Zeasy

Hardest Course You've Ever Played (in the U.S.)

Our Sponsors

I was lucky and hit the best drive of the day straight through both hills. If not I was told by the starter hit another or drop between them because a couple of weeks earlier, a guy had tried to play off the hill and fell and broke his leg. Great way to start and finish a round. :(

Mike Strantz left us to early. What great golf course design and imagination. I also include Stonehouse (haven't played yet) and Caledonia which I have a half dozen times..

I LOVE Mike Strantz designed golf courses.  Most of the time you are saying "I have to shoot my golf ball where?",  its target golf at its finest.  I played Stonehouse MANY MANY times, usually rotated between Royal New Kent and StoneHouse. since they are not too far from each other on I-64.  Caledonia........... My Favorite golf course in Myrtle Beach..... hands down.

• Like 1

I LOVE Mike Strantz designed golf courses.  Most of the time you are saying "I have to shoot my golf ball where?",  is target golf at its finest.  I played Stonehouse MANY MANY times, usually rotated between Royal New Kent and StoneHouse. since they are not too far from each other on I-64.  Caledonia........... My Favorite golf course in Myrtle Beach..... hands down.

+1 on Caledonia.  Played 10 courses in Myrtle Beach in 6 days and by far Caledonia was my favorite.  

• Like 1

No scorecard, I'm afraid, because it was more than 20 years ago...Spyglass...long, narrow, unforgiving and the greens were like glass...impossible to stop the ball near the hole...way tougher than Winged Foot West, Bethpage Black, Pinehurst #2, Troon North (Monument), Sebonac, etc. Pebble the next day was a walk in the park, even the 2nd shot over the chasm on 8...

Interesting....I played spyglass and pebble on a package deal. I thought spyglass was definitely difficult, but not a bear. Pebble was gorgeous, but downright easy.

I'll add a third to Tobacco Road. It's the hardest but also just about the most fun I've played. Have been trying to get to Tot Hill nearby as well but haven't yet.

If you like Tobacco Road, you will love Tot Hill Farms.  Playing those two courses back to back is a true test of your game 

If you like Tobacco Road, you will love Tot Hill Farms. Playing those two courses back to back is a true test of your game

Tot Hill may be my favorite in the area. There's some tough shots and putts on that course.

No, I never played in the course but I love to play here. Now, Planning a tour with my friends to visit this course.

Me and a buddy found a hot deal to play stadium course at PGA west last summer I'm a 9 and he's a 15. Had a 10:30 tee time and we decided if we're playing at a PGA venue were damn well playing from the blacks. Crazy hot summer day was about 120° by noon and we were both completely over it by the back 9 hands down hardest course I've ever played there's a reason they say that course is too hard even for the Pros.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

attachicon.gifIMG_6987.PNG

Champions Club at The Retreat in Corona California, ever changing scenery!!

I didn't think the course was that hard as much as it was just like a joke I mean cool course and all but a lot of weird interesting holes. The first time I played it I hated it. The second time I knew what to expect and how to play each hole it got a lot easier.

PGA National in West Palm Beach . The Bear Trap is the real deal and it will bite ya arse!

• Like 2

I LOVE Mike Strantz designed golf courses. Most of the time you are saying "I have to shoot my golf ball where?", its target golf at its finest. I played Stonehouse MANY MANY times, usually rotated between Royal New Kent and StoneHouse. since they are not too far from each other on I-64. Caledonia........... My Favorite golf course in Myrtle Beach..... hands down.

And this is why I hate Stranz courses. Royal. Ew Kent isn't bad but stonehouse has too many shots that are blind. Unless you have played the course quite a few times you aren't going to play well and it will be frustrating. I have hit shots in the course recommended linenand ended up in considerable trouble. A golfer should be able to have some level of success without having to have studied the course prior to playing a round.

• Like 1

I think it was Murwillumbah Golf Course in NSW Australia. Hard to remember for sure, its been 15 years or so.  But, between the narrow tree lined fairways, lots of water, jet lag and tons of beer (I think is was mostly the beer that made it hard..lol) it was kind of a blur playing golf on my Australia trip.

Also, Coyote Run GC in Lafayette, Indiana. Greens were so fast they were like marble table tops. Chipping onto the greens and getting a pitch shot to hold was unreal. Course was nice other than that.

And this is why I hate Stranz courses. Royal. Ew Kent isn't bad but stonehouse has too many shots that are blind. Unless you have played the course quite a few times you aren't going to play well and it will be frustrating. I have hit shots in the course recommended linenand ended up in considerable trouble. A golfer should be able to have some level of success without having to have studied the course prior to playing a round.

Yep. Stranz's designs are tough. Played Royal New Kent last after a guys trip to Williamsburg which included the golden horseshoe gold and green course and the Kingsmill Plantation Resort (the river course was off limits because the LPGA was playing there that weekend). It left a bad taste.

MDGolfHacker

I am in Williamsburg but, have yet to play Royal New Kent or Stonehouse.  I usually play at Kiskiack GC.

Bethpage Black. Had the opportunity to play shortly after the open and it destroyed all 4 of us. Great day and would love to do it again.

Moved from Ct to FL 5 years ago.

• Like 1

Koolau, Oahu, HI

Played Championship tees - what an idiot I was that day

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

I played Torrey south the Monday after the open when I was stationed in SD, not fun at all.

Oak Hill East is probably the toughest, but fairest course I've played on a regular basis.

This one makes no sense at all but the one course that thoroughly kicked my ass so badly every time I played it is Holden Hill in Holden, MA.  It's not terribly long, and the slope/rating isn't outrageous, but it's death for me.  Haven't played it in over 20 years and plan on going another 20 without playing it...

This one makes no sense at all but the one course that thoroughly kicked my ass so badly every time I played it is Holden Hill in Holden, MA. It's not terribly long, and the slope/rating isn't outrageous, but it's death for me. Haven't played it in over 20 years and plan on going another 20 without playing it...

Maybe it's a mental thing? You know, like a course you like but there's always that one hole where you struggle.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1