TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fittings

I've got a question and we are fortunate enough to have some fitters on our site so perhaps they will chime in. Not counting the so called fittings that I've had from Pings chart when I got my Eye2s to here try this driver until we found one that worked, I've had four comprehensive fittings in my life. Three were associated with clubs that I was getting and one was an evaluation of my overall set.

Two of those four fittings included an interview about my game, one was with my teacher so no interview was necessary and the final one was with a guy who didn't want to know anything but what the numbers on his monitor were telling him.

So here's the question, what happens if I'm hitting it like crap on the day of my fitting or conversely what happens if I'm killing it? Frankly the like crap one scares me more because killing it for me would be optimum consistency, it's not as if I'd be adding 5 mph to my swing speed or loading the shft differently.

My teacher and I did two fittings just to be sure and in the case of the comprehensive fitting the price included a second check after the clubs were tweaked. BTW the greatest gain there was with the putter.

So what happens if I go for a fitting and I'm laying an egg that day?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

You're screwed? Honestly, I have no idea...maybe reschedule the fitting if possible.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I've only had two fittings. The first one was somewhat of a joke looking back on it. More of a hybrid "retail" fitting. My second one was full complete iron fitting. I did the research and interviews prior to selecting my current fitter. My fitter has 30 years of experience and has made a successful career of fitting and building golf clubs. He's nationally recognized within the profession and been honored with numerous awards by his peers and the golf industry as a whole. The guy is rock solid. I was fit this past August for irons and wedges only. On the day of my fitting how was I hitting the ball? I'd have to conclude I hitting the ball well. I hit a number clunkers as well as many flushed shots. Could I have performed better that day? Maybe. Maybe not. To be honest I never really have a day where every shot is awful or struck pure. It's always a mixed bag to some extent. Allowances were made during my fitting to account for poorly struck shots. Additionally, I didn't pound balls endlessly until my performance dropped off. I hit enough shots with various shaft and head combinations for my fitter to be able to make his determination through data and observation what I needed. As best I can tell he was spot on with the irons he finally built for me. I've never owned a set of clubs that performed and felt so good.

This coming Friday I'll be back at my fitter for a Driver and FW/Hybrid fitting. I'll have my full bag with me and he'll also measure my irons and make any tweaks if necessary. I'm excited to be completing my bag with all custom fit and built clubs. It's worth every penny in my opinion.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I think it would depend on the experience of the fitter. Some don't need to see a lot to find the right fit. I know when I was fit for my driver it took 3 swings once we found the right shaft.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I have a fitting coming up on Tuesday. Haven't swung a club since my last round circa November 8th I want to say.

I've been in poor health, slept on my left wrist wrong, and have no idea how I'll be swinging. This is as "blind" a scenario as I can think of going into a fitting. My chances of swinging well I put at next to none, but I'm gonna give it a go and see what happens. (I need the specs to order a G30.) At least if my health continues to suck, I'll have a driver appropriate for my new feable swing. (I'm guessing; can't wait to see what my SS is these days. #Sarcasm.)

It's gonna be interesting. I've known the fitter for over 10 years. They used to just chuckle at my carry distances. They'll probably wonder what the hell happened to me.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I would think it would be best to just come back the next day if it's truly that bad. The day of my iron fitting last year I had probably the best swing day of the year. I was hitting it dead straight consistently and could turn it both ways at will.. I wish that days swing would return and stay :(

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I think it would depend on the experience of the fitter. Some don't need to see a lot to find the right fit. I know when I was fit for my driver it took 3 swings once we found the right shaft.

Totally agree Theoo. During my August fitting I recall commenting to my fitter... "that's it?" I was a fairly easy guy to fit. I spent more time just talking and asking questions than actually hitting shot after shot. If I recall... he said it's harder for him to fit higher handicappers. But, he can provide more dramatic improvements for those guys. For me my fitting produced better more solid center club-face impact, better feel, and much improved tighter shot dispersion and ball flight. Improved distance a little. Not huge but some. Also, prior to my fitting he'd provided me with a record sheet and asked that I measure and record all my shots for 4-5 rounds. I did that and emailed the results to him. So he studied my data and from our prior discussions had a good initial feel what we were both looking to accomplish. It worked out beautifully. An experienced club fitter pays off big. It's much more than just launch monitor data. It's a trained and experienced pair of eyes too.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I would think it would be best to just come back the next day if it's truly that bad. The days of my iron fitting last year I had probably the best swing day of the year. I was hitting it dead straight consistently and could turn it both ways at will.. I wish that days swing would return and stay :(

Hitting off astroturf for the fitting by any chance?

