TESTERS WANTED! ×

Bridgestone Test Drive Program

wbealsd posted this is another thread -- not sure if we've discussed it, but we should. 

Personally, I think this is brilliant!

"I got an email from Bridgestone yesterday announcing that they're starting a demo program along these lines.

Have you tried Bridgestone Golf's new Test Drive program?  We ship new J15 demos to you! 
•Choose from over 100 unique sets with tons of shaft options
•Enter your information and pay a small shipping fee to your desired delivery address
•Try the clubs out for 21 days
•Feel free to have your local fitter bend the clubs to your preferred lies/lofts ensuring the perfect fit
•Re-package the clubs and send them back to Bridgestone using the INCLUDED pre-paid postage label
It's that simple.  Try today: http://testdrive.bridgestonegolf.com"

Would you participate?  If it's all free with shipping prepaid, what's the downside?  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a great idea, now if they had something like Netflix for golf it would be awesome

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'm actually considering it, but I'll wait until our weather gets consistent enough that I can really take advantage of it.

Now that I've ordered new shafts for my irons, I think I'll be postponing any major changes for awhile anyway.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Now that I've ordered new shafts for my irons, I think I'll be postponing any major changes for awhile anyway.

Famous last words!!!!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I think it's a brilliant idea frankly but there is a downside.  It means 3 weeks of not practicing or playing with your gamers.  One of my concerns from early last season was that I was going through irons so quickly I was never giving them a chance - I was becoming the Oakland Raiders of the golfing world. 

For me it takes about a month until I'm comfortable with a set of irons - perhaps even more than that if the month is not a time where I'm playing competitive golf. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Famous last words!!!!

I say that a LOT! - lol

I will say that playing in January this year, really showed me how fast I can lose my "chops" (and how HEAVY my clubs felt after a few holes).  I started regularly practicing indoors as soon as I got back home and got my bag evaluated this spring, which resulted in re-shafting most of my bag (Paderson in driver, Genius back in wedges, KZG graphite in irons, etc).

Just hitting the clubs that are already re-shafted yesterday at the range, I was swinging with more confidence and consistency than I ended the season with last year!

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Its a great idea, now if they had something like Netflix for golf it would be awesome

Sounds like we're starting a business!

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I was becoming the Oakland Raiders of the golfing world.

Better than being the Jacksonville Jaguars, I suppose...

Here's a way to look at it -- if you were in the market for new irons, would you have the opportunity to try anything, free of charge, for 21 days?  And have a fitter customize them to your needs?  And then send them back postage paid?  To me, that's game changing.  If it's successful, would other companies offer something similar?

When you're trying to gain market share, a unique idea like this is pretty intriguing.  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Werent they already doing this?  I looked into it but they put a $700 hold on your credit card until you return the clubs and they confirm that they werent damaged.  No thanks.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Bridgestone might be on to something. Maybe. Perhaps. Possibly. Hmm? For some people I guess. Assuming that I was in the market for a new set of irons I couldn't take them to my fitter. Or, I should say I wouldn't take them. I think it would be insulting. His livelihood and career is build on fitting and building clubs. He only sells a few select brands none of which include Bridgestone. He's not in the business of bending and adjusting clubs for guys that show up off the street. And I'd bet if he was asked to do so the cost would chase them away. Not that bending clubs is necessarily expensive it's that he'd price it to discourage the practice. I think Bridgestone is attempting a cleaver ploy by asking golfers to take a set of their clubs to be fitted by a club maker that will not get a sale. Except for a charge to fit and bend a set of clubs. Quality professional club makers don't base their business on that premise alone. Perhaps at more of a retail setting like an Edwin Watts or Nevada Bob's type of outlet that has a loft and lie machine this might work. Most I've seen aren't really setup to fit clubs properly. Additionally and assuming that an outfit like Cool Clubs for example (Cool Clubs may not even sell Bridgestone for all I know) does sells Bridgestone do you think they are going to be Bridgestone's chumps and bend some clubs and lose out on actually selling the irons? I seriously doubt it. Conclusion.... this is a marketing stunt that will fail.

EDIT: The more I think about this the worse it sounds. What if the shafts are wrong?  It's not just ordering a Stiff or R flex. What does that mean anyway? Can they be cut or replaced at no additional cost? What if the weighting needs adjusting? How about different grips? What if during bending a club breaks or cracks? Getting fit properly is so much more that just bending. Way more. This whole idea is a crock meant for dupes.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I like this idea. Bridgestone may have a good idea here for those of us who don't have tons of options. I loved my j36 pro combos. Great looking irons

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Wow, a chance to hit a set of clubs for free for 21 days, especially ones that are hard to find in stores.  What a nightmare!!!  :lol:  :lol:

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

If it's all free with shipping prepaid, what's the downside?  

Right now, it appears that 20 of those days we would have rain. Program sounds interesting, it is my weather that I am upset with.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Nice way to not supply irons to retailers.

Definitely limitations. The only overlength options I saw were +1 inch.

Cost savings for Bstone marketed as being for your benefit.

Have a head go flying during testing and take out your buddy? Who's responsible at that point? Bstone? The fitter that bent them? They're pushing a legal envelope there. Surprising it got the green light.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Nice way to not supply irons to retailers.

Definitely limitations. The only overlength options I saw were +1 inch.

Cost savings for Bstone marketed as being for your benefit.

Have a head go flying during testing and take out your buddy? Who's responsible at that point? Bstone? The fitter that bent them? They're pushing a legal envelope there. Surprising it got the green light.

So let's pretend that you play a round of golf at a club that supplies Bstone clubs and you say to yourself "hey id like to give those a go." So you ask the pro and he throws one together for you and you take it out. 2 holes in you hit a shot and the head goes flying off!

Whose responsible?

Same questions still are in play. Absolutely no difference.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I see an upside for this, both for Bridgestone and local fitters, at least in areas like mine. 

The local fitter I use checks and adjusts loft/lie for people all the time and will do fittings for any brand of clubs you bring in.  If you want to try different shafts, he can put an adaptor on your club and you can try different shafts, but you'll pay for the service.

You have the option of either paying a fitting charge, or having it waived if you make a purchase from them.

If I decided I wanted to purchase a set of Bridgestones after I demo'd them, I'd simply have him place the order and have him check the specs for me when they were delivered.

Granted, some folks will buy their clubs off eBay or direct from Bridgestone, but they'd do that anyway.  The fitter will get paid for any work he does for you, if you have them fit or adjusted while you have them to demo.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Better than being the Jacksonville Jaguars, I suppose...

Here's a way to look at it -- if you were in the market for new irons, would you have the opportunity to try anything, free of charge, for 21 days?  And have a fitter customize them to your needs?  And then send them back postage paid?  To me, that's game changing.  If it's successful, would other companies offer something similar?

When you're trying to gain market share, a unique idea like this is pretty intriguing.

You asked what could go wrong, I was answering, I still think it's a great idea but nothing is fool proof. If I were in the market for new irons I would certainly give these a try simply because of this program. I would not have the,bent to spec though because no one is doing that gratis and 8 irons would be $200.

I wish them well.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

You asked what could go wrong, I was answering, I still think it's a great idea but nothing is fool proof. If I were in the market for new irons I would certainly give these a try simply because of this program. I would not have the,bent to spec though because no one is doing that gratis and 8 irons would be $200.

I wish them well.

Good Lord does king midus do you club work?

So how does anyone know what shafts and specs to order in the first place?

This is the elephant in the room that Bridgestone have clearly overlooked. Just about every golfer I know thinks they know what they should be playing, but in reality there is often a gulf between their aspirations and their ability. Cue the hapless individual ordering an ill-fitting X-flex shaft because he doesn't want to look silly against the other guys on the 1st tee.

Other than incidental sales that may arise from such a frankly lazy approach to custom fittings from Bridgestone, I can't see any benefit whatsoever. I've said it before, but there are no short cuts to custom fitting - and you will only receive a level of fitting comparative to the amount of effort you are willing to put in yourself. If that means guessing by mail order, then expect something equally as vague in return.

If you subsequently have to have lofts and lies tweaked and shafts swapped out with different flexes and lengths and weights - then what was the point of ordering anything in the post in the first place?

Quite simply, you may as well have gone to your fitter in the first place - duh. 

Nice try Bridgestone, but this makes as much sense as your ball fitting program - which is none to anybody with a small amount of common sense.

Jas I don't disagree with your comment but I don't believe that bridgestones point is to send you a set of irons that are perfectly fit. It's to let you try this particular set of irons as if you were at a demo day only for an extended period and with all the irons. If along the way you wanted to have the lies tweaked to your specs, go ahead.

Most people will request what they are currently using in regards to shaf flex so at least it will be somewhat of an apples to apples comparison.

This just made me think of a fitting question that I will ask in a separate thread.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Granted, this is more of a demo program rather than a fitting program. 

Maybe this is a result of Bridgestone struggling to find their way into proshop accounts - send them by post instead to connect to the consumer.

Oddly enough, having visited the Bridgestone website it looks like most of the more popular combos are booked out and awaiting return, so clearly some have took Bridgestone up on their offer. The downside is the most popular combos are usually booked out awaiting return - a self-perpetuating problem perhaps.

Either way, I still find it a rather cynical slap dash way to promote a brand and connect it to new customers. Those who take it up are probably the greater percentage of golfers anyway who can't be bothered to seek proper consultation and fitting (and demo) of new clubs at a professional location.

But in a world that likes internet shopping and drive-thru convenience it doesn't surprise me in the least.

What percentage of golfers actually DO get fit for their clubs?  After all, there are a lot of boutique brands that are almost exclusively available online and almost every OEM has some kind of "online fitting" section on their website.  Nobody gets fit for the clubs they buy on eBay.  What percentage of "fitters" in big box stores are really knowledgeable enough to be considered professional fitters?

There's certainly more awareness and interest in club fitting than there was a few years ago, but I suspect the average golfer still purchases their clubs based more on advertising and what's on "The Hot List" than through a truly professional fitting.

Just the fact Bridgestone will get their clubs into the hands of some people that might not otherwise have a chance to demo their clubs, will probably pay off for them.  Anyone that has the clubs to demo will likely let their friends hit them, more people will become aware of the brand, some people will start asking their local shops about them, good PR, etc.

Their ball fitting program actually does make a lot of sense, to Bridgestone anyway, since it got a lot more people to start playing their brand (whether it's actually the best ball for them to play, is another matter entirely).

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

What has got everyone so pissy about this idea? Do you ever demo a club in person that has been perfectly fit for you? That's all this is. A different way to demo them. And they're letting you demo a set for three weeks, not one club in a hitting bay for a few minutes.

Why does everyone have to bash it like it's a bad idea or something? If you're not interested, don't participate. If enough people don't don't participate, they may not continue the program, or maybe they will. It would certainly be a good good way get to people who don't live near a store or fitter. Either way it's just another option out there. Options are good. Geez, nothing to get worked up over.

I've always liked their irons, but this is pretty blatantly a cost-saving measure on their part to skip the retail model.

You do too many things like this and people start to feel every cent is measured for profit. That's kind of the way the biz has been going for a while, and peoples' reactions to such practices will be mixed. Considering the global Bstone fortune, it feels cheap on their part.

Don't call people "pissy" for having well-formed opinions. That is unfair.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I've always liked their irons, but this is pretty blatantly a cost-saving measure on their part to skip the retail model.

You do too many things like this and people start to feel every cent is measured for profit. That's kind of the way the biz has been going for a while, and peoples' reactions to such practices will be mixed. Considering the global Bstone fortune, it feels cheap on their part.

Don't call people "pissy" for having well-formed opinions. That is unfair.

How many people will actually utilize the program though? I buy more than my fair share of golf equipment including owning a set of Bridgestone irons and I never knew this was even available. It doesn't seem like they are saving much money to the consumer if only a small percentage of their sales are done this way. Wouldn't you think it would be less than 5%? I'm seriously guessing here but I spend a lot of time looking at golf equipment and never knew this was available until a few days ago.

How many people will actually utilize the program though? I buy more than my fair share of golf equipment including owning a set of Bridgestone irons and I never knew this was even available. It doesn't seem like they are saving much money to the consumer if only a small percentage of their sales are done this way. Wouldn't you think it would be less than 5%? I'm seriously guessing here but I spend a lot of time looking at golf equipment and never knew this was available until a few days ago.

I'd never heard of it either, until I got the email about it.

I really don't know what their overall presence is in retail outlets, I can only recall seeing one set of their iron sets on display in my area and it's been on the wall for 2 years.

Frankly, for me to have the opportunity to demo their clubs this way, makes a lot of sense for me.  I'd love to have the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks with clubs I'm considering, and actually use them on courses I play.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

As always, read the terms.

http://testdrive.bridgestonegolf.com/corporate/terms

Your 21 day rental period starts the moment you click yourself through checkout. Shipping times back and forth are included. If your demos are not received by 5PM on the 21st day, you get charged the full hold amount on your card, which is nearly the cost of a full set of irons.

Then, if you have any disputes, you will be ironically using "JAMS, Inc." a mediation firm of their choosing to do battle with.

Caveat emptor. Holy s***. Pathetic.

Didn't notice any privacy terms outlined either. They get to sell your data, more than likely to make more money, given they have all your info after checkout.

Perusing some complaints over the years against "JAMS" and how they stack everything in the favor of their corporate partners with hand-picked arbitrators and contractual obligations to find in favor of their clients, you'd be well-served to avoid this.

"Glute Activator"

I'm sure they do that to cover their own asses. It's just like warranty's on clubs. They usually fix any problems I ever have no questions asked. Even though warranty shouldn't cover some things.

Maybe I'm wrong though. They could just be trying to screw people.

Archived