Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Song Birdie Wireless Speaker

I was in the pro shop today for an extended period waiting on the rain to stop. Which it didn't by the way. Therefore, I'm back home making posts on MGS.

As I browsed around the shop I noticed a display for the Song Birdie Wireless speaker. Here's what their website says of the speaker;

Most speakers of this size only produce the very high notes, some even the mids but that is all you get. But, if you are looking for a more traditional compact mobile speaker that small in size and big in sound, look no further than the amazing “Song Birdie”. The speakers small enough to fit in the palm of your hand and will easily fit in your suitcase, purse and even your coat pocket. You name it, the speaker is completely portable. You can now listen to your music when you want and where you want. 

These types of speakers are neither amazing or sound all that good. I know because I have a pair of them. They're directly marketing their "amazing" Song Birdie to golfers. Why else make it in the cutesy golf ball design complete with dimples. And they will even put your course logo on them. UGH. I personally don't think music should be played on the course. And certainly not for all to hear. In fact, I think music on the course should be banned. But it's not going to be. Yeah sure... where I play they have "rules" about keeping the volume low so as to not disturb those around you. Right. How's that been working out? Is Highway to Hell meant to be played softly?

This post is just about something I saw and thought about today. In the current poll that is up on the site I voted NO to music. I think that vote is still leading.

20150321_090744.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I took time out of my last visit to Golf Galaxy to let them know how much I disapprove of their selling these things in their store, prominently displayed at the checkout line, no less. They had blank looks on their faces of course, but I felt better saying something anyway. It would be one thing if it filtered onto the course via other stores. But specifically making this seem acceptable is over the top WRONG.

Ricky Flower's on my list too for promoting a Cobra specific one.

When did golf become so boring we need these electronic distractions?

I don't run into many good golfers who listen to music on course. (Ya, I know, you and your buddies, yada yada.)

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I took time out of my last visit to Golf Galaxy to let them know how much I disapprove of their selling these things in their store, prominently displayed at the checkout line, no less. They had blank looks on their faces of course, but I felt better saying something anyway. It would be one thing if it filtered onto the course via other stores. But specifically making this seem acceptable is over the top WRONG.

Ricky Flower's on my list too for promoting a Cobra specific one.

When did golf become so boring we need these electronic distractions?

I don't run into many good golfers who listen to music on course. (Ya, I know, you and your buddies, yada yada.)

How old are you?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I don't know how old anyone is on this site and don't care. Golf is ageless. But if anyone does care (Theoo) .... I for one am 60 yo. Most of the people I see blasting music are younger. As in 40 and under. One guy I play with (42yo) wears wireless ear buds of some type. He enjoys his music privately. I'm glad too because I asked him once what he listens to and it wouldn't be my preferred choice. I've also observed that most guys that are playing their music aren't usually that good of golfers. Okay, I'll say it... they're Hackers. But that's just my on personal observation. And no... I'm not that great either. Average maybe? Depends.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

I don't know how old anyone is on this site and don't care. Golf is ageless. But if anyone does care (Theoo) .... I for one am 60 yo. Most of the people I see blasting music are younger. As in 40 and under. One guy I play with (42yo) wears wireless ear buds of some type. He enjoys his music privately. I'm glad too because I asked him once what he listens to and it wouldn't be my preferred choice. I've also observed that most guys that are playing their music aren't usually that good of golfers. Okay, I'll say it... they're Hackers. But that's just my on personal observation. And no... I'm not that great either. Average maybe? Depends.

I asked not to be rude but because it seems like those who like or don't mind music while playing seem to be younger and the ones who hate it seem to be older. Nothing wrong with either just a trend I noticed.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

There are plenty of good golfers who listen to music on the course, I've played with some very good golfers around my age (19) and they listen to music. I can understand how someone blasting their music is frustrating but playing it a low level so others don't hear isn't a bad thing. Plus it was mentioned that people play music because golf is boring, this isn't the case. If I thought golf was boring, music wouldn't make it any better. People play music to enhance their experience and add a little more fun to their round. It's like listening to music while running. If you don't like to run in the first place, listening to music isn't going to make you want to run. Listening to music can make running more enjoyable but those people who partake in that activity will do it with or without music because either way, they enjoy running as is.

It's like listening to music while running. If you don't like to run in the first place, listening to music isn't going to make you want to run. Listening to music can make running more enjoyable but those people who partake in that activity will do it with or without music because either way, they enjoy running as is.

Mmmm not exactly. I don't recall seeing or hearing anyone running with a speaker hanging around their neck or strapped to their hip. Runners use some type of ear buds or head phones. I don't hear it. Look everyone... I get that music on the course is here to stay. Thankfully, I don't rule the world. (you wouldn't like it. lol)  I also get that I'm older than many of you may be. I just find it disrespectful. It's annoying quite frankly to have to listen to someones music on the golf course. Especially music I may not even like. That's all. Show some respect for everyone.

There are plenty of good golfers who listen to music on the course, I've played with some very good golfers around my age (19) and they listen to music. I can understand how someone blasting their music is frustrating but playing it a low level so others don't hear isn't a bad thing. Plus it was mentioned that people play music because golf is boring, this isn't the case. If I thought golf was boring, music wouldn't make it any better. People play music to enhance their experience and add a little more fun to their round. It's like listening to music while running. If you don't like to run in the first place, listening to music isn't going to make you want to run. Listening to music can make running more enjoyable but those people who partake in that activity will do it with or without music because either way, they enjoy running as is.

I'm twice your age, and I listen to music when I play by myself (which I do fairly frequently).  I use the speaker in my smartphone right now, but I've thought about getting a small bluetooth speaker to strap to my push cart.  I pause the music when I'm near other golfers, but when I'm out in the middle of nowhere on the course by myself, who cares?

I don't listen to anything if I'm playing with someone else.  My taste in music is a little unconventional.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

How old are you?

Old enough to know better. ;) :lol:

Many whom have been playing the music were older than myself, so you'll have to put away the age card. That's like asking how old are you if you have an iPhone in this day and age. People older than me play lots of video game and whatnot.

I use a laser rangefinder. My Jeep has satellite wifi, bluetooth, and can probably scratch my ass for me with a button push I have yet to discover. I worked I.T. for over a decade.

I am not anti-technology. I am pro on-course ettitquette. B)

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm twice your age, and I listen to music when I play by myself (which I do fairly frequently).  I use the speaker in my smartphone right now, but I've thought about getting a small bluetooth speaker to strap to my push cart.  I pause the music when I'm near other golfers, but when I'm out in the middle of nowhere on the course by myself, who cares?

I don't listen to anything if I'm playing with someone else.  My taste in music is a little unconventional.

I've listened to radio shows on the golf course. But anytime I play near or around anyone, I turn it off.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

• 2 weeks later...

How old are you?

I'm 33 (just turned 33) and I think it's disrespectful as it gets on the course.  And it's also against the rules of golf.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I think this has been hashed out enough on another post. Everyone has their point of view for recreational golf. I'm 26 and recently started listening to music while playing. Does this mean I'm a bad golfer or disrespectful? Go find one member of my club that thinks this and I would be very surprised. Everyone needs to respect others and not play music too loud or bother others with things that they do. THIS EXTENDS WELL BEYOND MUSIC in my opionion. I force no one to listen to my music unless they want to or request it and I expect no less from anyone else. The idea that music while play is for bad golfers is idiotic to me purely because I only started doing it because a 50 something year old guy I play with does it to pass the ample wait time at my course between shots. He is a low handicap such as myself and I thought, "hey nice idea and way better than sitting on my ass bored bc this is a 5 hour round."

Everyone has their own preference for they way things should be. Don't disrespect others and everything will be just fine... Btw if more people worried about an enjoyable round rather than posting a 81 versus an 84 they would probably post better scores. This from someone whose worst round in nearly 2 months is a 79 on a course with a course rating of 73.9 and a slope of 131. I guess I'm a "bad golfer."

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Okay, so here is the Rule & Decision regarding playing while listening to music......  

14-3/17    Player Listens to Music or Broadcast During Round

Q.A player uses a device to listen to music, a radio broadcast or any other type of broadcast during a stipulated round. What is the ruling?

A.Under Rule 14-3a, a player may not use any artificial device or unusual equipment that "might assist him in making a stroke or in his play." Listening to music or a broadcast while making a stroke or for a prolonged period might assist the player in his play, for example, by eliminating distractions or promoting a good tempo. Therefore, the use of an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast, whether or not through headphones, while making a stroke or for a prolonged period of time during a stipulated round is a breach of Rule 14-3. However, it would not be a breach of Rule 14-3 for a player to listen to a device briefly, for example, to obtain the results of another sporting event or traffic information, while walking between the putting green of one hole and the teeing ground of the next hole.

A Committee will have to consider all available facts and circumstances in determining whether a player using an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast has done so for a prolonged period such that the action might have assisted the player in his play.

There is no restriction on listening to music or other broadcasts while practicing (whether on the practice ground or on the golf course, and whether by oneself or while playing with others), although club rules and disciplinary codes could apply in such circumstances.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I think this has been hashed out enough on another post. Everyone has their point of view for recreational golf. I'm 26 and recently started listening to music while playing. Does this mean I'm a bad golfer or disrespectful? Go find one member of my club that thinks this and I would be very surprised. Everyone needs to respect others and not play music too loud or bother others with things that they do. THIS EXTENDS WELL BEYOND MUSIC in my opionion. I force no one to listen to my music unless they want to or request it and I expect no less from anyone else. The idea that music while play is for bad golfers is idiotic to me purely because I only started doing it because a 50 something year old guy I play with does it to pass the ample wait time at my course between shots. He is a low handicap such as myself and I thought, "hey nice idea and way better than sitting on my ass bored bc this is a 5 hour round."

Everyone has their own preference for they way things should be. Don't disrespect others and everything will be just fine... Btw if more people worried about an enjoyable round rather than posting a 81 versus an 84 they would probably post better scores. This from someone whose worst round in nearly 2 months is a 79 on a course with a course rating of 73.9 and a slope of 131. I guess I'm a "bad golfer."

I didn't say it was for bad golfers in any post. I said it's for self-centered people that aren't considerate of others. Sound travels, regardless of whether you think it does or not, it does. But how many people, when put in a position they really don't want to be in in the first place, are going to come up to complete strangers and say "can you turn that off"? Not many

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Okay, so here is the Rule & Decision regarding playing while listening to music......  

14-3/17    Player Listens to Music or Broadcast During Round

Q.A player uses a device to listen to music, a radio broadcast or any other type of broadcast during a stipulated round. What is the ruling?

A.Under Rule 14-3a, a player may not use any artificial device or unusual equipment that "might assist him in making a stroke or in his play." Listening to music or a broadcast while making a stroke or for a prolonged period might assist the player in his play, for example, by eliminating distractions or promoting a good tempo. Therefore, the use of an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast, whether or not through headphones, while making a stroke or for a prolonged period of time during a stipulated round is a breach of Rule 14-3. However, it would not be a breach of Rule 14-3 for a player to listen to a device briefly, for example, to obtain the results of another sporting event or traffic information, while walking between the putting green of one hole and the teeing ground of the next hole.

A Committee will have to consider all available facts and circumstances in determining whether a player using an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast has done so for a prolonged period such that the action might have assisted the player in his play.

There is no restriction on listening to music or other broadcasts while practicing (whether on the practice ground or on the golf course, and whether by oneself or while playing with others), although club rules and disciplinary codes could apply in such circumstances.

I'm aware of the rule foz but 98% of golfers do not follow the rules of golf in a recreational round. This isn't a competitive golf question.

I didn't say it was for bad golfers in any post. I said it's for self-centered people that aren't considerate of others. Sound travels, regardless of whether you think it does or not, it does. But how many people, when put in a position they really don't want to be in in the first place, are going to come up to complete strangers and say "can you turn that off"? Not many

I'm not trying to imply that you did rookie but it was said quite a few times before in this thread. I'm very aware of sound traveling and I know what I have to do on my course not to bother others. Everyone should be considerate and make sure they don't bother other players. I know what I have to do to keep from bothering others. I also don't own any of these speakers so sorry for thread jacking.

Archived