TESTERS WANTED! ×

Harrison Ford injured in plane crash on a golf course

JBones

Harrison Ford the latest to survive crash-landing plane on a golf course

By John Strege

It was actor Harrison Ford’s good fortune as well as others on the ground that a golf course was near the airport at which he was attempting to return when he crash-landed his World War II training aircraft on Thursday.

Ford, who was hospitalized after suffering injuries that were not life-threatening, brought his plane down on Penmar Golf Course in Venice, catercorner from the end of the Santa Monica Municipal Airport runway from which he had taken off only moments earlier.

penmar.jpg
(Google Maps)

“Looking at where he crashed and how the plane went down, I'm sure there was a moment where he said, ‘I’m not going to risk lives, whatever happens, happens. It's going to be just me,’” Eddie Aguglia, who was playing a round of golf at the time, told NBC News.

“He risked life and limb by putting it down on the golf course instead of trying to go further to try to get back to the airport. Another 25 to 30 yards and…I don't want to think about it. He saved several lives.”

FordHarrison.jpg
(Getty Images)

Golf courses are often used as emergency landing strips, given their often wide and relatively flat fairways. Last month, one plane made an emergency landing at Skywest Golf Course in Hayward, Calif., and another crash-landed at Valley View Golf Course in Layton, Utah. During World War II, the War Department viewed golf courses near coastlines as potential emergency landing strips.

Airplane manufacturer and movie producer Howard Hughes was test-piloting an experimental Army photographic plane when it experienced trouble and was attempting to land it on Los Angeles Country club, when he came up about 100 yards short, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Penmar is a short (2,582 yards) nine-hole course owned by the city of Los Angeles. It opened in 1962.

We had a guy crash land his plane into a bay about a year ago.  I got out, waded to shore, walked into a golf course clubhouse and ordered a diet pepsi.  He said that he could have gone for the course but didn't want to damage a green.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

We had one of the banner planes land on the 10th hole at Wicked Stick Golf Club here at the beach about 8 years or so ago now. The pilot said he lost oil pressure and made a wheels down deadstick landing. I was not there when it happened. They took the wings off and trucked it out back to it's little airport. 2 weeks later same plane same pilot lost oil pressure again and this time ditched it in the ocean next to the beach. He was un injured either time but the plane sank in shallow water and was done for

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I heard he shot down 4 Tie Fighters before he had to set her down!

Driver: :adams-small: XTD Ti 9* Matrix Ozik Red Tie s flex                        

Fairway: :cobra-small: AMP 15* Aldila RIP s flex               

Hybrid:  :cleveland-small: 588 Custom 20.5* Matrix Ozik Altus

Irons: :taylormade-small:  2014 Tour Preferred MC 4-pw w/ KBS Tour s flex +1"  

Wedges:  :scatch-golf-1: 8620 50*DD w/ KBS Rev, 54* and 58* DD w/ KBS C-Taper  

Putter: :bridgestone-small:  TD-01 True Balance 34"

Yeah, his flight was a little low. Came up just short of the green.

Driver: :adams-small: XTD Ti 9* Matrix Ozik Red Tie s flex                        

Fairway: :cobra-small: AMP 15* Aldila RIP s flex               

Hybrid:  :cleveland-small: 588 Custom 20.5* Matrix Ozik Altus

Irons: :taylormade-small:  2014 Tour Preferred MC 4-pw w/ KBS Tour s flex +1"  

Wedges:  :scatch-golf-1: 8620 50*DD w/ KBS Rev, 54* and 58* DD w/ KBS C-Taper  

Putter: :bridgestone-small:  TD-01 True Balance 34"

We have a small airport just north of my home course that they do a lot of skydiving out of. Fun to watch. However, there was one guy's chute that didn't open last year I heard. Glad I wasn't playing that day.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Archived