What Have You Bought Lately? (CHA - Club Ho's Anonymous)

hckymeyer

2 hours ago, ILMgolfnut said:

Codechaos 25, I believe. Nice! 

Dropped by Dick's last night for a few minutes. Somehow with all the hullabaloo about the Ai Smoke drivers I was not aware of the Max Fast version. Must resist... Or if not, find it used; a quick Google found one already on sale at Callaway Pre-Owned at a nice price.

The older 22 model actually, but I couldn't resist the price for $60. 

Callaway pre-owned is a dangerous site to browse. 

Driver: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 6S (Testing in progress)
3 & 5 Woods: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 7S (Testing in progress)
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: PXG Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Titleist GT Long Game Testing

8 minutes ago, RichL85 said:

The older 22 model actually, but I couldn't resist the price for $60. 

Callaway pre-owned is a dangerous site to browse. 

Understood. I wish I'd found a sale on my 22s. I paid the full $150. Much prefer those to the FootJoys I've bought since then though.

As for the Callaways, I think I can resist the temptation and instead will reshaft my current Mizuno gamer, possibly with Newton since I can exchange for different dot if the first one isn't working.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024. Final review here: FFG review

2 hours ago, 03trdblack said:

Incoming

Sole.jpg.cfbc140cd0db6f77f191a99c3cdb13f6.jpg

Face.jpg.51076d1840dd1cb39a28eed4bb1b5986.jpg

Crown.jpg.da70ab0aa5f594f2162b5f07bd670d6b.jpg

Shaft.jpg.199845f72b6092861d991600aa7a8ee3.jpg

Don't think I've ever seen that one before, and looking at the price tag at their website, I understand why. Nice looking club though. Which model is that? (I also see at their website that they offer nonconforming drivers with COR above the legal limit.)

Just now, ILMgolfnut said:

Don't think I've ever seen that one before, and looking at the price tag at their website, I understand why. Nice looking club though. Which model is that? (I also see at their website that they offer nonconforming drivers with COR above the legal limit.)

It's the 2020 Ryoma Maxima Type V at 9.5 w/ the Graphite Design Tour AD PT-6 shaft.  Other than being slightly closed at address, Ryoma drivers are really solid but as you mentioned, expensive.  I usually have to wait a few years to find used versions to get one that's affordable.

My bag is a revolving door!

16 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

as you mentioned, expensive. 

The mere fact that they have Graphite Design shafts tells you it ain't gonna be cheap.

I'm kinda struck that they blatantly advertise nonconforming drivers. Are there really people who thumb their nose at the rulebook that much to pay a grand or so for a club to cheat?

28 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

It's more of a social/status event and is expensive. 

I remember reading in Michael Bamberger's To The Linksland in which he talks to a Japanese golfer in St. Andrews about their reputation for slow play. The Japanese guy said it was fully deserved. The people in Japan come to St. Andrews (or did at that time) for affordable golf, because golf in Japan was too expensive, and they weren't up to speed on pace of play and things like that. If it's still more affordable for them with Old Course tee times costing $420 in high season, I feel for them. He said most golfers in Japan have to settle for range time. If you're paying a grand to bash range rocks, I guess I can understand that, and it doesn't matter if your driver conforms.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

58 minutes ago, ILMgolfnut said:

I remember reading in Michael Bamberger's To The Linksland in which he talks to a Japanese golfer in St. Andrews about their reputation for slow play. The Japanese guy said it was fully deserved. The people in Japan come to St. Andrews (or did at that time) for affordable golf, because golf in Japan was too expensive, and they weren't up to speed on pace of play and things like that. If it's still more affordable for them with Old Course tee times costing $420 in high season, I feel for them. He said most golfers in Japan have to settle for range time. If you're paying a grand to bash range rocks, I guess I can understand that, and it doesn't matter if your driver conforms.

Definitely true about golf prices in Japan. I didn't golf back at the time, but when I visited my father in Japan for a month on the air force base, he would tell me that local guys would try to make friends with the guys that had access to the base. The golf course on the base was priced more like an American course, so it was significantly cheaper than the courses off the base. Many people made it a habit of making friends with guys that would basically pay for their round and some gifts in exchange for getting access to the course. Even paying for two rounds and gifts was cheaper than a normal round off the base. 

