TESTERS WANTED! ×

How would you hit this shot?

Mr_Theoo

Cog Hill.jpeg

151 yards away from the green, in the rough?

How would you approach this shot? What club would you hit and what kind of shot shape would you attempt?

http://www.bestapproachflyovers.com/COGD_coghilldubsdread/flyovers.html

Here is a fly over of the hole

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Any wind?  Front/back/middle pin? Hazards around the green?

Need more info to pick a club, but depending on all that it's either an 8 or 9 up and over.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Any wind?  Front/back/middle pin? Hazards around the green?

Need more info to pick a club, but depending on all that it's either an 8 or 9 up and over.

Im looking for more photos to add, but there is a bunker on the left side of the green. and water to your right

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Choke down on 6 iron aim 10 yards left and hit a cut .....mind you that's nearly every shot I hit!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

We did this during one of my lessons. My coach set it up and said I can't go over i had to go around it. Much harder to do but it helped me learn how to hit a hook and a cut almost on command.

Depends on the depth of the rough, but most likely a full seven iron, start at the bunker, fade it to the middle of the green, leave myself a putt.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

We did this during one of my lessons. My coach set it up and said I can go over i had to go around it. Much harder to do but it helped me learn how to hit a hook and a cut almost on command.

Oh no you didn't... :lol:

Sometimes taking enough loft to just go over an obstacle and live to tell the tale and hit it again is better than playing a hero hook or cut. Especially if the lie sucks. This is course management stuff that can help keep big numbers off your scorecard. B) "No hero shots" as I call it. :P

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

8 iron up and over. I have no issues getting the ball airborne.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I'd either choke down on my 3 hybrid and play a bump & run, or hit my 7i full, depending on how rough the rough is.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I would most likely take a 6i, open the blade up, and chunk it.  Then I would take whatever SCOR wedge I would use for the remaining distance, stick it by the pin and make the putt.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Normal 9 iron with a little bit of cut. I try not to over think shots like this. Worst case I catch a flyer and it goes 5 yards too far. Still not a terrible outcome depending on the pin location.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Oh no you didn't... :lol:

Sometimes taking enough loft to just go over an obstacle and live to tell the tale and hit it again is better than playing a hero hook or cut. Especially if the lie sucks. This is course management stuff that can help keep big numbers off your scorecard. B) "No hero shots" as I call it. :P

No he said I had to go around it. He knew I could hit over it no problem. It just got me thinking differently than full steam ahead. On the course I always opt to take the least costly route.

I love this post!

Normally 150 is a stock 9i. If it's sitting up in the rough, no change. 9i to center of green. Assuming a normal lie in rough, an 8i. If it's in deep rough, I would probably use a soft 7 and play for the back of the green. Better than being in those bunkers!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

No he said I had to go around it. He knew I could hit over it no problem. It just got me thinking differently than full steam ahead. On the course I always opt to take the least costly route.

That's good. Curving the ball and lower scores are not always synonymous. Kinda what I'm getting at.

Don't practice what you won't do on course. On course, you would have gone straight over. THAT is not full steam ahead. That's taking what the scenario gives you with the least percentage of error. Course management. I don't like that he had a 32 handi practicing like that. You need control of basic shots first. And astroturf is not your friend indoors. Its easy to get away with bad swings that produce the results you want on astroturf. I'm a ball-shaping madman off astroturf. I hit it straight on course.

Sorry, got outside the box of this conversation and just trying to give something to think on.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I don't like that he had a 32 handi practicing like that. You need control of basic shots first.

I dunno.  I practice hitting draws and fades but only use them on course if I need to.  While it may not be feasable for you to hit a draw or fade yet with accuracy, if you know how to make the ball curve, I think it will help you learn how to hit it straight.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I dunno.  I practice hitting draws and fades but only use them on course if I need to.  While it may not be feasable for you to hit a draw or fade yet with accuracy, if you know how to make the ball curve, I think it will help you learn how to hit it straight.

Exactly on the bolded portion. That might be one or two shots of 80 in a round. One can get to a single digit not trying to curve it at all is the message I hope Theo comes away with. And if there is a shot you don't have to, you take it if its the better percentage play.

I had a shot like this for my 2nd on a par 5 last round of the year. Had to draw it around a tree. Rough caught the blade and turned it over. "Whack." I did it perfectly the 2nd try, but the lie after the drop was better. (Point on astroturf being way easier.)

