hckymeyer

What have you bought lately? (CHA - Club Ho's Anonymous)

Our Sponsors

25 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I have vintage Wilson’s, Hogan’s, Spalding’s, and Macgregor’s and while they are all great clubs I really like the Macgregor forgings.

This newest pickup is a set of 1960 Macgregor CF4000’s. The grind and shape is very similar to my 1992 Macgregor’s and they feel very similar too. Very cool black face coating which is ceramic, heated to 4000*, hence the name (ceramic face 4000 )CF4000.

Adjustments.JPGAdjustments.JPGAdjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL I have seen those before-----  Was reading through here and looking at some of the new putters folks had bought. Nice stuff and nothing wrong with that--- I have went back in time and started putting with a Bullseye. If that does not work I am going further back and putt with a Calamity Jane style like your H&B

• Like 1

LOL I have seen those before-----  Was reading through here and looking at some of the new putters folks had bought. Nice stuff and nothing wrong with that--- I have went back in time and started putting with a Bullseye. If that does not work I am going further back and putt with a Calamity Jane style like your H&B

I got a set of copper faces on the way too. Couldn’t pass them up. I am liking the Pro Pel 2 shaft.

• Like 1

I saw you switched to a bullseye. I have one here in the collection but never use it. I still use the H&B Mars 50 putter and also recently started playing a Fernquest & Johnson Tony Lema model putter.

7 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I got a set of copper faces on the way too. Couldn’t pass them up. I am liking the Pro Pel 2 shaft.

If you can generate decent swing speed the copper faces are the best of both worlds. The short irons will generate a lot of spin and will tap dance on the green. The long irons the ball comes off hard and fast. Actually I hit my 57 Diamondback copper faced 2 iron further than some of my 1 irons--- I had a remake set of Colorkroms and those long irons were as hot faced as a $2 pistol but with that set for some reason the short irons were hot faced too. I still have a original 54 M-85 PW and SW and I can still make them tap dance. In fact that PW is in with the set of 57s because I never found the original wedge with that set.

If you can generate decent swing speed the copper faces are the best of both worlds. The short irons will generate a lot of spin and will tap dance on the green. The long irons the ball comes off hard and fast. Actually I hit my 57 Diamondback copper faced 2 iron further than some of my 1 irons--- I had a remake set of Colorkroms and those long irons were as hot faced as a $2 pistol but with that set for some reason the short irons were hot faced too. I still have a original 54 M-85 PW and SW and I can still make them tap dance. In fact that PW is in with the set of 57s because I never found the original wedge with that set.

So you like the copper face over the ceramic? Interesting. I plan on giving them a bit of a head to head at the range once I get the coppers here.

I’ve got a set of M-75’s here too. They are much too flat for me at the moment so I can’t really give them a fair test. I’m not really loving the shaft feel on them though. Not the Colorkroms unfortunately.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, deejaid said:

So you like the copper face over the ceramic? Interesting. I plan on giving them a bit of a head to head at the range once I get the coppers here.

I’ve got a set of M-75’s here too. They are much too flat for me at the moment so I can’t really give them a fair test. I’m not really loving the shaft feel on them though. Not the Colorkroms unfortunately.

Actually no preference after all they are Macgregor blades LOL

10 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I play with a guy in our Wed night league that uses a bullseye.  He's not great with it but he isn't a horrible putter.   Of course he would play a putter like that as he's 71 and his swing is almost like a carbon copy of Sam Sneads move.  

• Like 2

Played a couple weeks ago and got caught in a random Hawaiian downpour. The kind where it's sunny, but dumping buckets on you for about 5 minutes. I had a light "rain" jacket that I keep in my golf bag for times like this, but I've never worn it in anything more than a light mist. I got soaked -- completely through to my polo underneath the jacket.
Picked up a Galway Bay half-sleeve jacket last week. It was too big, so I reached out to GB support and much to my surprise, the owner Terry responded to me in about 30 minutes. More impressive, it was like 6pm on the east coast already, but he still took the time to answer my e-mail. He asked for my address, and an exchange was sent to me a few days later. 
It's not one of the exciting pickups like a new club, but I felt like writing a short post to comment on how great Terry and Galway Bay treated me. Money well spent, and they've definitely gained a new customer. Before anyone asks, I didn't mention that I frequent MGS, or anything that might've led them to treat me better than the next person -- they're just that good! Nice to see when an OEM/Brand cares about their patrons.

Great, love hearing about outstanding customer service. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, yungkory said:

Played a couple weeks ago and got caught in a random Hawaiian downpour. The kind where it's sunny, but dumping buckets on you for about 5 minutes. I had a light "rain" jacket that I keep in my golf bag for times like this, but I've never worn it in anything more than a light mist. I got soaked -- completely through to my polo underneath the jacket.

Picked up a Galway Bay half-sleeve jacket last week. It was too big, so I reached out to GB support and much to my surprise, the owner Terry responded to me in about 30 minutes. More impressive, it was like 6pm on the east coast already, but he still took the time to answer my e-mail. He asked for my address, and an exchange was sent to me a few days later. 

It's not one of the exciting pickups like a new club, but I felt like writing a short post to comment on how great Terry and Galway Bay treated me. Money well spent, and they've definitely gained a new customer. Before anyone asks, I didn't mention that I frequent MGS, or anything that might've led them to treat me better than the next person -- they're just that good! Nice to see when an OEM/Brand cares about their patrons.

Having spoken to Terry a few times, his response to your email and issue doesn't surprise me.  He's a stand up guy who really believes in customer service. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, yungkory said:

By the way, I hope you don't mind, but I copied your post and sent it to him.   He said it made his day, that he loves seeing things like that.   Nicely done!

• Like 5

Played a round with my new/old set of butter knives. Not sure what drove me to this madness but I recently got an itch to get my hands on an older set of MB blades.

The general theory was to find something smaller in profile to practice with, to help with strike consistency.

Shot 2 over on the front 9 and was at par through 13 before it got too dark. Man what a fun set of clubs to play! Playing with them again tomorrow and can't wait!

2 - PW for $120 and couldn't be happier with the find.

The pics are showing my Maltby DBM for profile comparison.

1012191951.jpeg1012191951a.jpeg1012191950.jpeg1012191949.jpeg

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 5

Ping Sigma 2 ZB2 putter....
Love the feel off the face and really excited about the adjustable length.  I can't believe how important this is...I've tried 33, 34 and 35 inch putters and have never felt really comfortable with any of them.
I was fit into a Scotty Newport 3 and was able to compare that with this one and this beats the Scotty.. hands down.  Important thing is that the toe-hang is exactly the same.  I'm partial to the flow neck and that's why the ZB2 won over the Anser.

This is one of the more subtle and well thought out face groove patterns on the market and it does the job as well as creating the impression of a little worn patch in the center of the face where the grooves are deeper, which makes you like a better putter than you might otherwise be.

The really big difference with the Sigma 2 is something you can't really see and that is the mechanism under the grip that allows you to vary the length of the shaft from 32 to 26 inches in any amount you want.

zb2.jpg.0f196b99f16bc70122606f6091c7acb5.jpgzb2_2.jpg.4c6c63e2c811fa0a6bb0911a049fb5f3.jpg

I love the look of this putter...just never could get the mechanics to work. Hope it rolls well for you.
  • Like 1

Picked up a new shaft for my driver, ever since I bought a 3w I´ve felt that my driver shaft have been on the heavy side. Went to the local golf store and tried a few different drivers with different shafts/weights but felt that they were a bit to pricey and better to just get a new driver instead. But then I came across this beauty on Sweden's counterpart to Ebay for a steal. It is a Atmos tour spec 6s and so far it´s great. 

20191013_095441.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/4/2019 at 11:55 AM, THEZIPR23 said:

Thanks to your recommendation these are the only tees I use now. And that color is easy to find in the grass!

Asking both you and @MattF, did you start with a player's pack to determine what tee height you wanted? 

I was going to order another set of Evolve Epoch tees, I have maybe 10 left, as I like the rings on them for getting height roughly the same each time. But they do break eventually, and these look like they would give you the exact same height regardless of tee box condition. My course tends to have a few different mowing heights, some bare dirt, etc., throughout the year so getting exactly the same height is always a challenge for me.

Do you use a short one for irons or just go with whatever you find around on the ground?

2 minutes ago, edingc said:

Asking both you and @MattF, did you start with a player's pack to determine what tee height you wanted? 

I was going to order another set of Evolve Epoch tees, I have maybe 10 left, as I like the rings on them for getting height roughly the same each time. But they do break eventually, and these look like they would give you the exact same height regardless of tee box condition. My course tends to have a few different mowing heights, some bare dirt, etc., throughout the year so getting exactly the same height is always a challenge for me.

Do you use a short one for irons or just go with whatever you find around on the ground?

Yes I started with players pack probably didn't have to as there were really only 2 that would be close the height I use. They work great no matter what is on the tee as it is very easy to get the same height every time. I use the smallest one for irons and 3w. One added benefit is that there are now only 2 tees in my pocket. 

• Like 2