TESTERS WANTED! ×

Create your own putter (details inside)

Tinkering

The last post by xMassacrex got me thinking I should throw this offer out there to the rest of you guys.

Anyone that would like to create their own putter design, I would be happy to help. I use solidworks but could provide the model in a number of other formats.

Basically I would collaborate with any of you on a design, 3D model it in solidworks, and then from there it is up to you.

Personally I have turned the model into prints, milled up the design on a manual Bridgeport Mill, and sent one of the prototypes to the usga for their approval. From start to finish the process took me about 6-8 weeks. That includes ~4 weeks waiting for a decision from the usga.

I can do a further write up of the process from start to finish if anyone would like more detail/pictures, etc.

Feel free to use this thread for concept art, questions, requests, etc.

Thanks!

• TM M1 430 w/ Speeder 757 X

TM Jetspeed w/ Fuji X 13.5*

TM UDI w/ Recoil 120 F4 21*

TM 2011 TP MBs 4-pw X100ti

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

TM Ghost Tour Black Monte Carlo

Pro V1

It sounds pretty awesome, I'd love to hear more about the one you've already sent in.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

My brother-in-law runs the CNC at a machine shop, is this something I could give him and he could make on that?

Well the first one was a total prototype, to see how the process works.

0320141740_zpsmn3vyaej.jpg

0320141740a_zps04oru2vg.jpg

0320141740b_zpstszgxiez.jpg

0320141741_zpssiba3apv.jpg

0320141741a_zpsi28rypy8.jpg

Someone asked me to make them a ball marker, here's how that turned out.

0325141307_zpsronm2xzn.jpg

0325141307a_zpsd0lgshgu.jpg

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

Pro V1

He runs a cnc mill, lathe, punch press, laser? There are lots of types of CNC machine. If he runs a cnc mill then I would assume he could make it in a day or so depending on the complexity of the design. I can manually mill a couple of the above putter design in one day, but that is because it is all sharp lines. Curves require a Mill with cnc or significant hand work and skill.

Certain CNC lathes could also make most putter designs depending on the model.

Depending on the type of shop he works in, they may also have a cam package that would be capable of taking the solid model directly into their software and generating a program for the CNC Mill to use. This would be the way to go if you end up making multiple or have something very intricate and somewhat difficult to dimension (think of something with a lot of curves that go straight into other curves)

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

Pro V1

Not sure what type it is. I'll find out more info.

Here is a license plate he did for my golf cart. He has mentioned milling a putter for me before so I'm assuming the ability is there.

image.jpg

Edit. Here is the text I just got from him, does this make sense to you?

" If it's a 3d model and an iges no problem!!!! Could be fun"

Very cool. If he has mentioned it before I'm sure he could do it then. PM me and I'll get you my phone number. Call me over this weekend sometime and we can start on a design. It's a pretty fun process and with the 3d software I can show you what I come up with at different stages of the development.

Something to keep in mind if you start day dreaming any designs... Weight. I can help you with material densities to adapt your concept into a weight range that will work for you and feel good. The one picture above was made from an aircraft grade aluminum. Tougher than your typical 6061 aluminum and a little denser. Something like that could then be sent out to be anodized in all types of colors or left raw like mine.

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

Pro V1

You guys are truly only limited by your imagination and the usga guidelines for putter design, which are pretty simple and straight forward honestly. My prototype was approved on the first attempt. Simply doing your homework ahead of time results in a pretty timely verdict as well.

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

Pro V1

Not sure what type it is. I'll find out more info.

Here is a license plate he did for my golf cart. He has mentioned milling a putter for me before so I'm assuming the ability is there.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Edit. Here is the text I just got from him, does this make sense to you?

" If it's a 3d model and an iges no problem!!!! Could be fun"

That photo looks like it could be incorporated into the bottom of your putter, and with some colorful paint fill would look really nice

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Just out of curiosity, are you an engineer by any chance? Or is making putters your full time job? Or am I wrong with both guesses?

I have worked my way up in a couple of machine shops from the kid sweeping the floors during college to working in the engineering department of two small businesses. So you got the engineering part, but no I only do the putters on the side.

For anyone that is skeptical about the process, I truly can help you turn whatever crazy idea you have into a realistic model. I have had models with removable weight systems, 2 piece designs, mallet and blade, etc, etc.

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

Pro V1

This is very interesting to me, I've always had this kind of thing in my head. I may need to draw something out on paper and see what I come up with

If you are able to send a 2d hand sketch of the front, back, top, bottom, left, and right views with some basic dimensions you want I can put something together and send you pictures or a 3d video.

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

Pro V1

O and I'd also be happy to help out with the usga process if you want to get the prototype approved. Keep in mind this would be a free application, but they keep the putter head, you just have to pay shipping to NJ.

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

Pro V1

Thank snake, my mind is always going , I guess that why I like working 3rd shift, I can let my mind work And come up with things like this, the problem I have is getting the image I see in my mind, on to the paper and making look logical

Well if you ever want to just throw out ideas, I'm pretty good at making them turn into something. Then it can be changed and tweaked from there.

