TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why are we obsessed with controversy and drama?

JBones

Why can't we just be celebrating DJs win after a layoff?  He is a new dad and has been in contention in every tourney since coming back from his layoff, yet the media still shoves it down our throat that he MAY have been suspended for drug violations.  Why are questions still lingering..........because you, the media, keep throwing it in our face.  Is anyone else tired of this?  I'm all for some fun controversy, but this media driven BS is out of control.

I'm tired of this on all fronts in every sport and frankly - every aspect of life. I've seen one episode of "The Housewives of _____________" and basically lost the last shred of hope for humanity I had. That was a sad day.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I understand the media's rationale.  Controversy sells, same reason everyone slows down by a car wreck.

I don't like it though.  Maybe the guy screwed up, maybe he didn't.  Either way he's made some life changes for the better and is playing great golf.  Let that be the story.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The Media. Who is the "Media?" Who controls most of the "media". Hmm? I mean who are these people by and large? Care to take a guess? Where did most of them grow up and go to school? Guess? What's their ideology for the most part? Take a stab at it.  Do you get your "news" from the so called mainstream media? You do? Which ones? For instance, who owns the Golf Channel? Care to take a guess? Who do these "media type" people hang around with? Where do they mostly live? Nebraska? Alabama? Texas? Wyoming? LOL. Not on your life. That's where hicks live. DJ should tell them all to go F themselves. Neh... that's too easy. And exactly what they want.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I get tired of it as well, however, when you are a public figure, or a sports role model, you are held to a higher standard, whether you want it or not, there are many questions as to what happened with DJ, I think people want and deserve the truth about what was going on, no one ever leaves baseball for 6 months without everyone knowing why, and they certainly don't just return like nothing happened, and expect everyone to move on and get over it, if you want me to follow and support you, I need to know what happened. If Lu want my kids to follow and look up to you, I need to know, the kids need to know.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Part of it is the secrecy that DJ has chosen to have.  If he would just come out and say why he took a leave and own up to it, this would go away.

However, when he just said that he took some time off to deal with some problems he was having, everyone is free to speculate and dream up whatever they want, so the talk lingers.

Personally, Im happy that DJ is back and doing well and dont really care why he took time off but Im not most people.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I have the answer to JBones question but this is not the appropriate place for it.  It's not the popular answer regardless but I firmly believe it's the correct one.

On to the media - One of my longest standing friend's wife is the CEO of a major news outlet.  Prior to this little gig she worked in a variety of administrative capacities for ABC/Fox/ABC/CNN/ABC.  ABC for example is owned by Disney (as is ESPN).  I know that NBC owns the Golf Channel but am not as up to date as to whom the owner of NBC might be.  (Perhaps they still own themselves.)  Regardless the Disney connection to ABC is all you need to read - it's not about the news it's about entertainment.  Controversy sells (see my day job if you want to know why) so controversy will be created plus there is a sense among many reporters that their job is to question and probe until they find a scoop.

Regardless, anytime you get frustrated with a news station realize that it is the entertainment business.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

..... plus there is a sense among many reporters that their job is to question and probe until they find a scoop.

Regardless, anytime you get frustrated with a news station realize that it is the entertainment business.

I don't want to get off in the weeds which would lead me to politics. This is not the place thank goodness. Journalism today if you can call it that is a joke. I do disagree with the Rev somewhat in that "reporters" don't question or probe. We all know what's going on in this country and around the world. (that is unless you only get your news from the so called main stream outlets) Reporters don't question or probe much at all. That is unless it's a situation like DJ's perhaps. Most of the time reporters/journo's swallow what they are being told whole cloth and move on. But like in this situation if they sniff some trash like sex or drugs etc... they want answers. Like that really makes a difference in the big picture. And on top of it all these same "reporters" many times are found to be nothing more than hypocrites. You know.... "do as I say not as I do."

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

I'm not a blame the media guy, but "news" has changed ever since the FCC lifted the "Fairness Doctrine"in the 80's.  Before then news and public affairs weren't expected to be money-makers at either the network or local level.  They were things you had to do to keep your broadcast license.  One the Fairness Doctrine was lifted, every hour of air time because potential revenue producers and news and public affairs now needed to be profitable. Thus began "infotainment."  

And out of that ESPN proved an all-sports network could make truckloads of money, and CNN proved an all-news channel could make truckloads of money.  And nothing pulls in viewers like a good controversy. 

And if there's one thing advertisers love, it's viewers.  And since news and public affairs need advertisers to make money...well, you can see where this is going. 

Heck, even here the most read threads are the ones that get controversial, even contentious.  Start a thread titled "Tiger's Philandering Ruined His Game" and you get a thousand views.  Not sure that's the media's "fault" more than it is a reflection of how this whole chicken-egg thing has evolved.  Does the media give us what we want, or do we want what the media gives us? 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm sorry PlaidJacket I should have written, "Sports Reporters."  Regular reporters only probe if its in the best financial interest of their network.  Thus far controversy of any type in sports is a proven winner - financially.

I know tons about the media business because of Kate and also a close friendship with a sportswriter who is a Heisman voter and a Pulitzer prize winner.

There may well be a political bias in the press but in the end the true bias is a financial one - that's a fact.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I argue that getting rid of the "Fairness Doctrine" was a great move. (I'm trying really hard to not get political here) For one the Gov. doesn't need to be in the business of deciding what "we" should know, read, hear. If I don't want to hear or read opposing viewpoints then I will read or listen to one side or the other. My choice. Let's not even go down the "Fair" road. In fact the word fair belongs in the same heap as the word "Free". Should the Fairness Doctrine apply to MYGolfSpy? Should MGS be forced to cover soccer? Is it "fair" that MGS is only devoted to Golf?

Just stop paying the media any attention. It's mostly pharma ads now. LOL!

DJ took things they didn't control or profit from. They (media and above) will punish him for it.

Guy is as shady/intersting as it gets on tour these days. Its the tour's own indictment in a way as well. Ask Tiger.

They have nothing to sell but a couple dramatic player tales. Most of their players are milktoast.

And controversy works swell for the NFL. Everyone is taking a page from their playbook.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I argue that getting rid of the "Fairness Doctrine" was a great move. (I'm trying really hard to not get political here) For one the Gov. doesn't need to be in the business of deciding what "we" should know, read, hear. If I don't want to hear or read opposing viewpoints then I will read or listen to one side or the other. My choice. Let's not even go down the "Fair" road. In fact the word fair belongs in the same heap as the word "Free". Should the Fairness Doctrine apply to MYGolfSpy? Should MGS be forced to cover soccer? Is it "fair" that MGS is only devoted to Golf?

Not the same thing.  

The Fairness Doctrine only applied to media outlets with FCC airwaves and licenses - basically TV and radio stations.  And it required that equal time be given to opposing viewpoints.  Newspapers weren't covered under the Fairness Doctrine - they've always had their editorial pages and particular slants.  Anyone with enough money could start a newspaper and print whatever they wanted - it's been that way forever.  

Don't believe the Fairness Doctrine was ever intended to tell us what we should know, read or hear. - in fact, I believe its original intent was exactly the opposite. It only required broadcast outlets to offer an opportunity to deliver opposing viewpoints on controversial issues -- both sides of the story, if you will. I don't want to get political either - people can choose to watch or read whatever the hell they want, doesn't matter to me.  The point is that ever since news and public affairs on broadcast airwaves were no longer bound by the fairness doctrine, the news business started to evolve - and CNN and others had a lot to do with this evolution - and as I said earlier, this has led us to news as "infotainment." If it bleeds, it leads...

From Wikipedia - an unchallengeable information source if ever there was one ;-)

The Fairness Doctrine was a policy of the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC), introduced in 1949, that required the holders of broadcast licenses to both present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that was, in the Commission's view, honest, equitable and balanced. The FCC eliminated the Doctrine in 1987, and in August 2011 the FCC formally removed the language that implemented the Doctrine.[1]

The Fairness Doctrine had two basic elements: It required broadcasters to devote some of their airtime to discussing controversial matters of public interest, and to air contrasting views regarding those matters. Stations were given wide latitude as to how to provide contrasting views: It could be done through news segments, public affairs shows, or editorials. The doctrine did not require equal time for opposing views but required that contrasting viewpoints be presented.[2]

The main agenda for the doctrine was to ensure that viewers were exposed to a diversity of viewpoints. In 1969 the United States Supreme Court upheld the FCC's general right to enforce the Fairness Doctrine where channels were limited. But the courts did not rule that the FCC was obliged to do so.[3] The courts reasoned that the scarcity of the broadcast spectrum, which limited the opportunity for access to the airwaves, created a need for the Doctrine. However, the proliferation of cable television, multiple channels within cable, public-access channels, and the Internet have eroded this argument, since there are plenty of places for ordinary individuals to make public comments on controversial issues at low or no cost at all.

The Fairness Doctrine should not be confused with the Equal Time rule. The Fairness Doctrine deals with discussion of controversial issues, while the Equal Time rule deals only with political candidates.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The founding fathers warned of corporations and political parties and the huge caveats therein.

You have giant corporations that own everything and two political "choices." Welcome to their nightmare.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

You also need to understand how to change the channel.  You are in control.  You can choose to watch the biased Media or not.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I've said my 2 centavos and I'll leave it there. Let's talk golf. :)

You also need to understand how to change the channel.  You are in control.  You can choose to watch the biased Media or not.

Which is why I have chosen not to comment on this type of "news".  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived