TESTERS WANTED! ×

Help me pick out my first set of player irons

I've decided the offset and wide soles of my Pings are doing me more harm than good at this point. So, I've decided to take the plunge and purchase my first set of true player irons.

I've done a little research. I don't want training wheels but I'm looking for a set that has a small amount of forgiveness built in. Thin soles, minimal offset and a thin top line without a lot going on at address.

Here is my initial demo list:

Mizuno MP-57/58

Callaway X-22 Tour

Cleveland CG Tour

Bridgestone J36 Pocket

If any of you have feedback on any of these then your input would be much appreciated. Also, am I missing any set from my initial list that fits my criteria that I should include? Thanks!

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Callaway x forged 07 and 09 versions people like, have a cavity back and the 07s right now are cheap and both of these usually come with project x flighted shafts so some good shafts there if u want to spend a little bit of money the callaway prototypes are getting cheaper still around 900 but no where near as forgiving as the forged are,

definatelt not the 22 tours there is no feel with those and the others on ur list definately deserve a try !!!

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

Callaway x forged 07 and 09 versions people like, have a cavity back and the 07s right now are cheap and both of these usually come with project x flighted shafts so some good shafts there if u want to spend a little bit of money the callaway prototypes are getting cheaper still around 900 but no where near as forgiving as the forged are,

definatelt not the 22 tours there is no feel with those and the others on ur list definately deserve a try !!!

Thanks Andrew. You definitely know your Callaway so I will replace the X-22 tours with the X Forged. I have to admit - the 2007 X Forged irons did catch my eye at Dick's the other day. And Project X is also my preferred shaft. Appreciate the feedback!

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I have to reccomend the MP 57/58 or maybe even the 52. All great feel, great looking, no nonsense clubs. I have the 57's myself and could not be happier. (unless I had the 58's, of course) ;) You could probably get a decent deal on the 57's too because they are a discontinued model.

But the Bridgestones are also very good clubs. I almost bought them when I got the 57's.

Give the AP2's ago. they are very compact and still give you some forgivness ;)

Scotty Cameron Tour P330 Fastback (A015066),

Scotty Cameron Tour P330 Squareback,

Scotty Cameron Inspired By Brad Faxon,

More just cant write them all in here :)

• SPY VIP

Let's see...

I'd go with either the Mizuno, or the Mizuno, or possibly the Mizuno. No other major OEM's forged iron comes close.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Let's see...

I'd go with either the Mizuno, or the Mizuno, or possibly the Mizuno. No other major OEM's forged iron comes close.

So, let me see... You'd recommend the Mizuno irons then? ;) Actually, it's not the first time I've heard that. Mizuno also fares well on resale (like Ping).

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Lets not forget the Adams CB1 and CB2. Black and AWESOME!!!!!!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Any thoughts on how the taylor made R9 TP's would compare to the irons mentioned here?? I realize they're not forged but just curious...

thanks

These are a bit bigger than most "players irons" considered in this thread. Good irons, but not in the same category..

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Lets not forget the Adams CB1 and CB2. Black and AWESOME!!!!!!

Nic - not familiar with the CB series. What's the difference between the two?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Just received a mixed set of Mizuno, MP 52 (4-6) MP 62 (7-PW). Couldn't be happier. I've played blades and forged cavity backs (most recent were Bridgestone J33 CBs). Really need to look into the mixed set options Mizuno provides. Edwin Watts Golf in Mobile did my fitting and got me just what I wanted (and needed).

The new line of X-Forged can be had dirt cheap at the moment. Rockbottom have them for $599 with PX's. And I've seen them on the bay for $529 new in the box

I have a revolving WITB policy.

I have played 200+ rounds with my Callaway X-22 Tours and I must say they offer exceptional feel. If those are not so called "players" irons, I don't what are.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

Lot of folks say the same thing about new Burners, especially if you put in some different shafts.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I demo'd a bunch of irons this past week...

The Callaway X Forged were the first irons I tried. I didn't like them at all. Very limited forgiveness on miss hits. Smaller heads compared to some of the other sets I tried. Just not for me. Maybe some day but not now.

I also tried the X22 Tours. I actually thought they felt great on nutted shots and they also offered a good amount of forgiveness for this category. Definitely an option, but not my first choice based on aesthetics.

Next up were the Bridgestone J36 pocket cavities. Wow, I really like these clubs. Great looking irons. The Endo forgings felt like butter. The cavity, hidden at address on even the long irons, provided a decent amount of forgiveness. I'm strongly considering picking up a set of these even if they aren't my regular gamers.

I tried Titlest AP2 and Burner TP's, Ugh. Not even close to the Bridgestones. Might as well be on a different planet.

Then came the Mizunos. My favorite model were the MP 57's. These were wonderful. A touch more forgiving than the Bridgestone's in the long irons and even softer (which I didn't think going in was even possible). Great penetrating ball flight with the Project X shafts. These were my favorites.

So, I'm off to find a set of pre-owned MP 57's. If I can't find a good deal on these or I can't get them with the right specs then I won't hesitate to pull the trigger on the Bridgestones. In the end, I think I'd be happy with either set.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I hope you find the MP 57's in the right specs. I got mine used for $500, and only the 6 iron had been used. They 6 was ordered as a demo club, but they sent them the whole set, so the rest just sat in the back. That took it down to about $700, but I had a coupon that took it down to $500.

Also, that's basically what I expected you would think about the X-Forged, that's what I thought about them too.

Good luck.

• SPY VIP

I demo'd a bunch of irons this past week...

The Callaway X Forged were the first irons I tried. I didn't like them at all. Very limited forgiveness on miss hits. Smaller heads compared to some of the other sets I tried. Just not for me. Maybe some day but not now.

I also tried the X22 Tours. I actually thought they felt great on nutted shots and they also offered a good amount of forgiveness for this category. Definitely an option, but not my first choice based on aesthetics.

Next up were the Bridgestone J36 pocket cavities. Wow, I really like these clubs. Great looking irons. The Endo forgings felt like butter. The cavity, hidden at address on even the long irons, provided a decent amount of forgiveness. I'm strongly considering picking up a set of these even if they aren't my regular gamers.

I tried Titlest AP2 and Burner TP's, Ugh. Not even close to the Bridgestones. Might as well be on a different planet.

Then came the Mizunos. My favorite model were the MP 57's. These were wonderful. A touch more forgiving than the Bridgestone's in the long irons and even softer (which I didn't think going in was even possible). Great penetrating ball flight with the Project X shafts. These were my favorites.

So, I'm off to find a set of pre-owned MP 57's. If I can't find a good deal on these or I can't get them with the right specs then I won't hesitate to pull the trigger on the Bridgestones. In the end, I think I'd be happy with either set.

Two questions for you? What specs are you looking for, and what are you looking to pay?

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Two questions for you? What specs are you looking for, and what are you looking to pay?

Project X 5.0 or 5.5 shafts with 1 degree upright lie angle and +1" length. Why? Do you have a set you were looking to sell? If so, PM me.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Update - picked up a set of the Bridgestone J36 pocket cavities. Grabbed a set off the Bay that has only been played a couple of rounds for $275 with the project X shafts. Couldn't pass up that deal. Still might get a set of Mizunos too...

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

In my opinion with the 4 sets you have listed your comparing two forged sets and two cast sets. I would say when your comparing the sets look at the 2 forged sets if your looking for feel. I would go with the Mizzy's as once you play a mizuno forged iron you should get that bug for the feel of a truly great forged iron! JMO.

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Update - picked up a set of the Bridgestone J36 pocket cavities. Grabbed a set off the Bay that has only been played a couple of rounds for $275 with the project X shafts. Couldn't pass up that deal. Still might get a set of Mizunos too...

Well B-stones are probably the most underated OEM out there. they make excellent equipment and they use ENDO to forge their irons which is one of my personal favorites. It has a very crisp feel and if you want a little softer feel then Mizzy will handle that!

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

In my opinion with the 4 sets you have listed your comparing two forged sets and two cast sets. I would say when your comparing the sets look at the 2 forged sets if your looking for feel. I would go with the Mizzy's as once you play a mizuno forged iron you should get that bug for the feel of a truly great forged iron! JMO.

