TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hardest Course You've Ever Played (in the U.S.)

Zeasy

Ko'olau Golf Course was the hardest for me, played there about 20 years ago when I was a beginner and got my a$$ kicked playing fro the gold tees.

Ko'olau.PNG

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

The two toughest for me are PGA West Stadium Course and Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV. I shot 94 from the tips and PGA West. I only missed 4 fairways but had 39 putts and who knows how many chips...Best score I've ever carded at Wolf Creek is an 84 from the tips and I'll take that. Not a long course at all, just impossible to play.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

For me, I've play a lot of tough courses, most are.   But the toughest course for me that my buds and I routinely play is in Berlin, Maryland--the Links at Lighthouse Sound.  It has several forced carries that have often gotten me.   Also, at times, the wind can make it even more difficult.

There's a course in Cambridge, Maryland-The River Marsh that is not the toughest course but undoubtedly has the toughest hole that I play often.   Its number 17, a par three that is totally a carry over water.   Some people don't know that they built a new bridge over the Choptank because by buds and I raised the water level from all the ball we put in it.  

The two toughest for me are PGA West Stadium Course and Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV. I shot 94 from the tips and PGA West. I only missed 4 fairways but had 39 putts and who knows how many chips...Best score I've ever carded at Wolf Creek is an 84 from the tips and I'll take that. Not a long course at all, just impossible to play.

I've played both of those. I think Wolf was far tougher. At least the day I played it. Super windy and not a flat fairway to be found.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I've played both of those. I think Wolf was far tougher. At least the day I played it. Super windy and not a flat fairway to be found.

Not a flat anything out there! You're either hitting to an elevated fairway/green or the fairway is 50 yards below the tee box. Most unreal course I have ever played. But I've played there quite a bit so I think I'm a little numb to the difficulty.

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

Bethpage Black from the US Open plaques was a monster. Two fairways I couldn't get to. Shot 81 on the par 70 layout and thought I hit the ball nice. Played it about a month before the open. No birdies that day so I couldn't even have something to point to watching the coverage

Koolau, Oahu, HI

Played Championship tees - what an idiot I was that day

OMG... 150 slope?!?

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Pine Valley was 6540 yards at 153 slope. Those were the member tees. The tips were 7101 at 155.

To put that in perspective, my club is the highest slope on its golf association with 6349 yards at 142 from the member tees. From the tips at 7245, it's 153. 700 extra yards to get the same rating.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

Having mostly played Arizona courses this was an easy pick for me. Quintero Golf Club in Peoria, AZ. It was a combination of poor driving skill and tight fairways, but I hit only 1 fairway with my driver all day. I wasn't the only the only one having trouble hitting grass because on hole 14 I hit it in the desert left and found 10-12 balls on my short golf ball hunting adventure. I ended up OB 6 times that day! What a terrible, awesome, and humbling round of golf. I will get out there again this summer to get my vengeance!

Irons: :ping-small: G30's, Black dot, Nice and Stiff
Driver: :ping-small: G30 LS TEC, Aldila RIP X-stiff
Got the righty swing going
Home is Peoria, AZ
13 Handicap

Great thread.

For me, it was Buffalo Ridge in Hollister, Mo (Branson). I played it last early September on a gorgeous weathered morning. At that time I was hitting off of an 18 and felt (stupidly) confident that I'd break 100 there.

After shooting a 108, I came back down to earth! What a great time, though.

I'm down to a 14 now, and I'm scheduled to play it again at the end of May. Since I have a basic knowledge of the course and more confidence in my game, it is my mission to break 90.

I will report back with the results in roughly 5 weeks :D

I used to work for Kohler and was able to take customers to play whistling straights as well as all the other Kohler courses. I have to say whistling straights by far the hardest I've ever played, couldn't pay me to play it again.

It sounds cliche, but the hardest course I have ever played was the Torrey Pines South Course. My Dad and I grabbed an advanced tee time as we were staying at the La Jolla Hilton (thank goodness as there was a line of singles waiting to jump into threesomes, kind of like a bar on a Saturday night in college)

The hardest part about Torrey is getting over your nerves and general giddy-ness. I was raised a golf Junkie, I have watched Tiger and Jack hit that opening tee shot with a soft draw over the right bunkers, and from the first tee box they have never looked bigger, might as well have been the Sahara. Once you conquer your nerves (and not shank it into the Canadian couple you were paired with) you move through the course in utter awe. The beauty of the cliffs is as distracting as the jungle they call rough.

We played the course the week after the Farmer's Insurance Open so you couldn't ask for better course conditions, unfortunately this means Monster rough. Seriously. You quickly understand how pros can swing in that rough without making contact with the ball. Every sprayed drive is a lost stroke to a chip out back to the fairway.

The fairways are pristine, and if you hit one in regulation you are rewarded with great shots into the green.

Greens rolled true and fast, which makes life tough for the amateur golfer.

Tough to complain about playing a US Open venue and walking in the footprints of the giants, but I was exhausted after playing the course. Not too exhausted to par #18 after a snap-hook that disappeared into the rough and a hozzle rocket second shot that made hotel guests in the hot tub nervous.

Overall, it is an incredible experience and I would pay the $185 to play it again any day of the week. If you do try and tackle this beast be prepared for sore shoulders and forearms the next day, or just hit the fairway!

FullSizeRender.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have played Whistling Straits and it is exceptionally difficult.  Couple feet off the green could result in a 30 yard deep sand trap.  And it is looong.  Oh, and windy.

2nd most difficult I've played is Oak Hill East.  Tricky greens.  Lots of trees.  Just a hard hard test. 

I'm a bit surprised at the mentions of Tobacco Road.  I've played it a few times, but it seems more fun to me than hard. It has a couple tough holes, but not punishing IMO.

What's in the Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS2 11.5, Diamana 70 Stiff Flex

FW - Callaway Razr X 3 Wood

Rescue - Taylormade Rocketballz 4 Rescue

Irons - Callaway Apex CF19, Nippon S. Pro 1050 GH, Stiff Flex

Wedges - Titleist Vokey S4 48, 52, 56, and 60

Putter - Odyssey OWorks Marxman

It may seem like a no-brainer, but most golfers will never understand how difficult Merion Golf and Cricket Club can play. I've had the honor to play there twice, and I can online flinch when I think about how ruthless that track must have been when the USGA stretched it, grew it out, and dried it up in 2013.

Furman Golf '15

Titeist 915 D3 // Diamana White XS 70

Titleist 915 F3 // Alidila Rogue XS 72

Titleist 816 H // Aldila Rogue XS 72

Titleist TMB 4i // TT AMT XS

Titleist AP2 5 - 7i // TT AMT XS

Titleist MB 8 - PW // KBS Tour C Taper S

Vokey SM5 Wedges, 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Stainless Newport 2

The toughest course I've played is Erin Hills...without a doubt. The course is long, narrow and the fescue is very difficult to negotiate. I'm excited to see the pros battle this course during the US Open this summer.attachicon.gifIMG_7157.PNG

Have a good buddy working out there as a USGA Intern for the Open. He said there hasn't been a single divot taken out of that place in over 9 months. And the fescue is mighty healthy. Should be fun to watch.

Furman Golf '15

Titeist 915 D3 // Diamana White XS 70

Titleist 915 F3 // Alidila Rogue XS 72

Titleist 816 H // Aldila Rogue XS 72

Titleist TMB 4i // TT AMT XS

Titleist AP2 5 - 7i // TT AMT XS

Titleist MB 8 - PW // KBS Tour C Taper S

Vokey SM5 Wedges, 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Stainless Newport 2

Close between a course called Iron Horse in north Richland hills Texas, and The Woodlands in the Houston area. Iron horse was where I had my first 18 hole tournament and it was a nightmare. The woodlands was just a really challenging setup and we played from the tips.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

The Bull in Sheboygan. Played appropriate tees for my 15 hdcp and lost like 8 balls. Was a very nice course i just thought you had no room for any errors and to me that's not really enjoyable.

a. Iron specs (flex, length/lie)taylormade rsi 1 7 iron through aw, vokey sm5 54 and vokey sm4 58 standard length and lie

b. Driver specs (loft/flex)taylormade m2 reg flex fujikura pro 70 shaft out of m1 3 wood

c. Dexterity (right or left-handed)right

d. Where You Live waterloo iowa

e. Your handicap or average 18 hole score 15 hdcp

Bull Valley Golf Club in Woodstock Illinois. Holy Jeese....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

• 1 month later...

The hardest course I've played is Diamondback​ in Haines City FL. It had a lot of narrow landing areas that had almost no rough. It was either fairway or woods. Our high school golf team used to practice there twice a week and it really taught you to play 3 wood off the tee and the risk vs reward of playing driver. Sadly this course closed down and I can't find any old score cards to share.

Other courses seemed difficult to me the first time I played them but if I played there a second day I drastically improved. I shot a 101 from the tips at Champions Gate on the international the first day I played it. Thanks to a wild driver and crazy winds. But the next day I scored a 91. Still crazy winds but I just know what I could get a way with. I will always say the quickest way for a mid to high handicapper to shave a few strokes is to learn proper course management.

Jupiter Hills, the Hills course from the tips.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Playing Pine Valley on Sunday. Rated 75.6/155 from the back tees. Played it before but from a forward set of tees. Breaking 80 will be a struggle.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Def the hardest track I have been fortunate enough to play (was an employee) was Southern Hills in Tulsa, Ok.  Not only was it the roughest course I have ever played but I also ran a bar out on the course and it was probably some of the worst member golf I had ever witnessed LOL.  Anyway it was brutal.

Next maybe is Pasatiempo but much easier than SH.  Much more receptive to shots into the green.

TW

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

Love La Purisima, haven't had the chance to play there in years. Played in a tournament there one day and the wind was extra that day. Tough track.

When i used to work at Hanford CC, one of the members knew someone that got us on at Cypress Point. That was a rough day but also an awesome experience!

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Close between a course called Iron Horse in north Richland hills Texas, and The Woodlands in the Houston area. Iron horse was where I had my first 18 hole tournament and it was a nightmare. The woodlands was just a really challenging setup and we played from the tips.

Did you play the HGA Summer circuit growing up Ethan?

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I'll say Cuscowilla, it seems that 4 elephants are buried under each green, not a flat putt on the course.  http://www.cuscowilla.com/

courseId=20203&facilityId=19629&view=wid

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST MaxRogue ST Max 3, 5 & 7 Wooda 
Irons -      Rogue ST MAX OS  5 - AW
Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*  

Putter -    ER2
Rangefinder -  NX9 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Soft Drip

Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Did you play the HGA Summer circuit growing up Ethan?

maybe a tournament or two but I can't say I was part of the circuit. I'm from the Hillsboro/Waco area so a lot of those were a long ways away. I did a lot of the ntpga junior events though.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I played Bayonet and Black Horse late last year on a trip to Monterey. Black Horse from the tips was one of the toughest places I've ever played. Such a great spot too.

It is a tossup for me between The Stadium Course at PGA West and Oakland Hills South.  The last time I played Stadium on of my friends was in so many bunkers we started calling him Rommel.  Oakland Hills had some of the fastest greens I have ever seen.  Anything above the hole was a gut wrenching approach putt to get close.

Callaway Driver, 4 and 7 fairways.  Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-LW.  A friend told me my swing is as smooth as Tennessee Whiskey.  If so, I often think it may have come out of the barrel to soon.