This was a long time ago, but golf in Japan has always been expensive from what I know, and most rounds of golf are the event of the day. It's not a society that sneaks in a quick 9 or 18 before or after work. It's basically the entire day. Especially when it is done for business. Full lunch between the 9s, sometimes massage after the round. The works. 

Edited by RichL85

Driver: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 6S (Testing in progress)
3 & 5 Woods: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 7S (Testing in progress)
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: PXG Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Titleist GT Long Game Testing

6 hours ago, MountainManJeff said:

Most recent purchase was my 5' x 5' Motivo golf mat.  This was the final piece of my super cheap indoor golf simulator (but now I get to practice all winter long - focusing on my wrist flection and working on my dispersion 😁).  I'm super stoked about that.  This is paired with my Garmin Approach R10....  Truly, not a fancy setup... but the total simulator for $350 (new launch monitor (from work with some points), net (super cheap off Marketplace) and the mat (OEM)), I'm set.

Excellent!  Great job on a budget!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

2 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

So with a bit of haggling with the lady boss, I convinced her this was a necessary purchase...

The MGS Driver cover has been procured!

SWMBO is having a bad time tonight so I’ll see how it goes tomorrow.  
The head covers look great 👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

8 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Sorry to hear.  Prayers bud

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

57 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Hope she gets to feeling better quickly.

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

On 9/2/2024 at 3:24 PM, Gravenor said:

What are your initial thoughts on the PuttOut AirBreak? Been looking at getting one for sometime but haven't taken the leap yet. Looks great, enjoy! 🔥

I'm gonna say that it's solid so far, but definitely some pros and cons. I have an 18ft Birdieball green set up along the back wall of my basement at all times, so that's a good comparison, but it also influences what I think about the AirBreak. 

Actually setting the break is awesome - really easy to just give it some pumps on a few of the bags, and it's a completely different putt. I like that way better than Birdieball's "stuff some foam strips under the green" system. It's hard to read the putt , but cool to hit something that's not straight and also kinda calculated. You can make it uphill or downhill too, which is really cool. 

The length is both a positive and negative. You max out at 6.5-7 feet, but at the same time, that's a good practice length, and it allows out to fit in smaller spaces. 

Negative: because of the airbags, it's very elevated. You need to stand on a platform to make it useful, and that platform seems fairly large (platform comes with it). Moving it is easy, but annoying (like if you want to hit 4 footers, need to move it a few feet). With Birdieball, I just stand right on it and hit anything from a tap in to a 16 footer.

Also negative: the storage footprint. if I rolled up and stored the 18ft Birdieball, it would probably take up about half the space of the ~7ft AirBreak. The reason is the multiple platforms (main one folds up, but still large; standing platform is just... there), plus the mat that lays on top. We have the space, so no big deal (although I haven't actually decided where to stash it yet...). This gives an idea of how much space it takes (the three components stacked on top of each other, not including the risers for the platform):

PXL_20240913_034119418.jpg.06b96efb182fef12faee3443de31b8f6.jpg

So, in short, seems like a great practice tool, but needs more space than you might think. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 8* w/Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6X or Terra Forza Yellow+ (MGS Test in Progress!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

29 minutes ago, ChiefMikeOfficer said:

I'm gonna say that it's solid so far, but definitely some pros and cons. I have an 18ft Birdieball green set up along the back wall of my basement at all times, so that's a good comparison, but it also influences what I think about the AirBreak. 

Actually setting the break is awesome - really easy to just give it some pumps on a few of the bags, and it's a completely different putt. I like that way better than Birdieball's "stuff some foam strips under the green" system. It's hard to read the putt , but cool to hit something that's not straight and also kinda calculated. You can make it uphill or downhill too, which is really cool. 

The length is both a positive and negative. You max out at 6.5-7 feet, but at the same time, that's a good practice length, and it allows out to fit in smaller spaces. 

Negative: because of the airbags, it's very elevated. You need to stand on a platform to make it useful, and that platform seems fairly large (platform comes with it). Moving it is easy, but annoying (like if you want to hit 4 footers, need to move it a few feet). With Birdieball, I just stand right on it and hit anything from a tap in to a 16 footer.

