Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Does golf need an American to rival Rory?

Mr_Theoo

While I don't think it needs a rival for Rory it would be nice if one comes along. Like a college football rivalry it's not as much fun if one side just keeps winning.

Who do you think will be able to rise up and challenge Rory?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

The two best young and players I can think of that might have a chance is Rickie and Jason Day. I'm looking forward to see what Rickie can do this year after the year he had last year and him working with Butch.

And Day being healthy again gives him a great chance to have a big year

I know Day isn't American, but he's certainly one of the top young talents on tour.

TIBA Putt - Discover your best stroke.

I think Dustin Johnson could do it if he could keep his sh*t together. I'm hoping he does.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Anyone besides me thinking Jordan Speith?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

The two best young and players I can think of that might have a chance is Rickie and Jason Day. I'm looking forward to see what Rickie can do this year after the year he had last year and him working with Butch.

And Day being healthy again gives him a great chance to have a big year

I know Day isn't American, but he's certainly one of the top young talents on tour.

I'm a big Jason Day fan. I see a few Majors in his future.

Anyone besides me thinking Jordan Speith?

I think he's got the game to be one of the top players on tour, especially as young as he is. He's one of those slow and steady players. Not much flash, but rock solid.

He just doesn't have that appeal that a Rickie, Rory, Dustin, Jason Day or even Bubba have. So not that he couldn't be atop the leaderboard all the time, I just don't think people will think of him as a rival to Rory.

TIBA Putt - Discover your best stroke.

I think he's got the game to be one of the top players on tour, especially as young as he is. He's one of those slow and steady players. Not much flash, but rock solid.

He just doesn't have that appeal that a Rickie, Rory, Dustin, Jason Day or even Bubba have. So not that he couldn't be atop the leaderboard all the time, I just don't think people will think of him as a rival to Rory.

We will see what people think when he wins his first major.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Golf needs to stop devoting too much airtime on one individual and focus on the game as a whole. The "Tiger effect" has thankfully waned lately and despite of his meteoric career, the media euphoria that went along with it created a blood lust for TV viewers and idiotic threads like "who is the next Tiger?" and "do we need an American rival?". Nope - you just need to play golf. If thats not fun enough for you, then perhaps you need to pick another sport. I've heard baseball is interesting and they love stats.

It is the way the media works Jas. Many a good young player melted under the "next" Nicklaus mantle. It's intriguing to speculate how much or little the players at the top influence the number of recreational golfers. I suspect some and in Tiger's case plenty.

In regards to an American to rival Rory? I like Spieth's game but wonder about his relative length. Pretty tough to compete on many courses when your rival is 30 yards past you and in the middle. Despite the fact that he's a bit longer that holds for Rickie too. From my perspective I'd say it's Dustin, if he doesn't self destruct or Bubba, if he can get a bit more consistent.

Does Golf need it? Well the best players in the world as a group have played in Europe since the mid80's. We were so star starved that we grabbed hold of an Aussie who had a pattern of losing majors to keep our tour afloat while waiting for Tiger to grow up. He and Phil gave us a great one, two duo but the depth still belonged to the Euros.

We either need the depth or a star.

Many may not like this assessment but Cup results over the past 30 years make it pretty clear as to who has the better depth of players. Being an American I hope that changes this decade.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

To be honest I think Patrick Reed has the game to be the man here in America. Reading the post last month about him I think we can all agree he need to change his attitude first. It's one thing to be great and perform at that high level but to actually come out and say it is another.

Titleist AP1 irons

Titleist 913D 7.5 Degree, Stiff Speeder Tour Spec 6.2 Shaft

Wedges: Taylormade 60 d Titleist Vokey 54,56,58

Seemore Mallet Putter

Right Handed

Apple Valley, MN

8 Handicap

10885218_10205856139265562_6140026354236

It's golf. It's a world sport. It isn't like American football or European (football) Soccer where 99% of the populations only follow their brand of "football". Golf is unlike any other sport, in that a huge faction of the world plays and watches it. 

Other than the Ryder Cup, I rarely (never, really) get carried away with rooting for "the American". I just like to watch any of them play well. I could be wrong, but I'd bet most golf enthusiasts feel the same way.

So, no..... Rory doesn't "need" and American rival. It would be good for the game if he just has his "Phil" to push him and compete with him..... that's what makes golf fun to watch, not Americans vs. whomever.

I would like to Rory actually be a dominant player, I don't think he is dominating the sport like some are suggesting, h won a tournament this season, and you could probably name about 4 other players in the entire field, if he is dominant , where was he during the tour championships last year when billy horshel dominated everyone or the year prior when henrik stenson dominated everyone, don't get me wrong her, I think Rory is a great player, but he is not dominanting the sport

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

In regards to an American to rival Rory? I like Spieth's game but wonder about his relative length. Pretty tough to compete on many courses when your rival is 30 yards past you and in the middle. 

I know what you mean. He doesn't hit it that far. Kind of like Zack Johnson eh?..  with 11 PGA Tour wins. Zack's currently 198th in driving distance. Hmmm? Go Jordan!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge Jordan Speith fan. I would love to see him do it. Not to mention the fact that I'm sick of distance being so empowered by everyone.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I think Speith has the talent and youth to challenge Rory. But I don't care if it's an American or Japanese - just give me a little drama and a good slug-fest like Federer/Nadal. In the post-Tiger era (sorry, Tiger fans, he's through), the sport can use a good matchup week after week.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Archived