Help me pick out my first set of player irons

Update - picked up a set of the Bridgestone J36 pocket cavities. Grabbed a set off the Bay that has only been played a couple of rounds for $275 with the project X shafts. Couldn't pass up that deal. Still might get a set of Mizunos too...

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion with the 4 sets you have listed your comparing two forged sets and two cast sets. I would say when your comparing the sets look at the 2 forged sets if your looking for feel. I would go with the Mizzy's as once you play a mizuno forged iron you should get that bug for the feel of a truly great forged iron! JMO.

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Update - picked up a set of the Bridgestone J36 pocket cavities. Grabbed a set off the Bay that has only been played a couple of rounds for $275 with the project X shafts. Couldn't pass up that deal. Still might get a set of Mizunos too...

Well B-stones are probably the most underated OEM out there. they make excellent equipment and they use ENDO to forge their irons which is one of my personal favorites. It has a very crisp feel and if you want a little softer feel then Mizzy will handle that!

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

In my opinion with the 4 sets you have listed your comparing two forged sets and two cast sets. I would say when your comparing the sets look at the 2 forged sets if your looking for feel. I would go with the Mizzy's as once you play a mizuno forged iron you should get that bug for the feel of a truly great forged iron! JMO.

Tim

Tim-

It's a fine line, but if you notice "forged" wasn't in my original criteria. However, in the "players" category, the forged clubs stand out due to feel. But they are also in many cases less forgiving. Like any other mid-handicapper, I'm torn between bagging forged irons that look great in the bag but may be above my current skill level and versus non-forged or two piece forged sets that feature more forgiveness but still have the other attributes of a players iron.

In the end, I decided to go with forged knowing that on days when I'm off my scoring will probably suffer but making the transition now is best if I want to take my game to the next level.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Well B-stones are probably the most underated OEM out there. they make excellent equipment and they use ENDO to forge their irons which is one of my personal favorites. It has a very crisp feel and if you want a little softer feel then Mizzy will handle that!

The Endo forgings are a little bit "clicky" compared to Mizuno, but they are still plenty soft and a big improvement in that category over my cast Pings.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Tim-

It's a fine line, but if you notice "forged" wasn't in my original criteria. However, in the "players" category, the forged clubs stand out due to feel. But they are also in many cases less forgiving. Like any other mid-handicapper, I'm torn between bagging forged irons that look great in the bag but may be above my current skill level and versus non-forged or two piece forged sets that feature more forgiveness but still have the other attributes of a players iron.

In the end, I decided to go with forged knowing that on days when I'm off my scoring will probably suffer but making the transition now is best if I want to take my game to the next level.

Blaine,

My opinion on getting better is by playing maybe a club that helps you recognise your mishits. I feel that's what made me get better when I was playing every week. Right now i'm going sort of the same thing I did when I was going from a 10 to a 5. I decided when I was hovering around 8-10 I went to a blade. It was the mizuno Mp-29. To me they were not impossible to hit. Plus when I did miss a shot I know exactly where the miss occured. Now that's just me others feel you should use forgiving clubs, but I was at the mindset that one day I will be scratch and I give most of the credit to getting there was when I made the switch i actually put in the time. If you want to get better it probably doesn't really matter which clubs you use as long as you like them and you have been fitted. From there it's all about practice.And when it comes to practice it means practicing the right things, if you can't self correct then you need to see someone who knows the swing and can tell you what you are doing wrong. Once you got that practice the short game atleast twice as much as everthing else. Chipping and putting are the most important. I'm not saying don't practice all shots but SHORT GAME is key. Having a great short game will help recover from some of those other errors. Sorry for going on and on but my first set of what I concidered as gammers where a set of Hogan Edge forged irons. I believe they were done by Endo if not they were Hoffman but either way they were 10X's better then the Fuzzy Zoeller Powerbilts I was using prior. Make sure to get what you like and what you feel , feels the best. It only matters to you! The Hogans only took me so far. they got me to single digits but the blades got me to a 2. Now I'm on my way back and I'm using Cally XTour 1Dot T grinds, a little more forgiving then my Cally Proto's but that's because i haven't played for two seasons and i'm just starting to be able to play again. I started the year shooting 84,97,95,94,96,88,82,85,84,82,82. I'm almost where I feel I should be I had to go back so I could go forward. I wish you luck in your journey. You can't go wrong with either BStone or Mizzy. Two great sets.

