JBones

Forum Member Review - Paderson Shafts

I'm guessing a lot has to do with angle of attack.  I'd be very curious to see if reduces spin with a downward angle of attack or actually increases it. 

They don't state any of the testing parameters other than "robot testing" which basically to me means they couldn't replicate it with an actual person swinging the club.

Me too.  I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around milling decreasing spin.  Of course it wasn't that long ago the world was flat so what do I know?

http://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

Rev, check out that link for an easy way to see what the ball does with various changes to spin, speed and launch angle.  I took 155mph ball speed and just looked at carry distance because roll is too hard to predict.  14.5/2200 goes 263.2 and 14.5/2600 goes 264.9

Another words 400 RPMs make very little difference. That gets me back to my beef with Srixon!

Technical Time Out!

Relative to lesser of the oblique impacts, driver, fairway, hybrid:

1. Translating up the face, (sliding) will increase spin. The affect is linear in terms of compressive loading.

2. The greater the distance the ball slides prior to the point of separation, the greater it will spin.

3. Luberous coatings, lower the coefficient of friction! The lower the coefficient of friction, the less distance the ball will travel (compressively load) up the face. The rounder the ball will remain, the less it will spin. The greater energy it has to project = higher ball speed lower spin.

4. COR is a measurement of loss. Contrary to marketing, the "spring-like" affect is in fact, face compliance in the normal direction. IT IS NOT possible for a passive unsupported face (as found in all USGA compliant drivers) to rebound in time, during the secong half of the impact event, so as to trampoline the ball outbound. We do however tailor face compliance, to minimizing ball travel, reducing the quantity of deformation in the ball (compression / flattening) over the impact event. This will achieve a rounder golf ball, higher outbound ball speed at the point of separation. The higher the COR in a driver or HOT fairway metal, the greater the face deflection. The more the face complies, the less the ball will flatten.

5. Conversely, with oblique impacts, say wedges, whereby high spin is the desired affect. We tailor clubheads around material hardness. The harder the face (head) material, the greater the affective force load of impact, regardless of swing speed. The Harder the face, the more the ball will compressively load in the face normal direction, the less the ball will travel up the face, the greater it will spin. In conjunction with faces having inherently higher coefficient of friction and face and groove spec (latter within USGA' defined guidelines) work to channel moisture, affectively creating "rolling friction".

• Like 6

If I'm reading what Jason has written rightly I'm understanding that the less the ball is compressed with the driver the farther it will go? Compression is much more significant for shorter shots. Is that correct?

Also while we think of oil as a lubricant those who seek to cheat are actually using it to reduce roll up the club, thereby reducing spin and creating more distance.

Of course I may need my physicist son to translate it all for me. :)

Wait a minute, maybe I'm completely misunderstanding, but your first three seem to contradict each other.

1 & 2. Are you saying if the ball slides up the face as opposed to gripping the face it spins more? More slide more spin? That's counterintuitive, but maybe something else is happening.

3. If sliding as opposed to gripping the face increases spin, why would lowering the friction with a foreign substance lower spin?

4. This really needs to go in another thread.

If I'm reading what Jason has written rightly I'm understanding that the less the ball is compressed with the driver the farther it will go? Compression is much more significant for shorter shots. Is that correct?

Also while we think of oil as a lubricant those who seek to cheat are actually using it to reduce roll up the club, thereby reducing spin and creating more distance.

Of course I may need my physicist son to translate it all for me. :)

That is correct, which is why distance balls are as hard as a rock.  I was testing out drivers on the Flight Scope the other day and I can verify this theory.  I hit a Taylormade TP X that launched at 14* with a little under 2100rpm spin, it had a 307 carry with 323 total distance.  I then hit a Slazenger Raw Distance with the same driver and it launched at 18* with 1200rpm spin, it had a 298 carry with a 350 total distance.

Anywho, lets get back to the shafts.

• Like 4

Wow! From driver shafts. To, how a ball spins or slips off of a driver face. To, the new Bridgestone driver, to driver head cor. I thought we were here to review a golf driver shaft?! Now you have to read through 3 pages of bull$h!t before there is mention of a driver shaft!!

• Like 3

Ii do want to apologize to those checking in about the shaft review. Because we are such a tight knit community some of us get into side bars and get carried away. We shouldn't do that in a review thread. Bones or Theoo is there away to remove the extraneous stuff?

In regards to the Paderson shaft I continue to see promising results and am lookining forward to being invited to send in my next round of testing. I'm also looking forward to seeing how the shaft performs under a little pressure. I start playing some competitive golf again in the three weeks.

• Like 3

Got to hit a few with the Paderson today at the range. 42* temps. in a light drizzle. For as bad as my swing is right now, I'm pretty pleased with the results. Liking the "feel" of this shaft vs. the Red Tie. Still a ton of snow on the ground up here. But, looking forward to putting some more time in with this shaft. I think it's going to be a good fit. Loving the look of the club all put together.

Now, GO HOME WINTER! YOUR DRUNK!!!

• Like 3

Ii do want to apologize to those checking in about the shaft review. Because we are such a tight knit community some of us get into side bars and get carried away. We shouldn't do that in a review thread. Bones or Theoo is there away to remove the extraneous stuff?

In regards to the Paderson shaft I continue to see promising results and am lookining forward to being invited to send in my next round of testing. I'm also looking forward to seeing how the shaft performs under a little pressure. I start playing some competitive golf again in the three weeks.

Don't worry about it Rev. Let's just try to keep this thread about the shafts and the reviews.

In other news just got my hybrid shaft installed and have a trackman session for tomorrow to try it out. I'm pretty excited!

• Like 1

I haven't been online much the past couple of days, still haven't been able to get to an open driving range, but I'm using a local muni that I'm working at this summer to at least hit some balls outside.  Can't really verify distances right now, but the Paderson is still looking and feeling good, with better ball flight and generally longer drives than my other shafts.  Starting to compare with both 10.5* and 12* heads, and since they're both Titleist 913 D2 heads I have more shaft & loft options available now!! ;)

• Like 2

I'm not even a reviewer but I put this shaft in the hands of a guy with an average swing speed of 120 miles an hour today. He's a decent ball striker and hits the ball a long way as you can imagine. He absolutely crushes the green Kevlar in a 72 gram stiff with a Cobra Biocell + set at 9.5 degrees....we played 18 together with it and we both tried to get it to balloon into the wind and it just wouldn't. I must say that under those conditions this is a very promising development. I don't have specs or spin or anything at this point but those things don't matter on a golf course. It just flat out performed today.

• Like 3

Stability in the wind is hugely important for me this time of year (see the Valspar), I must say I'm getting a nice stable ball flight shot after shot, ball launches high, flattens and stays in the air a long time.

Stability in the wind is hugely important for me this time of year (see the Valspar), I must say I'm getting a nice stable ball flight shot after shot, ball launches high, flattens and stays in the air a long time.

It's been pretty windy here the past couple of days, as it often is, and I have to agree the flight appears to be more stable with the Paderson. 

Even if all else were equal between shafts, that's a major plus.

• Like 1

I'm not even a reviewer but I put this shaft in the hands of a guy with an average swing speed of 120 miles an hour today. He's a decent ball striker and hits the ball a long way as you can imagine. He absolutely crushes the green Kevlar in a 72 gram stiff with a Cobra Biocell + set at 9.5 degrees....we played 18 together with it and we both tried to get it to balloon into the wind and it just wouldn't. I must say that under those conditions this is a very promising development. I don't have specs or spin or anything at this point but those things don't matter on a golf course. It just flat out performed today.

120 mph and only a stiff? I would think he would see much better results with an X

120 mph and only a stiff? I would think he would see much better results with an X

If the spin and launch isn't too high with Stiff, maybe not.

If the spin and launch isn't too high with Stiff, maybe not.

Yea you never know I guess. The guy I mentioned in the other thread only plays a stiff in his driver. Although I think it is tipped a good bit.

The stiff is just what I happened to have on hand. It wasn't FIT to him but surprisingly, he didn't overload it even with his relatively strong transition.

• Like 1