Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Has anyone ever worked a PGA Tour event?

mudfish

The Turning Stone Championship is coming in August, and I was considering volunteering. BUT, I don't know which day would be best? Should I do a weekend, and be able to watch the winners, or should I go on Wednesday when everyone is more laid back, and there are less crowds?

What are your experiences?

Technically, it's not volunteering since I would need to pay $80, but here is the blurb from the website...

Each volunteer will receive a uniform package(Polo, rain jacket, and hat), badge valid for all week, dedicated parking, two (2) Good Any Day credentials for a guest, a meal token for each shift you work and the ability to qualify for a round of golf and other special offers.

Also what are should I work?

Consessions

Maintenance

Carts

Marshals

Maintenance

ShotLink

Tournament Office

Runner

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I would LOVE to do something like this, but I'm guessing air fare and hotel accomodation isn't in the package :D

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

The Turning Stone Championship is coming in August, and I was considering volunteering. BUT, I don't know which day would be best? Should I do a weekend, and be able to watch the winners, or should I go on Wednesday when everyone is more laid back, and there are less crowds?

What are your experiences?

Technically, it's not volunteering since I would need to pay $80, but here is the blurb from the website...

Also what are should I work?

Consessions

Maintenance

Carts

Marshals

Maintenance

ShotLink

Tournament Office

Runner

YES YES and YES.

i cant tell you how much fun working and yes exhausting a tournament is. get the job either in the locker room - tips :rolleyes: - or on the driving range - golf balls.

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

driving range would be cool... didn't see that option though...

Still trying to decide on a day too...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

An opposing view for the sake of being fair and balanced. :rolleyes:

The first tournament I worked was the ICO in Hartford in the late 60s as a marshal. We got a day off work provided we also worked one day on the weekend. It wouldn't have been half bad had the Jaycees who were running the event not been such arseholes.

The second and last event I worked was the 1995 Senior Tour Championship in Myrtle Beach. I was a standard bearer or "sign boy" if you will and talk about a bastardly job, especially in the pro-am where you had to change the scores every hole. We walked while the players rode in golf cars. The amount of money I had to pay for the hideous golf clothes, which I never wore again, exceeded what it would have cost for a weekly pass.

The best job I saw was the guy who shuttled people around in a golf car. He was free to go wherever he wanted 99% of the time and got to see a lot of golf.

Semper Fi

My Club

I've done it several times. I've been a volunteer caddy three times (for pro-am tourney), caddy master twice(good for getting some swag), and I've done the walking scorer three times (good for getting inside the ropes and getting an up close look at the players and some golf). The walking scorer is the guy that follows the group with a little hand-held computer thing. You record where and when they hit shots to and from.

It's customary for both the sign carrier and walking scorer to get an autographed golf ball from the players in the group you work.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I was thinking about doing this for the BMW Championship last year, but it got away from me. Definitely would like to do it this year. The point about the cost of volunteering vs. a weekly pass is a good one though. I'm off to check the details of volunteering this year.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 2 weeks later...

I had a conversation with an acquaintance of mine this past week and he told me that he had worked for Shot Link for two years when the Tour was playing at the Westchester Country Club.

Greens duty appeared to be the best job if you worked for them - He said you were running all over the fairways otherwise.

One other thing to consider - He had to be there at 5am :) every morning - something to consider if you're not an early riser.

Best of luck - rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

Sounds like work, but fun work

JB - he wasn't complaining per se, just groaning at having to be there so early.

Heck, he went back for the final year of the tourny, so it could not have been too bad. :(

On a side note, my wife and I were lucky enough to get comped passes to Westchester and I have to tell you I was never more impressed with the professionalism at the way it was run. Having been to other events they could write the book on how to run an event like this.

What made it even more special was that short of Tiger we were able to see most every golfer of note - (Mickelson,Furyk,Sergio,Ernie...) from about 15' -

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

I am a member of the Youth Services Club in Virginia Beach. We do a huge party, call the Oyster Roast, every year to raise money for local youth charities. The Roast is all you can eat and drink, 3 live bands, BBQ, Soups, Oysters, and Chicken. The party is a blow out, but we work Friday before the event setting up from 8am to 3pm, the event from 6:30am to 7pm through the event, and Sunday cleaning up and packing from 8am to 3pm. HARD work, but we have a blast.

My point is, sometimes, hard work is fun!!!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived