hckymeyer

What have you bought lately? (CHA - Club Ho's Anonymous)

Star Sidewinder golf grips

So in a recent order from the Golfworks I purchased a UST driver shaft that I previously posted here. With that order I also picked up a Star Sidewinder grip to try out. It looked similar to my Pure Pro grip and got strong reviews and were compared to the Pure Pro's in one review. I particularly liked the grip because it's "unbranded". As a perpetual tinkerer, I'm always adjusting the loft in my driver between 8.5*, 9*, and 10* (as if that makes any difference in my game).. but I digress.. so with there not being a brand name printed on the grip, it doesn't change the visual whenever I switch lofts. 

So after a good month of playing the grip, I couldn't be happier. It performs and feels just like my Pure pro's. I've been wanting to get matching grips for my XW-1 wedges to match my blue Pure Pro's but they've stopped selling them at most of the retail stores in my area. So I was about to place an order with Golfworks for more of these Star's in the blue but before I did.. and as I do.. I looked up Star grip to see where they were located as the grips shows "made in USA".. well wouldn't you know it, the factory is 10 min from my house! actually in my city Chandler, AZ. So I called them yesterday, talked to a very friendly guy named John.. who could be the owner.. but I never asked to find out.He informed me that their business hours just weren't conducive to my work schedule so that was kind of a bummer.. Well John asked what time I go into work.. 5:30 a.m.. then he responds.. "I'm here at 5 so just swing by on your way to work".. So this morning I just headed out a few minutes early and stopped by the Star factory. John was there waiting for me. He had 4 grips packaged up and ready to go. 3 blue for my wedges and 1 black for my other driver shaft. $23 out the door! $5 + tax per grip is cheaper than I paid through Golfworks and I'm just a Joe Shmoe consumer..

Additionally, John could sense that I was a super golf dork  from my endless questions that most people don't ask.. he took me on a quick tour of the factory (it's still dark out).. Another interesting fact that I learned from John is that Star grips is the predecessor of Pure. Some guys left Star with what they perceived to be the correct formula and started Pure a few years back and moved to the other side of town (Mesa, AZ). He explained that most of their clientele is in Europe and Asia.. Areas where golf equipment is sold at a super-premium price i.e. Korea for upwards of $15 per grip. Similar to the Pure grips, the compound in the Star grips is made to last a very long time without breaking down or absorbing moisture causing the grips to age and crack. Additionally he said that their practice regimens are much different than in the US. Because of the scarcity of golf courses and very high round expenses, playing is limited mostly to practice.. If your sport is golf.. practice is 6-7 days/week for 2-3 hours/day.. so when paying such high prices for something that takes so much punishment, their concept works very well. (so far I'm on my 3rd year with my Pure's and they're in perfect condition!) 

0412190647_HDR.thumb.jpg.74d66dceb2357ba44de9a656661c1f45.jpg0412190646a.thumb.jpg.68488bdcc34b37194e4e8da750b67dcb.jpg

• Like 5

Not 100% golf related but I do wear my boots to the club. My wife asked me tonight if I was planing to wear my boots to the Clint Black concert tomorrow and I said yes. She finally told me they need to go and I have to get a new pair. Tomorrow morning I am off to Boot Barn to shop for new boots for me and a pair for my daughter. Hope they have ostrich or gator boots.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

New practice net..inCollage_20190412_211340470.jpeg

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

Ping G410 LST 14.5 3 wood w/ Ping Tour 75x 

😮 full switch from the TS line!? Guessing your demo was a success?

• Like 1

IMG_2281.thumb.JPG.1dff2ce77926f39162e5845814764019.JPG

Tiger Emoji Imperial hat from CJ Customs...

That hat is money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Well... just ordered a Callaway Rogue 3W from Amazon through CPO, couldn’t pass up the 25% off they’re running.

Only a couple more clubs to complete my bag and I think I’ll be done buying equipment for a little while...

• Like 5

ShotScope!

Only two rounds with it so far, and while it's not perfect it's pretty good and they seem to be receptive to feedback and to evolving the product.

Looking forward to actually tracking stats - especially approaches from 150 and in.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Skytrak!!!

Partly influenced by @GolfSpy MPR and his very positive experience as told in his 'Single Digit Project" quest; I'm also looking to .. among many other things .. sharpen my short game and work on wedge distances. 

Also splurged on a Real Feel mat to go with it.

Dang, someone just splurged! Congrats on your purchases

• Like 3

7 hours ago, yungkory said:

Dang, someone just splurged! Congrats on your purchases

You're not wrong! I expect to see a different handicap other than Me! at the end of the year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Skytrak!!!
Partly influenced by [mention=58668]GolfSpy MPR[/mention] and his very positive experience as told in his 'Single Digit Project" quest; I'm also looking to .. among many other things .. sharpen my short game and work on wedge distances. 
Also splurged on a Real Feel mat to go with it.

You’ll love it. I’ve noticed a huge improvement in my short game after spending time on my skytrak.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Get em while they're hot!. Or at least before Titleist files another suit..

Picked up a 3 pack for $15 and they appear to be very similar to to the "player's" glove by Titleist. If anybody's familiar with them please share your experience. For the price, I couldn't not pick em up.

Will be taken one for a spin on Saturday.

0417192045.thumb.jpg.ab485958f99528785f1b92e0b5340f96.jpg

Edited by azstu324
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

Get em while they're hot!. Or at least before Titleist files another suit..

Picked up a 3 pack for $15 and they appear to be very similar to to the "player's" glove by Titleist. If anybody's familiar with them please share your experience. For the price, I couldn't not pick em up.

Will be taken one for a spin on Saturday.

0417192045.thumb.jpg.ab485958f99528785f1b92e0b5340f96.jpg

A few of us have posted our thoughts on them in the K Sig Glove thread. Be sure to post yours after this weekend!

• Like 1

Arranged my first lessons ever and start this afternoon! Pretty excited!
Technically it was with a GG gift card I got from my parents a few years ago for lessons and finally getting to it.

It will be a miracle if I leave the store without some new gear... so the lessons might lead to another posting.

• Like 3

A few of us have posted our thoughts on them in the K Sig Glove thread. Be sure to post yours after this weekend!

Thanks for the direction! I'll definitely be sure and post there after using it Saturday.

• Like 2

Bought a Putt Out practice putting mat and Put Out Pressure Putting Device so that I could continue to practice putting at home during total knee replacement recovery.

Image result for puttoutImage result for puttout

• Like 5
  • Love 1