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

The Endo forgings are a little bit "clicky" compared to Mizuno, but they are still plenty soft and a big improvement in that category over my cast Pings.

YES that is correct.Pings would never fall into the catagory of great feel. Now I will reserve my opinion on their newest offering until I see and hit in person! LOL

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

• SPY VIP

YES that is correct.Pings would never fall into the catagory of great feel. Now I will reserve my opinion on their newest offering until I see and hit in person! LOL

I'm so glad to hear (or see it in writing in this particular case) that I'm not the only one who finds the feel of ping irons suspect. I was starting to feel like a crazy person. Hopefully the Anser Forged will be a HUGE improvement.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

Project X 5.0 or 5.5 shafts with 1 degree upright lie angle and +1" length. Why? Do you have a set you were looking to sell? If so, PM me.

Well...the 5.5 I got, and I could easily bend 'em for you. Mine are MP-52s anyway, and they're definitely not +1". I am thinking about selling though.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I'm so glad to hear (or see it in writing in this particular case) that I'm not the only one who finds the feel of ping irons suspect. I was starting to feel like a crazy person. Hopefully the Anser Forged will be a HUGE improvement.

I didn't want this to turn into a bash Ping thread. Ping irons are awesome in their own right and I played them the first seven years of my golf life so it would be hypocritical for me to bash them now. They cater to their niche I'd say better than anyone - the mid to high handicap player. Certainly, players that "grew up" with Ping gravitate towards their I and S series irons when they become better and that is certainly a viable option. I just think there are better options in that niche than Ping if you look at it subjectively and not through the tainted goggles of a Ping loyalist.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I have just fallen victim to Taylor Made again, I have the new Burner Irons on the way, replacing my R9's.

Ah John... say it isn't so! LOL. :)

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I just really, really, like the feel of them, and for a new set at 325.00 from my local rep, I just couldn't pass them up. Weird thing, the free 6 iron from Taylor Made really sold me on it.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

chevy_chase22.jpg

I just really, really, like the feel of them, and for a new set at 325.00 from my local rep, I just couldn't pass them up. Weird thing, the free 6 iron from Taylor Made really sold me on it.

Well, I registered for the free 6 iron and they never sent one. I didn't care for Taylormade before and now I REALLY don't like them for dissing me on the promotion. So, they never seriously made it into the mix on my demo list. Doom on them.

That is a very good deal though on the Burners. I can see why you pulled the trigger.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I truthfully really hit my R9s well, and when I bought them at my local GG, I went in said "Bring me irons, don't tell me the price, and keep bringing them to me until I find 3 I like, then I will decide." It came down to the R7s, actually a Ben Hogan iron from 08 and I think it was the Callaway X18s, but the R7s were crisper, and the ball exploaded off the face. I though I was in heaven, a kid in the candy shop, I have had that feel the past few years, but it cooled some, then all of a sudden, I have it again hitting the Burners!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

chevy_chase22.jpg

I'm going to make the same decision sometime soon. My top 3 considerations are the new Adams CB irons, the Mizuno MP 58s, and the Titleist AP2s.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I'm going to make the same decision sometime soon. My top 3 considerations are the new Adams CB irons, the Mizuno MP 58s, and the Titleist AP2s.

I think you'll find that the Mizuno 58s are surprisingly forgiving.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Well, I registered for the free 6 iron and they never sent one. I didn't care for Taylormade before and now I REALLY don't like them for dissing me on the promotion. So, they never seriously made it into the mix on my demo list. Doom on them.

Me too, grrr.... I would never replace my Mp 57's with Taylor Mades anyway, but their drivers are great...

My new clubs come in on Wednesday, playing 9 with them after work

Lucky.... Mine are still a few weeks out :angry:

Driver - :taylormade-small:   Stealth 9° Graphite Design Tour AD XC Stiff
Fairway - Cannot find one worth a dang

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -  Ping PLD Anser (inbound)  Evnroll ER1V/Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.