TESTERS WANTED! ×

research - your help needed!

gentleman mongoose

I would like to ask you to take time out to answer a few questions for research purposes. 

1, What putter do you use and why?

2, What are the specs of your putter?

3, How long have you been using the current putter in your bag?

4, Do you commit to a specific method?

5, How do you rate your putting performance on a scale of 1 to 10?

I look forward to your responses

I use a nike method 00 half circle putter.  It feels nice and rolls well, and I like the look of it.

Specs are stock 34 inches

I have been using this for 6 months

I am pretty much straight back straight through

I would say I'm an 8

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to ask you to take time out to answer a few questions for research purposes.

I look forward to your responses

1. Never comprise gambler limited

2. 34" long 3 degree loft 70 degree lie angle 340g head superstroke mid slim putter grip.

3. Just got it. Rolled a few putts inside

4. I tend to grip down more before I take a stroke. It's more about comfort than anything.

5. I don't know really. According to my stats I generally purr 1.7 to 1.8 on a simulator and my putting average on my golf frontier app is around 32.4 I believe. I'm on what seems a never ending quest to find the right feel in my putter. I pretty much pity the same no matter what putter is in my hands. I'm looking for the feel, a specific feel, more than anything.

I guess 6 or a 7 maybe

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

1) Cameron Newport2 Buttonback

2) 34.5" 355g 2* flat

3) 2 years

4) I putt with a inside down the line method

5) 8

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I am fascinated by putting and studies like this, and appreciate you sharing your insights. I am a blade user, but prefer a mid-mallet shape. Sight lines and high MOI tend to make me lead with the heel which doesn't work well with my stroke which is slightly tilted to the right.

Curious about what your thoughts are around weight and offset, and what you see with your studies. Furthermore, I am often amazed when pros switch, particularly to putters that are opposite what they have used, like Jim Furyk using the $39 Yes blade at the Tour Campionship several years ago, when he has favored a face balanced mallet.

Thanks!

I am also fascinated by aspects of specifics of putting

Releasing the putter head for you is very important. Your right hand is the dominant hand your optical preferences are for as little stimulation as possible and to square the face of the putter by setting it perpendicular to the target line. Rhythm and tempo are the key to your performance.

Offset is determined by your dominant eye & relative ball position combined with the amount of shaft lean/hand position at address. Think Zach Johnson and his right eye dominant, hands back position as opposed to Jack Nicklaus and his dominant left eye, hands forward position.

If a putter is cut down to 32" or less then the weight should be heavier. A 2 ball putter at 32" is way too light. I also believe that heavier putters help you to engage the larger muscles and reduce the influence of fast twitch muscles. 

Back weighting is something I recommend strongly to most golfers and it is standard on my own brand of putters. I have developed my own system of weighting under the lower section of the grip and I can add weight at 20gram increments. Back weighting is very effective (there are a high number of tour pros who use it) and proven to help on short range putts.

As for top golfers using different putters I also find it fascinating to see such things as Luke Donald, Jim Furyk, Sergio, Lee Westwood, Vijay all changing types of putter regularly. I believe that Jim Furyk would perform well with anything. They make decisions on whether they feel that their technique is working with them or against them. If they are becoming too erratic with rotation/release then they drift towards a stabilising putter. If they are lacking feel and need to develop their release then then drift back towards a blade style. One thing to remember is that these guys are playing and training constantly with access to knowledge, analysis, equipment technicians and training facilities. They can cope with adaptations to their stroke and understand what and why it needs to change. For the regular golfer it is best to find a method that works and stick with it.

Driver - Titleist 910 9.5° Diamana 72 gram stiff shaft

17° FW - Titleist 910 diamana 72 gram stiff shaft

Rescue - Titleist 909H 21° voodoo stiff shaft

irons - 4 - PW Ping Anser stiff steel

GW - Magregor 52° VIP

SW + Lob - Vokey's

Putter - Burton Custom Prototype - 2.5° loft, 68° lie angle, 375 gram head, 20° toe hang, non offset,  Back weighted 75grams.

Isn't that true about the entire game GM?  So often we want to run after what the pros are doing and we fail to remember that they are pros.  Isn't it true that we would do well with something more consistent through the bag?

Lots been made about Snedekker's recent win with older equipment.  When you go to Champion's tour and LPGA events, where the equipment dollars aren't as significant, you often find older equipment (older being 3-5 years) in the bag. 

I think it's always wisest to find what works and go with it.  The problem is that when something goes wrong we are running after the fix rather than thinking, "It's the day or there is something a bit off in my stroke(swing) or the most likely culprit my fundaments (ball position, etc.)"

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

When I was at the Senior Open a couple of years ago, I noticed Pavin still uses a BullsEye putter!

medium_corey-pavin-26.jpg

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

My Dad won all his club championships with a Bullseye putter. My older bro still uses that very same putter. I don't like the feel of it but pretty cool to see Pavin using one

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Pavin uses a golden goose by John Letters and is in my top 3 along with Mark McNulty (also a golden goose) and Loren Roberts. I love the fact that the best putters of all time use old putters. Another common factor is that they most have the toe hanging down (heel slightly raised off the ground). This promotes an inside arc on the backswing. How many amateur golfers have the toe in the air? 

Brass is the best material ever for making putters. It is not used because it costs more to manufacture. It is soft, responsive and due to its density can be used to displace more weight to the perimeters. The common trend is to make putters from 303 stainless and add grooves for reduced ball contact or an insert which is soft and lacks responsiveness. 

I sat with a group of formula one engineers last year and explained that 303 stainless is considered a luxury metal for putter manufacturing and they almost fell from their chairs laughing. It is the cheapest and most common form of stainless steel.

We need to look back at the old boys and learn from how they did it. We have not made any progress regarding innovation. The last great innovative breakthrough was in 1966 with the Ping Anser.

GW - Magregor 52° VIP

SW + Lob - Vokey's

Putter - Burton Custom Prototype - 2.5° loft, 68° lie angle, 375 gram head, 20° toe hang, non offset,  Back weighted 75grams.

Maybe it's time I pull my "Cash In" out of storage and give it another try ;)

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I think I have mentioned it before, so sorry for the repeat.  When I was traveling last year to Albuquerque NM, I played at the Sandia GC with rentals; complete Titleist bag including a Bullseye putter.  I much prefer a face-balanced putter so when I saw that I thought it was going to be a miserable round of golf.  I spent about 45 minutes on the putting green with it, and I had a great round.  I don't think I would ever consider one, but I can see where a pro that has always used one would be pretty good with it.

I have also mentioned that I have only had 3 putters since I took up golf 23 years ago now (has it been that long, wow).  My first putter was brass with a unique hosel that curved around from the shaft and attached to the head on the back of the blade behind the ball, so was face-balanced.  It was made locally by a guy trying to start a business but he didn't last long.  I was a terrible putter when I started, but maybe I should dig out that old putter and see how it works.  If I find it, I'll try to post pictures in another thread.  It was very unique.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think I have mentioned it before, so sorry for the repeat.  When I was traveling last year to Albuquerque NM, I played at the Sandia GC with rentals; complete Titleist bag including a Bullseye putter.  I much prefer a face-balanced putter so when I saw that I thought it was going to be a miserable round of golf.  I spent about 45 minutes on the putting green with it, and I had a great round.  I don't think I would ever consider one, but I can see where a pro that has always used one would be pretty good with it.

I have also mentioned that I have only had 3 putters since I took up golf 23 years ago now (has it been that long, wow).  My first putter was brass with a unique hosel that curved around from the shaft and attached to the head on the back of the blade behind the ball, so was face-balanced.  It was made locally by a guy trying to start a business but he didn't last long.  I was a terrible putter when I started, but maybe I should dig out that old putter and see how it works.  If I find it, I'll try to post pictures in another thread.  It was very unique.

I would love to see pictures of the old putter! Get digging please!

GW - Magregor 52° VIP

SW + Lob - Vokey's

This is an awesome thread! I suck at putting, and the information in this thread is very impressive. I'm going to have to try a few putters this year and see if at least some of my putting woes are equipment related.

If your putter is not set up right then you cannot judge whether you are a good putter or not. It is like running a race with a sprained ankle and saying that you suck at running. You could be a good putter but don't know it!

Check out aim point for a workshop in your area and find a good fitter/coach. If you make a 10% improvement on your putting then this is 3-4 shots per round. 

GW - Magregor 52° VIP

SW + Lob - Vokey's

I would love to see pictures of the old putter! Get digging please!

OK, I found it.  I started a new thread to post pictures.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 3 weeks later...

Odessey metal x milled, I like the look and feel of the number 9th

35" 3* loft 70 lie. These are standard for the putter

1.5 years

No specific method. You have to create new method or Strategy every time.

I would like to rate 8.

http://minoritygolfassociation.com/ is my Home ground and I like to play match with golf lover if any one intrested let me know.

1.  Now that I've had a chance to putt outside, I've put the Yes Callie back in the bag.

(I've been switching between Yes, Nike Method Core and Odyssey #6 for past few years)

2.  34" 2.5* Loft / 72* Lie, standard for this model

3.  Off and on, 3 years

4.  No, have taken Aimpoint class, but stance and grip based on feel, very little arc and short stroke

5.  Streaky, presently about a 5-6, average

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Archived