TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hardest Course You've Ever Played (in the U.S.)

Zeasy

This ones a tie for me...

1A.

Bull Valley GC in Woodstock, IL

7,325 yards 77.2/151

Golf Digest toughest in America

Hazard and OB every hole, lots of blind shots.

Very stupidly played it a few years back in a state open qualifier sight unseen. Slight drizzle and overcast day with decent 15mph wind. Normally par or better gets out for these events but 79 made it out. I ran out of balls on 18 (bring 6 when I play) both of the kids I played with (one Boston College, the other TCU) didn't even come close to breaking 80. Rough day. Remember striping two balls down the middle (or so I thought) only to find out they were in water. Cool.

1B.

Fox Run GC, Eureka, MO

8,038 yards- no idea what the CR/Slope is from those tees

Normal 7,232 yards 74.6/144

They used to host a Big Dog Shootout here back when I played college golf, now I think it's no longer, but they still host numerous qualifiers and section events. I remember one par three was 300 yards, 285 carry over water. There were also par fives over 700 yards, one being 750+ iirc. It was a LONG day. Played the course again a few years later from the normal tips and it was still pretty difficult, but I'll never forget playing over 8,000 yards!

I'll second the suggestion for Ko'olau, on the east side of Oahu.  Lots of forced carries, and off the fairway is generally a lost ball.  From what I've read, it stays pretty wet due to its location on the windward side of the mountains, so there's little to no roll.

I got to play the Tournament Course at PGA West no long ago, expecting it to be really tough, but thought it was demanding but fair.  It seemed like there was adequate room off the tee, some bail-out room for most shots, but the closer you got to the green, the more precise you needed to be.  

I have to play there, I was born there but moved when I was two.  I go to hawaii every 3 years for reunions but never go to oahu, that is the only reason I want to go to that island at all.

Driver M3- Fujikura Speeder Pro X

3 Wood  Titleist TS2 15*  Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Utility Titleist MB 3 iron KBS C-Taper X

Irons Srixon Z765 5-PW DG AMT White X

Wedges by committee

Taylormade Spider Tour w Gravity Grip

I would say Chambers Bay, 7165, 75.6 and 139 slope is the "biggest" course I have played.  Handed me my butt, I can't explain it but it makes you feel miniature when your out there.  It is the most penalizing course I have played.  Looks wide open but anything less than B shots are going to produce a large number.  And it was dead calm the day I played it.  They only had the 6500 tees open, they wouldn't let people play the back two sets of tees the day I was there.  The USGA getting their hands on this and then adding 1000 yards is going to be brutal.  My yardages are the same as Justin Rose and 6500 yards almost killed me.  

2nd toughest is Jim Engh design in michigan called Tullymore.  7250 yards, 76.4 and a 150 slope!!!!   Disaster lurks everywhere.  Built on a marsh, greens are not that bad, every yard up to and around them is terrifying.  We tip out everything, every time and that one we only did it once.  Now we play one up from tips and it still is the 2nd or 3rd toughest course I have played.

Hawktree in Bismarck is a brutal and beautiful track as is Bully Pulpit in Medora and Links of North Dakota in Ray, ND.   All completely different, brutally hard and outstanding golf courses.  They have a "triple play challenge" we did last year.  All three have course ratings over 75!!  Its a tough weekend to say the least.  But bucket list type experience.

Driver M3- Fujikura Speeder Pro X

3 Wood  Titleist TS2 15*  Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Utility Titleist MB 3 iron KBS C-Taper X

Irons Srixon Z765 5-PW DG AMT White X

Wedges by committee

Taylormade Spider Tour w Gravity Grip

No scorecard, I'm afraid, because it was more than 20 years ago...Spyglass...long, narrow, unforgiving and the greens were like glass...impossible to stop the ball near the hole...way tougher than Winged Foot West, Bethpage Black, Pinehurst #2, Troon North (Monument), Sebonac, etc. Pebble the next day was a walk in the park, even the 2nd shot over the chasm on 8...

Jon Silverberg

BatCaddy electric pushcart with 36 hole capable lead-acid battery, holding a 2015 Titleist 14-way stand bag, customized with my club's logo (Nassau Players Club), containing:

TaylorMade 10.5 degree SIM Max Driver (set 2 clicks down), with 47.5" A Flex Fujikura Ventus Red 5 shaft 

Cobra F6 3-4W (set to 16 degrees), with 47.5" R flex Aldila ATX65 shaft

Cobra King F8 4-5 wood (set to 19 degrees), 3 and 4 hybrids, all R flex

TaylorMade Jetspeed 6 Hybrid, R flex

Cleveland Launcher HB 7-S irons, R flex (+1.5")

Cleveland RTX 3.0CB 60 degree wedge (+1")

Evnroll ER-3 putter, 35" (Gravity grip)

Tullymore was hard and fun at the same time.  I had one of my favorite post round lunches there.