Also negative: the storage footprint. if I rolled up and stored the 18ft Birdieball, it would probably take up about half the space of the ~7ft AirBreak. The reason is the multiple platforms (main one folds up, but still large; standing platform is just... there), plus the mat that lays on top. We have the space, so no big deal (although I haven't actually decided where to stash it yet...). This gives an idea of how much space it takes (the three components stacked on top of each other, not including the risers for the platform):

PXL_20240913_034119418.jpg.06b96efb182fef12faee3443de31b8f6.jpg

So, in short, seems like a great practice tool, but needs more space than you might think. 

Thanks for the insight.  I too was curious about how it would be to try and read the putts. 

my personal opinion, for the shorter things… keep the practice simple and drain the putt. If anything, use something like the Green Aid Pro (it sits inside of the cup…making the hole smaller and improving aim). 

MountainManJeff

I’m on a mission to consistently shoot in the 70’s. 
WITB

Nothing fancy. 
An off-the-shelf bag-in-a-box set of Top Flight clubs from Dicks 

:odyssey-small: Odyssey Rosie EXO mallet outter

I use a pretty cheap TourTrek push cart

i have a Bushnell ion2 Golf watch

:titleist-small: I use Titleist Prov1 golf balls (I also like the :callaway-small: Callaway chrome soft triple track)

home golf simulator is a $50 net, a Garmin Approach R10, and a Motivo golf mat. 

I recently jumped on a Sub70 sale and got a 5 utility iron from their 699 Pro V2 line. I previously bought their 699 Pro (version 1) irons (6-pw) on closeout and have been thoroughly impressed. So I decided to commit to a somewhat matching 5 iron for the set. They are one of many "foam-filled" P790-ish irons out there now. I have been very pleased. I was afraid the irons would be rocket launchers, but they feel great and I have been able to hold greens and get good spin. I still need more time to test the new 5 iron, but so far so good. 

Sub70 overall has insane value in my opinion. 

Taylormade Sim driver

New Level 623 CBs

Tour edge exotics 3 wood

Rife 2 bar putter

On 9/8/2024 at 11:42 AM, cksurfdude said:

Oh and did buy something yesterday - 2 grips. I know I know very boring but now, for possibly the first time, I actually have the same matching grip (MCC+4 Mid) on every club (except the putter of course)!

Same - regripped last holdout about 2 weeks ago! Also with MCC+4s. My wife was making fun of me for being excited about it! Not boring!

D - Tour Edge E722, HZRDUS Black 70, 6.5

3W - Callaway Paradym, Tensei White 75, X Flex

Hybrid - Sub 70 949 Pro 19*, HZRDUS Black 90, 6.5

Utility - Srixon ZX 23*, DG X100

5-PW - Sub 70 659 CB, DG X100

52/56/60* - Mizuno T22/Sub 70 286/Sub 70 JB, DG X100

P - Odyssey Eleven, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball - Maxfli Tour

10 minutes ago, Jmglass said:

I recently jumped on a Sub70 sale and got a 5 utility iron from their 699 Pro V2 line. I previously bought their 699 Pro (version 1) irons (6-pw) on closeout and have been thoroughly impressed. So I decided to commit to a somewhat matching 5 iron for the set. They are one of many "foam-filled" P790-ish irons out there now. I have been very pleased. I was afraid the irons would be rocket launchers, but they feel great and I have been able to hold greens and get good spin. I still need more time to test the new 5 iron, but so far so good. 

Sub70 overall has insane value in my opinion. 

Insane value. Looking forward to their new driver this fall. 

D - Tour Edge E722, HZRDUS Black 70, 6.5

3W - Callaway Paradym, Tensei White 75, X Flex

Hybrid - Sub 70 949 Pro 19*, HZRDUS Black 90, 6.5

Utility - Srixon ZX 23*, DG X100

5-PW - Sub 70 659 CB, DG X100

52/56/60* - Mizuno T22/Sub 70 286/Sub 70 JB, DG X100

P - Odyssey Eleven, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball - Maxfli Tour

14 hours ago, Rob Person said:

So with a bit of haggling with the lady boss, I convinced her this was a necessary purchase...

The MGS Driver cover has been procured!

I was on the Google Meet when they were announced! Stunning designs, the whole company (CMC Designs) are doing wonders at the moment! 🤩🔥

nike200.png.457470e6ca5d47ee6e169491b267aa1b.png   Driver: Nike VR Pro Limited Edition | Diamana 'ahina 65g (9.5°, Stiff)

titleist200.png.e01ae7639090c209c93c9f2f7435d808.png   4 Wood: Titleist TS2 | Kuro Kage Black Seires 65g (16.5°, Stiff)

mizuno200.png.4605df8e24685074d10718ba6ac66080.png   Irons: Mizuno MP15 | True Temper DG S300 (4-PW, Stiff)

taylormade200.png.e6cb0a20f84873d1f59007172ed00680.png   Wedges: Taylormade Z-Spin | True Temper DG S300 (52°/9°B, 56°/12°B, 60°/10°B, Stiff)

nike200.png.457470e6ca5d47ee6e169491b267aa1b.png  Putter: Nike Method Milled Model 004 (35")

⭐ Currently Testing: the ShotScope Pro ZR, see my review here ⭐

On 9/11/2024 at 2:10 PM, 03trdblack said:

Incoming

Sole.jpg.cfbc140cd0db6f77f191a99c3cdb13f6.jpg

Face.jpg.51076d1840dd1cb39a28eed4bb1b5986.jpg

Crown.jpg.da70ab0aa5f594f2162b5f07bd670d6b.jpg

Shaft.jpg.199845f72b6092861d991600aa7a8ee3.jpg

Ryoma driver with a Graphite Design Tour-AD Shaft?! Wow... 🔥

nike200.png.457470e6ca5d47ee6e169491b267aa1b.png   Driver: Nike VR Pro Limited Edition | Diamana 'ahina 65g (9.5°, Stiff)

titleist200.png.e01ae7639090c209c93c9f2f7435d808.png   4 Wood: Titleist TS2 | Kuro Kage Black Seires 65g (16.5°, Stiff)

mizuno200.png.4605df8e24685074d10718ba6ac66080.png   Irons: Mizuno MP15 | True Temper DG S300 (4-PW, Stiff)

taylormade200.png.e6cb0a20f84873d1f59007172ed00680.png   Wedges: Taylormade Z-Spin | True Temper DG S300 (52°/9°B, 56°/12°B, 60°/10°B, Stiff)

nike200.png.457470e6ca5d47ee6e169491b267aa1b.png  Putter: Nike Method Milled Model 004 (35")

⭐ Currently Testing: the ShotScope Pro ZR, see my review here ⭐

These Callaway shorts. And a pair of CR2 batteries, you'll find out later.

Mens-7-Pro-Spin-Golf-Short-Bird-Of-Parad

Edited by MattF

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

19 hours ago, Rickp said:

Sorry...  Hate to see people in pain and uncomfortable....... Hope things get better 🤞

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

7 hours ago, Shankster said:

I bought a sleeve of these today, not knowing that my Hybrid was showing up.  Why?  Because it is the first time I have seen Mizuno balls in a pro shop.  I will be reviewing these too.

D6A3F80D-A3FC-49D8-A505-F392931AFC05.jpeg

They're actually very good balls. If I didn't love the Chrome Tour X so much I'd be playing the RB Tour X.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

Ordered the Cameron Baby T grip from his site when they recently became available for my 2012 Newport Notchback and bought the Golf Pride Pro Only Green for my Phantom 5.

After installation of both today, looking to using the Phantom during tomorrows round.

PS: Baby T was almost  3X's the price of the Golf Pride, but even at $41.00 for the grip, a lot better than the prices on the big auction site, and I know it is not a counterfeit.

Baby t.jpgGPPro.jpg.e7a19786b14cd552d62e03ebda0c6ccc.jpg

Edited by rkj427

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist GT2 8 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Red & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :Nippon: Modus 105

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM9 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 5 

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to Motocaddy M7 w/Remote Trolley & Bag Review