hckymeyer

What have you bought lately? (CHA - Club Ho's Anonymous)

Our Sponsors

So I guess I just bought a set of Cobra S9 irons, 4-PW with graphite shafts, for $30 shipped.

My ability to golf will be greatly narrowed in a few weeks, I'll be stuck with range sessions and a few 9 hole rounds on Sundays until next season. So I figured I'd wait until the offseason when prices start to drop as new lines are announced to pick up a new set. 

Or who knows, maybe these irons will be perfect for me. Stranger things have happened...

• Like 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

2 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

So I guess I just bought a set of Cobra S9 irons, 4-PW with graphite shafts, for $30 shipped.

My ability to golf will be greatly narrowed in a few weeks, I'll be stuck with range sessions and a few 9 hole rounds on Sundays until next season. So I figured I'd wait until the offseason when prices start to drop as new lines are announced to pick up a new set. 

Or who knows, maybe these irons will be perfect for me. Stranger things have happened...

THIRTY ! dollars ???? 

StrokerAce
:tour-edge: EXS 220 HZRDUS Smoke
:cobra-small:  King F7 3w Fujikara 
:callaway-small:  Apex 20 Catalyst 6.0
:callaway-small:  Apex 23 Catalyst 6.0
--------------------------
:srixon-small: Z785 KBS CTaper lite
:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 54/58 
:ping-small: Sigma G Kinloch C 
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro rangefinder
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130 cart bag
Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

THIRTY ! dollars ???? 

Yep. Of course with my luck, I'll get one club and they'll say "whoops my bad meant it was only a single iron, don't know how it said 4-PW instead in both the title and description". 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, russtopherb said:

Yep. Of course with my luck, I'll get one club and they'll say "whoops my bad meant it was only a single iron, don't know how it said 4-PW instead in both the title and description". 

That's awesome!  I hope it works for you.... that would be a fantastic deal.

I remember trying the S9 a number of years ago and I loved em.

StrokerAce
:tour-edge: EXS 220 HZRDUS Smoke
:cobra-small:  King F7 3w Fujikara 
:callaway-small:  Apex 20 Catalyst 6.0
:callaway-small:  Apex 23 Catalyst 6.0
:srixon-small: Z785 KBS CTaper lite
:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 54/58 
:ping-small: Sigma G Kinloch C 
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro rangefinder
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130 cart bag
Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

17 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

That's awesome!  I hope it works for you.... that would be a fantastic deal.

I remember trying the S9 a number of years ago and I loved em.

UPDATE: It was only 1 club. The seller already apologized and refunded. It was WAY too good to be true LOL!

Back to paralysis by analysis when looking at clubs... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

I'm in the same boat.  Went out yesterday and noticed that the soles were separating in the middle of my black pair of nike's.  Looks like the cause is from a combination of heat failure from leaving them in the car trunk all summer and age. 

MDGolfHacker

That may be a thing with Nike golf shoes. I had a pair do the same thing but I took some glue called E-6000 you buy at Wally World and put them back together. You may also be on to something from leaving them in the car trunk. 

• Like 1

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

6 hours ago, russtopherb said:

UPDATE: It was only 1 club. The seller already apologized and refunded. It was WAY too good to be true LOL!

Back to paralysis by analysis when looking at clubs... 

What are you looking for? And what's the budget? 

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 11.3 (Last Updated Sept. 20, 2020)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
19° Driving Iron: :tour-edge: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Tungsten, UST Recoil 670 F4, Tour Edge/Lamkin R.E.L.
5-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

14 minutes ago, edingc said:

What are you looking for? And what's the budget? 

SGI irons with R flex graphites. Prefer to stick around $250, no problem going a few generations old. Been eyeing D200s again, Callaway XR, Mizuno JPX EZ, Adams XTD, etc. Even have an eye on a few Diablo Edge sets that come in well under $200, and were really good irons for me for a few seasons. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

SGI irons with R flex graphites. Prefer to stick around $250, no problem going a few generations old. Been eyeing D200s again, Callaway XR, Mizuno JPX EZ, Adams XTD, etc. Even have an eye on a few Diablo Edge sets that come in well under $200, and were really good irons for me for a few seasons. 

I was going to suggest the Wilsons. Very underrated brand.

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
19° Driving Iron: :tour-edge: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Tungsten, UST Recoil 670 F4, Tour Edge/Lamkin R.E.L.
5-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

1 minute ago, edingc said:

I was going to suggest the Wilsons. Very underrated brand.

Love 'em. I've had Di11, D100, D200, C300, and D300. I'm a certified Wilson homer. My son currently has my old D200 set with Elements Chrome shafts, which is an excellent combo. 

• Like 2

Ponder mode is over. Picked up some Callaway XR irons, 5-PW with Project X 5.5 shafts. They're going to need to be re-gripped but I think I have enough Lamkin UTx midsized left in my closet stash that I should be OK. 

• Like 7

Golfing season here is winding down quickly, which is a major bummer.

They may be too much club for my skills, but I ordered the 6/9 Iron demo set of Sub 70's 639 forged cavity backs. Currently playing the Wilson C300s, I know they are going to be quite the shock to my eyes. 

They are one degree weaker in loft and 1/2" shorter than the C300s (loft jacking + longer club = MOAR distance), so it won't be an apples-to-apples comparison of course.

Going to be paying attention to a few things:

1. Would playing a less forgiving iron perhaps help my ball striking in the long run? I haven't had the need to really "improve" my ball striking this year, due in large part to my home course (most holes are driver/wedge) and because the C300s still put the ball out there regardless of where on the face you make contact.
  2. Feel of a one-piece forged club vs. cast.
  3. Interested in seeing the flight from and feeling the KBS Tours. The Tour 90s are similar profile but I really have never hit anything that was heavier. I suspect a heavier shaft may suit my swing better and help me keep a better tempo.

I'm planning on going to get an iron fitting later this year to hit a bunch of different shafts. I've been eyeing some of the different Maltby heads, but I'm right now stuck between wanting to build one of their bigger SGIs (PTMs or TS-2s) or the TE Forged/DBM Forged. Just need to know what shafts cooperate with me the best.

Of course, If I absolutely love the Sub 70s maybe I'll just wait to head over to their HQ in Sycamore, Illinois, sometime this winter. Not a long drive from here. If the 699 demos come back into stock before too long, I may jump on them, too. Fun chance for only $20.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, edingc said:

Going to be paying attention to a few things:

1. Would playing a less forgiving iron perhaps help my ball striking in the long run? I haven't had the need to really "improve" my ball striking this year, due in large part to my home course (most holes are driver/wedge) and because the C300s still put the ball out there regardless of where on the face you make contact.

... Not singling you out but I have always hated this idea. As a QB, throwing to a small target did not increase my accuracy when throwing to receivers when it counted. Throwing to receivers made me more accurate when throwing to receivers. I hear players that tout MB's helping them become better ball strikers because they get lazy or swing too hard with more forgiving irons. Those are justifications for poor mental discipline or why they should play MB's. Every player should use the club that gives them their best chance to hit good golf shots. If that is G410's then learn to hit your G410's to the best of your ability. Or in your case C300's. That said, nothing wrong with experimenting and trying new irons. Maybe a less forgiving iron suits your swing better or simply gives you more confidence. But they won't help you hit your C300's any better. 

• Like 8

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Atmos TS Blue 6s
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 7s
Utility:   TaylorMade UDi 18*  ... HZRDUS Black 6.0 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

7 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Not singling you out but I have always hated this idea. As a QB, throwing to a small target did not increase my accuracy when throwing to receivers when it counted. Throwing to receivers made me more accurate when throwing to receivers. I hear players that tout MB's helping them become better ball strikers because they get lazy or swing too hard with more forgiving irons. Those are justifications for poor mental discipline or why they should play MB's. Every player should use the club that gives them their best chance to hit good golf shots. If that is G410's then learn to hit your G410's to the best of your ability. Or in your case C300's. That said, nothing wrong with experimenting and trying new irons. Maybe a less forgiving iron suits your swing better or simply gives you more confidence. But they won't help you hit your C300's any better. 

Oh, sure, and no offense taken. I'm reading what I originally wrote now, and I don't care for the way I presented it. It's not going to make me a better ball striker. That's for sure. I'm definitely a huge advocate for playing more forgiving irons than less forgiving. Why make the game harder?

I don't consider myself to be a great ball striker. I guess what I'm after is to see if perhaps I'm better than I think at ball striking (imposter syndrome), or if I really don't have the ability at this point to play a more compact club head.

I know from foot spray that I'm pretty consistent in my strike location, but it's not always in the center. Today, for example, I hit five straight 6 irons off the exact same spot on the toe. 

I like the C300s plenty, but I'm also wanting to switch to something that doesn't have any sort of cavity badging. I've been through enough grief with several warranty replacements for badges flying down range that I don't ever want to deal with them again. In the Sub 70 line, the 699s are probably the best option, for Maltbys the PTMs or TS-2s. 

And, as you touched on, it's a $20 experiment to try an iron I would otherwise never get to hit. Part of my enjoyment of golf is trying new things, playing new places, learning new things. I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 7

GD tour AD TSG Blue 65 X for my flash

Srixon Z585 4 & 5 C taper S tipped

Srixon Z785 6-AW C taper S tipped 

All 1 degree strong

Ping Glide Forged 56 & 60 KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S

And they threw in a hat! 🙄😂

Now the waiting game until they arrive.  Will post pics once I get my hands on them.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

On 8/29/2019 at 1:33 PM, edingc said:

Oh, sure, and no offense taken. I'm reading what I originally wrote now, and I don't care for the way I presented it. It's not going to make me a better ball striker. That's for sure. I'm definitely a huge advocate for playing more forgiving irons than less forgiving. Why make the game harder?

I don't consider myself to be a great ball striker. I guess what I'm after is to see if perhaps I'm better than I think at ball striking (imposter syndrome), or if I really don't have the ability at this point to play a more compact club head.

I know from foot spray that I'm pretty consistent in my strike location, but it's not always in the center. Today, for example, I hit five straight 6 irons off the exact same spot on the toe. 

I like the C300s plenty, but I'm also wanting to switch to something that doesn't have any sort of cavity badging. I've been through enough grief with several warranty replacements for badges flying down range that I don't ever want to deal with them again. In the Sub 70 line, the 699s are probably the best option, for Maltbys the PTMs or TS-2s. 

And, as you touched on, it's a $20 experiment to try an iron I would otherwise never get to hit. Part of my enjoyment of golf is trying new things, playing new places, learning new things. I'm looking forward to it.

I encourage you to try it, but be honest with yourself -- which you appear to be. I liked what @chisag said with the football analogy, golf is hard no need to make it harder! I was able to drop my handicap a little while gaming the 900 Tours, but I'm not consistent enough with them and I'm trading "down" to something more forgiving.

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

All 1 degree strong

Now the waiting game until they arrive.  Will post pics once I get my hands on them.

No fairways or hybrids? Where did you go again, Truespec? I WANT DETAILS PLEASE!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

54* CBX. Couldn't resist the price drop and holiday sales.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

All 1 degree strong

That's going to be a beast of a bag. I'll love to see your gapping once you get everything settled, and to get your opinion on the Hi-Revs. I assume you play mostly partial shots with those given your driver distance.

48 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I encourage you to try it, but be honest with yourself -- which you appear to be. I liked what @chisag said with the football analogy, golf is hard no need to make it harder! I was able to drop my handicap a little while gaming the 900 Tours, but I'm not consistent enough with them and I'm trading "down" to something more forgiving.

919 Hot Metal or Hot Metal Pros? Inquisitive minds what to know. 🤣

• Like 2

Had my fitter build me a 54 and 58 2019 PM grinds with $ Taper 120 shafts in black. I had a demo set from the shop out with me this afternoon while I was out playing with my son and loved them. Was not sure how the 54 would play but it was great on full swings and better than my MD4 sound the green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"