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

Pro V1

As you know SnakeBit, I've already decided on and purchased a new putter. But I really would love to see this take off for you, and to see some of the stuff you and another member can work up!

It's probably best that I purchased a putter anyways, as having a blank slab of metal to let my mind run wild, isn't necessarily easy for me to do! Haha.

But, I'll follow this thread closely and please do us all a favor at MGS and post a TON of pictures and details of the process! It would be a blast to follow this from start to finish!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Not a problem. I'll be sure to post plenty of details for everyone's projects.

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

Pro V1

I drew the face earlier today and it looks A lot like some of Mavericks tad Moore putters he is always posting, but it is a freehand drawing that I made I am having trouble drawing the top view and bottom view because I see it in 3d but can't translate it to paper. I will send a photo when I can get one. I have a vivid picture in my mind, I just can't get it from my brain to my hands

Not a problem, a lot of people struggle with drawing views, so you are certainly not alone. Yeah if you are able to give a photo with a suitable weight range, I can come up with a starting point pretty quickly.

For everyone's reference my email is tws1098@gmail.com

Feel free to send pictures, ideas, etc. Directly to me.

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

Pro V1

What's the cost on this?? I would love to design my own putter I have a few ideas.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

As far as creating anyone a 3d model with video and jpgs, I would take small donations for my time, but it's really not necessary.

For the actual creation of the putter, it totally depends on the design. One like I posted with straight edges I can mill up at my work in a day and would only charge for the material and shipping (again donations for my time would be accepted but not necessary).

I am not trying to push a business or make a profit here. I really enjoy modeling and milling up putters. It's a neat process.

So to summarize:

---3d modeling is free (I will take as much time as you like revising the design)

---Manufacture depends on the design, but I can quote you a price from a local shop to have it done on a cnc, which I may be able to make cheaper by roughing in the shape before sending it out.

---Shipping will be on the buyer

---If you want one sent to the usga for approval, you will have to have 2 made as they will keep the one that is sent.

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

Pro V1

Here is an example of a 3d model I created for someone recently. It is a 2 piece design with an aluminum insert and ss body.

Stealth Putters - Prototype 04 Assy. 1.JPGStealth Putters - Prototype 04 Assy. 4.JPGStealth Putters - Prototype 04 Assy. 3.JPGStealth Putters - Prototype 04 Assy. 2.JPG

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

Pro V1

Very nice, I am trying to create some basic putters on Solidworks as well. It's harder than I thought when taking things like weight and material into consideration.

Hey, Whiskey.

If you have any specific questions regarding designing putters in SW feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help you out. 

Tim

If you are able to send a 2d hand sketch of the front, back, top, bottom, left, and right views with some basic dimensions you want I can put something together and send you pictures or a 3d video.

So can you output it in Mazatrol? AmsterDam? EIA?

Have several designs I would love to try.

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

Snakebit, still trying to get my around what I'd like to do before I contact you.  I keep going back and forth between a wide blade along the lines of a Piretti Matera/Odyssey #1 wide and something more like a Scotty X5/Odyssey #7.  I'm leaning more towards the wide blade.

I do have a question though, Do you mill the hosel all in the same block as the head?  Or do you have to make that separate and get it welded on?  Does it matter if it's a plumbers neck or a flow neck?

Hey, Whiskey.

If you have any specific questions regarding designing putters in SW feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help you out. 

Tim

Thank you for offering to help, I'll be sure to ask questions if I run into something. I haven't had a ton of time but I'll be on break in a couple weeks so I can toy around with the design then.

Snakebit, still trying to get my around what I'd like to do before I contact you. I keep going back and forth between a wide blade along the lines of a Piretti Matera/Odyssey #1 wide and something more like a Scotty X5/Odyssey #7. I'm leaning more towards the wide blade.

I do have a question though, Do you mill the hosel all in the same block as the head? Or do you have to make that separate and get it welded on? Does it matter if it's a plumbers neck or a flow neck?

I would not be able to mill a hosel with my equipment, but that could be done at another shop. And as long as they rough the shape first, the CNC time to make the hosel and head one piece would not be that bad. Time for any of these designs is the killer. Material for a putter is dirt cheap, it's the time programming or writing a cam program that costs you. At my last work place I could have programmed or cammed the design for you guys for a really good price but I switched a few months ago and do not have the same tools at my disposal. I will quote a couple of designs soon to give you guys some ball park numbers.

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

Pro V1

So can you output it in Mazatrol? AmsterDam? EIA?

Have several designs I would love to try.

I do not believe we have any direct conversion software, but many companies with CNC capabilities do. What I can do is send a solid model in many formats which can be converted in a 3d milling program if you have access to that sort of thing. I have some experience with mazatrol but that was with a camming program or manual programming at the machine.

If you are able to tell me what format you would like the solid model in, I can tell you if I can do that.

TM EF Spin 52*/ATV

TM EF Spin 58*/ATV

Pro V1

Archived