TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hardest Course You've Ever Played (in the U.S.)

Zeasy

There's this course is play a lot, The Home Course, which host US Open local qualifying every year. I think the course rating is 76.4 from the tips. Chambers Bay is also pretty hard, 75.6. Sahalee CC ('98 PGA Championship) is 74.6. There are a couple of harder ones, but I couldn't dig up the scorecards...

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

The Ocean Course at Kiawah.  Played the Dye tees (6,450 yds.).  We played as a twosome,  both 7-8 handicaps and both shot mid-90s.  As we're coming down 18 bumming out about our scores, the caddy tells us we shouldn't be too disappointed.  Most of the people he caddies for don't break 100.  Small consolation, but still a memorable experience.

Also, Old Corkscrew in Estero, FL is an under-rated monster.  It's a Nicklaus Signature design, open  to the public and well worth a visit.

Update - I had the chance to visit The Concession (Bradenton, FL) earlier this year.  I was a spectator at The Concession Cup between top amateurs from the US and British Isles (including Ireland).  The Concession is always rated as one of the top course in Florida and it deserves the rating.  I now refer to Old Corkscrew as the "poor man's Concession."  They're both Nicklaus designs and both well east of I-75 (i.e., middle of nowhere), neither has any significant housing in view, and they're both very difficult.  Of course, conditioning at The Concession is better.

Played a few on the list that people have mentioned. Toughest I have played by far is The Shattuck in Jaffrey, NH. Best described as target golf; there is hazard short, long, left and right on every shot. Bring a lot of golf balls and do. Or expect to break 80, even if you are a single digit handicapper. Best described by my college teammate, "there should be a sign on one that says welcome to hell, and when you finish 18 another one that says thanks for visiting hell."

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

For me, it's the Ocean Course at Kiawah. I played it in what they told me was the most common conditions, steady wind coming in off the ocean. The first few holes are a little way off the beach, and I got off to a decent start, but then the holes turn and run along the beach with the ocean to your left for about 9 or 10 holes in a row. The greens there just repel shots that come in from the wrong angle. I typically cut the ball, and with the left to right wind, I had no chance. I was a 5 index at the time. In the entire round, I made exactly one bad swing, I had only one 3-putt and shot 85 from the middle tees. It isn't just that the greens repel the ball, it's that plus the fact that when your ball gets rejected, it always ends up way below the surface of the green in all sorts of interesting places.

I do not believe for a second that I could have broken 100 from the tips.

• 3 weeks later...

Just seeing this thread for the firs time and it's some great reading. I've played a lot of courses over the years and it's hard to say that one is the most difficult. Shoal Creek plays pretty tough from the tips, they keep the greens usually run like lightening and unless your PGA long tour usually hitting long iron approaches. Also recently played my first Seth Raynor, Charleston County Club, which was the exact opposite of Shoal. Strategy the entire way, short course that requires thoughtful and accurate decisions. The greens were also incredibly fast and so subtle, place plays pure. I've been playing golf for 25+ years and the more I play the more I prefer the later.

Far and Sure

• 10 months later...

I played Torrey Pines a few years ago right before US Open. High winds, high rough and skinney fairways - brutal scores. I literally couldn't keep a 40 yard wedge on the green. Had to suck it up and take my medicine. I love this game!

Driver: Ping G25 10.5 degrees, Tour S-flex

5 Wood - Ping G25 18 degrees, 3 wood shaft, Tour S-flex

7 Wood- Ping G25 21 degrees, Tour S-flex

Hybrid - Ping G25 23 degrees, Tour S-flex

4 iron - Ping G2, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

PW - 5 iron- Ping I3, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

56/60 degree - Ping M/B wedge, Z-Z65 shaft, white dot

All with I3 gold gripsPutter - Nike Core Method Drone 44†(aka “The Assassin).

Golf Ball - Pro VI

I played Torrey Pines a few years ago right before US Open. High winds, high rough and skinney fairways - brutal scores. I literally couldn't keep a 40 yard wedge on the green. Had to suck it up and take my medicine. I love this game!

Picked up 2Torrey Pines logo shirts yesterday at my club for less than $10 apiece......they resell over prints and miss printed logged shirts from Bermuda Sands and the logos on these were perfect. I'll never get to play it, but have always revered the course.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I've never really played any of the major courses, always stuck to the blue collar clubs...but I guess TPC Tampa Bay is the hardest I have played.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

I've never really played any of the major courses, always stuck to the blue collar clubs...but I guess TPC Tampa Bay is the hardest I have played.

Bayou from the tips is tougher than TPC Tampa - Foz - perhaps you should try it next time we play.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've played both of those. I think Wolf was far tougher. At least the day I played it. Super windy and not a flat fairway to be found.

I'm personally not a fan of Wolf Creek at all. Yes it's difficult, but I also thought it was poorly designed and intentionally tricked up. I'd rather keep losing money at blackjack than leave Vegas to drive up there again.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Bayou from the tips is tougher than TPC Tampa - Foz - perhaps you should try it next time we play.