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Hitting off astroturf for the fitting by any chance?

We did both. Turf on flightscope to pick shaft and then went to grass to try and choose the head I preferred. My swing was in a very good place then and my putter in a very bad place. Later in the year the putter heated up and swing went to crap.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

At Wilson the screen wasn't working (they had just brought it back from the PGA Show), but the launch monitor was hooked up to the computer, so we could get numbers. Their Tour fitter went by just the numbers (carry distance, spin, left or right of target), what he could see and hear (he knew what good strikes sound like) and impact tape on the club face.  I don't know if this is the best way to do it, but I trusted his experience.  His prescription was very similar to what I found at 2nd Swing - same shaft, 2* flat, etc.  Played this set in Texas last week and for 9 holes in MN yesterday - can't argue with the results.  

Guess it mostly depends on the fitter...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

It does depend on the fitter and the fittee. I was fortunate that my fitter happens to be one of my best friends and over the last 10 years we have played a lot of golf together and practiced a lot together. He knows my swing and game inside out. I think personally if I were fitting up someone I did not know I would do at least 3 different sessions in different days to get an overall perspective. I may be overthinking it in this case but if someone wants to spend money with me like that I for darn sure want them to have the best fit possible. I would also do a follow up evaluation after a couple weeks or a few rounds to see how it is going for them and make adjustments accordingly. All the above would be included in the price. I believe in doing it precise and correctly or not doing it at all

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

At most fittings, folks are usually guilty of playing the occasion rather than the match - that means they are more inclined to try to impress the fitter rather than playing their own game.

If I could offer one piece of advice for a fitting, it would probably be to leave your ego at home. Listen to the fitter, swing naturally and you will find it a lot easier to find a good fit. Once you feel comfortable in how you are swinging it, then progress can be a lot easier IMO.

Secondly, nobody says the "optimum fit" translates to how you perceive it - in other words, if you feel it's the wrong combination then it's the wrong combination. The only person qualified to say how the fitting feels is the end user. So if you feel in your heart of hearts that your not playing to your potential that day, then be honest with yourself first and foremost - and then with your fitter second.

Lastly - it's a learning curve. Be prepared to put a certain amount of effort into finding the best fit for your game. That means more than one assessment  sometimes and accepting that one solution is not the be all and end all of any fitting. The wise consumer needs to evaluate what he or she has learned and put that knowledge into a performance package that will help their game.

Some things are pretty obvious in fittings, but the subtle things which are not readily apparent also make the whole picture just as critical. This is probably why some folks get a quick fix from big box stores with a LM and a driving net, but somehow fail to keep a driver or irons longer than a few months shortly afterwards.

The bottom line is that a true "fitting" extends beyond a single session booked on a single day. It's your game, so make the effort to to adapt that concept around your whole experience. Anybody who says they can fit you within a day is probably more interested in your money rather than your game to be honest, so try to use a certain amount of applied knowledge in your quest for the perfect set. 

Great advice, I've found my best fittings were give and takes with multiple sessions.

My worst fitting was with a fitter who steadfastly refused to take any input from me. I could see from the results of the fitting that three of the opinions tried worked well for me. One was graphite the other two steel. I had already been in graphite for five years but for some reason he was convinced I needed to go back to steel. He couldn't really articulate why and he was having me try any of the lighter weight steel shafts. I know that I prefer a light weight shaft in my irons, I just do, but he would have none of it so it made the fitting a wrestling match. Had he just given me a reason why he wanted me to go to steel, I would have listened and at least considered it.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think Plaid and jaskanski nailed it and after reading their posts it translates to me in laymans terms as: swing like you're on the course because you're still going to hit clunkers there as well. The fitter will have a better idea of fitting you if he sees all your swings, not just the "tour" ones.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

swing like you're on the course

And include your pre-shot routine, to maintain your normal tempo.

I hit off a mat in the winter and have to force myself keep my tempo.

It seems to be a "mat thing," which is usually what you'll be hitting off of to get your LM results.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Archived