TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rory hits a bad shot, loses temper, throws his club in the water

Severtheties

Rory hits a bad shot, loses temper, throws his club in the water  

By Luke Kerr-Dineen

After ripping his drive down the fairway on Doral's par-5 8th, Rory hit a bad second shot into water and sentenced his 3-iron to death by drowning. He went on to make bogey on the hole, which dropped him to one-over for the tournament.

Don't take our word for it:

It brings to mind the famous Tommy Bolt photograph, who was renowned for his bad temper.

"If you're going to throw a club it is important to throw it ahead of you," he once said, "down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up."

blotroryclubthrow-260.jpg
"If you're going to throw a club it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up."

It's worth nothing that this isn't the first time Rory's punished his clubs, either. After dunking a shot into the water on Merion's 11th hole at the 2013 U.S. Open, he destroyed his 8-iron.

So Rory apparently has a bit of a temper, which I could imagine a lot of us could empathize with. I've never broken a club but one of my favorite stories about my dad was his old (he has since calmed WAY down) habit of throwing clubs after bad shots. We were out on a fall evening just turning a quick 9 before the sun went down. My dad just absolute scalds a 7 iron down the fairway (and hadn't really hit a good shot yet that evening). Next thing I know I hear the sound of a club flying through the air, the club manages to hit the smallest, skinniest low hanging branch next to the fairway you could imagine and absolutely snaps the club in half. We laughed so far because it was so unbelievable. I believe his first reaction was "your mom is going to kick my a$$."

Anyone else have any good club throwing stories?

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I was surprising impressed with his distance. There was some air under that club!

I played Chantilly in France with Titleist/FootJoy on a press trip. Terrible round, beautiful course. Felt sick, threw up on #13. The hole is actually very well designed, I just didn't feel well.

Anyway. After four amazingly bad holes I was so frustrated. Chantilly is a stylish place outside Paris. And the Titleist/FootJoy guys seemed to have class too. They all play blades, use wingtips, tuck in their shirts and have +117 handicaps. So I asked for permission to throw a club after I pulled another short wedge. 

Got the green light for a throw - and I pulled it. Landed in a bunker. I had to rake a bunker because I couldn't even throw a club that day.

My favorite club throwing story involves my friend Vinny Clemente (yeah, he's italian).

Vinny was one of the worst golfers ever, but held himself to incredibly high standards. He threw clubs REGULARLY.

One day he hit a bad drive on #3. So he immediately helicoptered his driver into the nearest tree. It settled about 40 feet up.

So of course he tells me, "throw your driver up there and knock it down".

Um, no Vinny.

As far as I know, his driver is still in that tree.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

My favorite club throwing story involves my friend Vinny Clemente (yeah, he's italian).

Vinny was one of the worst golfers ever, but held himself to incredibly high standards. He threw clubs REGULARLY.

One day he hit a bad drive on #3. So he immediately helicoptered his driver into the nearest tree. It settled about 40 feet up.

So of course he tells me, "throw your driver up there and knock it down".

Um, no Vinny.

As far as I know, his driver is still in that tree.

Lol that's hilarious

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

So was Vinny.

He played CROG, aka, Clemente Rules Of Golf.

Rule #1. If it's in a bunker, throw it out, no penalty

Rule#2. If you don't like the shot, take another. No penalty.

Rule #3. Give me a beer and shut up about stepping on your line, no penalty.

I played golf with Vinny a lot :-)

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

So was Vinny.

He played CROG, aka, Clemente Rules Of Golf.

Rule #1. If it's in a bunker, throw it out, no penalty

Rule#2. If you don't like the shot, take another. No penalty.

Rule #3. Give me a beer and shut up about stepping on your line, no penalty.

I played golf with Vinny a lot :-)

Haha thats great! 

So what 3-iron did he throw? I heard that he dumped the Vapor irons and went back to the VR pro irons. Is that OK with Nike?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

So what 3-iron did he throw? I heard that he dumped the Vapor irons and went back to the VR pro irons. Is that OK with Nike?

Why wouldn't it be?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I read a story that someone asked his caddie that same question and he replied "A nike one"

Epic release Rory

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

I read a story that someone asked his caddie that same question and he replied "A nike one"

Epic release Rory

It was on twitter. Roger Maltby asked his caddie what club he threw and the caddie replied "a nike one" lol sure Nike ain't to thrilled about that one.

My Dad, I guess years ago was playing our home course and he hit a bad tee shot. This is when they were using persimmon woods and the tee boxes at the course back then were made of wood. So Dad apparently lost his cool and proceeded to hit that tee box. The guy who told me the story said that that tee box exploded into a million pieces all over lol. Dad was known to drive the ball well over 300 yards back then so that tee box had no chance lol

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

So a diver retrieves Rory's 3i from the water, Donald Trump presents it to Rory and he puts it back in his bag. Now they say it's going in a glass case to commemorate the incident. So much for it being "frowned" on....

Haha! He hit driver and then his next shot both into the water. He pretended he was going to sling his club into the water like the first time except he didn't let go of it this time. Kinda funny.

This was not a club throwing incident, but this was the time where I almost lost my entire bag.  I was at kids tournament last year, and I was still using a push cart back then.  I get up to the green, and the next hole was down a really steep hill, and I take out my putter, and let the push cart go.  What I really didn't pay attention to was that there was a lake right next to the tee box.  As I watch the push cart roll, I see it slowly start to turn to the right, right at the lake, and by that time, I wouldn't have been able to catch up to it if I even wanted to, because it was picking up speed.  I was frozen just praying that it would stop short, and somehow, it slows down and stops one foot short of the lake, and everyone there just looks at me like I am the biggest idiot in the world and laughs. 

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Shoot, first double post.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

In our club tournament I've seen the same guy blow out his knee twice two years apart.

The first time he hit a poor approach shot into the par 5 16th hole. He went to throw his club and when he pivoted his foot got stuck in the turf and he blew his knee out. His iron flew an impressive distance and I had to go retrieve it after we drove him to the parking lot.

The second time was two years later in the club tournament. We had just planted about 100 new trees the year before and they had been roped and ground under repair until that tournament. He bombed a drive on #8 and was about 30 yards out on the short par 4 under one of the new trees. He hit his shot but clipped one of the branches in his back swing that hadn't been in the way during his practice swings. He of course got upset at the poor shot and started to swing at the branch but missed it with a full swing and since he was in an awkward stance he blew out his knee again. He let the club go from the pain and it flew about 30 yards back down the fairway.

Since then he has gotten married, calmed down a ton, has two children, and plays better golf. : p

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

It is moments like this that really show the difference between the amateurs and the professionals. When I saw him throw that club, I thought:..

No over-the-top-move there, full wrist cock and maintains it until just before the release. Now that is the temper tantrum of a true professional.  Ok, an immature 'professional' and the behavior is certainly not professional, but it was still a nice swing, and good distance too.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

And a diver went and retrieved it and gave it back to him. Everyone has a moment, some do very well and keep it in, others don't, I think it's good to see the emotion but its bad because, well, it just is. He did a very good job of "saving it" in his interview after the round, we all need the "second thought" to be the first thought.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived