TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hardest Course You've Ever Played (in the U.S.)

Zeasy

Maybe it's a mental thing? You know, like a course you like but there's always that one hole where you struggle.

MDGolfHacker

Mental no doubt -- I don't even like driving near that course, never mind playing it.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm not sure I can really name a course that I'd consider the "hardest" I've ever played. I've certainly made many a course "hard". Even at my home course I've turned in some of the most awful rounds ever! If I had to choose; I recall Old McDonald at Bandon Dunes being a problem. But again... it was probably due more to me than the overall difficulty of the course.

One thing I've learned is to play the correct tee. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Most of the time when I go on golf trips I'm playing courses I've never seen/played before. I've found it better to play a little shorter as opposed to longer. There's nothing worse than paying a hefty green fee at a destination course and then after the round feeling like you took a whipping. It's happened to me. Probably should have moved up at the turn. But we'd tough it out for some reason.

Quick story:

Several years ago when we were getting ready to tee it up on the Judge course at the RTJ Trail in Montgomery, AL one of my buddies poo-poo'd the suggestion of wanting to move up a tee. He said he didn't want to take the "teeth" out of the course. The starter asked his handicap and remarked that he'd be well served to move up a tee. We did. My buddy went on to shoot something like 88 that day. He later said it was good we moved up. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Gray, what about the Squire course? I though it was tuffer. Real narrow with thick rough.

Edit to change course name

Yea the Squire was tough!  It would beat ya like a drum and take no prisoners..   Man that was some good times had back in those days.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Mine was Fighting Joe, one of the Robert Trent Jones courses in Alabama.

That one broke me down!

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Most any course can be tough if you are not playing well.  Even if you are playing well, the course designers have a habit of making you look bad if you play from the wrong set of tees.  Heed PJ advice and move up if you are unfamiliar with the course.  More fun.  With that said, I find any course that has a lot of elevation change and strong influence on breaks on greens to be extremely difficult.  If you are unfamiliar with the course, club selection is hard, and the designer probably gave you a bad area to land in if you used the wrong club.  On the greens putting is nearly impossible unless you are familiar with the amount of break inherent in the prevailing slope.  Think of the Indio effect in Palm Springs.  Mountain courses are really tough.  We have a bunch of them here in the Northwest.  However, the absolute toughest course for me to play was the Plantation Course at Kapalua.  It's a mountain course on steroids, and I will go back!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Browsing through the US Open qualifying courses reminded me of a few tough courses I've played. Two of which are La Purisima G.C. in California and Ram Rock G.C. in Texas.

So strange. I just read Zeasy's post heading without actually opening the thread and started thinking through my toughest tracks. Ram Rock and La Purisima were both really high in the running for me too!

What he didn't mention, a lot of the fairways at Ram Rock are turtle backs with OB everywhere. So you have to hit a fade into the left half or a draw into the right half to have any chance of your ball staying on the golf course. 70 out there is really golfing your ball, pards!

I played a college event at La Purisima almost 20 years ago so a lot of the details are kinda fuzzy but OP's description of #9 is spot on. The hole is a nightmare. I also remember thinking there was zero place to hit your tee shot on the downhill #16. I made a disastrous number in the practice round so throughout the tourney I recall hitting something like 9 iron off the tee thinking a scrambling par probably picks up at least a shot on the field.

Everybody seems to be referencing conditions so I'm also going to err that direction for my top pick. UCSD Tournament: Torrey Pines South in '00 the week after the Buick. It rained so much the grounds crew could not mow the rough between Sunday of the Buick and when we tee'd it up several days later. It was at least as hard as the US Open setup, except we didn't have an army of spotters. If your ball finished a foot off the fairway you had to hit a provisional because you probably wouldn't find it. And even if you did the only shot was one sometimes two full swings with a SW just to get back to the fairway. I think 79 was the best score posted that day. Couldn't even enjoy the beauty of the place, absolute torture.

IMG_1504.JPG

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

The toughest course I've played is Erin Hills...without a doubt. The course is long, narrow and the fescue is very difficult to negotiate. I'm excited to see the pros battle this course during the US Open this summer.IMG_7157.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

PING  G400 LST 8.5° - Ping Tour 65X 

PING  G10 17° - Fujikura Rombax 7Z08 (S flex tipped 1/2")

ADAMS  Pro Black 9031 20° - Aldila RIP a 85 HYB 2.0 (S flex tipped 1/2")

:callaway-small:  CF16/Apex Pro 16 Combo (4-P, A) 2° upright- Nippon Modus 120X

MIZUNO  T7 Satin 54° & 58° - Nippon Modus 120X

ODYSSEY  O-Works Black Tank #7 - 35"

BRIDGESTONE  TOUR B X

Right Handed

Duluth MN

Handicap 13

Played Torrey North when on vacation. Great layout but thick rough. Also Penobscot Valley Golf Course in Maine gave me fits. Open layout and hit the ball well but couldn't get the ball to stay on the green....

Also there's a stretch of three holes on a course near my house that I always lose a ball ob...no matter what club I hit or how much I try to avoid it...definitely mental but it gets me every time...

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

With all the rain Northern California has had, every course I've been on has had US OPEN rough and that is not an exaggeration and have been tough to play in wet conditions.

The course close to my house has the shaggiest fairways I've ever seen. They just haven't been able to mow as needed until last couple of weeks.

About 8 weeks ago a local course set-up Par 3 tee boxes on all holes right next to the cart path and then charged a reduced rate to play the short course.

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 1 month later...

Indian Canyon Spokane, WA.. We took out yearly boys weekend to Couer D' Alene and played it on the way home.

Might have been the hangover, maybe bad golf or it was just hard as Hell.. I'm not sure.. Did not break 100 from the whites.. Worst part my buddy shot low 90's and killed me.. Also hungover.. DAMN.... lol

this is off their website..:::

Built on a canyon wall with a vertical drop of 240 feet amid many towering pines, the Canyon offers a very diverse and unique playing environment. It is well bunkered and has undulating greens which require a deft touch if par of 71 is to be achieved over the hilly 6,255 yards.

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Walloon Lake Country Club when I was 14. The greens were like putting on a basket ball court, and just as hard. Everything bounded off the back, impossible to stick/stop a ball on them. Since it was free, and I got an invite to play from a member (private course) I enjoyed it, but man was it a rough day.

+1 on Caledonia. Played 10 courses in Myrtle Beach in 6 days and by far Caledonia was my favorite.

Caledonia is AMAZING!! going to play it as a practice round the Sunday before the Myrtle Beach World Amateur. True Blue next door is awesome too!

The toughest course I've played is Erin Hills...without a doubt. The course is long, narrow and the fescue is very difficult to negotiate. I'm excited to see the pros battle this course during the US Open this summer.attachicon.gifIMG_7157.PNG

Come visit me in the merch tent! I got picked to volunteer there this year.

Mine was Fighting Joe, one of the Robert Trent Jones courses in Alabama.

That one broke me down!

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

We got rained out during masters week this year there. We switched days around so we could get our 36 in. Was hoping to play that one. We ended up playing Ross Bridge. By far the best course I've ever played. That would be above Torrey Pines and Hazeltine here in MN. We played the Judge at Capital Hill and that was very tough.

I always get stuck on this because it's tough to discern whether the course is difficult or game is making it difficult. So I always try to figure it out by what course I can't score well on even if I'm playing well.

Here are the ones that come to mind.

Sweetens Cove, TN. It's nine holes but the holes are all unique and well designed. The difficulty is so well planned around the greens that you'll never lose a ball, but will rack up strokes if you aren't exact 150 yards in.

Bear Creek, CO. A real bear of a course lol. Fits nicely with the mountainous landscape as almost target golf with several forced carries, many blind. I had the special treat of my game completely disappearing all 3 rounds I played, but I don't think it would have mattered.