TPC Sawgrass 3 days after the Pro's play was extremely hard.  The greens were fast still and the rough around certain holes was a 1 shot penalty.

Bethpage Black is physically a great test.  There are no carts and it demands steep walks up and down to tee boxes.  By the time 15 comes around, you are tired and that's when the course really gets brutal.

Greg Norman's River Course at the Rio Mar Resort was the most demanding 18 holes I have ever played.  I lost at least a dozen golf balls there.

True Blue in Myrtle Beach, Tobacco Road in North Carolina and Royal New Kent in Virginia for me are three of the hardest I've ever played. When I lived in Maryland I played Links at Gettysburg and Whiskey Creek which are demanding. Here in Georgia, The Highlands at Arrowhead, Bradshaw Farms and The Frog are courses you need your A game for. One other was Branson Creek in Missouri. I believe they are renovating the course and will call it Buffalo Springs after the work is done. Really beautiful golf course and demanding.

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

True Blue in Myrtle Beach, Tobacco Road in North Carolina and Royal New Kent in Virginia for me are three of the hardest I've ever played. When I lived in Maryland I played Links at Gettysburg and Whiskey Creek which are demanding. Here in Georgia, The Highlands at Arrowhead, Bradshaw Farms and The Frog are courses you need your A game for. One other was Branson Creek in Missouri. I believe they are renovating the course and will call it Buffalo Springs after the work is done. Really beautiful golf course and demanding.

Great list.  Played True Blue, Tobacco Road (and Tot Hill, Mike Strantz masterpieces) AND Royal New Kent,  Did you try and carry the hill on the left hand side on #1......  :)

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I have to also say Ko'olau on Oahu. I played the plantation course on Maui and shot 76. Two days later I played Ko'olau and actually hit the ball much better to only shoot 83. Lots of forced carries, jungle everywhere and sold greens and fairways on a long course. Brutal!

In the bag
Callaway Paradym triple diamond 
Callaway Paradym 3 wood
Ping G410 19* Hybrid
Ping G425 9 wood
Callaway Apex pro combo set 5-P
Cleveland Zipcore 50-55-60
Odyssey 

I have to also say Ko'olau on Oahu. I played the plantation course on Maui and shot 76. Two days later I played Ko'olau and actually hit the ball much better to only shoot 83. Lots of forced carries, jungle everywhere and sold greens and fairways on a long course. Brutal!

could have been worse,  if the trade winds where blowing, it could have been a longer day.....  My best round out there was 77,  worst 90

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I was lucky and hit the best drive of the day straight through both hills. If not I was told by the starter hit another or drop between them because a couple of weeks earlier, a guy had tried to play off the hill and fell and broke his leg. Great way to start and finish a round. :(

Mike Strantz left us to early. What great golf course design and imagination. I also include Stonehouse (haven't played yet) and Caledonia which I have a half dozen times..

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

I was lucky and hit the best drive of the day straight through both hills. If not I was told by the starter hit another or drop between them because a couple of weeks earlier, a guy had tried to play off the hill and fell and broke his leg. Great way to start and finish a round. :(

Mike Strantz left us to early. What great golf course design and imagination. I also include Stonehouse (haven't played yet) and Caledonia which I have a half dozen times..

I LOVE Mike Strantz designed golf courses.  Most of the time you are saying "I have to shoot my golf ball where?",  its target golf at its finest.  I played Stonehouse MANY MANY times, usually rotated between Royal New Kent and StoneHouse. since they are not too far from each other on I-64.  Caledonia........... My Favorite golf course in Myrtle Beach..... hands down.

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I LOVE Mike Strantz designed golf courses.  Most of the time you are saying "I have to shoot my golf ball where?",  is target golf at its finest.  I played Stonehouse MANY MANY times, usually rotated between Royal New Kent and StoneHouse. since they are not too far from each other on I-64.  Caledonia........... My Favorite golf course in Myrtle Beach..... hands down.

+1 on Caledonia.  Played 10 courses in Myrtle Beach in 6 days and by far Caledonia was my favorite.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

No scorecard, I'm afraid, because it was more than 20 years ago...Spyglass...long, narrow, unforgiving and the greens were like glass...impossible to stop the ball near the hole...way tougher than Winged Foot West, Bethpage Black, Pinehurst #2, Troon North (Monument), Sebonac, etc. Pebble the next day was a walk in the park, even the 2nd shot over the chasm on 8...

Interesting....I played spyglass and pebble on a package deal. I thought spyglass was definitely difficult, but not a bear. Pebble was gorgeous, but downright easy.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

• 3 weeks later...

If you like Tobacco Road, you will love Tot Hill Farms.  Playing those two courses back to back is a true test of your game 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

If you like Tobacco Road, you will love Tot Hill Farms. Playing those two courses back to back is a true test of your game

Tot Hill may be my favorite in the area. There's some tough shots and putts on that course.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

• 1 year later...

Me and a buddy found a hot deal to play stadium course at PGA west last summer I'm a 9 and he's a 15. Had a 10:30 tee time and we decided if we're playing at a PGA venue were damn well playing from the blacks. Crazy hot summer day was about 120° by noon and we were both completely over it by the back 9 hands down hardest course I've ever played there's a reason they say that course is too hard even for the Pros.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

IMG_6987.PNG

Champions Club at The Retreat in Corona California, ever changing scenery!!

WITB: 

TM 2017 M1 440 w/ Aldila Rogue Silver X

TM 2016 M1 15* 3 Wood w/ Aldila Rogue Silver X

TM 2016 M2 4 Rescue Hybrid w/ Aldila Rogue Black S

TM PSi Tours P - 3i (One too many clubs :D ) w/ DG Tour Issue X100

Titleist SM6 60,56,52 w/ DG Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

TM Spider Tour Red

Titleist 14 way bag  :)  :)

attachicon.gifIMG_6987.PNG

Champions Club at The Retreat in Corona California, ever changing scenery!!

I didn't think the course was that hard as much as it was just like a joke I mean cool course and all but a lot of weird interesting holes. The first time I played it I hated it. The second time I knew what to expect and how to play each hole it got a lot easier.

PGA National in West Palm Beach . The Bear Trap is the real deal and it will bite ya arse!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I LOVE Mike Strantz designed golf courses. Most of the time you are saying "I have to shoot my golf ball where?", its target golf at its finest. I played Stonehouse MANY MANY times, usually rotated between Royal New Kent and StoneHouse. since they are not too far from each other on I-64. Caledonia........... My Favorite golf course in Myrtle Beach..... hands down.

And this is why I hate Stranz courses. Royal. Ew Kent isn't bad but stonehouse has too many shots that are blind. Unless you have played the course quite a few times you aren't going to play well and it will be frustrating. I have hit shots in the course recommended linenand ended up in considerable trouble. A golfer should be able to have some level of success without having to have studied the course prior to playing a round.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think it was Murwillumbah Golf Course in NSW Australia. Hard to remember for sure, its been 15 years or so.  But, between the narrow tree lined fairways, lots of water, jet lag and tons of beer (I think is was mostly the beer that made it hard..lol) it was kind of a blur playing golf on my Australia trip.

Also, Coyote Run GC in Lafayette, Indiana. Greens were so fast they were like marble table tops. Chipping onto the greens and getting a pitch shot to hold was unreal. Course was nice other than that.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

And this is why I hate Stranz courses. Royal. Ew Kent isn't bad but stonehouse has too many shots that are blind. Unless you have played the course quite a few times you aren't going to play well and it will be frustrating. I have hit shots in the course recommended linenand ended up in considerable trouble. A golfer should be able to have some level of success without having to have studied the course prior to playing a round.

Yep. Stranz's designs are tough. Played Royal New Kent last after a guys trip to Williamsburg which included the golden horseshoe gold and green course and the Kingsmill Plantation Resort (the river course was off limits because the LPGA was playing there that weekend). It left a bad taste.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I am in Williamsburg but, have yet to play Royal New Kent or Stonehouse.  I usually play at Kiskiack GC.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

Bethpage Black. Had the opportunity to play shortly after the open and it destroyed all 4 of us. Great day and would love to do it again.

Moved from Ct to FL 5 years ago.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Koolau, Oahu, HI

Played Championship tees - what an idiot I was that day

Capture.JPG

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

This one makes no sense at all but the one course that thoroughly kicked my ass so badly every time I played it is Holden Hill in Holden, MA.  It's not terribly long, and the slope/rating isn't outrageous, but it's death for me.  Haven't played it in over 20 years and plan on going another 20 without playing it...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

This one makes no sense at all but the one course that thoroughly kicked my ass so badly every time I played it is Holden Hill in Holden, MA. It's not terribly long, and the slope/rating isn't outrageous, but it's death for me. Haven't played it in over 20 years and plan on going another 20 without playing it...

Maybe it's a mental thing? You know, like a course you like but there's always that one hole where you struggle.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder