TESTERS WANTED! ×

Adams Lil' Lessons

• SPY VIP

Hey Guys...

You may remember not too long ago I wrote a story suggesting that The Future of Adams Golf Probably Isn't What You Think.

As I laid out in that article, TaylorMade-adidas is in the process of re-branding Adams Golf, not so much a brand for old guys and high handicap players, but rather as a no BS brand focused on the RECREATIONAL golfer (TaylorMade's focus will be on the COMPETITIVE Golfer).

What that means is a series products designed for a different type of golfer, promoted with a simple message void of hype, hyperbole, and the other BS that typically goes along with the golf industry. Instead, Adams will talk about having fun, enjoying the game, and if this new video series is any indication, breaking down some of the barriers to participation.

Anyway, the company has posted the first 4 of what I can only assume will be at least 20 videos. Early indications suggests the plan is to introduce new golfers to basic etiquette, and rules of the game without being heavy-handed or intimidating.

Aaron Baddely and Gary McCord (who for my money might be the smartest man in golf), so there is some star power behind this recreational campaign. Frankly, I love what Adams is trying to do, but I'm far from convinced it can work. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm very interested to hear what you guys think. Before you speak, trying and step away from your obsessive gearhead persona, and think about as a recreational golfer, or a guy just starting to play the game.

Here are the first 4 videos:

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

This seems rather childish and I get that they are going for the recreational golfer but, they might want to rethink their definition of recreational golfer.

"oh these aren't my range balls?"

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

These are awesome. Gary McCord is an acquired taste, but I can't wait for the next 16. 

Memorable quotes:

"What are you practicing to be an eclipse?"

"These aren't my range balls?"

"If your ball goes in the prickly forest, I won't help you look."

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

This seems rather childish and I get that they are going for the recreational golfer but, they might want to rethink their definition of recreational golfer.

"oh these aren't my range balls?"

I agree about the childish part.  It may appeal to some, but I think it could come across as "talking down" to people.  I think it could be done a little more professional and still reach the target audience. The length of each video is about right.  I could certainly do without the whistling!!!

"Here are the first 4 videos"?  #1, 4, 12, and 20?  Seems like they already have at least 20.  Wonder what other ones are between 1 and 20?

Reminds me of an updated version of the old B&W movie film clips that you would see in theaters in the '50's and '60's:  Could be titled "Golfing and You"  :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think they kind of nailed those.  Fun, but I don't think they come off as condescending.

These should be mandatory to have on a loop in the clubhouse, proshop, and starter shack at every public course.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

At the same time, I think someone looking to start playing golf will probably look at the golf channel or something along those lines and see Taylormade and the Callaways and Titleist and think these are the best and go buy them anyways. Most people. It's like the Wal-Mart effect. Wal-Mart has preached the lowest prices for years and years and although they typically aren't, if you need toilette paper or clothes or a toy, MOST people think "Wal-Mart" first. 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I'd like to see the rest, but I think they can be useful to an outright beginner.  Hopefully they have more than one that addresses pace of play, including appropriate Tee Boxes.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I like it.......they take some very basic items of golf etiquette and make them understandable.

Now stop being an "eclipse" and get your a@# out of my line.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I'd like to see the rest, but I think they can be useful to an outright beginner.  Hopefully they have more than one that addresses pace of play, including appropriate Tee Boxes.

I agree I would like to see the rest as well. I do think they would be useful to an "outright" beginner but they are marketing these towards the "recreational" golfer. Which IMO is not an outright beginner.

Tee boxes need to be addressed on all levels. Gone are the days where Red tees are "women" tees. Tee Boxes should be played based on handicap. I get it is a pride thing for some, but how many times have you watched someone struggle from the tips just because 2-3 out of the 4some is playing there. Take a pride pill and move up a box.

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

I'm going to tire of the whistling in short order if they play these during commercial breaks during tourney coverage.

Golf knows we're tired of being lied to. But, these vapid, no-nothing campaigns are knee-jerk in response.

It's like no one will make any product claims anymore. Which is probably closer to the truth.

Golf is supposedly enjoyed by more educated, affluent consumers. The ads just don't reflect it. Really dumbed down and kinda insulting. Not just these.

And "high handicapper" and "recreational golfer" is just fun with semantics. "New classes" of golfers didn't suddenly emerge from the fog just because some marketing team insists as much.

Two years is usually the death knell for acquired companies. Ask Hogan. How sad will it be if this is how Adams goes out?

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

• 2 weeks later...

Always loved Adams equipment especially hybrids and irons. Hoping they still make high quality gear. I remember a few years back I was gaming the insight xtd3 irons and loved em. Fact wish I still had em sometimes when I struggle with the C100s. lol

Ping K15 10.5° Regular TFC

Maxfli 3 Wood 15° Regular Series 76 tip stiff

Adams A12OS 19° 3 Hybrid Pro Launch Blue Regular

Wilson Staff C-100 4-GW Aldila RIP Phenom xi75 Regular

TMag ATV 54° & 58° Wedges KBS wedge flex

YES Callie-12 C-Groove milled, 35" Winn Jumbo Light grip

Archived