TESTERS WANTED! ×

Help me pick out my first set of player irons

I'm so glad to hear (or see it in writing in this particular case) that I'm not the only one who finds the feel of ping irons suspect. I was starting to feel like a crazy person. Hopefully the Anser Forged will be a HUGE improvement.

I didn't want this to turn into a bash Ping thread. Ping irons are awesome in their own right and I played them the first seven years of my golf life so it would be hypocritical for me to bash them now. They cater to their niche I'd say better than anyone - the mid to high handicap player. Certainly, players that "grew up" with Ping gravitate towards their I and S series irons when they become better and that is certainly a viable option. I just think there are better options in that niche than Ping if you look at it subjectively and not through the tainted goggles of a Ping loyalist.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I have just fallen victim to Taylor Made again, I have the new Burner Irons on the way, replacing my R9's.

Ah John... say it isn't so! LOL. :)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I just really, really, like the feel of them, and for a new set at 325.00 from my local rep, I just couldn't pass them up. Weird thing, the free 6 iron from Taylor Made really sold me on it.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I just really, really, like the feel of them, and for a new set at 325.00 from my local rep, I just couldn't pass them up. Weird thing, the free 6 iron from Taylor Made really sold me on it.

Well, I registered for the free 6 iron and they never sent one. I didn't care for Taylormade before and now I REALLY don't like them for dissing me on the promotion. So, they never seriously made it into the mix on my demo list. Doom on them.

That is a very good deal though on the Burners. I can see why you pulled the trigger.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I truthfully really hit my R9s well, and when I bought them at my local GG, I went in said "Bring me irons, don't tell me the price, and keep bringing them to me until I find 3 I like, then I will decide." It came down to the R7s, actually a Ben Hogan iron from 08 and I think it was the Callaway X18s, but the R7s were crisper, and the ball exploaded off the face. I though I was in heaven, a kid in the candy shop, I have had that feel the past few years, but it cooled some, then all of a sudden, I have it again hitting the Burners!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

I'm going to make the same decision sometime soon. My top 3 considerations are the new Adams CB irons, the Mizuno MP 58s, and the Titleist AP2s.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I'm going to make the same decision sometime soon. My top 3 considerations are the new Adams CB irons, the Mizuno MP 58s, and the Titleist AP2s.

I think you'll find that the Mizuno 58s are surprisingly forgiving.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Well, I registered for the free 6 iron and they never sent one. I didn't care for Taylormade before and now I REALLY don't like them for dissing me on the promotion. So, they never seriously made it into the mix on my demo list. Doom on them.

Me too, grrr.... I would never replace my Mp 57's with Taylor Mades anyway, but their drivers are great...

My new clubs come in on Wednesday, playing 9 with them after work

Lucky.... Mine are still a few weeks out :angry:

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

My new clubs come in on Wednesday, playing 9 with them after work

Lucky.... Mine are still a few weeks out :angry:

What did you gentleman get? Mine should be here tomorrow. Just in time to "unleash hell" on Matt. We're supposed to play on Saturday. ;)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

What did you gentleman get? Mine should be here tomorrow. Just in time to "unleash hell" on Matt. We're supposed to play on Saturday. ;)

Good luck (hmmm, maybe I shouldn't be picking sides....:angry:)

Adams CB1's 5-pw PJX 6.0 2* flat, st length. Arrive Monday.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I am currently considering trying the Wilson Ci7 - the ones Padraig Harrington used to win the 2008 British Open Championship. Haven't decided if I want to pull the trigger yet, but kind of hard to resist considering the sub $200 price tag on these.

Those Wilsons are a good set of sticks.

Got the irons this afternoon. Sadly, not in time for my game with Matt. I struck the ball fairly well today. I was able to par three of the four par 3's and probably should have birdied a couple if my putting was on.

So, the Pings were trying to make a strong case to stay in the bag. But, I'm not falling for it. I didn't hit near enough greens in regulation.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

They are trying to trick you, they know they are being replaced. They are just trying to throw a little doubt in your mind!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• 3 weeks later...

well this isn't on the list but i love the mizuno mp 68. they are blades but they have a taller face so more room or error and forgiveness. they also look beautiful.

the x 22 tour aren't forged so you don't get that pure feeling. they still have a pretty thick topline.

the mp 58 feel pretty much like the 68 but i love that simple look of a blade.

• 2 weeks later...

Try everything and get what suits your eye the best, you'll play into them as you go. Get ready for sore hands though........unless you get graph shafts

wanna know the secret to satisfying a woman everytime?...................................................................................................................................................who cares

• 3 months later...

Any thoughts on how the taylor made R9 TP's would compare to the irons mentioned here?? I realize they're not forged but just curious...

thanks

i like them but HATE the 5-4-3 irons. SOOO FAT. for me its actually harder to hit

If you're dropping coin on a set of forged players irons new, I'd say mizuno should be one of the first options. If I, however, were buyig a set and wanted the most well fitted irons for me, and was ordering from an OEM, I'd have to look at Scratch golf. You won't find a better company to fit you in the business. And every set of irons that go out their door are players irons. Not to mention the fit everything, from the sole grind, loft, length, lie, grips, etc and allow you to customize them from paintfill to grips to ferrules. Awesome for buying a fitted set.

If you want a fitter that you're not going to find a better fitter and builder, locate Joe Kwok and give him a call or shoot him an email. I'd venture a bet that he can fit someone over the phone better than most can in their shop. He's that good. And his tolerances are more stringent than anyone out there.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

why not ping s56s or i15s if ur lookng for forgiveness i love my i15s. just tt the dispersion on the 15s are still more more the mid to low handicapper

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Archived