How would you hit this shot?

Cog Hill.jpeg

151 yards away from the green, in the rough?

How would you approach this shot? What club would you hit and what kind of shot shape would you attempt?

http://www.bestapproachflyovers.com/COGD_coghilldubsdread/flyovers.html

Here is a fly over of the hole

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Any wind?  Front/back/middle pin? Hazards around the green?

Need more info to pick a club, but depending on all that it's either an 8 or 9 up and over.

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Any wind?  Front/back/middle pin? Hazards around the green?

Need more info to pick a club, but depending on all that it's either an 8 or 9 up and over.

Im looking for more photos to add, but there is a bunker on the left side of the green. and water to your right

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Choke down on 6 iron aim 10 yards left and hit a cut .....mind you that's nearly every shot I hit!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

We did this during one of my lessons. My coach set it up and said I can't go over i had to go around it. Much harder to do but it helped me learn how to hit a hook and a cut almost on command.

Depends on the depth of the rough, but most likely a full seven iron, start at the bunker, fade it to the middle of the green, leave myself a putt.

• Like 1

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

We did this during one of my lessons. My coach set it up and said I can go over i had to go around it. Much harder to do but it helped me learn how to hit a hook and a cut almost on command.

Oh no you didn't... :lol:

Sometimes taking enough loft to just go over an obstacle and live to tell the tale and hit it again is better than playing a hero hook or cut. Especially if the lie sucks. This is course management stuff that can help keep big numbers off your scorecard. B) "No hero shots" as I call it. :P

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

8 iron up and over. I have no issues getting the ball airborne.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I'd either choke down on my 3 hybrid and play a bump & run, or hit my 7i full, depending on how rough the rough is.

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

150 in the rough of the rough is deeper, then I would full swing a 9 or even PW, and play it short, if the lie is decent in the rough I would likely use 8 iron and hope for some roll out.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I would most likely take a 6i, open the blade up, and chunk it.  Then I would take whatever SCOR wedge I would use for the remaining distance, stick it by the pin and make the putt.  

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Normal 9 iron with a little bit of cut. I try not to over think shots like this. Worst case I catch a flyer and it goes 5 yards too far. Still not a terrible outcome depending on the pin location.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

Oh no you didn't... :lol:

Sometimes taking enough loft to just go over an obstacle and live to tell the tale and hit it again is better than playing a hero hook or cut. Especially if the lie sucks. This is course management stuff that can help keep big numbers off your scorecard. B) "No hero shots" as I call it. :P

No he said I had to go around it. He knew I could hit over it no problem. It just got me thinking differently than full steam ahead. On the course I always opt to take the least costly route.

I love this post!

Normally 150 is a stock 9i. If it's sitting up in the rough, no change. 9i to center of green. Assuming a normal lie in rough, an 8i. If it's in deep rough, I would probably use a soft 7 and play for the back of the green. Better than being in those bunkers!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

No he said I had to go around it. He knew I could hit over it no problem. It just got me thinking differently than full steam ahead. On the course I always opt to take the least costly route.

That's good. Curving the ball and lower scores are not always synonymous. Kinda what I'm getting at.

Don't practice what you won't do on course. On course, you would have gone straight over. THAT is not full steam ahead. That's taking what the scenario gives you with the least percentage of error. Course management. I don't like that he had a 32 handi practicing like that. You need control of basic shots first. And astroturf is not your friend indoors. Its easy to get away with bad swings that produce the results you want on astroturf. I'm a ball-shaping madman off astroturf. I hit it straight on course.

Sorry, got outside the box of this conversation and just trying to give something to think on.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I don't like that he had a 32 handi practicing like that. You need control of basic shots first.

I dunno.  I practice hitting draws and fades but only use them on course if I need to.  While it may not be feasable for you to hit a draw or fade yet with accuracy, if you know how to make the ball curve, I think it will help you learn how to hit it straight.

BIRDIE COACH & MENTOR, FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 12.0 (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, March 2021
:titelist-small: TS2 Driver Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
 :callaway-small: PM Grind Wedges
:bettinardi-1:  Putter

:bridgestone-small: 2020 TOUR B XS
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I dunno.  I practice hitting draws and fades but only use them on course if I need to.  While it may not be feasable for you to hit a draw or fade yet with accuracy, if you know how to make the ball curve, I think it will help you learn how to hit it straight.

Exactly on the bolded portion. That might be one or two shots of 80 in a round. One can get to a single digit not trying to curve it at all is the message I hope Theo comes away with. And if there is a shot you don't have to, you take it if its the better percentage play.

I had a shot like this for my 2nd on a par 5 last round of the year. Had to draw it around a tree. Rough caught the blade and turned it over. "Whack." I did it perfectly the 2nd try, but the lie after the drop was better. (Point on astroturf being way easier.)

"Glute Activator"

Exactly on the bolded portion. That might be one or two shots of 80 in a round. One can get to a single digit not trying to curve it at all is the message I hope Theo comes away with. And if there is a shot you don't have to, you take it if its the better percentage play.

I had a shot like this for my 2nd on a par 5 last round of the year. Had to draw it around a tree. Rough caught the blade and turned it over. "Whack." I did it perfectly the 2nd try, but the lie after the drop was better. (Point on astroturf being way easier.)

I only play a draw mostly because I can't hit a fade. It's weird being a double digit handicap and not being able to move the ball right to left as a right handed striker. AS for this shot, I'd probably call the pro shop in advance and tell them to duck.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours