TESTERS WANTED! ×

Weekly MGS Forum Survey

JBones

Distance or Accuracy  

47 members have voted

1. 1. On a 7000yd course would you rather be.....

• 300 in the rough
    • 250 in the fairway
  2. 2. On a 6200yd course would you rather be.....

• 300 in the rough
    • 250 in the fairway

If the am doesn't hit the fairways on par 5's, they're three shotters. Advantage: pro.

I'll take Lydia's 3W on a 230 par 3 over a long-hitting am all day long. All day.

Gonna putt better than her? Get up and down better? Nope.

The difficulty of courses they're accustomed to is a big advantage. Plus, all the pressure is on the am to play the round of their life to beat her. She needs her B game. Walk in the park.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on where the differences in yardage occurs.  If the difference is made up on par 5's, it's a 3-shot hole and probably no real advantage gained.  Long par 3's could be a problem, especially with forces carry.  Long par 4's would require a very good short game.

For the record, Royal Melbourne is a very tough track for both men and women, playing at 6741 yards.  Lydia Ko is averaging 255 off the tee and hitting 84% of fairways.  Not bad for 17.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If the am doesn't hit the fairways on par 5's, they're three shotters. Advantage: pro.

I'll take Lydia's 3W on a 230 par 3 over a long-hitting am all day long. All day.

Gonna putt better than her? Get up and down better? Nope.

The difficulty of courses they're accustomed to is a big advantage. Plus, all the pressure is on the am to play the round of their life to beat her. She needs her B game. Walk in the park.

This couldn't be more wrong.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Depends on where the differences in yardage occurs. If the difference is made up on par 5's, it's a 3-shot hole and probably no real advantage gained. Long par 3's could be a problem, especially with forces carry. Long par 4's would require a very good short game.

For the record, Royal Melbourne is a very tough track for both men and women, playing at 6741 yards. Lydia Ko is averaging 255 off the tee and hitting 84% of fairways. Not bad for 17.

The course I had in mind, Mirimichi, has long everything. Par 3s with a forced 220 carry, 600yd par 5s, and par 4s from 346 (only one under 423 and drivable for me) to 476. I still like my chances.

The course I had in mind, Mirimichi, has long everything. Par 3s with a forced 220 carry, 600yd par 5s, and par 4s from 346 (only one under 423 and drivable for me) to 476. I still like my chances.

Yesterday, the women's had 4 par 4's over 430 and one par 3 at 221. I don't know the details of the hole layouts, but my money is on the girls.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yesterday, the women's had 4 par 4's over 430 and one par 3 at 221. I don't know the details of the hole layouts, but my money is on the girls.

There courses are set up with super fast and firm fairways and really soft greens. They can't spin the ball like the men do on the firm stuff. Not saying they aren't great players but they play a different golf course than the men would play. And I'm not just talking about length.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Length matters just like height in basketball matters.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

No respect, bones.

I think a major problem with golf is the emphasis that everyone puts on length. From manufacturers to the tour. The U.S. Open at Merion was awesome.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I think a major problem with golf is the emphasis that everyone puts on length. From manufacturers to the tour. The U.S. Open at Merion was awesome.

It was but if the weather had been similar to what was in pinehurst it would have been a birdie fest.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

"Length" only helps if it's consistent and controlled. One or two lucky shots that go long amidst 8 or 9 miss-hits or wild long shots only gets you in more trouble.

Height in basketball only helps if you can play.

Length in golf only helps if you can play.

I really wanna see this happen: even a journeyman lpga player would still beat him is my bet.

Bones vs LPGA player! Let's find someone who'll do this! How cool would that be?!?

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

"Length" only helps if it's consistent and controlled. One or two lucky shots that go long amidst 8 or 9 miss-hits or wild long shots only gets you in more trouble.

Height in basketball only helps if you can play.

Length in golf only helps if you can play.

But you can't teach either. There are plenty of guys in the nba who got there all on height.

I don't care how tall someone is. If they can't play worth a crap and stumble over themselves, they're not in the NBA.

The occasional long good shot in golf doesn't equal "length" either. The average of all drivers hit and whether they are playable is what determines if someone really is long. When most are ob or unplayable or miss-hits dribbled out there, that's not length.

If someone 10% of the time catches a good one, no matter how "long" , they're not on the PGA Tour.

I really wanna see this happen: even a journeyman lpga player would still beat him is my bet.

Bones vs LPGA player! Let's find someone who'll do this! How cool would that be?!?

I vote for Sara "No H" Brown.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Length should be an advantage. I'm not hating on it. Even on short courses. Playing from the same tees, the longest guys should be hitting shorter clubs off the tee and into greens which should give them a substantial advantage. All I'm saying is that I think too much emphasis is placed on length in general. I think this is a disservice to kids coming into the game of golf. I'd rather watch a guy with a brilliant short game play than a guy that hits it 330 off the tee.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I don't care how tall someone is. If they can't play worth a crap and stumble over themselves, they're not in the NBA.

Google Manute Bol

How about Spud Webb and Mugsy Bogues?

Spud could jump out the gym.

Length should be an advantage. I'm not hating on it. Even on short courses. Playing from the same tees, the longest guys should be hitting shorter clubs off the tee and into greens which should give them a substantial advantage. All I'm saying is that I think too much emphasis is placed on length in general. I think this is a disservice to kids coming into the game of golf. I'd rather watch a guy with a brilliant short game play than a guy that hits it 330 off the tee.

The ones who scare me are the guys with both. But that's pretty rare.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

How about Spud Webb and Mugsy Bogues?

How about Fred funk and Corey pavin? There are always outliers. Doesn't mean that is the norm.

"I didn't have my A game today; let's try again tomorrow."

What is this "A game" you speak of??????????

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

Wow this has turned into a thread!  Where is the respect for the gals on the LPGA?  They are pros plain and simple, unless there is something exceptional going on they are going to wax any of us.  In the same way that good women's college basketball teams practice against men, not the very top in the world men but very, very good men basketball players in practice, LPGA players regularly play courses in practice at over 7,000 yards - they play from the tips - the yardage is not going to bother them anywhere near as much as you suspect - many of their players average over 260 plus off the tee, some of their players do hit 300 yard drives, they are very good at golf.

I think that Mr. Theoo's post about length mattering in golf just as height does in basketball is spot on.  It's a factor, not the only factor but a factor in the sport.  Having written that who is the greatest basketball player of all time?  I'm not going to answer because that will get us on a tangent but the answers will almost all include a group of players who have a combination of height, shooting ability, passing ability, tenacity.  Unless you are going Wilt Chamberlin (who by the way could do lots of stuff besides being tall) the player you choose won't be close to the tallest.  BTW last year Kentucky's starting lineup was an average of 3 inches taller than UConn's - who won the championship?  What was the deciding factor?  UConn's guards at 6'1" and 511" against Kentucky's who were both 6'7".

Length is important, but so are approach shots, up and downs, putting, accuracy that goes with the length, etc.  Handicaps are derived from the rounds that we submit that are played on particular courses, at certain distances.  They have built in factors for adjustment so if you take your differential and she takes hers (it could be calculated) you will discover the gap between your game and hers and you can have a fair handicap from the set of tees that you select.  I guarantee she's not being intimidated by the distance that you hit the ball, the distance of the hole, the obstacles to over come, etc., she would not be the number 1 player in the world on her tour if she got easily intimidated.

The only hope is to find a course with lots of forced carries that are a distance longer than she could possibly carry the ball with no alternate route.  Of course then Bones is banking on not mishitting drives on those holes too.  I suppose it's possible to find such a course but is that really golf at that point?  The PGA tour doesn't allow that to happen.  I was at Whistling Straits which can play at 7,600 and it was never set up to play close to that yardage because there was fear that people in the field couldn't carry the 250 to reach fairway on a couple of a holes.  Those were men, this was a major, it's an unreasonable course set up.

I really hope we can arrange something like this so that some of us here have our eyes opened to see how good these women play.  I like Sarah Brown but she is not even a middling LPGA player, who's the other woman with the dark hair that's on morning drive - that's the one you'd want, she played on the LPGA for real.  Do you think she plays off the ladies tees when the crew goes out to play together?  I guarantee that she and Charlie Reimer play off the same set of tees and she gets a few strokes.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Length is a factor. By itself it's meaningless. Guys chase length thinking that translates to score. It doesn't unless you can really play. If you can really play, you can score even if you're not a "long" hitter. That said, yes, it's a definite advantage IF the length doesn't prevent you from keeping the ball in play. Wild and long is a liability, not an asset.

Google Manute Bol

Example from at least the last DECADE, please.

I remember that era in the NBA. It was worth forgetting.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Great post Rev.

Again, there is a reason why WE watch them on TV week in and week out.  

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Okay here's a current example Mr. Divots - Hashem Thabeet. 

Although I know we won't stay there back to the original question of the thread in response to Blade - long and in the rough is not wild from my perspective nor from the perspective of the guys on the PGA tour hence the less than 60 percent fairways hit stat that has become the Tour standard.

Long and in trees, hazards, OB, that's another matter but that was never the question that Bones posed - it was 250 in the fairway, 300 in the rough for you as an individual golfer and did it matter based on the length of the course.  So I don't get to take Lydia Ko's game at 250 vs. Bones at 300 or me at 300 or anything else - this is all me - would I rather be 250 off the tee in the fairway or 300 off the tee in the rough, no trees in the way or penalty strokes.

For my game that's a no brainer - I can't answer for anyone else though because your game may be different from mine.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Okay here's a current example Mr. Divots - Hashem Thabeet. 

Who plays for the D league Grand Rapids drive?  :rolleyes:  I'll need someone featured on at least the bench on a current NBA team. LOL! There aren't any Shawn Bradleys in the league anymore. B)

"Glute Activator"

Archived