JBones

Forum Member Review - Paderson Shafts

Good job Rick! I liked the joke about the 364 average. Cracked me up.

Great job on the images and format though. It looks like a professional review.

The Bard is back! Great review Rick.

@undershooter and hckymeyer given what we know about equipment I would say that it's close to impossible for the same shaft to offer the same benefit for 12 golfers of varying swing speeds, AoAs, transitions, etc.

Having written that this shaft really works for me. I've gained some yardage and a bit more consistency. I played a 410 yard par 4 yesterday wind across and in, right to left. Hit a low rope that left me 178 to a back pin. The drive went 236 into the wind. I would have expected 220 tops with my old shaft, leaving me 190 plus, into the wind over water, probably a lay up. Instead I had a simple 4 hybrid.

I was also neck and neck with my playing partner. When he unloaded he was longer than me but I guarantee my average drive was longer than his and I hit the longest drive more frequently than he did. I was very pleased.

• Like 1

The Bard is back! Great review Rick.

@undershooter and hckymeyer given what we know about equipment I would say that it's close to impossible for the same shaft to offer the same benefit for 12 golfers of varying swing speeds, AoAs, transitions, etc.

Having written that this shaft really works for me. I've gained some yardage and a bit more consistency. I played a 410 yard par 4 yesterday wind across and in, right to left. Hit a low rope that left me 178 to a back pin. The drive went 236 into the wind. I would have expected 220 tops with my old shaft, leaving me 190 plus, into the wind over water, probably a lay up. Instead I had a simple 4 hybrid.

I was also neck and neck with my playing partner. When he unloaded he was longer than me but I guarantee my average drive was longer than his and I hit the longest drive more frequently than he did. I was very pleased.

I'm not saying it's a bad shaft Rev. It actually seems to be a very good shaft when I take a little off, swing smooth and try not to release as late. That just isn't a very comfortable swing for me. I'm much more comfortable going after it a little.

I'm not saying it's a bad shaft Rev. It actually seems to be a very good shaft when I take a little off, swing smooth and try not to release as late. That just isn't a very comfortable swing for me. I'm much more comfortable going after it a little.

I would say it works better for me with a later release. Where I get in trouble with it is when I think about adding power or when to release. Certainly, an early release with this shaft is much more of a disaster than with other shafts.

I also made some minor swing adjustments to get this shaft to work. But it is not like I had a good driver swing before.

I would say it works better for me with a later release. Where I get in trouble with it is when I think about adding power or when to release. Certainly, an early release with this shaft is much more of a disaster than with other shafts.

I also made some minor swing adjustments to get this shaft to work. But it is not like I had a good driver swing before.

The more I go after it, the later I release the shaft and the further right this shaft goes lol

The more I go after it, the later I release the shaft and the further right this shaft goes lol

True for me, as well.  But that seems to be true regardless of the shaft I use, at least in my case.

• Like 2

Probably not releasing enough to square up in time and maybe getting ahead of the ball. Going after it usually makes the swing break down more than an equipment issue. But it's possible.

• Like 2

Probably not releasing enough square up in time and maybe getting ahead of the ball. Going after it usually makes the swing break down more than an equipment issue. But it's possible.

No doubt a swing flaw on my part but I do a lot better with boardy shafts where it takes a lot of torque to feel the shaft kick. In this case the ahina holds up better than the Paderson does.
  • Like 1

No doubt a swing flaw on my part but I do a lot better with boardy shafts where it takes a lot of torque to feel the shaft kick. In this case the ahina holds up better than the Paderson does.

It really is about knowing one's tendencies and legislating for those.

The big thing for me is that I don't want to have to adjust my swing to a shaft.  I already have a shaft that fits me wonderfully and allows me to swing my swing (Diamana D+).  I'm fitting a shaft to my swing, not my swing to a shaft.  That defeats the purpose of getting fit in the first place.

• Like 5

That same shaft has been better in my driver than any other I've tried. Funny thing though, I put it in my other driver and it doesn't work or feel as good.

• Like 1

I once was lost in that I was in the shaft only school. We had a blog article on MGS a couple of years ago that convinced me it's both. That got me to try an SLDR! That head with lots of loft makes sense for my swing. The Paderson shaft on that head really woks, for me.

That entire sentence is operative. BTW I'm also playing a shaft that is 45 7/8 up from 441/2. I'm longer and just as straight or a tad straighter and more consistent than I was.

• Like 1

My experience was surprising putting the same shaft on two cobra heads very similar to each other. The same adapter goes in both and the swing weights come out almost the same, inside one point. I just can't get the same feel out of the newer head. Plus it's less consistent and not as long on average. Go figure.

True for me, as well.  But that seems to be true regardless of the shaft I use, at least in my case.

Perhaps where we differ is that I said that I spent some time on the range and had to make some set up adjustments that first Saturday morning. I learned that if I took a very strong grip that this launched high and deep.

I stated that it was not love at first swing. Not only did the kick feel funny, it did slice and spin. Solution? The same with any slice. Hit a draw. I took a much stronger grip and set up to hit the draw. Problem solved.

It actually took me a long time, and some more work, to be able to hit a fade with this shaft. A fade as opposed to a slice. The trick to that was to allow the shaft to do the work. I also find that if I really want to hit it far, I do not need to go after it. Of course that is easier to say than do.

• Like 1

Perhaps where we differ is that I said that I spent some time on the range and had to make some set up adjustments that first Saturday morning. I learned that if I took a very strong grip that this launched high and deep.

I stated that it was not love at first swing. Not only did the kick feel funny, it did slice and spin. Solution? The same with any slice. Hit a draw. I took a much stronger grip and set up to hit the draw. Problem solved.

It actually took me a long time, and some more work, to be able to hit a fade with this shaft. A fade as opposed to a slice. The trick to that was to allow the shaft to do the work. I also find that if I really want to hit it far, I do not need to go after it. Of course that is easier to say than do.

I don't mind adapting to equipment with certain clubs but driver is not one I'm going to dry to do it with. I did the same thing where I tried to hit draws on the range. It helped but every time I had a pressure drive where I needed to hit a little cut I had a tendency to overcook it. So I prefer the Ahina where I don't have to change myself to suit it. I really wanted to like this shaft. Y'all will see the rest in my review.