TESTERS WANTED! ×

Bowlers?

Severtheties

Any bowlers out there? I've found a huge number of people here in Ohio that bowl in the offseason and golf in the summers. 

My dad was a pro bowler for a short time and is still one of the best coaches in the country. He also did well for himself when I was growing up so we were members at one of our local country clubs so I spent tons of time on the course too.

Anyone else?

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Haven't bowled in years. Was in a league once and had a ton of fun doing it.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Any bowlers out there? I've found a huge number of people here in Ohio that bowl in the offseason and golf in the summers. 

My dad was a pro bowler for a short time and is still one of the best coaches in the country. He also did well for himself when I was growing up so we were members at one of our local country clubs so I spent tons of time on the course too.

Anyone else?

I bowl.  I'm not really that good, have a 203 average, so not horrible.

I bowl.  I'm not really that good, have a 203 average, so not horrible.

203 isn't too bad to have some league fun!

Yup..long time bowler but ended it  this year. At one time myself and 2 other brothers all had 300 games (back in the day of plastic that was a big deal).  I truly think there is a correlation to golf. Both require balance, feel, and timing.

swingTI.com

TourImpactGolf.com

I am pretty darn athletic at everything. Bowling, for whatever reason, is not one of them.

But, I rarely can find a house ball that fits me worth a darn. Best I ever managed was a 187. I've always wondered about getting my own ball and seeing how I'd do. "Get fit!" ha ha!

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

My dad bowled in leagues when I was little.  That was before automatic pin setters.   :)   I eventually got my own ball and shoes and did OK through college.  Then I blew out my left knee playing volleyball, so gave it up.  Got a chance to bowl at the grand opening of a club in Russia 10 years and found that I still couldn't finish on my left leg without hurting.  Finally had knee replacement 15 months ago.  Haven't tried it lately.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The best is the pile of shoes at the door in the winter so you don't track water near the area where you walk in your bowling shoes. Haven't been bowling in a while. I'm a pretty decent bowler, I have thrown a few games in the mid 200's, but nothing really consistent at those scores.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I am pretty darn athletic at everything. Bowling, for whatever reason, is not one of them.

But, I rarely can find a house ball that fits me worth a darn. Best I ever managed was a 187. I've always wondered about getting my own ball and seeing how I'd do. "Get fit!" ha ha!

Do it and get into a fun league! It does truthfully make a huge difference...I coach jr bowlers and mainly a local high school team and thats the first thing I do before I'll really work with anyone on a professional level.

I'll admit. I haven't really thrown a ball in about 5 years with work and moving around a lot for it but I started throwing again recently and I still have it. (kinda like riding a bike) Back in college I was a 225+ average and I've had 18 perfect games. I did get into the coaching aspect which I love. A lot of similarities to coaching techniques with golf and bowling.

Its amazing how far the game has come though. My brother goes to a good private college on a half bowling scholarship and half academic scholarship. Pretty incredible that a game like bowling can pay for your college education. His team is one of the best in the country. The tournaments can really be very exciting. Cool stuff. 

Do it and get into a fun league! It does truthfully make a huge difference...I coach jr bowlers and mainly a local high school team and thats the first thing I do before I'll really work with anyone on a professional level.

How much is a ball these days? Nothing special. Having holes that fit would be super.

Oh, and shoes? No mas rentals!

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

How much is a ball these days? Nothing special. Having holes that fit would be super.

You can probably get a decent "starter" ball and some decent shoes for $200 total. Maybe even a little less. A lot of pro shops have starter kit deals too. And if they don't ask them to make one lol. 

Just make sure you get fit properly! Don't let them just throw some holes in the ball. If they at all decent they should watch you throw a few shots before they fit you. Even if your not that good.

I bowl... About once a year... And get better with beer consumption increasing

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

If you want to save some money and not have to buy a new ball, ask the pro shop guys if they have anything used, I picked up a 200 dollar ball for 85 bucks, drilled and everything, the pro had it sitting around, and it just needed be filled and redrilled, its the best ball I've ever had, shop on line for shoes too, you can find some good deals there as well. Ill photo it later today.

Why is it that you "play golf" but you don't "play bowling"?

I'm not sure how often I "play golf." More often then not I "go golfing" or "go bowling."

You can probably get a decent "starter" ball and some decent shoes for $200 total. Maybe even a little less. A lot of pro shops have starter kit deals too. And if they don't ask them to make one lol. 

Just make sure you get fit properly! Don't let them just throw some holes in the ball. If they at all decent they should watch you throw a few shots before they fit you. Even if your not that good.

