TESTERS WANTED! ×

SkyTrak Golf Launch Monitor Review

Tinkering

MIke,

I recently joined this site and enjoyed reading your review.  I posted a question in the gadgets,training aid forum about skytrak.  I have had one about a year and have not felt totally comfortable with a lot of their numbers.  Specifically cluhead spped vs ball speed and smash factor.  If you get a second please take a look at my post and let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions.

Appreciate you,

Jeff

• 7 months later...

I have had the Skytrak system with iPad for about a year now. It's great.

I recently took it and compared with a pro flightscope with one of our resident pros. He was impressed given the disparity in cost. The difference per shot was under 5% on most parameters, and over a 10-20 shot range the averages were almost identical. A great bit of kit for improvement your game.

Also use it to play at home using The Golf Club game and this is brilliant. Pretty much any course in the world and can generally play the course that the of A tour are playing each week.

Highly recommended.

As a great tutor once said, 'Take dead aim.'Kit: Taylor made M2 driver 9.5, 3w 15 & 3 hybrid 19, Ping crossover 3iron, pxg 0311 irons 5 through to wedge, Taylormade 50 & 60 wedges, Titleist vokey sm6 56 wedge, Scotty Cameron select Newport 2.5 putter, ball - Vice Pro +, Range / practice kit - skytrak and ipad.

I have had the Skytrak system with iPad for about a year now. It's great.

I recently took it and compared with a pro flightscope with one of our resident pros. He was impressed given the disparity in cost. The difference per shot was under 5% on most parameters, and over a 10-20 shot range the averages were almost identical. A great bit of kit for improvement your game.

Also use it to play at home using The Golf Club game and this is brilliant. Pretty much any course in the world and can generally play the course that the of A tour are playing each week.

Highly recommended.

My neighbor has one setup in his garage. Haven't tested it out yet though. Good to know that it's close to the more expensive systems.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Curious if anyone has tried a dimpled foam golf ball with Skytrack?  I don't expect it to be as accurate but if I can get an idea about quality of shot this would be enough.

I have been thinking about one for a few months and would be great outside hitting into a net in the summer.  Winter months are more of a problem.  The only area I have enough height to swing in my house is the entrance way.  Can not use a net but I can close some doors and hit foam balls into a couple of them.  It would make it much more worthwhile if I can use it year round.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

Has anyone messed around with the other aspects of Skytrack beside just a range session?  I was curious on how people feel the course simulations are and if there are any other "games" to play on it.  For example, GC Quad has FX skill challenge and a Zombie game I believe.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

I'll get on it with a dimpled foam ball and revert back

As a great tutor once said, 'Take dead aim.'Kit: Taylor made M2 driver 9.5, 3w 15 & 3 hybrid 19, Ping crossover 3iron, pxg 0311 irons 5 through to wedge, Taylormade 50 & 60 wedges, Titleist vokey sm6 56 wedge, Scotty Cameron select Newport 2.5 putter, ball - Vice Pro +, Range / practice kit - skytrak and ipad.

Has anyone messed around with the other aspects of Skytrack beside just a range session? I was curious on how people feel the course simulations are and if there are any other "games" to play on it. For example, GC Quad has FX skill challenge and a Zombie game I believe.

It has a few other games to play with friends. An accuracy game that yardage and closeness can be adjusted.

The games that can be linked to it to play actual golf courses are good. Only downside was putting not great but gave 5ft gimmies to speed the game up. (If only this was allowed on real golf courses!)

I'll get on it with a dimpled foam ball and revert back

That would be great.  Thank you.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

• 1 month later...

Has anyone messed around with the other aspects of Skytrack beside just a range session?  I was curious on how people feel the course simulations are and if there are any other "games" to play on it.  For example, GC Quad has FX skill challenge and a Zombie game I believe.

Skytrak has a handicap skills assessment (shameless plug below to my youtube channel that i do them and upload them to) they also have target practice that you can do multiplayer between two people, a longest drive and a closest to the pin, thats all through skytrak itself. It also has simulation with E6, JNPG, TGC, CreativeGolf3d, some kind of fitness golf where you walk/run on a treadmill then hit on courses and i think one other. I have TGC bought the lifetime membership recently and its just been awesome. They have a tour that guys over at golfsimulatorforum.com take care of i believe and play weekly courses that are playing on tour almost every week. great community of guys that take care of things. I think skytrak is just an awesome unit, i have had mine for what will be a year in june (got it on the fathers day sale which should be coming back around here shortly) sorry if somebody else responded to you before i got with ya.

https://youtu.be/OkUaz_C1UBU

Taylormade Aeroburners Stiff Shat +1 Inch in length Standard Lie

Callaway XR 16 Pro 10.5 degree Stiff Shaft

Right-handed golfer here

KC, MO

22 Handicap

Skytrak User and on the TGC Tour! Look me up (same username)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my SkyTrak last year as well - head's up, the "Father's Day Sale" is open and they're currently offering $300 off the regular price.

That's the deal I got last year and I've been very happy with the performance of this unit.

I had some friends over, who were skeptical about the accuracy, so we set-up some Par 3 Contests.

They all chose their clubs that they'd normally hit on the range.  The distances were spot-on!!

When you blade on, it shows...hit one fat, yep loss in yardage.  If you know your game well enough and can tell from the feel when you slice or hook - then you know the SkyTrak gives you reliable feedback and shot flight indication.  The early models had software issues, but the latest version (v3.1.1) are bug-free and accurate!

If you're in the market for your own launch monitor, get one now!  My profession is an Engineer and I never buy anything without doing thorough research.

If you want all the stats, to include back and side-spin - and don't want to get out a small bank loan to put this together, then the SkyTrak is for you.

-- P.J.

v3_practice1_900x675.jpg

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.759aae909d1e285c243d16aec01bb7c2.png ELIXR
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

• 9 months later...

Reading the beginning of this thread I’m wondering what your thoughts on the SkyTrak are now, almost four years later. Version 3.3.2 is out now with 3.4 and 4.0 announced this year at the PGA Merchandise show.

I’ve had nothing but great results with my SkyTrak. I’ve had it about two and a half years now and use it constantly, year round, for practicing on and playing rounds with my buddies.

I’ve found that the SkyTrak reads pretty true to what I hit at the range or on the golf course. Occasionally I’ll get a weird read but it’s never more than two yards of what it would be IRL.

Overall I’ve been impressed with the photometric camera, the accuracy, and the price. It is definitely the best bang for your buck currently on the market in regards to launch monitors.

Skytrak is a sweet system. Didn't realize you could bring it to the range and use outside. I guess if it is battery powered and connects straight to an ipad then good to go! Just a bit pricey....

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

12 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

Skytrak is a sweet system. Didn't realize you could bring it to the range and use outside. I guess if it is battery powered and connects straight to an ipad then good to go! Just a bit pricey....

I haven't tried mine outside yet, the ground still being covered with snow.

But from what I've read, the SkyTrak often struggles in direct sunlight. Some kind of shade is supposed to help. I'll post again when I get a chance to try it.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

• 1 year later...

@Wedgie

Didn't want to take over MPR's thread. 

Mine is weird as I have gaps in the history, it might stem from using a couple of different devices, but there seems to be no consistency to it. 

Also how do you chip on WGT?? I hit one in the bunker the other day, it was under the lip, but after 9 attempts of getting it out I gave up. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

49 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

@Wedgie

Didn't want to take over MPR's thread. 

Mine is weird as I have gaps in the history, it might stem from using a couple of different devices, but there seems to be no consistency to it. 

Also how do you chip on WGT?? I hit one in the bunker the other day, it was under the lip, but after 9 attempts of getting it out I gave up. 

I chip very softly because of the rollout.  When I get on the lip of a bunker I basically have to aim backwards to get out.  It can really ruin a good round.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

On 3/27/2019 at 5:33 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

I haven't tried mine outside yet, the ground still being covered with snow.

But from what I've read, the SkyTrak often struggles in direct sunlight. Some kind of shade is supposed to help. I'll post again when I get a chance to try it.

Yesterday I set mine up in the back yard - different angle to the sun and the performance was awful - so yes, in my experience direct sunlight is not good  - I'm guessing the sunlight adversely impacts the video collection performance - lots of no-reads and some crazy mis-reads - I hit one PW 342 yards - go figure 🙂

Generally the Skytrak has been awesome PROVIDED it has a stable Wifi Connection - it wasn't terribly reliable for me at use in the Golf Dome - had to use my iPhone hotspot feature - maybe if the dome gave out WiFi access it would be better but my experience on public Wifi leaves much to be desired, so who knows.