TESTERS WANTED! ×

RedFox Audio Review & Music on The Course Poll

GolfSpy Dave

Music on the Course  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion about music on the golf course?

• No music at all.
    • Headphones on the range only.
    • Bring it on. I need tunes on the range, the course, and all other parts of my life.
    • I can go either way on a given day or round.
    • Not sure. Not sure at all...

Just because your ettiquette infraction is one of the newest types of infractions out there and hasn't YET turned into a fiasco, doesn't mean it isn't an infraction of ettiquette. See, most whom have grown up playing this game for decades never imagined people being so brazen about their own "enjoyment" being brought out onto the course like this. Its only in this very me first society we have now that it's suddenly even considered appopriate on the course. So, bad behaviors have led to justifications of all sorts. THAT is why ettiquette is rapidly dying on the vine.

Caddyshack made this very clear. The biggest baffoon on the course did this. Its why it was so funny. Because who could imagine someone out on the course being so self-serving with a car stereo going?

I could care less if its in peoples' own groups. But, to date, their music is heard by others on the course many times in my experience. It almost compounds the ettiquette infractions. Like, not only do they not wait til you clear the box to pull up their cart, you now get to hear their music as they approach. Things like that where they think their music is never heard by anyone. No, its been very noticeable on course up here. Enough so that I have formed this opinion of it. Its already getting to be a problem, and will only get worse.

Edit: post #666. LOL!

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Just because your ettiquette infraction is one of the newest types of infractions out there and hasn't YET turned into a fiasco, doesn't mean it isn't an infraction of ettiquette. See, most whom have grown up playing this game for decades never imagined people being so brazen about their own "enjoyment" being brought out onto the course like this. Its only in this very me first society we have now that it's suddenly even considered appopriate on the course. So, bad behaviors have led to justifications of all sorts. THAT is why ettiquette is rapidly dying on the vine.

Caddyshack made this very clear. The biggest baffoon on the course did this. Its why it was so funny. Because who could imagine someone out on the course being so self-serving with a car stereo going?

I could care less if its in peoples' own groups. But, to date, their music is heard by others on the course many times in my experience. It almost compounds the ettiquette infractions. Like, not only do they not wait til you clear the box to pull up their cart, you now get to hear their music as they approach. Things like that where they think their music is never heard by anyone. No, its been very noticeable on course up here. Enough so that I have formed this opinion of it. Its already getting to be a problem, and will only get worse.

Edit: post #666. LOL!

Calm down judge Smails ;) I don't play my music on speakers and don't force other groups to listen to it as it plays on my cell phone. When we around other groups on the box or the course I turn off my music. And for the record I have "grown up with the game." I have played since I could walk. I just said it wasn't my first sport. I chose college baseball over college golf because I actually had a shot at playing that professionally. My college last few years of college had no golf involved due to other commitments. Just like any other sport, golf has to readily evolve or it will lose money because people won't play. Look at mlb baseball, they aren't evolving at it is steadily losing money and fans. Nfl Football on the other hand continues to change and update things to make it more appealing.

I never said blaring music all over the course was alright so don't try and make it seem that way. There is a big difference in forcing everyone to listen to your music on the course and just playing it.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Lack of money is the issue with participation. This music thing only adds expense.

Golf is the best game I've ever played.

It makes me sad that people insist that it change for reasons other than the true issue, which is financial access for many. People aren't avoiding taking up the game because they can't do whatever they please out there. Its just too expensive.

And I'm not banging away on my keyboard with a frown. Sorry to burst that image for ya. See how far from the truth you get protecting your own self interest here? Again, this is the reaction you get in person when having to ask people to change their behavior. Human nature. Don't put people in that position.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Lack of money is the issue with participation. This music thing only adds expense.

Golf is the best game I've ever played.

It makes me sad that people insist that it change for reasons other than the true issue, which is financial access for many. People aren't avoiding taking up the game because they can't do whatever they please out there. Its just too expensive.

And I'm not banging away on my keyboard with a frown. Sorry to burst that image for ya. See how far from the truth you get protecting your own self interest here? Again, this is the reaction you get in person when having to ask people to change their behavior. Human nature. Don't put people in that position.

Haha how far from the truth am I getting then? Because I believe I'm spot on. Being expensive is definitely a big reason why people don't play. Try playing competitive travel baseball, I bet that's more expensive but tons of people pay for it. People will pay for something if they want it bad enough. I like golf just how it is but that doesn't mean Joe schmo does. And you are doing nothing to convince me that I am wrong for enjoying music while I play. Its actually a recent addition for me, just started this year.

Also how is music adding a suspense? Its already on my smart phone. I'm pretty sure half the 8 year olds I see running around have smart phones lol

So 8 year olds having smart phones is the justification? This is the norm? Sad.

I cringe when I see 8 year olds indoctrinated so early in life. But, its getting to the point some can't remember what life was like even a couple decades ago. This is not progress you're witnessing. Its a technologically-fueled societal regression. And everyone thinks they're so much "smarter" for it. Because you've been told you are. When they show you primates can operate the things, does this make humankind "smart" for being able to use a "smart" phone? Hardly.

When the iWatch is attached to your wrist with a steel band you can't cut off, it won't seem quite as fun. Until then...

"Glute Activator"

So 8 year olds having smart phones is the justification? This is the norm? Sad.

I cringe when I see 8 year olds indoctrinated so early in life. But, its getting to the point some can't remember what life was like even a couple decades ago. This is not progress you're witnessing. Its a technologically-fueled societal regression. And everyone thinks they're so much "smarter" for it. Because you've been told you are. When they show you primates can operate the things, does this make humankind "smart" for being able to use a "smart" phone? Hardly.

When the iWatch is attached to your wrist with a steel band you can't cut off, it won't seem quite as fun. Until then...

I believe we have now gotten off topic lol

Btw I don't like Apple and have no children to give a phone. Also not a super techy person. My only point was that there is was no extra cost in music. It is already on your phone. Which is what I play it off of, not giant speakers. I think the horse has been beaten enough. Neither of us are going to concede anything here.

To me, it's poor form to play music on the course for competitive or counted rounds. I've played with people that play music, I also own a Bose Soundlink.  The only time I'd even consider it kind of okay would be in a scramble where everyone at the course is there to do one of a few things, miss work, have fun or get hammered.  Any time it's outside of that atmosphere, IMO, is inappropriate.  Regardless of whether you think it can be heard outside of your cart or not, someone, somewhere hears it and it bothers them.  It's called common courtesy and that's lacking these days. And I'm not some old fart "get off my lawn" guy.  I'm 32.  I was also taught to be considerate of others and to respect the game and enjoy the walk.  I occasionally smoke a cigar on the course.  Regardless of whether I'm walking or riding, I'll ask people if me smoking a cigar would bother them.  Only if I know the person and know it doesn't bother them (either from knowing they smoke cigars or I've played with them before) will i light up without asking.  It's being considerate of others.  And yes, I've packed my Bose to take to the course before.  And it usually doesn't come out of the bag. The only time I've taken it, though, is when it's a scramble.  And I judge the atmosphere of the scramble before thinking about getting it out of the car.

By the way, it's also a breach of 14-3 to play music on the course to eliminate distractions or promoting a good tempo. The rules specifically cover it and it is permissable between holes briefly to obtain the results of another sporting event or traffic while walking from one green to the next tee box.  If you're listening to music during your rounds, I hope you're not reporting your scores.

http://www.usga.org/rulesfaq/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=151&Rule=14

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I don't disagree with anything you have said Rookie. I would never play music in a competitive tournament environment. We actually aren't aloud electronic aids in the club championship at one of my courses. This to me was a casual play discussion.

But do you report any of the scores where you play music?  If you do, it's in breach of the rules.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

But do you report any of the scores where you play music?  If you do, it's in breach of the rules.

At my club, you can only report your men's game scores to keep your cap at the club. That way you can't sandbag anything or fake your cap because if you do you are costing yourself money. That's the only way I have been keeping my handicap lately so no.

Archived