"Glute Activator"

Exactly on the bolded portion. That might be one or two shots of 80 in a round. One can get to a single digit not trying to curve it at all is the message I hope Theo comes away with. And if there is a shot you don't have to, you take it if its the better percentage play.

I had a shot like this for my 2nd on a par 5 last round of the year. Had to draw it around a tree. Rough caught the blade and turned it over. "Whack." I did it perfectly the 2nd try, but the lie after the drop was better. (Point on astroturf being way easier.)

I only play a draw mostly because I can't hit a fade. It's weird being a double digit handicap and not being able to move the ball right to left as a right handed striker. AS for this shot, I'd probably call the pro shop in advance and tell them to duck.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Not enough information to answer this question fully. What is the lie like? What clubs do I have to chose from today?

If I am carrying my blades, I must be cognoscente that a blade hit high on the face will be woefully short. (The reason I no longer carry them as often.) But let us say that it is today and I have Driver, 2 fm's, 2 hybrids, 5 cb's and 3 wedges.

If the ball is "perched on top of the rough" a more sweeping stroke might be called for. I might take a fm or hybid or long iron, widen my stance and "pitch" the ball without closing the face that will not run much after it hits and attempt to carry to the green. Most likely the 980F 17* with a long, sweeping waist high to waist high swing with very little wrist action holding the face open. This shot goes about 150 yards.

"Nestled down in the rough" I might take a 6 iron and hit a cut but cuts with irons are not my forte. My miss is a hook, and missing a cut with a hook can be very bad. Most likely, I will take a 7 or 8 iron depending on how deep in the grass and the amount of moisture in the grass (Water causing the spin less and not stop) however, water makes the grass heavier also.

No matter which club I select here, I need to adjust my stance. The ball in the rough means I need to have a steeper AoA. Thus, I narrow my stance, move the ball back in my stance, and aim at the right side of the green and hit a draw with the club, probably 7 iron but could be 6 or 8, once again depending on weather, descending steeply into the ball.

Now, if the rough is too tall, and there is a likelihood of it grabbing the shaft the answer is much simpler. Take a SW and play a bunker shot out to the fairway and try to get up and down.

If you miss the fairway on your drive you have 3 shots to make par. Use them in your planning. You do not lower your handicap by making birdies. You lower your handicap by reducing bogies and avoiding double bogeys and worse. In the case of a missed fairway your goal now is to make par.

I can't tell how many times I have seen idiots (especially me) go for the hero shot thinking they could still birdie a hole and realistically take par out of play and make a double or worse.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Assuming no wind, I agree with hard-ish 9 iron up an over. I also agree with everyone saying not to try the hook or fade. In my opinion if you can't hit that shot 7 out of 10 times or better on the FIRST try, then you are doing yourself a big disservice taking it on course. I think being able to control high or low is much more valuable in general early in your golf career than left or right.

Driver - XR16 Pro 10.5 Kuro Kage Black 60-S
Fairway wood - Taylormade Aeroburner mini (16*)

Tour Edge XCG7 7-wood 21*/XR16 7 wood
Hybrid - Adams Pro Mini 23*
Irons - Mizuno EZ forged 5-GW
Wedges - Mizuno JPX 54*
Bridgestone 60*

Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite South SIde

He said you have to go around???????!

Then if it's me, I get in my cart go AROUND to the green, casually roll a ball out of my cart as I pull to a stop and declare loudly, " oh here it is. I thought I went really long. Looking in the wrong spot!"

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

He said you have to go around???????!

Then if it's me, I get in my cart go AROUND to the green, casually roll a ball out of my cart as I pull to a stop and declare loudly, " oh here it is. I thought I went really long. Looking in the wrong spot!"

By FAR the best approach over or around the obstacle yet. Hands down!

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Well if you put your self in that spot off the tee in the first place you obviously can hit a massive slice or hook proably at will and not lesson will fix that bad boy so aim just left or right and put the same swing you just hit that go you there in the first place :-)

Titleist AP1 irons

Titleist 913D 7.5 Degree, Stiff Speeder Tour Spec 6.2 Shaft

Wedges: Taylormade 60 d Titleist Vokey 54,56,58

Seemore Mallet Putter

Right Handed

Apple Valley, MN

8 Handicap

10885218_10205856139265562_6140026354236

Archived