TESTERS WANTED! ×

Bought new clubs ... for my 4-year-old

Aotearoa_Brad

I have to say that this has probably been my most exciting golf-related purchase this year (thus far anyway..)

My eldest daughter just turned 4 and she's shown real interest in coming to the range and practice green with me. I've taken her once but obviously my clubs are a waste of time for her. I had considered cutting down some old clubs but really wanted this to be as enjoyable of an experience for her as possible so I ordered these late last week:

PicMonkey Collage.jpg

My wife and girls have been away on the mainland for the last month and get back this coming Monday - can't wait to see her face when she sees these.

My question - do you think she'll be alright with normal range balls? or should I get some wiffle-balls for her to play with in the back yard first? 

At this stage I just really want her to enjoy playing with them so no plans for lessons other than maybe a basic grip lesson (if I can help myself...)

Any lessons you guys have about range-time with a young one? Fun exercises? Things to avoid?

That's awesome. I doubt I'll ever be a father, but that would be a thrill to buy my kid some clubs if I could.

Wiffle balls in the yard. Had the neighbor kid put a dent in my car back in the day with a real ball.

You want kids to hit everything hard. So the wiffles should be best in the yard.

Check out those foam balls called Almost Golf if they still make them. Limited flight, but soft and more weight than wiffles. Won't break windows most importantly.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

We have 4-5 year old kids in our summer clinics. It's great that you got clubs that she can call her own. That's important. The clubs may still be a little heavy, but it's all about hitting the ball so don't worry about form. The whiffle and foam balls are fine around the house. Range balls are OK at the course. Don't spend much time with the wood unless she really wants to. She will tire easily. More time can be spent chipping and putting. Attention span is short, so stop when the mind wanders. Good luck and most of all, have fun!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I can't wait to get my grand daughter out with me and introduce her to the game. She's only 20 months right now. I bought her a little putter right after she was born but I'm saving it till she a little older. Maybe when she's three?

And by the way Brad. That's a great looking setup. Y'all are going to have fun.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

2nd the Almost Golf balls.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Start with wiffle, then move to range balls.... my boy is 7 and smashes the ball so I am forced to take him to the range only. The neighbors don't like me. 

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

Love this thread and all who post here in. My grandkids are getting to the age, my three older kids all played and the boys still play. I think we are going out Friday in fact.

Let her do what she wants so long as she's not breaking anything. I had my one bot on the course at 4 but Fort Wayne Indiana was very kid friendly. He would tag along for nine on an executive course. I had his putter and a cut down iron with and he'd hit shots when he wanted to.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

That's awesome. I doubt I'll ever be a father, but that would be a thrill to buy my kid some clubs if I could.

Wiffle balls in the yard. Had the neighbor kid put a dent in my car back in the day with a real ball.

You want kids to hit everything hard. So the wiffles should be best in the yard.

Check out those foam balls called Almost Golf if they still make them. Limited flight, but soft and more weight than wiffles. Won't break windows most importantly.

Mr. Divots there is more than one way to be a Dad. So if you like kids there is big brothers, big sisters, mentors, fostering and of course the biggie, adopting. I've done all that and would highly recommend it....well I was never a big sister. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My dad got me my first set when I was a kid. It was a fisher price set. Next thing I got was plastic clubs. Those lasted a few months until I broke them hitting a real ball. My first set was awesome, the second one lasted me until this year. It brought a lot of memories for my dad and myself, and could only wish them on you and the little one.

As for golf balls, go soft early. the heavier balls will eventually be used once they get used to swinging a club.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

My dad got me my first set when I was a kid. It was a fisher price set. Next thing I got was plastic clubs. Those lasted a few months until I broke them hitting a real ball. My first set was awesome, the second one lasted me until this year. It brought a lot of memories for my dad and myself, and could only wish them on you and the little one.

As for golf balls, go soft early. the heavier balls will eventually be used once they get used to swinging a club.

SO TRUE, I wish we had this type of technology growing up. I video my kid any chance I can get. He loves hitting the ball. Sometimes off balance but at this age as long as he is having fun and hitting the ball in the forward direction then he likes it. Can't put to much pressure on them or another Sean O'Hair might happen and I DO NOT want that. LOL

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

Mr. Divots there is more than one way to be a Dad. So if you like kids there is big brothers, big sisters, mentors, fostering and of course the biggie, adopting. I've done all that and would highly recommend it....well I was never a big sister. :)

It's been a decision, rather than inability. My health is pretty bad and just don't have much energy some days. Hard to raise a kid like that. I'm an only child and much of my energy has been devoted lately on elder parent care as I'm the only one around to do it. I've had really old kids! ;)

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Got you Mr. D - Enjoy the time with them while you have it as well.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

If you want to make it really fun get some of the light up golf balls and hit at dusk in the back yard (assuming you have space)  My son got a real kick out of that, of course at 3 years old anything dad does is the most amazing thing in the world.

See my avatar pic for reference :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

thanks guys - loving the suggestions! All the girls have been on the West Coast(ish) for the last month but get back Sunday evening so I'm really excited to see them. Really looking forward to spending the next few weekends mucking around with the new clubs with Dot1 - her mind will be blown that they're pink! I found some pink wiffle balls as well so we have a starting point - I think I'll get her some of the sparkly pink Chromax balls for the putting green ;)

This is awesome! And just some FAR forward thinking...if her interest keep and she gets decent there are a TON of women's golf college scholarships out there.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

• 2 weeks later...

That's awesome! I look forward to doing the same for my daughters one day. My oldest is 2 1/2 and always grabs the putters I have laying around the office... A few weeks ago I grabbed an old cheap putter i had in the garage and had it cut down and put a pink grip on it for her. She was so excited to play golf with daddy - of course we're just knocking wiffle balls around the living room but hey, you gotta start somewhere.

Archived