Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What Have You Bought Lately? (CHA - Club Ho's Anonymous)

hckymeyer

Rain gear that I thought I would have needed to play in a tournament yesterday.  Fortunately I got in before the rain started and never took it out of my bag during the round.  At least I now have a second set to keep in Virginia.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I’m back again. The ZF isn’t even here yet and I already bought another shaft. This time an Oban Purple 55 04. Couldn’t pass on the price. Hopefully one of these will make the bag as my season is approaching quickly

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

3 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

Rain gear that I thought I would have needed to play in a tournament yesterday.  Fortunately I got in before the rain started and never took it out of my bag during the round.  At least I now have a second set to keep in Virginia.

How and where did you play?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

45 minutes ago, cnosil said:

How and where did you play?

Old Hickory in Woodbridge. Shot four under and got in just before the rain started. Was a fun course to play once but not in a hurry to head back up there.  Sat and had a beer and watched the last few groups come in on 18 in the rain. 

WITB 2024

51 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Old Hickory in Woodbridge. Shot four under and got in just before the rain started. Was a fun course to play once but not in a hurry to head back up there.  Sat and had a beer and watched the last few groups come in on 18 in the rain. 

I like the course. But don’t go out of my way to play it.  No.18 is one tough be-atch though! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

25 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I like the course. But don’t go out of my way to play it.  No.18 is one tough be-atch though! 

Tee shot is rough but the second is not bad. I knocked a 5 wood just short and got up and down for a bird. 

WITB 2024

The grip on my MD3 58° wedge was feeling a bit smooth so I popped over Dick’s and picked up a Golf Pride Tour Velvet grip and put it on when I got home. My Mack Daddy CB 56° wedge has a Tour Velvet SG-1 grip which I really like but I cannot find them for sale anywhere so Tour Velvet it is.

60FB4936-6F8D-43AA-8C1C-5147749B425D.jpeg.663237a720d348de3430306044d8e603.jpeg

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

25 minutes ago, edingc said:

First piece of post-fitting purchases arrived yesterday: Fujikura Motore X F1 6X. Snagged it brand new on eBay <$90. Showed up yesterday, swapped the Cobra tip for a Callaway and ready to roll!

IMG_04042022_182821_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg.e344687e0506b0c85d6d8dfb94f30e9f.jpg

IMG_04042022_182835_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg.24c9ff0373c80235ba63c872f27f7349.jpg

Speed seems to still be there, too. 

IMG_04042022_182809_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg.2ea908200082c2e12254943cff85036a.jpg

Oh, very nice. Looking forward to reading your shaft review. 

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

I am hoping to tap into the collective knowledge of the forum. I have a TaylorMade 2016 M1 3 HL, free to me, that want to try as a “5 wood”. I can set it to 19°. The length is 1 inch longer than an actual TM M1 5 wood. Is this worth attempting or should I just bite the bullet and get an actual 5 wood? I’m leaning towards using it as a test case before purchasing a 5 wood. Thanks in advance 

1 hour ago, MattWillGolf said:

I am hoping to tap into the collective knowledge of the forum. I have a TaylorMade 2016 M1 3 HL, free to me, that want to try as a “5 wood”. I can set it to 19°. The length is 1 inch longer than an actual TM M1 5 wood. Is this worth attempting or should I just bite the bullet and get an actual 5 wood? I’m leaning towards using it as a test case before purchasing a 5 wood. Thanks in advance 

Wny are you wanting to turn it into a 5w? 

Adding loft is also going to close the face a couple degrees. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

Wny are you wanting to turn it into a 5w? 

Adding loft is also going to close the face a couple degrees. 

Honestly, just because I have it. 

2 hours ago, MattWillGolf said:

... I hate to be Captain Obvious but I have the Sim2 3 wood, 3HL wood and 5 wood and it is pretty much exactly what you would think. The HL launches higher than the 3 wood and is easier to hit from the fairway. The 5 wood launches higher than the HL and is the easiest to hit from the fairway. So basically it is either the best of both the 3 wood and 5 wood or the worst of both, depending on which one you like better. That said we are all different and you may find it closer to a 5 wood or 3 wood so I would think it is a worthwhile experiment since you already own it. 👍

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

14 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I hate to be Captain Obvious but I have the Sim2 3 wood, 3HL wood and 5 wood and it is pretty much exactly what you would think. The HL launches higher than the 3 wood and is easier to hit from the fairway. The 5 wood launches higher than the HL and is the easiest to hit from the fairway. So basically it is either the best of both the 3 wood and 5 wood or the worst of both, depending on which one you like better. That said we are all different and you may find it closer to a 5 wood or 3 wood so I would think it is a worthwhile experiment since you already own it. 👍

Thanks for the reply. I was just wanting to try it since I had but was feeling a bit foolish after the first response. I’m definitely no expert at this game and just wanted to learn.

3 minutes ago, MattWillGolf said:

Thanks for the reply. I was just wanting to try it since I had but was feeling a bit foolish after the first response. I’m definitely no expert at this game and just wanted to learn.

... You should never feel foolish asking any equipment questions on a golf forum. 😇  Wanting to learn should never stop and I still learn new stuff about equipment all the time. I would add some like a larger fairway wood head so the 3HL is perfect for those players as it is the same size as the 3 wood, while others that love the size of a smaller 5 wood head may find it looks a little too large at address from the fairway. I wish the 3HL was either the same size as a 5 wood or somewhere in-between the two. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

10 hours ago, MattWillGolf said:

Yeah dont feel foolish. Ive played with guys/gals that have some pretty unorthodox clubs, that perform great for them, or are super reliable confidence clubs. I cut 1.5” off my 5w last year and put 12g back in the head. Huge gamble/experiment. Its a stud now. Hit it 10 yards further and WAY more consistent outta any lie. IE, I hit a green from 225 out of a fairway bunker with it to 12’ Saturday. Some luck, but never doubted the shot decision. YOU DONT KNOW IF YA DONT GO!

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

11 hours ago, MattWillGolf said:

Honestly, just because I have it. 

Nothing to lose by trying it that way to see what it does for distance, ball flight and how it looks at setup. 

If you are trying to fill gaps in the bag then that would be where the focus should be and finding the right setup that gives you the gapping you need. It could be 3hl, 5w, hybrid, longest iron.

Could be 3hl, low lofted hybrid, hybrid, longest iron.

The difference between a 3hl or 3w and a 5w is going to be head size and playing length. Head size will vary between the 5w on the market as well as how much difference in size between the 3hl and the 5w. Iirc the m1 3hl was relatively small in size compared to what the stealth version is and it may even be smaller than 5w today. Also as mentioned you are going to close the club face about 3* by changing the loft whereas with a normal 5w it’s not going to be as closed.

Give it a shot and see what happens. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

15 hours ago, chisag said:

... You should never feel foolish asking any equipment questions on a golf forum. 😇  Wanting to learn should never stop and I still learn new stuff about equipment all the time. I would add some like a larger fairway wood head so the 3HL is perfect for those players as it is the same size as the 3 wood, while others that love the size of a smaller 5 wood head may find it looks a little too large at address from the fairway. I wish the 3HL was either the same size as a 5 wood or somewhere in-between the two. 

I tried it on the course today. It didn’t really work for me. I’m much more accurate with my 19° hybrid and the distance was similar. My 3 wood flys much straighter as well. This club will find a place in my for “trade in” or for sale collection. I’m glad to have tried something different though. Thanks for the encouragement. It’s appreciated. 

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Nothing to lose by trying it that way to see what it does for distance, ball flight and how it looks at setup. 

If you are trying to fill gaps in the bag then that would be where the focus should be and finding the right setup that gives you the gapping you need. It could be 3hl, 5w, hybrid, longest iron.

Could be 3hl, low lofted hybrid, hybrid, longest iron.

The difference between a 3hl or 3w and a 5w is going to be head size and playing length. Head size will vary between the 5w on the market as well as how much difference in size between the 3hl and the 5w. Iirc the m1 3hl was relatively small in size compared to what the stealth version is and it may even be smaller than 5w today. Also as mentioned you are going to close the club face about 3* by changing the loft whereas with a normal 5w it’s not going to be as closed.

Give it a shot and see what happens. 

I was hoping for more distance out of this part of the bag but after trying it on the course today it won’t be replacing my 3 hybrid. It was more offline and of similar distance to my 3 hybrid. But it was fun to experiment.

5 hours ago, Tyler86 said:

Yeah dont feel foolish. Ive played with guys/gals that have some pretty unorthodox clubs, that perform great for them, or are super reliable confidence clubs. I cut 1.5” off my 5w last year and put 12g back in the head. Huge gamble/experiment. Its a stud now. Hit it 10 yards further and WAY more consistent outta any lie. IE, I hit a green from 225 out of a fairway bunker with it to 12’ Saturday. Some luck, but never doubted the shot decision. YOU DONT KNOW IF YA DONT GO!

I gave it a go and now I know. It won’t be replacing my three hybrid. ☺️

13 minutes ago, MattWillGolf said:

I was hoping for more distance out of this part of the bag but after trying it on the course today it won’t be replacing my 3 hybrid. It was more offline and of similar distance to my 3 hybrid. But it was fun to experiment.

Going 19* lofts wouldn’t be the way to do that. The 3hl is a higher loft similar to a 4/5w depending in the brand with the length of a 3w and the head size of a 3w.

Could be the shaft isn’t a fit causing bad launch characteristics and not getting the distance you want.

23 hours ago, MattWillGolf said:

I use a 19* hybrid as my 5 wood distance club, I can use it from 195 - 210 yards. I would suggest you try it. Since it was free, what do you have to loose.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Since I’m sticking with my Ping G30 hybrid I decided to spruce up its headcover. I don’t really like the “sock” style one that came with the club. So I ordered cover from their Heritage Collection.

11EE0676-F940-4DC0-B92C-92CBC49F3480.jpeg.ae4f94c3f6cfcc6c74e343a0b810f8a8.jpeg

2 hours ago, Micah T said:

It took about a month, but it finally arrived! Taking it to the lab tonight; I love the blue on blue!

D4566DA3-14EC-49A3-B404-E88C0BB27B74.jpeg

5F18FE0E-E9DF-4638-A52A-8F7C17B8917D.jpeg

BBB3973E-0B65-49C6-92C6-8792B0A801CB.jpeg

1BF4820F-61EE-485C-8D50-1E389B672496.jpeg

9E466560-FC54-476C-B0B0-2F293B7987C6.jpeg

F026C20B-15CF-427A-9281-BDF6EBC09751.jpeg

Good looking stick! 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Just ordered a net and mat for the back yard...practice is surely the most necessary aspect to improving my game. If I don't like this net, I'll return it and pay up fir the Spornia or Haack Pro.

Golf Net Pro 10x7 ft | Portable Golf Driving Net Hitting Net | Backyard/Indoor/Outdoor - TheGolfersPick

TeeStrike Champ Golf Mat 4'x5' - TheGolfersPick

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 wood

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with :kbs: Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:callaway-small: JAWS Raw (50/54/58 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

Kirkland V3 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

1 hour ago, edingc said:

Have to love the Internet. It did not take long to find a near-mint of set of Hogan PTx Pros for an insanely good price. There's no way these were hit more than a few times (very minor bag chatter visible):

IMG_06042022_111114_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg.d1dfe1c90dceedafe03b91aa2ebd4171.jpg

Seller even threw in two Hogan golf towels as well.

Assuming I can get a little cash for the shafts (Recoil ES 780 F4 taper tips) that came with them, I will be able to build a completely custom 5-PW set with the SteelFibers and new Star Sidewinder grips for less than what it would have cost to order a new set from Hogan direct. I'll take that any day!

are you giving up on your sub70s then or having two sets to play with?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

4 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

are you giving up on your sub70s then or having two sets to play with?

They will be going on the block as soon as I can get the Hogans built up. My SteelFiber order probably won't be here until next week, so it could be a while. Will most likely be parted out with the heads and MMTs separately.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver