Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What Have You Bought Lately? (CHA - Club Ho's Anonymous)

hckymeyer

29 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Just saying and of course it's up to you how you set up your bag, but .. there's no rule that says you have to carry a 3W...

Many ams, myself included, opt for a 5W .. a little more loft, a little shorter shaft length .. can make it easier to make contact and get the ball going.

Definitely, have even floated the idea of a 7w just to try out. It seems like the used 5w's go for a little less as well.

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

1 hour ago, Northern Monkey said:

I had been thinking about changing my driver for a while now and found a Ping G430 Max on EBay. It was described as only having been used once on the range and was priced at £350 including postage so bit the bullet and bought it. Arrived this morning and it’s in as new condition, not a mark on it! Can’t wait to get out with it now

IMG_5061.jpeg.387725ac664a000ea95fe4cd31ac0d09.jpegIMG_5060.jpeg.00ff9a1437d1801f53126f9366bcee6c.jpegIMG_5058.jpeg.59327aafdd5bf87845bcdfa8b74c7fea.jpegIMG_5059.jpeg.8378a36750e3c08f02bc2ce901a6a0d4.jpeg

Oh thats beautiful! Hope you enjoy it!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

8 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Just saying and of course it's up to you how you set up your bag, but .. there's no rule that says you have to carry a 3W...

Many ams, myself included, opt for a 5W .. a little more loft, a little shorter shaft length .. can make it easier to make contact and get the ball going.

High launch 3w (so 4w?) love mine.  Thing can f****** send the ball.  Damn near ball speeds that my driver puts out.

Stack Referral code

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review

8 hours ago, Javs said:

Recommend giving the Odyssey AI Jailbreak a try. Also do a putter fitting. I know I learned a ton when I did my fitting. Learned I was using the wrong type putter that was too upright. The change has been amazing!

I’ve hit the AI putters. I’m just not a fan of them for some reason. And the closest places to do a putter fitting are an hour away, also not a fan of trying go do that either. If I need to, I will. I do know using a blade will never be in play for me. And a smaller head like my odyssey white hot pro rossie putter I have more confidence with as well as bigger mallet putters. You could put the millennium falcon at the end of the club and I would feel more confident with it than a blade. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

3 hours ago, Northern Monkey said:

I had been thinking about changing my driver for a while now and found a Ping G430 Max on EBay. It was described as only having been used once on the range and was priced at £350 including postage so bit the bullet and bought it. Arrived this morning and it’s in as new condition, not a mark on it! Can’t wait to get out with it now

IMG_5061.jpeg.387725ac664a000ea95fe4cd31ac0d09.jpegIMG_5060.jpeg.00ff9a1437d1801f53126f9366bcee6c.jpegIMG_5058.jpeg.59327aafdd5bf87845bcdfa8b74c7fea.jpegIMG_5059.jpeg.8378a36750e3c08f02bc2ce901a6a0d4.jpeg

I think you'll love the performance and forgiveness of the Ping g430 max driver.  I purchased this same driver model in late September 2023 and played about 6-7 rounds with it to finish off the season.  I had probably my 6 best driving rounds of 2023 while using the Ping with about 10-20 yards (on average) more distance, but most importantly, it kept me on the fairway much more often than my previous drivers (Srixon ZX5 and Cobra F8+).  The forgiveness of this driver is the best feature.

Enjoy your new Ping!!

My weapons of choice:

Driver: :ping-small: G430 Max 10.5

5 Wood: :ping-small: G430 Max

7Wood: :cobra-small: King F9 SpeedBack

Hybrid: :PXG: 0211, 19-degree

Irons 1: :srixon-small: ZX5, 5-GW

Irons 2: :PXG: 0211 XCOR2, 5-GW

Wedges: :vokey-small:  SM9, 52 F8 & 56 S10

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider FCG #3 Mallet

“Of all the hazards, fear is the worst.” - Sam Snead

4 hours ago, Northern Monkey said:

27 minutes ago, William0946 said:

I think you'll love the performance and forgiveness of the Ping g430 max driver.  I purchased this same driver model in late September 2023 and played about 6-7 rounds with it to finish off the season.  I had probably my 6 best driving rounds of 2023 while using the Ping with about 10-20 yards (on average) more distance, but most importantly, it kept me on the fairway much more often than my previous drivers (Srixon ZX5 and Cobra F8+).  The forgiveness of this driver is the best feature.

Enjoy your new Ping!!

I had the same thought as I just bought a G430 Max head on ebay last night! When I got fit for a driver shaft last fall I had hit all the new heads except Ping, but none of them were a huge improvement over my Mizuno STZ-220 so I decided against getting a new head too. Now that my Mizuno head got a crack in the carbon on the sole somehow I decided to just pull the trigger on ebay and I'm excited

Link to What's in My Bag Post

:ping-small: - G430 Max

:cobra-small: - LTDx 3 Wood

:callaway-small: - Mavrik 4 & 5 hybrids

:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Irons

:titleist-small::vokey-small: - SM9 50, 54, 58 degree

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

:mizuno-small: - RB Tour X Ball

Link to BirdieBall 2-in-1 Putting/Hitting Mat 2023 Forum Review

2 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

I’ve hit the AI putters. I’m just not a fan of them for some reason. And the closest places to do a putter fitting are an hour away, also not a fan of trying go do that either. If I need to, I will. I do know using a blade will never be in play for me. And a smaller head like my odyssey white hot pro rossie putter I have more confidence with as well as bigger mallet putters. You could put the millennium falcon at the end of the club and I would feel more confident with it than a blade. 

The jailbreak is not a blade. 

Play like a champion today!

3 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Oh thats beautiful! Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks. Been out for a round with it already and it’s awesome! I have a tendency to slice and this has cured it straight away. All my drives were either on the fairway or slightly left. I think it’s the first round where I haven’t had any drives go right. Such an improvement!!!!

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik 3 hybrid 

Irons: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik  4-AW,

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws MD5 50 and 56 wedges

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

IMG_5085.jpeg

41 minutes ago, William0946 said:

Enjoy your new Ping!!

11 minutes ago, Nick_D said:

I had the same thought as I just bought a G430 Max head on ebay last night! When I got fit for a driver shaft last fall I had hit all the new heads except Ping, but none of them were a huge improvement over my Mizuno STZ-220 so I decided against getting a new head too. Now that my Mizuno head got a crack in the carbon on the sole somehow I decided to just pull the trigger on ebay and I'm excited

You’re absolutely right about the forgiveness! It’s fantastic, no drives to the right at all!

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik 3 hybrid 

Irons: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik  4-AW,

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws MD5 50 and 56 wedges

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

IMG_5085.jpeg

1 hour ago, Javs said:

The jailbreak is not a blade. 

You are correct, they have more than a blade style putter. I just don’t get along with the new odyssey putters. I tried them all and just not a fan. I say all that to say the guy had me hit a putter I hadn’t thought of. He had me hit a ping sit performed well on the putting area they have in their store. And it was super consistent like the Cleveland and Taylormade. It’s looking like I may do ping. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

7 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

You are correct, they have more than a blade style putter. I just don’t get along with the new odyssey putters. I tried them all and just not a fan. I say all that to say the guy had me hit a putter I hadn’t thought of. He had me hit a ping sit performed well on the putting area they have in their store. And it was super consistent like the Cleveland and Taylormade. It’s looking like I may do ping. 

I know you stated you didn’t want to drive for a fitting. However, the standard off the rack putter might not fit you. For example, when I was fitted the type of putter mattered with my type stroke. What was equally important was the lie. I needed the putter bent 4 degrees flat. That made the putter level and gave me a more consistent stroke. Without bending the putter my strikes and roll was inconsistent. That’s why I recommend the fitting. It is the club you will use the most on the course. It’s also the club that can save or take away the most strokes. 

14 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

I have the previous model HB Soft 14 from Cleveland and I would be shooting terribly if it was not in the bag. Very solid putter.

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

42 minutes ago, Javs said:

I know you stated you didn’t want to drive for a fitting. However, the standard off the rack putter might not fit you. For example, when I was fitted the type of putter mattered with my type stroke. What was equally important was the lie. I needed the putter bent 4 degrees flat. That made the putter level and gave me a more consistent stroke. Without bending the putter my strikes and roll was inconsistent. That’s why I recommend the fitting. It is the club you will use the most on the course. It’s also the club that can save or take away the most strokes. 

You are also not wrong in that assessment of doing a fitting and using it the most every round. Unless you’re some prodigy that holes it out from the fairway and hits HIO like they are candy. It’s weird as inserts have never been an issue until the Sik face insert. And for whatever reason, the new AI inserts on the odyssey putters I just don’t get along with. The three putters that I have while at the store are milled putters. And this makes no sense to me 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

5 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

You are also not wrong in that assessment of doing a fitting and using it the most every round. Unless you’re some prodigy that holes it out from the fairway and hits HIO like they are candy. It’s weird as inserts have never been an issue until the Sik face insert. And for whatever reason, the new AI inserts on the odyssey putters I just don’t get along with. The three putters that I have while at the store are milled putters. And this makes no sense to me 

I always say horses for courses and the same goes for equipment. Two golfers can play the same course or with the same equipment and 1 will be happy and the other frustrated. That’s one of the things that makes this game so interesting and challenging.

2 minutes ago, Javs said:

I always say horses for courses and the same goes for equipment. Two golfers can play the same course or with the same equipment and 1 will be happy and the other frustrated. That’s one of the things that makes this game so interesting and challenging.

You’re not wrong

Ping Prime Tyne 4

9 hours ago, Northern Monkey said:

Looks great, I looked at this club as well, but the prices were a tad high. So, I bought a local hardly used by the look of it Calaway Mavrik driver. I'll hit the range Monday. 

Thomas

13 minutes ago, Thomas 2024 said:

Looks great, I looked at this club as well, but the prices were a tad high. So, I bought a local hardly used by the look of it Calaway Mavrik driver. I'll hit the range Monday. 

I saw this on some other site for 2020.  Interested to hear how it works out for you.

MAVRIK DRIVER

Selected as a "Best Driver" for swing speeds of 95 mph-105 mph

"Of all the drivers in 2020, this one has the best potential to create the most ball speed."

"Ball speeds are consistent around the face, spin rates are lower compared to others at this speed, and it's very forgiving. What's not to love?"

"The ball speed around the face is fantastic, and you can fit almost anybody with this driver."

Driver/3H :callaway-small: Mavrik 22
5H/SW: :callaway-small:Edge 
5-PW: :macgregor-small: MT-86 OS
56/60: Kirkland Signature 
Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro

18 minutes ago, jdbeatty said:

I just bought/ordered a LAB DF3.  Am I going to regret it???  LOL

I needed a change from my toe weighted blade.  

For me, the weight distribution was clearly keeping me on a consistent swing plane.  And the benefit of not loosing much in speed with mishits was a draw as well.  

You will love it!  I have the DF2.1 and it's the best putter I have owned. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I did it. I said I’m biting the bullet. I traded my cobra in for the ping prime tyne 4 putter. It was more consistent on long putts in the store than the other 2 and the feel off the face reminded me of when I first got my odyssey putter. And that’s weird to say. But I’m happy with the purchase. I’ll use it and write up a new review on it. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4