TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hardest Course You've Ever Played (in the U.S.)

Zeasy

Toughest days of golf I have experienced were in heavy wind on courses in the Ocean City, MD area on our fall golf trips.  One year we played Rum Pointe the day after a hurricane brushed the coast.  The wind was still blowing about 30mph and that course is right on the bay.  We knew we were in trouble that morning when we saw whitecaps in the hotel pool.  We actually used our brains and moved up a set of tees that day but it was still an extremely tough day of golf! 

Another year we played a Nicklaus course, Bayside in Selbyville, DE in some serious wind and I was the only one to break 100.  We didn't move up a set of tees that day and it showed.  The group actually took that course out of the rotation for quite a few years because everyone found it so difficult.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

• 3 months later...

BAYONET at Bayonet and Black Horse near Monterey. The course is long, add the marine layer and the ball doesn't fly at all. The par 4 9th is probably the toughest hole I have ever played. Uphill, dogleg right, and the green is surrounded by bunkers. The golf course is punishing, but it is a great classic layout in a beautiful setting. I'm always game for some torment out there.

For me it would have to be Tobacco Road in Sanford North Carolina.  This course was so far out of my skill level; it was horrible.  I enjoy courses that are challenging, just not ones that are soul crushing.  I know that given the chance to play there again, I will pass on it. 

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

• 3 months later...

Bethpage Black all the way back on all tee boxes. Our caddy let us play back box on every hole. Most boxes had back tees up at least one box from the back. It was a beating. Best 82 I ever shot. F732B0B7-F764-445E-B2CF-7183984C9C52.jpeg.72c45a029c4d146ba54dc3942c64349d.jpeg

Larry A. Merrick 

Bethpage Black before it was a tour stop. It didn't have the high maintenance it does these days.

I had a rough time at TPC River Highlands right after the tour played the Travelers there. Like the next day after. My buddies best friend was the superintendent. Brutal green speeds. The greens were pretty easy to read but the speed was like putting on linoleum. The course was a bear from the pro tees. After a few holes I had to move up to the human tees. It really made me appreciate how well the Pro's play.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

17 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Bethpage Black before it was a tour stop. It didn't have the high maintenance it does these days.

I had a rough time at TPC River Highlands right after the tour played the Travelers there. Like the next day after. My buddies best friend was the superintendent. Brutal green speeds. The greens were pretty easy to read but the speed was like putting on linoleum. The course was a bear from the pro tees. After a few holes I had to move up to the human tees. It really made me appreciate how well the Pro's play.

Played TPC Cromwell often.  We lived only short distance and one of my buddies lived next to 9th green.  
Like you stated days after Tournament were tough and I was barely able to see fareways from Pro Tees!!  The few days B4 they shut course down for the Tournament was also a bear.  It was a fun time.  
My buddy is down here in Fort Meyers.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 1/24/2021 at 10:40 AM, Watchnut33 said:

Harbour Town was incredibly difficult, as there is zero room for error off the tee and the course is so tight that if you’re not in the right part of the fairway you have to be able to shape your shot to have a chance at the green. Great course though, reallY enjoyed shooting over 100 there. 

I’m not far from there, is it public? I love trying out new courses, even when they’re way harder than I should play. 

Hmmmmmm, wife and I were planning a weekend at Harbour Town this summer. She's straight as an arrow off the tee-me, not so much!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

58 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

Hmmmmmm, wife and I were planning a weekend at Harbour Town this summer. She's straight as an arrow off the tee-me, not so much!

Hope you & Wife play Harbor town.  It’s really nice.  It’s different than when I played there 15-18 years ago I think for the better.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I played Baltusrol a couple weeks before the 2016 PGA Championship and given the conditions, it is probably the hardest round of golf I have ever played. Rough was thick enough you could drop a ball and lose it. Greens were fast enough to land on the front and roll off the back with anything more than like 9i or wedge. Absolutely gave me an appreciation for what pros deal with on a week to week basis.

For something a little different... The Shattuck in Jaffrey, NH is a 142 slope at only a little over 6000 yards. Target golf at its finest. Couple buddies and I usually go once a year towards the end of the season to lose half the balls in the shag bag.

Edited by JimmyShanks415

Cobra King LTDx 9*, Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 15*, Mitsubishi Diamana TB 70S

Titleist TS2 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana TB 80S

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 4i, Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 80 6.0

Srixon ZX5 5-PW, N.S. Pro Modus3 105S

Ping Glide 3.0 48* SS, 54* SS, 58* SS; KDS Hi-Rev 2.0

SIK DW | C-Series

4 hours ago, JimmyShanks415 said:

I played Baltusrol a couple weeks before the 2016 PGA Championship and given the conditions, it is probably the hardest round of golf I have ever played. Rough was thick enough you could drop a ball and lose it. Greens were fast enough to land on the front and roll off the back with anything more than like 9i or wedge. Absolutely gave me an appreciation for what pros deal with on a week to week basis.

For something a little different... The Shattuck in Jaffrey, NH is a 142 slope at only a little over 6000 yards. Target golf at its finest. Couple buddies and I usually go once a year towards the end of the season to lose half the balls in the shag bag.

The Shattuck is definitely a bear to play. We did a road trip there many years ago.

Rick

Left Hand,