Aotearoa_Brad

From the Blog: Direct to Consumer Golf Ball Guide

Going to add the Project a, Bridgestone 330 RX, Nike RZN Black and the Wilson FG Tour into the mix over the next couple of weeks and see what shakes out.  

I'll be interested to read your thoughts on the Project a. I started using it last year and I really like it. I'll probably stick with it for this season.

• Like 1

I'll be interested to read your thoughts on the Project a. I started using it last year and I really like it. I'll probably stick with it for this season.

Played the Tour Preferred X last year - it was an okay ball.  Nothing about it really jumped out at me, but it's a good, solid ball.  Went the whole year without hitting the Project a, so it's time to see what that one can do.  As GolfSpy Brad alluded in the Srixon post, at some point there's a price/performance point - is a $30 ball good enough, and does it give enough performance compared to a "tour" level ball?  

As the zen master said, "we'll see..."

I picked up some Nicklaus blacks (although I probably should have played the blues based on tee box selection). I have played one round so far and was impressed. It felt great chipping and putting. I seemed to get an awful lot of wedge spin, having rolled back off the green twice, but that may be small sample size. I haven't played enough to really say anything definite about ball flight or distance but I played a good round with them and if that keeps up I'll be a customer.

I played a mix of Snell, Monsta, Nicklaus Black and Srixon Z-Star this weekend, Snell played the first 18 and the others 6 holes each over the second round. For Snell, Monsta, Nicklaus I used the actual balls that were used in testing so already 18+ holes each and 75+ swings each in simulator and pitching chipping. The Srixon I found with no signs of wear.

Distance wise I'm testing couple Paderson shafts atm, I find them extremly high spin and hard to get down below 2500 with my G30 set at loftest loft. Here the Nickluas low spin shines with Snell a not to far off second, the Monsta and Z-Star shorter but we're not talking 15 yards. The Paderson shafts dispersion is noticeably tighter, but I did find on leaky right drives that Z-Star and Monsta seemed to get a way a little more.

Approach spin I'm definitely able to suck back the NIcklaus, Monsta and Z-Star, the Snell would fall under the predictable always next to ballmark category. All 4 exhibit what I would consider tour level spin.

Ball flight Nicklaus and Snell have a flatter trajectory, Monsta and Z-Star have a much higher flight.

Cosmetically Snell, Monsta, Nicklaus seem to scuff/fade at the same rate, the Z-Star definitely holds it looks better.

This is the Snell ball after the recent 18 (which includes all the prior testing)

Jack made a hole in one today, sucked this bad boy back into the hole

6tag-187178820-959016329342072527_187178820.jpg

Once I work my way through my remaining Pro V1x's I'm going to stick with the Snell this year.

Performance wise I don't see much difference and at 32.00 a dozen I don't have to look for Xouts : ).

Has there ever been a review of the Dixon Environmental Golf Ball ...

Looked around and found nothing ... I work on a golf course and even though you have your Golf Ball Finder Addicts ..roaming the golf course in dark stealth clothing, moving without making sounds to find that one perfect new Golf Ball ....they truly never find all the plug balls and yes I am one of those Addicts I wonder it there's a program.... :) ...... anyway I have found balls that come from the 40' 50' and just can't imagine what all this core plastic will do to the environment, if you can imagine how many lost balls there are in the world sinking into the earch every golf season. 

:) Just wondered if MyGolfSpy would investigate how good is this ball ? see dixongolf and not I'm not trying to promote it I am actually wondering if the ball is any good ?

Tks... din't know where to post my question.

Dixon Balls.  Dixon Balls.  Say it five times fast....    Let it sink in.

• Like 3

Definitely Snell MTB in the near future, after I use up my supply of Titleist Tru Soft Balls.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

Played the Nicklaus this weekend. Just awesome off the driver, wedges and putter, but I'm coming up 3-4 yards short with the irons.

Played the Nicklaus this weekend. Just awesome off the driver, wedges and putter, but I'm coming up 3-4 yards short with the irons.

Could be higher compression? Or you're just getting old

Could be higher compression? Or you're just getting old

Both.

It did cost me big time though on 2 holes...

This is awesome.  Thanks.  Can you do this for the major brands premium balls???

What's up with the ONCORE ball. How do they advertise. Are you tired of your shots with your driver running out past your playing partner? Are you tired of wedge shots stopping right where they land. Well, we have the ball for you! Wedge spin with your driver and driver spin with you wedges. That's the holy grail of golf balls, right? ;)

• Like 1

It's awesome that there are balls like the Snell that can be bought online for a better price than the usual suspects, and can produce very similar, or better, results. 

However, at the moment, I use a combo of Pro V1s and Bridgestone B330s and have a dozen or so of them left, so I won't be buying golf balls anytime soon. 

Has anyone tried the Vice Pro + yet. I just played my first round with them after playing prov1x for the last few years and honestly I think the vice have better stopping power o. The greens. To early to tell for sure but I'm defiantly going to keep track in different conditions!!!

What's in the Bag:

Taylormade M1 460

Nike SumoSq 13 degree 3wd

Nike VRS 2.0 Covert Tour 18 degree hybrid

Cobra Fly Z 22 degree hybrid

Taylormade RBladze 5i - PW

Titilest Volkey SM5 50 54 58 wedges

Betinnardi BB series putter

• Like 1

Has anyone tried the Vice Pro + yet. I just played my first round with them after playing prov1x for the last few years and honestly I think the vice have better stopping power o. The greens. To early to tell for sure but I'm defiantly going to keep track in different conditions!!!

What's in the Bag:

Taylormade M1 460

Nike SumoSq 13 degree 3wd

Nike VRS 2.0 Covert Tour 18 degree hybrid

Cobra Fly Z 22 degree hybrid

Taylormade RBladze 5i - PW

Titilest Volkey SM5 50 54 58 wedges

Betinnardi BB series putter

Been real interested in them just haven't gotten around to ordering them, have a lot of srixon golf balls to go through first

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've hit the Monsta ball.  Firm feeling ball but performed adequately.  I prefer something a bit softer for around the greens.

I won't play anything other than a Snell MTB. I've said it a million times and I will say it again - it is just a perfect ball. Couldn't ask for better. Just bought a Snell hat too 😉

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

I've played all these balls more than once on course, feel free to ask away.

Just bought my first box of Snell balls and they are pretty good so far.  I wanted to try the Monsta balls, but I think their website is under construction.  Was Monsta one of the companies that closed up shop after Titleist sent these smaller ball manufacturers a letter? 

• Like 1