TESTERS WANTED! ×

Quick Look: Lamkin Technique Putter Grip

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Technique-08.jpg

It's getting to be about that time again. You are likely so bored by winter that you are just staring at your clubs. Thinking about your game. Wondering what you can do to play better this year. It could be that you just need to get a little fitter, and maybe take a lesson or two. That's my current plan. It's the responsible approach, but not that fun.

Fun requires new gear.

I do like me some newness in the golf bag. Why I just spent the past few hours, yes hours, strolling around the net looking at different potential new iron sets. I know that some of them could really make a difference this year, but I also know that most of them also cost about a grand. That's an expensive experiment.

A cheaper way to get “new” clubs is to keep your current sticks, but slap some new grips on them. I've mentioned this before, but it's still true. Putting on new grips, especially a different style, really makes the clubs feel different.

Putters are no exception. A new grip is a much cheaper way to feel like you have a brand new putter, and perhaps even putt better.

Lamkin Technique Putter Grip

Technique-09.jpg

This is the second Lamkin putter grip that I have messed around with in recent months, with the other being the I-Line.  I am a fan of the I-Line. I think that some of you may be as well. Didn't I send a few of you a grip to demo? :)

This Lamkin grip, named Technique, is kin to the I-Line perhaps only in name. Where the I-Line had a classic profile, and was available in multiple colors, the Technique only comes in one multi-colored variant. It does come in two sizes though: midsize and oversize. Yep, no standard on this one.

Midsize

Lamkin Technique Mid.jpg

Oversize

Lamkin Technique jumbo.jpg

Technique is for well... Technique!

Technique-11.jpg

The Technique grip really is about helping you with your putting technique. (If only the name made that clear to the consumer.) This is a grip that has you and your hands in mind, designed in such a way that you can consistently grip the putter in the same spot, and by doing so, putt the same way each time.

This is not a new concept. Colors and reminder ridges have been a part of golf grips for a long time. The Lamkin Technique just really lays it out there. You have circles for thumbs. Lines for fingers. Variable colors. Basically, there are multiple visual and textural landmarks on the grips that will help you put your hands on the grip at the same place each time.

Technique-01.jpg

Technique-05.jpg

As a bonus, the multiple lines and circles allow you to systematically try new hand positions, hopefully ending up with the position that best suits your game. Standard, reverse-overlap, claw, or cross-handed grips all line up with the alignment guides.

Dave's Take

Technique-02.jpg

Of the two, I bonded more with the jumbo version of the grip. It really fits my hands better than the midsized. Thumbs rest easily on top, and though the fingers don't ever hit it, the groove on the bottom of the grip also helps me to know that my hands are square, or at least in the same position.

Technique-10.jpg

The grip has a great level of squish. Not so soft that it is mushy, and not so hard that it lacks feel. Think baby bear's bed. Maybe it's time to buy a durometer tool...

Technique-06.jpg

Full disclosure, I don't really like the way that these grips look. It's not terrible, it's just that the lines and circles don't strike an aesthetic chord with my eye. I bet some of you will immediately be drawn to the looks. That's the beauty about beauty.

Technique-03.jpg

However, I absolutely do like how the grip's textural elements feel. As much as I like my putter's grip to match the overall visual theme of my putters, I'm willing to overlook my shallow foible if it results in better putting.

We Will Try This Again...

OK my MGS brethren, I have a couple of these to pass along to you for your input. Rules are simple. First to ask, gets a grip. I have two of each size to pass along. All I need from you is a commitment to actually put the grip on a putter and share your observations in this thread. Honor system in full effect.

I'll keep the list below updated with availability:

Lamkin Technique Midsize: HadSolo & ACcustomX

Lamkin Technique Oversize: GotBlades & jacustomgolf

Check out the Lamkin Technique page HERE

Technique-04.jpg

Technique-07.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I have a putter that needs a grip. Currently using SS 3.0 on my others. Which ever one is close to that would be awesome.

Driver: :adams-small: XTD Ti 9* Matrix Ozik Red Tie s flex                        

Fairway: :cobra-small: AMP 15* Aldila RIP s flex               

Hybrid:  :cleveland-small: 588 Custom 20.5* Matrix Ozik Altus

Irons: :taylormade-small:  2014 Tour Preferred MC 4-pw w/ KBS Tour s flex +1"  

Wedges:  :scatch-golf-1: 8620 50*DD w/ KBS Rev, 54* and 58* DD w/ KBS C-Taper  

Putter: :bridgestone-small:  TD-01 True Balance 34"

I like the bigger grips, but I don't think it would fit in the putter well of my bag.  If it did, I think it would be a ****** to put in and take out.  I'd give it a week before I couldn't stand it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Really like the idea of the sizes, patterns, and textures, but not a fan of the color pattern either.

And yes, I owe you an i-Line review. Just as soon as I get a free, warm (er) day to get out to the range. Thanks for the subtle shaming. It worked, I feel guilty!

@KW_Johnston

Driver: Callaway XR

3 Wood: Nike Vrs

Hybrid: Adams Idea Super LS

Irons: Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal 4-GW. N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X

Wedge: 54 Callaway Forged

Wedge: 58 Bettinardi

Putter: Taylormade Ghost Black Indy

• SPY VIP

Really like the idea of the sizes, patterns, and textures, but not a fan of the color pattern either.

And yes, I owe you an i-Line review. Just as soon as I get a free, warm (er) day to get out to the range. Thanks for the subtle shaming. It worked, I feel guilty!

If only my son was so receptive :)

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

I have a putter that needs a grip. Currently using SS 3.0 on my others. Which ever one is close to that would be awesome.

I think that puts you in midsized. I'll double check in a bit when I get home. Oversize is not a Fatso, but it's larger then the 3.0, I believe

Volvo Intorqueo

I'd try the oversize grip

Looks like a good sized grip

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Have a Scotty Putter & have used both size grips SS model

when I struggle with one size change to other

In other words would not care which size you sent

would love to try out & give some feed back

also as a hobby  build clubs for many players & re grip weekly

so they will see & get to try it out for themselves

thanks

richie

I would like try the midsize if selected. Reviewing my putting and looking for the right combo of grip and putterhead.

Sorry- missed the message saying that was all!

Titleist 915D2 9.5 set at A4

Tour Exotics CB2 15*

Rogue Pro Irons 5-Aw 2* flat

Vokey SM6 56* S and 60* K

I'll be interested in the feedback on this, I'm a sucker for Lamkin grips and I actually like the looks of these!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

It's a bit of a 1977-78 tennis shirt look.  Kinda throwback! 

I remember those!  Of course, I'm old...

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Got the oversized grip yesterday. I opened it this morning and so far it is a great feeling grip. The texture and lines are distinct but not so much you get distracted. It seems like it will be very easy to grip in the same spot each time. I will be installing it this weekend. With more to follow.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Full disclosure, I don't really like the way that these grips look. It's not terrible, it's just that the lines and circles don't strike an aesthetic chord with my eye. I bet some of you will immediately be drawn to the looks. That's the beauty about beauty.

Seahawk colors......> 

Looks like a good grip, though it would need to come in other colors.  It's that "beauty" thing.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

How much do they weigh? I guess one thing I like about my Superstroke Ultraslim 1.0 is that its about the same weight as say a Winn standard putter grip and it doesn't shift the balance point too much.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Got mine today. I'll get in on tomorrow and give it some rolls on the indoor putting green and get a full review for you guys.

Initial thoughts - Nice looking grip

- Feels good in the hands/tacki feel

- Tappers more than it looks in pics

- Light, but not SuperStroke light (58g)

How much do they weigh? I guess one thing I like about my Superstroke Ultraslim 1.0 is that its about the same weight as say a Winn standard putter grip and it doesn't shift the balance point too much.

My Jumbo came in at exactly 82 grams on a well used but very reliable digital scale.. :-)

The look is kinda growing on me to be honest.  That, and I LOVE the way it feels in my hands.  Lamkin grips have always appealed to my tactile senses and this one does not disappoint.  This grip seems to accomodate more than one style of putting.  I use a traditional stroke and grip but I can see where claw guys, etc would like this one too.   

It's clear to me that they wanted this grip to feel different than the competitor's and they have done that.   Great outer skin on this one.

Wondering if the jumbo would work on my Ping putter? Keeping looking for a new grip for it. Tried a putter at a store a couple of weeks ago. It was an oversize and sure felt great on the practice green. May just order both sizes and see how each feels. Thanks for the reviews on these.

Also will be playing golf 3 days next week. Temps around 70 for a high, but first to get away from this stinking ice and snow. Ground is rotten and can't get off the path here without hip boots.

Pete

Working on a full review now. If not tonoight, I will have one up tomorrow.

So I have installed my Lamkin Technique putter grip.   This grip have a very nice feel to it and it makes me feel more in control.  I had the Super Stroke Fatso on last year and I will not go back.  I love the grip reminders on this and now I know I will be gripping the putter the same way each time.  Attached are a few photos.  Very good grip and great feel.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

• 1 month later...

A report back on the Lamkin Technique putter grip.  So far this putter grip has helped out a lot.  I have been very inconsistent with my putting grip in the past and this grip with the dots and lines helps me out a lot in that area.  I have gotten more confident with this putter grip and started to make more of the 8-12 foot putts that I sometimes struggled with.  Again a very good product that will be on the putter all year if not longer.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

• 3 weeks later...

Could you put a tape measure across the butt end of the grip and tell us the diameter of the different grips?

Driver - Callaway Paradym 9*  w/Fuji Ventus Blue stiff 

Fairway - Callaway Epic Speed Heavenwood

Utility Wood - Callaway Apex UW 19*

Hybrids - 3 , 4, 5 Ping G425

Irons - 5 - PW Ping G425

Wedges -50, 54 Mizuno S23 , 58 Maltby Max Milled

Putter - L.A.B. Mezz 1 Max

Bag - Mizuno

Cart - Alphard powered Caddy Tek 3 wheeler

Silence is Golden, Duct tape is Silver.

Another3putt, I can get you the measurement on the oversize grip on Thursday.  I do not have the midsize grip, but will do my best to find out what it is.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*