Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

You'd Better Get New Shoes

I was reading an ad last night for the new Callaway Xfer Pro golf shoe. I haven't really paid too much attention lately to golf shoes. I own a few pair of golf shoes that I switch around on occasion. Man, you wouldn't believe all the technology that goes into making a pair of top of the line golf shoes. Let me (and Callaway, Adidas, and FJ) show you what I mean.

Callaway says -

Designed to provide the ultimate in power Xfer, it is loaded with Xfer technologies.

Xfer means transfer in cool speak. See? Callaway claims their new Xfer shoe is "loaded" with technology and possess Power! Did you know for example that the Xfer has…

A minimized toe to heel height lowers the foot's center of gravity.

Ahh yes. I like being closer to the ground. Even by a 1/16".

An adjustable X Cage structure is built into the upper and hugs the foot to enable synchronized power movement in tandem with the outsole.

There's that word again. Power. Wear these shoes and you'll have more Power. I'd assume they mean I'll hit the ball further too. And all in perfect rhythm. My feet need to be X caged.

The integrated Superfeetâ„¢ Pro insole improves alignment, balance and body position for a more fluid power Xfer.

Awesome. Now instead of hoofing around like some amateur slug it I'll be carried around the course on Superfeet. And not just any old Superfeet but Pro Superfeet. And all my lousy swing moves will vanish and I'll start swinging like Erine Ells. … with Power. Fluid Power. As an added bonus for any of you granola heads Superfeet are vegan and free of latex, nickel sulfate, formaldehyde and preservatives. It's good to know my feet won't rot off during my next round. I suppose if I should get hungry and eat a Superfeet insole at the turn I'm least eating healthy.

Xfer Dynamic Traction Technology combining built-in tractional elements with strategically placed Pro Flex PINS performance spikes to deliver optimum traction in any condition.

Dynamic Traction Technology? Huh? Dynamic implies movement. When I swing I want grip… more static. I guess it's more controlled slippage they're after here. Additionally, these shoes have Pro Flex Pins spikes. I mean, who doesn't want spikes like the pros use? And these have them.

The Xfer Power Wall prevents lateral side foot slippage during your swing, while absorbing and releasing energy through the load and unload of your swing.

Here it is again. Power. But this time it's in the Power Wall. None of my shoes have a Power Wall. I must be a chump and losing distance.

Secondary set of fashion laces in complementing color included.

Lastly, if all this new found Power doesn't do it for you Callaway is throwing in a second set of "Fashion" shoe laces. Somehow I feel these laces contain most of the power. Don't you?

Callaway isn't alone in awesome shoe technology. Not by a long shot. Adidas has "revolutionary" Boost cushioning technology. The shoe also has "AdiPower Boost". More shoe – more Power! The Adidas AdiPower Boost shoe will also keep you on swing plane due to additional Gripmore Technology. It's easy. Get new shoes and fix your swing. Lastly we have Footjoy with the D.N.A shoes. These shoes have more advancement packed into them than ever before. FootJoy couldn't do it last year. But, this year is different. These shoes have Micro-vents, 3-D foam collar, fine-tuned foam, Nitro-thin outsoles, Stealth cleats, snug-fit tongue, and ChromoSkin. Whew. I don't know if I'm ready for all that at once. Sadly, no Power from FJ.

In summary it seems that if you don't start wearing one of these new shoes you're losing distance and your swing will remain sucky like a broken tree limb. According to these companies these are the best shoes ever. Ever! They will not be able to beat them. Everything these companies know is packed into these shoes. It can't get any better. Until next year.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

And which shoes will get you "4 yards more" when you wear them?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

And P.F Flyers with the magic wedge will help you run faster and jump higher.

Driver: :adams-small: XTD Ti 9* Matrix Ozik Red Tie s flex                        

Fairway: :cobra-small: AMP 15* Aldila RIP s flex               

Hybrid:  :cleveland-small: 588 Custom 20.5* Matrix Ozik Altus

Irons: :taylormade-small:  2014 Tour Preferred MC 4-pw w/ KBS Tour s flex +1"  

Wedges:  :scatch-golf-1: 8620 50*DD w/ KBS Rev, 54* and 58* DD w/ KBS C-Taper  

Putter: :bridgestone-small:  TD-01 True Balance 34"

Great writeup PJ!  Weather must be not so good; looking for something to do?  :)

My question is:  If the Callaway shoes have Pro Flex PINS performance spikes, why does it sound like Phil is wearing metal spikes when he is walking on cart paths?  

I only have 2 pairs of golf shoes:  

• Adidas Tour 360 4.0 (white), because 3.0 just wasn't good enough;  I use these when I travel to nice courses, but they are a little heavy.
  • True Linkswear Stealth (black), which I wear most every day when I play at my home course; very comfortable.

I have been looking at the Puma TitanTour and the new Trues with spikes.  I may be adding a new pair this year, and who doesn't want "more power" ?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

LMAO!!!!!!!

Poor Sam Snead - could you imagine, if only he had these shoes he would have had a golf swing!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Man , I've been wearing the same golf shoes for two years. They're looking a little beat up by now, but come on golf companies. Not even basketball shoes get this kind of marketing spew. And those things resist hundreds of pounds of body weight falling on them repeatedly from 30+ inches.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

This is hilarious.  I use whatever shoe is comfortable, which for me is the DNA, but it really does give me more power, distance, accuracy, and balance.  It's also a great 15th club too.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Great writeup PJ!  Weather must be not so good; looking for something to do?   :)

Shhhh. I'm at the office working. LOL

Actually started this last night but finished this morning.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Oh for eff's sake.....so now cheaper vinyl/mesh is "vegan." Riiight....because oil fields are GOOD for the planet.

See, this industry needs no "outting." They do it to themselves and its getting absurd.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I think I will stick with my good old Chucky Taylor Converse. No joke have played in that style for years. The high tops support my bad ankles and the absolute flat bottoms promote balance for me. I have never had a slippage issue either of course when they wear down I replace them I do not wear the "racing slick" version on the golf course. People have a hard time taking me seriously when first playing with me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I think I will stick with my good old Chucky Taylor Converse. No joke have played in that style for years. The high tops support my bad ankles and the absolute flat bottoms promote balance for me. I have never had a slippage issue either of course when they wear down I replace them I do not wear the "racing slick" version on the golf course. People have a hard time taking me seriously when first playing with me

Good call!  Old funky shoes, old clubs.  Hustler!!  ;)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I wear a set I picked up in Vegas off the clearance rack. Honestly the only reason is that they came with a two year warranty.

I don't think I need to go all out with shoes, that probably wouldn't help the mental game.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

• 3 weeks later...

I only have 2 pairs of golf shoes:  

• Adidas Tour 360 4.0 (white), because 3.0 just wasn't good enough;  I use these when I travel to nice courses, but they are a little heavy.
  • True Linkswear Stealth (black), which I wear most every day when I play at my home course; very comfortable.

Got 2 myself. Both True Links though. Red on Black mesh for those hot dry days, and the other pair, orange on Blue/grey leather for those wet mornings. I don't see myself ever wearing a conventional golf shoe (no matter what the claims) because these puppies are so dang comfy. Too bad True Links has changed their line for the worse IMO. Not on the spike end, but on the design end. While yes, they are still stylish, they've lost that wide loafer appeal they had. They need to bring back what made them so popular in the first place. Someone needs to let them in on the True-th.

Got 2 myself. Both True Links though. Red on Black mesh for those hot dry days, and the other pair, orange on Blue/grey leather for those wet mornings. I don't see myself ever wearing a conventional golf shoe (no matter what the claims) because these puppies are so dang comfy. Too bad True Links has changed their line for the worse IMO. Not on the spike end, but on the design end. While yes, they are still stylish, they've lost that wide loafer appeal they had. They need to bring back what made them so popular in the first place. Someone needs to let them in on the True-th.

I went to AZ for a couple of weeks of golf in Oct. Went to just about every big golf store I could find to try the latest Trues. Didn't find anything that fit or felt as good as what I had. I wanted a pair if the Lyt Breathe(?) or Air or whatever the call them for the hot weather we get in the summer. They just didn't feel good. So I guess I will try the 2015 models and maybe the Pumas. I need a new pair or Trues about every year because I wear out the sole. They'd last longer if I just used them for golf, but... :)

Archived