Mission Hills El Campeon, FL. Especially when the wind is upbit even without, this atypical hilly terrain north of Orlando is tree lined and also has a number of forced carries over water. It does not let up.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

Chambers Bay in Tacoma, Washington.

Site of the 2015 US Open.

Played the back tees at 7,100yds. Played 7,500yds for the US Open. Incredible piece of land to play golf on. Every shot was one you had to think about. Ball never stops rolling and if you don't know where to hit it off the tee, or leave it around the greens, it will be a long day of golf.

There is NO distinction between the greens and the rest of the course (excluding par 3's). The fairways just turn into the putting surface which is a total anomaly in my experiences golfing.

So much fun though to challenge yourself on a championship level course. Can't wait to go back again down the road.

Cory

Koolau, Oahu, HI

Played Championship tees - what an idiot I was that day

I'm glad I looked through a few pages. I've only played  few US courses, all in Hawaii. I couldn't remember the  name of this place, but definitely remember what it looked like! I played here 21 years ago on my honeymoon. Any miss was severely penalized.  

Toughest course I've played in Aus is St Andrews Beach. Maybe it was due to the 40 mph winds, but it was crazy.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Ko'olau Golf Club on Oahu. Always listed as one of the hardest worldwide. They say to plan on losing a ball for every stroke of your handicap. I lived there when I was in the military and got to play it. They were right

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: PXG 0811XF 10.5 Regular flex

3W Cleveland HiBore XLS

3-5H: Callaway Steelhead XR

6I-AW Srixon ZX4 MKII

SW and LW Kirkland Signature (V2)

Putter: TaylorMade Rosa Monte Carlo

Ball: OnCore Elixer

Mystic Creek in El Dorado, Arkansas! 7492 from the tips, with a 76.2/141 rating!!! The greens are ridiculous. So many undulations causing the player to need to land in specific areas. Worst part about it...? They don't have a scorebook/layout to buy to know where to aim on approaches into the greens! But! It's only $75 to play, $50 after 3pm!!!

Sent from my iPhone

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

For me shattuck is the beast. I've played from all tees including the "white birch" tees designed for people who haven't played there before. They eliminate the blind tee shots (on almost every hole) I still have never had a good round on the scorecard but some of the best shots I've ever hit were there. I love it.

Screenshot_20170420-230053.pngScreenshot_20170420-230116.png

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Hard for me to say.  I have played a lot of championship courses like Chambers Bay, Bay Hill, Copperhead, etc.  However, the most difficult course I have played is probably Ponte Vedra Inn and Club Ocean Course.  It was supposed to host the Ryder Cup in the late 30s, but World War II resulted in the event being canceled.  In the years since they have redesigned it a couple times.  The wind there is just incessant.  I putted off of multiple greens, and it was just a really tough test of golf.  I don't care what the slope rating says, this is probably the toughest I have played.

Driver:              :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha Double Black Diamond 816

3W:                 :titelist-small: 915F

3h:                  :titelist-small: 816H

5-GW:              :wilson_staff_small:  C200 w/Aldila Rogue

54, 58:             :ping-small: Glide

Putter:             :bettinardi-small: BB40

Red Ledges is a private mountain course in Heber Utah and it's a monster. Not especially long but the every hole is treacherous. The bunkers, and I mean every bunker, is a sideways or backwards pitch to escape. They told me to add 9 shots to my handicap and I didn't believe them. I added 12 shots. Granted it was not a good golf day for me off the tee, but still it was quite the challenge and adventure. I'll be caddying up there in a couple of weeks for the summer so hopefully I can improve on my... 93.

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

Red Ledges is a private mountain course in Heber Utah and it's a monster. Not especially long but the every hole is treacherous. The bunkers, and I mean every bunker, is a sideways or backwards pitch to escape. They told me to add 9 shots to my handicap and I didn't believe them. I added 12 shots. Granted it was not a good golf day for me off the tee, but still it was quite the challenge and adventure. I'll be caddying up there in a couple of weeks for the summer so hopefully I can improve on my... 93.

Here's some pics of the course

IMG_4616.JPGIMG_4617.JPG

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802