Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

HoganFit Is Up!

GolfSpy Barbajo

Just got an email from Hogan -- the HoganFit online fitting program is back up and running.  Here's the link if you want to try it...

http://www.benhogangolf.com/HoganFit

I tried it the day it was first up last month -- it's pretty thorough.  Let us know what you come up with if you give it a whirl....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

10 minutes, 11 clubs....

hoganfit.JPG

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

HoganFit needs some work.  

I input my set makeup which includes 5 SCORs (42, 46, 50, 54, and 58) and it told me that I needed 43, 47, 51, 55. and 59.  WTF!   Of course it added 4 other irons (39, 35, 31, and 27).  On the next to the last page showing the bag mapping, it said:

Shaft:  Graphite Recoil 660 F3

Flex:   R-flex

On the last page:  Here are "Your Hogans" it said:

Shaft:   KBS Tour V

Flex:   Stiff

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well, I started it, and page one looks like a market research survey moreso than a fitting program. I didn't fill it out.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I filled it out. The results were not surprising. I have a big gap in the wedge range between the 60 and 53. So of course it wants to go 52,56 and the eliminate something in the longer part of my bag.

Honestly I've considered that, make the 7 2 degrees stronger, 8 1 degree strengthen the 53 to 52 and add 56.

Regardless you have to take any recommendation anything makes and supply your own input. I also though it was odd that they didn't ask for the brand of my wedges, I already bag 4 SCORs but their survey didn't pick that up because of the way the questions were asked.

I got the recoil shaft R but normal length where my current scores are 1/2 inch over standard.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm surprised, since I'm a SCOR owner, that I didn't get the email from them.

Maybe they saw the expression on my face at the PGA Show when I left the Srixon hitting bays ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

HoganFit needs some work.  

I input my set makeup which includes 5 SCORs (42, 46, 50, 54, and 58) and it told me that I needed 43, 47, 51, 55. and 59.  WTF!   Of course it added 4 other irons (39, 35, 31, and 27).  On the next to the last page showing the bag mapping, it said:

Shaft:  Graphite Recoil 660 F3

Flex:   R-flex

On the last page:  Here are "Your Hogans" it said:

Shaft:   KBS Tour V

Flex:   Stiff

I also bag 3 SCORS (48-53-58) plus the Nike VR Toe Sweep, and an online fit can't possibly understand why I'd intentionally have a "weird gapping," but the Nike is in the bag because it works differently than the SCORs (and I LIKE that).  I also thought their results didn't really match my actual gapping and added an iron loft that would basically match one of my hybrids.  It also seemed to "assume" the "current iron set" is fitted with stock shafts.

It's probably a good tool overall, as far as "online fittings" go, but it definitely has its limitations.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Comparing my current set (2014 Tmag TP MC) with the Hogan fit recommendations, the lofts are pretty much on, with the exception of 1* stronger in the 4i and the Pw. The lie angles start out 2* flatter but end up the same at the Pw. The shaft lengths start out at 3/4" longer at the 4 and end up the same at the Pw.  

I'm very interested in why this is? Any of you guys know their reasoning behind building a set like this?

Driver: :adams-small: XTD Ti 9* Matrix Ozik Red Tie s flex                        

Fairway: :cobra-small: AMP 15* Aldila RIP s flex               

Hybrid:  :cleveland-small: 588 Custom 20.5* Matrix Ozik Altus

Irons: :taylormade-small:  2014 Tour Preferred MC 4-pw w/ KBS Tour s flex +1"  

Wedges:  :scatch-golf-1: 8620 50*DD w/ KBS Rev, 54* and 58* DD w/ KBS C-Taper  

Putter: :bridgestone-small:  TD-01 True Balance 34"

I'm very interested in the clubs but NO THANK YOU to their loft recommendations. If they had it their way. I would have 62, 58, 54, 50, 46, 42, 38, 34, 30, 26, 22 to go with my 13* fairway wood. Seriously... And the shaft recommendation was awful. Kbs tour v.... Common now.

Look I'm not saying it's a bad process bc it would prolly help the majority of golfers. Just not going to work for me lol

With that said I still want the irons. Bad.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

My bag fitting was spot on with their recommendations overall. I just don't know why they changed my wedges by one degree. My 5-8 iron they replaced with their # equivalent and the long clubs were the same.

wbealsd, I also am surprised that I haven't received any email asking if I want a set. Maybe they will after this "fitting". This tells me that they can't fill orders yet, so they aren't asking. I still like them, but without trying the mid-irons and not getting some kind of SCOR break, I may just wait.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I do not want to sound negative in any way here and if I happen to offend someone I apologize in advance. There is no way I would spend that kind of money on a set of clubs based on a "computer model" Personally I would have to be fit in person by a real human being. Off the present subject that is one of the reasons I did not pull the trigger on the Hopkins wedges and ordered my Wishon wedges and my friend and I fitted them up for me. In the past few years I have become a big proponent of proper fitting. My conjecture is that by some of your posts that some of you also have doubts on the recomendations they gave

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I do not want to sound negative in any way here and if I happen to offend someone I apologize in advance. There is no way I would spend that kind of money on a set of clubs based on a "computer model" Personally I would have to be fit in person by a real human being. Off the present subject that is one of the reasons I did not pull the trigger on the Hopkins wedges and ordered my Wishon wedges and my friend and I fitted them up for me. In the past few years I have become a big proponent of proper fitting. My conjecture is that by some of your posts that some of you also have doubts on the recomendations they gave

I know what you mean, Stu.  But from what I've been able to learn, they don't really want you to spend that kind of money without actually hitting the clubs and going through a real, live fitting either.  They've been spending the last several months putting together a network of fitters, and will start shipping demo sets out to those fitters by the end of March.  Clubs will be available for purchase sometime in April.  Their relative success will depend on how well that model works, but I can say they're committed to making that model work.

Been through a lot of online "fittings."  Wilson has one that's pretty good, along with just about every shaft company out there.  They are what they are -- unless you REALLY knew what you want/need, online fittings are just a starting point - at least that's the way I look at it.

The KBS Tour V is one of their standard shafts -- I actually changed mine to the C-Taper, because that's what I've been fit for by real people. Comparing the lofts to the last set I was fit for (Wilson FG Tour V4's) - Hogan fit basically gave me a 3.75 iron, then a 5 - PW and 3 wedges (51-55-59. Just noticed the 60* wasn't checked - don't know why it was included on the list). Their philosophy is to give us more options from 150 yards and in -- I guess that makes sense.  By comparison - the Wilson set I was fit for by their tour fitter included a 17* hybrid, a 24* utility iron (instead of a 24* 4 iron), and then 5-PW with lofts identical to the Hogans.  Wedges are 52, 56 and 60 - one degree weaker then the Hogans - so basically it's the same set, minus the hybrid. 

$149/club is a hell of a lot of money - I wouldn't spend that without a real live, honest to goodness fitting either. I can tell you that when it comes to feel, the Hogan's are pretty remarkable (Top 4 for me from Demo Day - with Wilson, Bridgestone, Srixon) - Theoo posted a video review in another thread, the reviewer described the feel of the club as remarkable and unique - that description is spot on. I'm nowhere near enough of an expert to get into the nuts and bolts of it, but the Hogans also seemed pretty forgiving to me, as well.  

I guess there are 2 larger questions:

1. What do you think of the philosophy of more options from 150 yards and in?   

2. Are you intrigued enough to demo the irons when/if they're available near you?  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

1. I agree although they are hardly the first to say it and I've already started to consider one more on the bottom end by tweeking what I currently have.

2. I will because I love my SCORs.

Adding one Hogan to the mid bottom of my bag, tweeking the Wilson's is the most likely scenario for me. I'd end up dropping my "6" iron.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I went through it last night. They suggested 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46, 50, 54, 58. KBS Tour V in S flex. Pretty much the same lofts that I'll have with the MP-54s I just got fit for except my 5 iron will be 27*. I'll probably also have my fitter bend my 45* SCOR to 46. Really there's no difference for me in terms of 150 yards and in. It's 8 iron and less for me. Same with my Pings. I do like that they have a decent amount of shaft options. Guess we'll see if they'll be available anywhere around me in April. Still interested in trying them out.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

They recommended almost exactly what I already have in my bag.  Including the lofts and shafts I'm playing.  Spooky.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I don't worry about "gapping" as much at the top of my bag, as the percentage of the time we make perfect contact with the longer clubs is so much lower.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I don't worry about "gapping" as much at the top of my bag, as the percentage of the time we make perfect contact with the longer clubs is so much lower.

My starter set was driver, spoon (3 wood), 3,5,7,9 and putter. When faced with an in between shot you almost always had to go with the loner club. It was amazing how much easier it was tI hit the ball solidly that way. As I got better I realized that if I hit fade the ball went shorter so I learned that as a way to take a little off as well.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Yeah, I don't practice a ton, so I like to load up on wedges so I can do more full-ish swings with the wedges, which takes less practice.

"Glute Activator"

Yeah, I don't practice a ton, so I like to load up on wedges so I can do more full-ish swings with the wedges, which takes less practice.

This is why I bag GI irons. I have little blocks of practice time because I can go during lunch. I'd rather spend them chipping and putting. I've found there's a full shot benefit to practicing pitches.

I'm pretty serious about dropping a longer club and putting a 56 in.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Ok. Went over and tried the Hogan Fit thing. I'll admit that based on their basic input some of the recommendations were fairly close to my custom fit specs. Fairly I said. But that's about it. I pretty much knew the Hogan app would say my set was wrong and they could recommend a better fit. For one the recommended clubs would be too long. The shaft is a huge one too. Hogan recommended an R flex of some flavor. That's fine. I do play with an R flex... an AeroTech I-80 Steel Fiber. These were selected for me through testing by my fitter in his shop. These shafts were chosen for many reasons including the proper bend profile and torque, etc., etc. My heads were all custom bent for proper/preferred loft, lies and face angle. To be honest... I don't really care too much about all the technical data. I just want performance and noticeable results. Which I got.