Thanks. I'll think on it for sure. With my golf obsession, I have to be cognizant of taking on too many hobbies.

The hole size and the distance between the holes and their arrangement are always a battle, so I'd be sure they fit those parameters if I got one.

"Glute Activator"

Good Stuff. Ill have to get around to taking some pictures of my stuff. 

If i took a picture of my basement you'd see probably 25-30 bowling balls...some even new in the box..........my dads basement (my brother lives at home too because he just graduated college) probably has 40-50 between them....we bowl a lot........

We used to bowl a lot in the winter, but never really got into the bigger leagues that were around, when we were kids my mom had opportunities to give it a go in the lower professional ranks but with 6 kids and being by herself she really couldn't afford to take the time off to really give it a good effort.

My problem with league is that it's 35 friggin weeks; thats not doable when you have two young kids.  The most fun I've had in a league was a Monday night 4-man league that didn't start until 9:30PM and was only like 20-25 weeks.  I would love to do something like that again, since my kids would be in bed at that point.

My problem with league is that it's 35 friggin weeks; thats not doable when you have two young kids. The most fun I've had in a league was a Monday night 4-man league that didn't start until 9:30PM and was only like 20-25 weeks. I would love to do something like that again, since my kids would be in bed at that point.

I've been pushing for a long time to make shorter seasons. I think we'd ger more interest for the exact reasons you put above. I called it "semester bowling".

I grew up in a my dad's bowling alley back in the 50's and 60's. Bowled for a while on the PBA Tour during the late 60's and early 70's. My first traveling partner was a fellow by the name of Earl Anthony... we had the same sponsor. With today's equipment, the game has to a point where a 69 year-old guy like myself can average 225-230 on a "house" condition. Sad to see actually...

I grew up in a my dad's bowling alley back in the 50's and 60's. Bowled for a while on the PBA Tour during the late 60's and early 70's. My first traveling partner was a fellow by the name of Earl Anthony... we had the same sponsor. With today's equipment, the game has to a point where a 69 year-old guy like myself can average 225-230 on a "house" condition. Sad to see actually...

The PBA product of today is concerning to me. Im only 29 but I don't like it either. Its almost TOO easy. I could go on but I'll save that for another day.

On another note - that is absolutely awesome you traveled with Earl. I watched the TOC last week and Carmen Salvino bowled. It was so cool to see him still bowling a major tournament. 

My league just wrapped up last week. Sixteen weeks from October to February definitely helps keep me occupied during the offseason. Granted there's probably going to be a bit of time here in Ohio before we can actually see the course again. I think it dropped another couple inches again this morning here in Cbus. Yay. 

Adjusted signature: 

In my RotoGrip bowling bag:

15 Lb DV8 Hellraiser Terror

16 Lb Track Havok

Scariest part is I have a massive delta drill press, bowling ball drilling jig, two sets of bits and various sizing tools and practice balls currently taking up space in my basement. I got them when my old job told me to just toss it all in the trash. Drill press is still brand new and like some of the older golf gear in the basement with it, I'm not sure why the hell I still am holding onto it at this point. 

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

I bowl in a winter league. It is a long season. Ours is 30 weeks. Not having a good go at it this year though. Only averaging 189, down 10 from last year. I'm Blaming a new ball this year. Picked up a Motive Tribal, and this thing hates the oil! Can't get used to my new mark. Unlike buying clubs, buying a bowling ball is the worst. Your basically buying blind. You can talk to the guy at the Pro Shop. Try and guess your house oil pattern and where you want the ball to break. Pin up, down, left, right. Get it drilled. Roll it, and.......... Nothing! Now I have a $225 spare ball. Sometimes I think these bowling pro shop guys are worse than the kid at the big box telling me how I need to buy a hybrid just because it goes the farthest, not because it fits my set. They just don't listen! So it's back to my old ball. The nice thing about my league, is the guys I bowl with are great (league champs last year) and we have a golf tournament at the end of the season.

Driver: :adams-small: XTD Ti 9* Matrix Ozik Red Tie s flex                        

Fairway: :cobra-small: AMP 15* Aldila RIP s flex               

Hybrid:  :cleveland-small: 588 Custom 20.5* Matrix Ozik Altus

Irons: :taylormade-small:  2014 Tour Preferred MC 4-pw w/ KBS Tour s flex +1"  

Wedges:  :scatch-golf-1: 8620 50*DD w/ KBS Rev, 54* and 58* DD w/ KBS C-Taper  

Putter: :bridgestone-small:  TD-01 True Balance 34"

Archived