JBones

Forum Member Review - Paderson Shafts

Ideal day to see the shaft in action on the range. Slight breeze from left to right. Where I was at on the range there were two very visible flags one at 204 the other 229.

I hit 12 straight drivers in the middle part of the session. One was toed and another slightly healed, the rest were pretty much flush. All flew past the 204 flag and most landing very close to the 229 flag and then bounced past it to where I couldn't see the roll out. I hit my very last ball with driver also and it flew right next to the 229 flag and hopped over the ridge.

Very promising!

I have a tee time for Friday and then will get some definitive LM numbers. I'm very comfortable with the Pderson shaft and comfortable enough with my swing at this point too.

I'm posting this final follow up here at the end of the thread, rather than re-edit my place-holder, because guys look at the end for their chronological updates.    And this post is all about the shaft, hopefully nothing that will distract.

Temp's here in Utah have been in the 70's with light winds and firm, although winter-killed fairway conditions.   So no abherrent variables to influence distance or dispersion results.  I've played three more rounds using only the Paderson Kevlar Green as my driver shaft.   It has been, in a word, superb.  After noticing its tendency to hit the ball low and heely with my normal set-up, I changed my tee height and address position ever so slightly to correct the average impact more towards the center face.   This took a bit of range fiddling, but it finally worked.  Now it's really cooking.

I can say confidently that this shaft is clearly better than my gamer and leaps and bounds better than the vaunted Aldila Rogue Silver and Black that I was testing simultaneously.

Let me see if I can put my enthusiasm for the shaft in perspective.   In my last round, played on my home course (that has remained unchanged for 40 years of my life) I had 2 personal bests out of 10 total driver holes.   I have literally played this course thousands of times, I play it 50 to 100 times per year.   To get even ONE new personal best drive PER year would be significant if I was in my 30's or 40's.   But I'm not.   I'm in my fifties and getting older every day and I had 2 in one day.   That's really something.  I also hit 9 of 10 fairways.

Here are the things that impress me most about it:

1) It's very stable.  It rarely puts any curvature on a drive, either left or right.  I've never hit a true slice with it and the hooks are more "pulls" than true hooks.  

2) Its higher torque numbers are misleading.   If I didn't know and you'd have asked me what its torque rating was after I've hit it, I would have said "under 3".   Some people are going to be scared by its higher torque rating, but they shouldn't be.  I don't know how Paderson should get that point across to its consumers, but they need to work on it.  Guys look at club and shaft spec's blindly and the torque rating will scare them.

3) It has excellent dispersion.  If I can avoid my smother pull hook flaw, I know exactly where this one is going with a very small margin of error.

4) It's definitely longer, but I think this length is due to a combination of factors for me.  

• First, it has lower spin combined with a lower tendency towards "sidespin" (of which we know there is no such thing, just spin on a different axis, but regardless it has less of it.) 
  • It delivers a consistently lower, more piercing ball flight, which allows me to tee it up higher or even dial the club up a degree, and also take a bigger sweepigng cut with a more positive AoA.   This also helps.
  • Since I have more confidence in where it's going to go (see the previous point), I can also take a larger more confident cut.

Do you see what I'm trying to say here?   I'm saying it goes further because all of its attributes allow me to "dial it up to eleven" more so than with my other shafts.  

Anyway, it stays in the bag with me.   This is perhaps the greatest compliment any golfer can pay to any golf product  --  "It stays in the bag."   

You have no idea how many shafts and clubs I try every year that can't claim that honor, so when I find one it really means something to me.   I could care less what any of the other testers think of it, or what its LM numbers or specs are, or even that the company's marketing approach is a little too complex and confusing.   They could paint pink polkadots on it and call it the Hello Kitty Lollipop Snuggle shaft and I'd still play it.

• Like 4

Nice review Mark.

I still haven't had instructions to post the second part of the review. Should we just go ahead and do that?

I will say that I played a round today on a familiar course, not my regular course but one I play half a dozen times a year. I'm having similar results to Marks, the ball flight is very stable. I had one personal best on the second hole today. Pretty nice to have a gap wedge on a hole where I often have 8 iron because I'm able to fly a tree on the corner of the dogleg.

I had great opportunity to see what happens with miss hits on the back nine. The ball stays in play and in a couple of cases in play and in the fairway with reasonable distance, less spin, less curve, less distance lost on a miss hit. I was 20 to 30 yards past my buddy whom I'm normally 10 yards past. He was hitting it terrible though so that may not be an accurate gauge.

I don't know what we're supposed to do, anyway, I'm done.   My jury is in, there you have it.

I don't know what we're supposed to do, anyway, I'm done.   My jury is in, there you have it.

No.  You are supposed to wait until Sean or JB tell you to post.

I'm posting this final follow up here at the end of the thread, rather than re-edit my place-holder, because guys look at the end for their chronological updates. And this post is all about the shaft, hopefully nothing that will distract.

Temp's here in Utah have been in the 70's with light winds and firm, although winter-killed fairway conditions. So no abherrent variables to influence distance or dispersion results. I've played three more rounds using only the Paderson Kevlar Green as my driver shaft. It has been, in a word, superb. After noticing its tendency to hit the ball low and heely with my normal set-up, I changed my tee height and address position ever so slightly to correct the average impact more towards the center face. This took a bit of range fiddling, but it finally worked. Now it's really cooking.

I can say confidently that this shaft is clearly better than my gamer and leaps and bounds better than the vaunted Aldila Rogue Silver and Black that I was testing simultaneously.

Let me see if I can put my enthusiasm for the shaft in perspective. In my last round, played on my home course (that has remained unchanged for 40 years of my life) I had 2 personal bests out of 10 total driver holes. I have literally played this course thousands of times, I play it 50 to 100 times per year. To get even ONE new personal best drive PER year would be significant if I was in my 30's or 40's. But I'm not. I'm in my fifties and getting older every day and I had 2 in one day. That's really something. I also hit 9 of 10 fairways.

Here are the things that impress me most about it:

1) It's very stable. It rarely puts any curvature on a drive, either left or right. I've never hit a true slice with it and the hooks are more "pulls" than true hooks.

2) Its higher torque numbers are misleading. If I didn't know and you'd have asked me what its torque rating was after I've hit it, I would have said "under 3". Some people are going to be scared by its higher torque rating, but they shouldn't be. I don't know how Paderson should get that point across to its consumers, but they need to work on it. Guys look at club and shaft spec's blindly and the torque rating will scare them.

3) It has excellent dispersion. If I can avoid my smother pull hook flaw, I know exactly where this one is going with a very small margin of error.

4) It's definitely longer, but I think this length is due to a combination of factors for me.

• First, it has lower spin combined with a lower tendency towards "sidespin" (of which we know there is no such thing, just spin on a different axis, but regardless it has less of it.)
  • It delivers a consistently lower, more piercing ball flight, which allows me to tee it up higher or even dial the club up a degree, and also take a bigger sweepigng cut with a more positive AoA. This also helps.
  • Since I have more confidence in where it's going to go (see the previous point), I can also take a larger more confident cut.
Do you see what I'm trying to say here? I'm saying it goes further because all of its attributes allow me to "dial it up to eleven" more so than with my other shafts.

Anyway, it stays in the bag with me. This is perhaps the greatest compliment any golfer can pay to any golf product -- "It stays in the bag."

You have no idea how many shafts and clubs I try every year that can't claim that honor, so when I find one it really means something to me. I could care less what any of the other testers think of it, or what its LM numbers or specs are, or even that the company's marketing approach is a little too complex and confusing. They could paint pink polkadots on it and call it the Hello Kitty Lollipop Snuggle shaft and I'd still play it.

Excellent review! Now that you love the driver, it's time to upgrade the entire bag. #team paderson

• Like 1

I don't know what we're supposed to do, anyway, I'm done. My jury is in, there you have it.

We got emails telling us to wait and not post reviews yet. Also they want you to move your follow up to the follow up placeholder.

• Like 1

Jeez... Where the heck are all of the reviews?!?!?!?

Someone delete all that "shaft measuring" bs and clean this bad boy up!

• Like 2

Jeez... Where the heck are all of the reviews?!?!?!?

Someone delete all that "shaft measuring" bs and clean this bad boy up!

The actual reviews will always be at the beginning of the thread, with links to the individual reviews.  

Just another couple of unboxing reviews to be added, then we'll get the go-ahead to start adding performance reviews.

• Like 1

By this point the shaft is fully assimilated my gamer. I played yesterday, did not hit the ball particularly well with the driver and yet was consistently past my buddy who is normally neck and neck with me. It was a day full of acceptable misses throughout the bag.

To the driver my misses were low in the face so the ball flight was a bit lower. As we made the turn I found my driver swing and knocked them out past everyone in our group, that's very unusual for me particularly in wet conditions.

• Like 2

UPS is late getting my iron shafts in, so even though the weather improved I'm not able to play an actual round :(

That said, I was able to get in some range time and the Paderson continues to impress.  I hadn't been able to swing this past week and started off with my original Fuji shaft and head combo.  I was definitely rusty and it was taking awhile to settle in, but I started getting better results as soon as I started swinging with the Paderson setup.  Switching back and forth throughout the remainder of the bucket, there's just no question for me now that the Paderson is giving me better, more consistent results.

I was honestly happy with my driver/shaft setup until I got the chance to evaluate the Paderson.

Finally got my Nike Vapor Pro head back this past weekend -- will put it on the Paderson and see how it compares to the Aldila Tour Green.  I had to do some loft/face angle adjustments when using a borrowed Covert 2.0 head a few weeks ago, but results were good.  Not great, but good...

Hope to visit a local launch monitor again later this week, and maybe get on the course this weekend.

• Like 1

It's golf season....where are the comments? Been dead on here for a week

You may have answered your own question. I think many guys are finally getting out to play.

• Like 1

It's golf season....where are the comments? Been dead on here for a week

Yeah, this probably wasn't the best timing for shaft testing; snow and rain have hampered all testing, except for those on the coasts.  Everyone has LM data, but want on-course data as well.  They should be coming very soon.

• Like 2

I'm certainly liking the shaft on the course even better than on the LM. It's easy to control the ball flight and I can pretty much dial up a low boring draw or high floating draw at will.

• Like 1

Weather looks like it is finally coming around over here. Hoping to get out on the course this weekend, early next week. Had some limited range time with it. So far so good. But, still shaking off the winter rust.

• Like 1

We went from cold and snow to just plain cold to cold and rainy.... Michigan is brutal right now. I have been out once so far and have had awesome results compared to my gamer shaft!

• Like 2