Tim

Tim-

It's a fine line, but if you notice "forged" wasn't in my original criteria. However, in the "players" category, the forged clubs stand out due to feel. But they are also in many cases less forgiving. Like any other mid-handicapper, I'm torn between bagging forged irons that look great in the bag but may be above my current skill level and versus non-forged or two piece forged sets that feature more forgiveness but still have the other attributes of a players iron.

In the end, I decided to go with forged knowing that on days when I'm off my scoring will probably suffer but making the transition now is best if I want to take my game to the next level.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Well B-stones are probably the most underated OEM out there. they make excellent equipment and they use ENDO to forge their irons which is one of my personal favorites. It has a very crisp feel and if you want a little softer feel then Mizzy will handle that!

The Endo forgings are a little bit "clicky" compared to Mizuno, but they are still plenty soft and a big improvement in that category over my cast Pings.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Tim-

It's a fine line, but if you notice "forged" wasn't in my original criteria. However, in the "players" category, the forged clubs stand out due to feel. But they are also in many cases less forgiving. Like any other mid-handicapper, I'm torn between bagging forged irons that look great in the bag but may be above my current skill level and versus non-forged or two piece forged sets that feature more forgiveness but still have the other attributes of a players iron.

In the end, I decided to go with forged knowing that on days when I'm off my scoring will probably suffer but making the transition now is best if I want to take my game to the next level.

Blaine,

My opinion on getting better is by playing maybe a club that helps you recognise your mishits. I feel that's what made me get better when I was playing every week. Right now i'm going sort of the same thing I did when I was going from a 10 to a 5. I decided when I was hovering around 8-10 I went to a blade. It was the mizuno Mp-29. To me they were not impossible to hit. Plus when I did miss a shot I know exactly where the miss occured. Now that's just me others feel you should use forgiving clubs, but I was at the mindset that one day I will be scratch and I give most of the credit to getting there was when I made the switch i actually put in the time. If you want to get better it probably doesn't really matter which clubs you use as long as you like them and you have been fitted. From there it's all about practice.And when it comes to practice it means practicing the right things, if you can't self correct then you need to see someone who knows the swing and can tell you what you are doing wrong. Once you got that practice the short game atleast twice as much as everthing else. Chipping and putting are the most important. I'm not saying don't practice all shots but SHORT GAME is key. Having a great short game will help recover from some of those other errors. Sorry for going on and on but my first set of what I concidered as gammers where a set of Hogan Edge forged irons. I believe they were done by Endo if not they were Hoffman but either way they were 10X's better then the Fuzzy Zoeller Powerbilts I was using prior. Make sure to get what you like and what you feel , feels the best. It only matters to you! The Hogans only took me so far. they got me to single digits but the blades got me to a 2. Now I'm on my way back and I'm using Cally XTour 1Dot T grinds, a little more forgiving then my Cally Proto's but that's because i haven't played for two seasons and i'm just starting to be able to play again. I started the year shooting 84,97,95,94,96,88,82,85,84,82,82. I'm almost where I feel I should be I had to go back so I could go forward. I wish you luck in your journey. You can't go wrong with either BStone or Mizzy. Two great sets.

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

The Endo forgings are a little bit "clicky" compared to Mizuno, but they are still plenty soft and a big improvement in that category over my cast Pings.

YES that is correct.Pings would never fall into the catagory of great feel. Now I will reserve my opinion on their newest offering until I see and hit in person! LOL

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

• SPY VIP

YES that is correct.Pings would never fall into the catagory of great feel. Now I will reserve my opinion on their newest offering until I see and hit in person! LOL

I'm so glad to hear (or see it in writing in this particular case) that I'm not the only one who finds the feel of ping irons suspect. I was starting to feel like a crazy person. Hopefully the Anser Forged will be a HUGE improvement.

• SPY VIP

Project X 5.0 or 5.5 shafts with 1 degree upright lie angle and +1" length. Why? Do you have a set you were looking to sell? If so, PM me.

Well...the 5.5 I got, and I could easily bend 'em for you. Mine are MP-52s anyway, and they're definitely not +1". I am thinking about selling though.

I have just fallen victim to Taylor Made again, I have the new Burner Irons on the way, replacing my R9's.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived