TESTERS WANTED! ×

Paying A Visit To Hogan HQ Today

Business travel has its advantages -- paying a visit to the Ben Hogan Co. HQ this morning.  Will be meeting with Jeff Harris, their director of marketing...let me know if you have any questions for him...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Sending some envy your way.  Big fan of the Hogan name - played nothing but Apex irons before the set I have now.  Would love to have Hogan back in the bag - so long as it measures-up to what I have used in the past. 

So, the biggest question is this - and know they are working on it...  I am not going to buy a set of clubs at that price point without trying them out.  I am willing to travel locally, but not more than an hour to try them.  I might be willing to put a deposit down to get a demo club to try and send back.  But I am going to have to see/hold/hit the club before I buy a set.  When do they expect to have an infrastructure set-up to sell to a person like me?

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

Yay!  Lucky!!

Is the hosel bore .370 or tapered?  The Recoil shaft offering is lighter than the Genius9 in the SCORs.  Will the swing weight be the same?  Any Hogan I buy has to feel like the SCORs.  How do I get the Hogan's to match the SCORs?  Will the Hogan fitters be able to do that?   Where is the nearest fitter to SE Washington State?  

If you get a chance, talk to Jamie Pipes.  Hogan hired him from UST and is an expert in the UST shafts.  Is there a plan to have UST produce a specific graphite shaft for Hogan like the Genius series for the SCOR?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yeah - what Kenny said.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Interesting question that you raise Kenny - it was one of the first things we talked about.

Jeff Harris, the marketing director, says they have what they call the HoganPromise. He said it may sound like marketing speak but as a startup, they don't want you unhappy. If you're inhappynwith the setup within 30 days - be it shafts, lofts, lies, compatibility, they'll donwhat they have to do make it right for you.

The way I took it was if the shafts aren't to your liking, or you don't like the gapping, they'll set you up with shafts that will fit you better, or be more compatible with your existing wedges, etc.

Talked with 3 different people and each repeated the mantra that they are, and have to be, focused on the consumer and their needs. As a small startup, they can't afford not to be.

Couple of other quick impressions - more detail will come later - there is a passion about their brand - there are lots of former Hogan employees working for the new company, and they obviously hold Mr. Hogan (everyone calls him Mr Hogan) in very high esteem. It may sound trite, but they always ask " what would Mr. Hogan do?"

Lots of great stuff to share. Will get to it once this plane gets off the ground.

Downside - very few pix. They're moving into a portion of the old Fort Worth Stsr Telegram building, and it's in the midst of remodeling - so there's very little to see there

They' have a small club assembly area - but when they're finished it will

Be pretty impressive. The plans for the fitting experience area are VERY cool.

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Not currently - like pretty much everyone else, they're sourcing their forgings overseas.  Never know what the future may bring, though....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Let's hope that something good will come from this once great brand again. 

For my money, a premium forged blade in their line up is a must - anything else and they'd be just the brand name with no soul IMO. 

I think that's what they're offering now - and from the folks I spoke with today - the "get it." Lots of folks who were with Hogan in the old days and know what the brand means. From what I could see, they're taking it VERY seriously.  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I like this idea, they should send MGS an iron (around a 7) for forum members to try but in order to try it, maybe a small donation to MGS can be the price for a trial.

Great idea! Except maybe give options for one iron that is 3-w. You have to pay for shipping both ways and make a donation to MGS. If you do not return the club in say 3 weeks, you are charged the full price of it. This way no negatives for anyone!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

You may be onto something there undershooter.....this is a great way for mgs members to try it out while Hogan is still trying to set up their network.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Hmmmmmmm.....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

It is a great idea but in order for it to succeed you will have to have at least 3 options - a steel shafted S and R and a graphite shafted R (possibly an S as well.)  I'd suggested something around a 30 degree loft.

I'd be willing to fork over something to try it for a week and pass it on. 

I was wondering if there was any talk about consideration for current SCOR owners.  I received a preferred customer taking orders email the other day - that's nice but not all that helpful - the way I see the pricing I would be paying around $650 for 4 clubs and that's not going to happen.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

A few years ago, Cleveland sent out 6 irons with special instructions taped to the shaft.  After you tried it out, you went online and registered the number and your findings, then you passed it on to your friend or neighbor.  They were supposed to do the same thing.  The end result was a bunch of people got to try out the Cleveland iron and you could go online to see where it had traveled to.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I like this idea, they should send MGS an iron (around a 7) for forum members to try but in order to try it, maybe a small donation to MGS can be the price for a trial. 

It's a nice idea, but I know that the iron would not fit my swing and from what I have gleaned from this site about some other members, it wouldn't fit their swings either.  Several here have upright swings, I have a flat swing.  If Hogan wants to make sure that each person has the best experience with their club, then the club would have to be fit for each person's swing.  I don't see them sending MGS a 34 for trial. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well, if this does come about, we won't trouble you with it Kenny....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Too funny Barbajo

Normally when you are fit for a club you start out at neutral.  The purpose of the demo club wouldn't be to have a club that is going to stay in anyone's bag, it's just so that we could have the opportunity to hit some sort of Hogan 6/7 like iron.  I love the idea and would be more than happy to take a crack at it so long as the shaft were graphite.  I'd even be happy if it were graphite S - I'd get enough of a sense at least.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I got an email from Bridgestone yesterday announcing that they're starting a demo program along these lines.

Have you tried Bridgestone Golf's new Test Drive program?  We ship new J15 demos to you! 
•Choose from over 100 unique sets with tons of shaft options
•Enter your information and pay a small shipping fee to your desired delivery address
•Try the clubs out for 21 days
•Feel free to have your local fitter bend the clubs to your preferred lies/lofts ensuring the perfect fit
•Re-package the clubs and send them back to Bridgestone using the INCLUDED pre-paid postage label
It's that simple.  Try today: http://testdrive.bridgestonegolf.com 

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Too funny Barbajo

Normally when you are fit for a club you start out at neutral.  The purpose of the demo club wouldn't be to have a club that is going to stay in anyone's bag, it's just so that we could have the opportunity to hit some sort of Hogan 6/7 like iron.  I love the idea and would be more than happy to take a crack at it so long as the shaft were graphite.  I'd even be happy if it were graphite S - I'd get enough of a sense at least.

I would guess it would be a steel shaft if I read the majority of MGS'ers correctly, so I am fine with not getting it. If Hogan truly wants us to have the best possible experience with their clubs, they will send a club that at is close to our specs. Basic fitting carts at golf stores at least have that. Sure, I can swing a std club and get a feel, but I have hit them with mostly poor results. I can eliminate steel shafts, and I head straight to the flat lie graphite shafts. I will find a Hogan fitter somewhere that has more options.

I would guess it would be a steel shaft if I read the majority of MGS'ers correctly, so I am fine with not getting it. If Hogan truly wants us to have the best possible experience with their clubs, they will send a club that at is close to our specs. Basic fitting carts at golf stores at least have that. Sure, I can swing a std club and get a feel, but I have hit them with mostly poor results. I can eliminate steel shafts, and I head straight to the flat lie graphite shafts. I will find a Hogan fitter somewhere that has more options.

I think that would be a good approach for you.  I also think you're overanalyzing.  This was an idea one of our forum members came up with to at least give the Hogan a try.  It's NOT a "Hogan" program.  I haven't even approached Hogan about the idea yet!   It's not meant to be a proper demo or a fitting, for goodness sakes! But if a member wants to at least hit one -- for fun - I really don't see what the harm is. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I think that would be a good approach for you.  I also think you're overanalyzing.  This was an idea one of our forum members came up with to at least give the Hogan a try.  It's NOT a "Hogan" program.  I haven't even approached Hogan about the idea yet!   It's not meant to be a proper demo or a fitting, for goodness sakes! But if a member wants to at least hit one -- for fun - I really don't see what the harm is.

The harm is not to me. I was thinking about Hogan. Using me as an example, someone who plays SCORs and loves them, if I hit a std steel shafted Hogan that's passed around and it doesn't feel right and I don't hit it well, would I even go try one that is better fitted? I don't know, maybe. Someone else may say no, it's crap. I just don't think that's what Ben Hogan Golf wants given what you said about their commitment to the Ben Hogan name.

You're entitled to your opinion Kenny, and I respect that.  My opinion is that there's really no reason to overanalyze this.  It's no different than, say, the PGA Show Demo Day.  Every manufacturer had a crapload of clubs for people to hit.  No one - and I mean no one - was worried about lie, type of shaft, etc...everyone just wanted to hit clubs to get a feel for them.  That's all.  

Point, counterpoint, now let's move on....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived