TESTERS WANTED! ×

Success & Failures for 2010?

• SPY VIP

I wanted to get all your opinions in regards to the equipment that has come out in 2010.

Which do you think were successes and which do you think were the failures so far in your opinions?

#TruthDigest

to early for 2010 failures i know of none right now, but in 09 it was the ftiz from callaway that blew up in my mind so much hype and all i have not seen one person have one in there bag to date.

but maybe the 2010 failure is the the groove rule and not just a club???

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

I think 2010 Adams and Cobra look to be successes with their solid product lines for both the low and high handicapper!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I agree with JB, Cobra and Adams particularly are winners and should only do better as the CB1 and CB2 Irons come out. Loosers? I think those Oddeysey Backstryke putters are going to bomb, and Callaway hasn't made a compelling golf club since the Steelhead driver, have they?

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I think OEMs stopping production of square groove wedges/irons will be a big mistake since 99% of golfers need that extra help checking the ball around the greens.

I think OEMs stopping production of square groove wedges/irons will be a big mistake since 99% of golfers need that extra help checking the ball around the greens.

Bingo, and whom ever continues to produce these for the common golfer will be a wedge winner of the year!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

It's been a good year for Callaway (FT-9 still strong, Diablo irons selling well, and the FT-Tour has been HUGE on Tour).

I think Adams has done with for themselves too. The Speedline Fast 10 is a very solid driver, and there seems to be a fair amount of interest around the black lineup.

Hard to say that anyone is having a bad year...I'd say both Mizuno and Titleist have been extremely quiet since the beginning of the year.

Despite a marketing onslaught, I'd say I'm also not feeling a lot of buzz around Nike's lineup. Strange since I think the Victory Red is 5 times over the best driver they've ever made. Maybe as goes Tiger, so goes Nike...

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I don't think that is entirely accurate. Heck, it might even help some amateurs on that occasional chip that they pure. When that happens it stops on a dime and they didn't expect it.

So far this year I am liking the urge towards black colored clubs. They just look so much better, IMO.

As for specific companies, hmmm, I guess I don't really know. I know what I like, but that doesn't change much year to year. I don't know sales figures or anything. But, here we go:

Titleist: No movement so far. I expect them to release something in the fall, next spring at the latest.

Mizuno: Their MP Titanium woods are the best in the market, IMO. But very very pricy. Their irons speak from themselves.

Taylor Made: Same as always, great woods, meh irons. But now the new wedges seem to be cool, but they started very pricey.

Nike: Their Machspeed irons are very underrated, but I don't like the woods. The VR woods are decent, the Method is great, and their wedges are solid.

Cleveland: The DST line is solid, and I love their putters for the price.

Callaway: I've never been a fan of Callaway, and I'm still not impressed.

Ping: Again, not a fan, and no change.

Adams: I love love love the Speedline series, but only the drivers. I don't like any of their woods or fairways, but the new irons are great.

Bridestone: They seem to have disappeared. I liked their irons a few years ago, and nearly bought them, but no I can;t find them anywhere.

Cobra: I really like the S2 3 wood and driver, but that's about it.

Bobby Jones: They just don't come up with enough clubs. They are like the anti-Taylor Made.

I think Cleveland released the best wedge they have ever produced in the CG15. The CG7 Black Pearl irons are generating a lot of buzz also.

Ping scored huge with the G15 and I15 drivers and the G15 irons.

Did Titleist come out with anything compelling? Maybe they would be the failure.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

I agree with the Titeist question, not much happening there.

More often than not Titleist (and Mizuno too) release new products in the late summer/fall time frame. With Titleist, this is especially true of woods. My guess is new driver/woods, and potentially hybrids later this year. I'll reserve judgement until then. If anything, I respect the way the company moves at its own pace; without the need to release 2 new drivers every 3 to 4 months.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

More often than not Titleist (and Mizuno too) release new products in the late summer/fall time frame. With Titleist, this is especially true of woods. My guess is new driver/woods, and potentially hybrids later this year. I'll reserve judgement until then. If anything, I respect the way the company moves at its own pace; without the need to release 2 new drivers every 3 to 4 months.

We should likely expect to see new Titleist woods coming out on tour in the summer, then maybe a fall release (like the 909 series) would be my guess.

Ending square groove production is a failure for sure and it has done nothing to bring down scores on any tour.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

Callaway is having an awesome year...what are you guys on? FT-Tour is one of the best drivers callaway has ever made. X-Prototypes and X-Forged are some of the best irons out there. so they are from being unimpressive

• SPY VIP

looked at the Nike VR hybrid yesterday. Do not like the color scheme. Gray top and face is just too strange at address for me. can't see these selling much.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

looked at the Nike VR hybrid yesterday. Do not like the color scheme. Gray top and face is just too strange at address for me. can't see these selling much.

I feel the same way. Too bad because they are solid clubs too.

• SPY VIP

I feel the same way. Too bad because they are solid clubs too.

It did feel ok when I hit it, but I don't think that I could get used to the look. Was also hitting the exotics hybrids. what a great sounding club. like the montore shaft too...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Archived