Thanks Rev, I was gonna list Bayou Club as one of my hardest, alongside Lake Jovita.

I'm going to say The Club at Savannah Harbor.  Played it several years ago within a few days of the Liberty Mutual Legends of Golf having finished.  The rough was over ankle deep, and the greens were perfect (i.e. faster than !!)  The Judge on the RTJ Trail in Prattville, AL makes the list too, along with Arcadia Bluffs in Michigan.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Played a few on the list that people have mentioned. Toughest I have played by far is The Shattuck in Jaffrey, NH. Best described as target golf; there is hazard short, long, left and right on every shot. Bring a lot of golf balls and do. Or expect to break 80, even if you are a single digit handicapper. Best described by my college teammate, "there should be a sign on one that says welcome to hell, and when you finish 18 another one that says thanks for visiting hell."

Played there years ago and never wanted to go back.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I'm going to say The Club at Savannah Harbor.  Played it several years ago within a few days of the Liberty Mutual Legends of Golf having finished.  The rough was over ankle deep, and the greens were perfect (i.e. faster than !!)  The Judge on the RTJ Trail in Prattville, AL makes the list too, along with Arcadia Bluffs in Michigan.

I agree with Arcadia Bluffs.  For me it had everything to do with never having to hit shots onto greens as fast as that before. 

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I played Royal New Kent a couple times, once as a scramble, and didn't think it was too crazy.  The Cascades course at The Homestead has always beat me up.  I've never shot a decent round there.  I think the slope rating is only in the 130s, but its tough.  I played a course on Maui once back before I could break 100 when I was on a cruise, and I recall running out of balls when I put my drive in the drink on 18.

Tobacco Road is definitely on my bucket list.  I've been trying to get my Myrtle Beach group to go for years now.

True Blue in Myrtle Beach, Tobacco Road in North Carolina and Royal New Kent in Virginia for me are three of the hardest I've ever played. When I lived in Maryland I played Links at Gettysburg and Whiskey Creek which are demanding. Here in Georgia, The Highlands at Arrowhead, Bradshaw Farms and The Frog are courses you need your A game for. One other was Branson Creek in Missouri. I believe they are renovating the course and will call it Buffalo Springs after the work is done. Really beautiful golf course and demanding.

Titleist 913D2

Ping G2 3W

Ping G2 3H 18*, 4H 22*

Mizuno JPX900

Cleveland CBX 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot RX #2

Snell MTBX

I haven't travelled much, but Quail Hollow here in Boise is no slouch! Lots of elevation changes, blind shots and the greens are very difficult to read and navigate...I love it!

https://www.quailhollowboise.com/course/course-map/

https://www.quailhollowboise.com/course/course-scorecard/

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Ko Olau in 30 mph trade winds.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Another vote for Kaiwah ocean course, if its a little windy your in for a long day... in a close second, Teeth of a Dog and Ko'olau ....

+1 Ko'olau

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

yup

This course was a nightmare growing up in NE Golf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the moment my course list isn't that long outside of Southern California. But, the first one that comes to mind in the Palm Springs area is the Stadium Course at PGA West (which some of you have mentioned). You can get in trouble real quick out there, especially if you play around when they are hosting qualifiers or other tournaments. Out in the San Diego area, obviously Torrey Pines can eat you up and spit you out real quick. Then there's also Mt. Woodson in North County San Diego. It has some crazy rock formations, and elevation changes that you have to really watch out for. 

Titlesit 917 D3 9.5 | Diamana D+70 

Titleist 910 

Titlest 915 

TaylorMade Tour Burner 4-PW

Cleveland 56

Cleveland 60

Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

• 4 weeks later...

The Straits Course at Whistling Straits. Wasn't very windy but the approach shots left zero margin for error. Iron play was a bit off and I doubled my way through the place.

:callaway-small: XR16 9*  Fujikura Speeder 565 Stiff Flex

:callaway-small: RazrX Black 3W/5W  Stock Shaft Regular Flex

:callaway-small: RazrX Black 24* 4H  Stock Shaft Regular Flex 

:callaway-small: XR16 5i  True Temper Steel Shaft

:callaway-small: RazrX 6i-GW   True Temper Steel Shaft 

:callaway-small: Forged 54*  True Temper Steel Shaft

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 60*   True Temper Steel Shaft

:bettinardi-small: Queen Bee #8 33"  Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0

Vessel Matte Gray Player Stand Bag w/ Black True Spec Golf logo 

yup

This course was a nightmare growing up in NE Golf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Shattuck killed me

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I am adding the lower course at Baltusrol to my list. The USGA is having an event there in a few weeks so the rough was just crazy when I played it last week. Just under 7,000 yards for an outing and not one hole was a breather.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Stadium course at PGA West hands down.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Half Moon Bay Ocean course..... sand traps in the middle of fairway, because, well, why not ?????

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour