Mizuno 2015 Balls - ‘Dimple-clusters’ for extra airtime

Our Sponsors

I'm with Jas, the pricing is madness. I'm a Mizzy iron player, I was seduced by a premium Mizuno ball...and then I looked at the price tag and realised I don't buy brand-new ProV1's because they're too expensive, I'm not shelling out the same or more for a ball whose performance is unreviewed and unconfirmed.

They seem to have Patrick Reed levels of confidence that they'll succeed as I only saw one retailer knock £1 off the RRP throughout the whole of last year/the first year they're onsale. It never looked like they were flying off shelves and yet the price didn't waver.

MGS have spoken about how the golf ball market is a waste of time for most golf companies, (though I reckon Cobra could sell a few orange balls) it looks like Mizuno are doing their level best to enter the top-tier.

At least the less than premium ball looks like it's had some thought put into it this time.

Last years entry level ball could have been a stone for all the attention and marketing it got.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I've picked up previous generation tour mizuno balls when they're on sale, but no way is their full price acceptable.

I found the ball to be on a par with the other tour level offerings from the major manufacturers. But not as long lasting as my prefered pro v1 x.

The ball that may be of interest is the cheaper JPX, I was given one of the D201 balls from last year and for a cheap ball (£14.95 a dozen) I thought they were very good indeed.

If I get a chance to pick up 3 of the jpx balls I'll do a little review, but they aren't that widely available even in the UK in pro shops.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if the are available here in Oz but am going to see if I can source some and will review them if I can get them.  Hang flex men I will prevail!

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Pretty smart of them not releasing in the States... One word- Titleist.

Its not because of Titleist.  Its more the fact that, just like with putters and golf shoes, Mizuno is a small company and simply doesnt have the resources to invest in the marketing campaign that would be needed to break into these markets.

Titleist isnt the problem, the money and resources of Nike and Taylormade are.  Whats funny is, people who have actually tested the Mizuno MP-S and Pro-V1 side by side say that Mizuno is better.

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Irons: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* and Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 Blue Ion 54*

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Its not because of Titleist.  Its more the fact that, just like with putters and golf shoes, Mizuno is a small company and simply doesnt have the resources to invest in the marketing campaign that would be needed to break into these markets.

Titleist isnt the problem, the money and resources of Nike and Taylormade are.  Whats funny is, people who have actually tested the Mizuno MP-S and Pro-V1 side by side say that Mizuno is better.

Titleist have pretty big resources too - especially when you're talking golf balls. 

Mizuno is not the small company you alluded to though - their profits regularly top $1 billion and believe it not the revenues are higher in the States than in Europe (but are both way behind the Asian market).

What is baffling though (as explained earlier) is the price point of the Mizuno balls in a well established market. It's not that their balls are any better or worse than any of the market leaders, it's that they're too costly. A marketing strategy that is quite frankly ludicrous - given that their own tour players struggle to find a spot for their ball either, it makes it almost insane.

Shame on you Mizuno - the MP-S should be at least Â£10 /dozen cheaper to attract any attention. And in testing, I rate it below the ProV1 anyway. Get back to us when you can pitch it a price point that is easier to swallow.