking.  All of TW stuff is nice looking, but expensive which is one reason I look elsewhere.

I always find in amusing when manufacturers say "Dri-FIT fabric to wick sweat away and help keep you dry and comfortable"  for an outer layer.  I don't need it to wick sweat away; if I'm sweating I take it off!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I always find in amusing when manufacturers say "Dri-FIT fabric to wick sweat away and help keep you dry and comfortable"  for an outer layer.  I don't need it to wick sweat away; if I'm sweating I take it off!

I agree, except on those days where its very in between. Sun comes out, you warm up and take off the outer layer. Breeze kicks up, you're cold. It can get miserable on days like that if you trap moisture underneath and every time the wind blows, you get chilled. Gotta let it out!

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

• 2 weeks later...

Loving the engineered sweater. Clean and understated. The polo didn't seem very impressive. But I too am on the Cyrpess Shield bandwagon, even if I can't get the loan to buy it.

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

Archived