Bottom Line: I get that Hogan or anyone else selling clubs on the internet need to offer an online fitting experience. I would too. But.... I personally wouldn't purchase clubs that way. Having been through a full and complete hands on fitting; it's the only way to go in my humble experience. I will say this... I'd rather see a guy fit himself online like Hogan offers than just pull a set off the rack at a local retailer.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Barbajo  Yes I am open minded enough to try them in person when they get to my area. Not saying they are not as good as what I have but remember my iron heads were custom ground at the factory for me and then totally fitted to me but you never know. I know there are several on here that liked the SCOR wedges. Back in the day I was not a Hogan fan because the irons except for the wedges did not sit good for me but that is not saying in the past or present they are not a good product

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

This is why I bag GI irons. I have little blocks of practice time because I can go during lunch. I'd rather spend them chipping and putting. I've found there's a full shot benefit to practicing pitches.

Absolutely. I've even straightened out driver before doing nothing but half swings with it. People look at you like you're nuts bunting out a bucket at the range, but it works. Square contact through the impact area and transferring the weight to the front foot being the goals.

"Glute Activator"

Barbajo  Yes I am open minded enough to try them in person when they get to my area. Not saying they are not as good as what I have but remember my iron heads were custom ground at the factory for me and then totally fitted to me but you never know. I know there are several on here that liked the SCOR wedges. Back in the day I was not a Hogan fan because the irons except for the wedges did not sit good for me but that is not saying in the past or present they are not a good product

No worries Stu -- just wanted to make sure folks know that, based on my conversations with Hogan people, they're keenly aware that serious golfers won't buy clubs online without being able to hit them.  And the model they've chosen - 44 clubs between 20* and 63* - really dictates custom fitting.  Can't speak for anyone else, but I know I couldn't wade my way through that without some help.  

It'll be interesting to see how this business model works for them - almost by definition it seems like a start small and grow slowly proposition. The business and marketing end is the part that fascinates me -- how do you carve out a profitable niche in a crazy market?  You certainly can't do it by following the leaders, I wouldn't think...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I tried it too. Personally, I'm kinda "meh" on this whole thing. Maybe because I've never tried Scor wedges but from what I've seen from the guys who really believe in these wedges, they bought them then got them fit and now they swear by them being the best wedges. It really just proves that getting custom fit for any club is the answer imho.

As for the online fitting, it seems to pick out our lofts all nice and dandy but it never asks for any measurements like length from wrist to floor and stuff. How do we know what lie do we need? 

A guy like me has zero options in choosing to get custom fit so I have to buy online and basically throw darts blindly. Would like to see a more comprehensive fitting system. 

I don't know, maybe I'm asking too much but I've really soured on all this Hogan talk. I wish them the best and all but....

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I am sure that when they get their dealers up and working that a proper fitting will be available. When I got my SCORs, I went through their online fitting process similar to the Ben Hogan fitting online. The lofts were all wrong for me. When I order I talked with Barry Simpter at SCOR and he said that I should used the same specs for the Ping i20 wedges that I replaced. I was fitted for the i20s, so I ordered the SCORs with the same length and 1* less lie because the SCORs were already flat by 1*. Without having a true custom fit, the SCORs were spot-on and feel great.

However, because the Hogans are a completely new club and the shaft is not exactly the same as my SCORs, I will not order without hitting them and comparing what exact loft I would need to replace my 8-iron on down.

Do they have to pay a royalty to any company that was able to do a true fitting that they then tell their customers to use to order the SCOR product? Oof. Bad way to operate.

"Glute Activator"

Do they have to pay a royalty to any company that was able to do a true fitting that they then tell their customers to use to order the SCOR product? Oof. Bad way to operate.

I don't think that's how they do it, but I'll check on that the next time I'm in town.

I already had my SCOR wedges when we got a local fitter, who then later added SCOR to his product line after we discussed my wedges and I gave him their contact info.

I think they did the fitting and ordered directly from SCOR, then when the SCORs were delivered to the shop, they'd "double check" them in case you needed any "tweaking."

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I really want to,change the makeup of my bag, I may drop the 5 iron and add a wedge, (3 new wedges actually, and then adjust the 4 hybrid, to the loft of the 5 hybrid, and leave a gap at the top of the bag, I really want to get fit for the wedges, but I really don't know where to go, first thongs first though, I need to save the money.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

My take on HoganFit is that Hogan doesn't consider online fitting in any way a replacement to a professional, cut fitting with a qualified fitter. If you think about it, it's more a guide to get you started and maybe think about proper gapping in your set.  I'd consider it a starting point, not a definitive exclamation staying "this is what you need, send us your money."  

If it were me and I were considering Hogans, I'd probably print this out and bring it with me to the fitter to get things started.  Wherever the fitting goes from there is the important part.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

So, when will we know where all of the Hogan fitters are located around the country?  Surely they must know where their fitters are going to be located by now.  I am pretty sure that there won't be one within 200 miles of me, but I would consider a trip if it were a convenient location.  

Archived