Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Cutting down Big Bertha driver, adding swing weight

OK, I just bought a new 2014 Big Bertha Driver. Great club, hit it well and get great numbers with it, however it is too long for me at 45.5". I was fit by Callaway rep 2 weeks ago using a Trackman and a new XR Driver and he also suggested I should be at a 44.5" length. He actually said he recommends almost everyone playing a shorter driver.

Anyway, I want to cut an inch off the butt end of the shaft. I understand the basics of possibly (though not likeley) making the shaft a bit stiffer, but shortening will definitely affect the swing weight. If I replace the 5g factory installed weight with a 15g weight, will that make up the difference? Is it possible to use a tungsten plug or brass tip weights with an Opti-Fit hosel?

What if I just purchased a heavier shaft? What change would that make on the swing weight?

Also, anyone know where I can purchase replacement weights? I've seen a few on eBay, but all of the 15g I've seen ship from China.

Thanks, and apologies if any of this is covered elsewhere. I searched and didn't find the specific answer I was looking for.

@KW_Johnston

Driver: Callaway XR

3 Wood: Nike Vrs

Hybrid: Adams Idea Super LS

Irons: Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal 4-GW. N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X

Wedge: 54 Callaway Forged

Wedge: 58 Bettinardi

Putter: Taylormade Ghost Black Indy

Cutting 1" off the butt should be about 6 swing weight points.  2grams at the head is 1 swp, so you would need to add in 12grams.  Going from 5 to 15 would make it pretty close, but not quite all the way there.

9 grams of shaft weight is roughly 1 swing weight point if you want to go that route, but if you hit it well with the current shaft going heavier might not give the same results.

Not sure about adding tip weights with the hosel adapter.

When you were fit, did you get the swing weight specs?  You could use that as a guide to figure out where you want to end up with the Bertha.

Also are you consistently hitting the center of the face with the Bertha as it sits?  If you are, then shortening isn't going to make a big difference.  If you are getting some off center contact then going shorter could help.

Personally I would cut it down and then see how it feels.  If it feels too light then start adding lead tape to the bottom right around where the weight port is and see how much you need to add to get it to feel good.  Then see if you can find a weight that will add that much to it and swap it out.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Thanks. During the fitting he never mentioned swing weight and I failed to ask. I did cut down my old driver, Callaway Razr Hawk, without adding any weight to it and honestly never noticed a difference. I haven't hit the new BB a lot, but seemed to catch it off the heel more often than I would like. I like the stock shaft in it just fine, no complaints with distance or ball flight. I may just try to find a 15g weight, cut it, and see how it is. Worse case, I will have to buy a new shaft.

@KW_Johnston

The 15g weight and possibly a lighter grip would do it. But I'm almost willing to gurantee you that the 1 swingweight point difference by merely changing the weight alone wouldn't be noticed by 99.999% of the golf population

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

That's what I figure too. Just found a 15g weight on eBay and ordered it. Will tinker this weekend. Thanks.

@KW_Johnston

The 15g weight and possibly a lighter grip would do it. But I'm almost willing to gurantee you that the 1 swingweight point difference by merely changing the weight alone wouldn't be noticed by 99.999% of the golf population

Totally agree.

I know I'm not in the 0.001%.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

That's what I figure too. Just found a 15g weight on eBay and ordered it. Will tinker this weekend. Thanks.

Just make sure to weigh it before installing it. The Chinese replica weights are known to be lighter than their stated weight. Just a heads up

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Just make sure to weigh it before installing it. The Chinese replica weights are known to be lighter than their stated weight. Just a heads up

Thanks. I made sure to order one that wasn't from China, but not guaranteed that it isn't a knock off. Found one from a seller in OH. Is there any way to order a real one from Callaway? I sent them an email but haven't heard back. Golf Works or Golfsmith doesn't carry them online either.

@KW_Johnston

Thanks. I made sure to order one that wasn't from China, but not guaranteed that it isn't a knock off. Found one from a seller in OH. Is there any way to order a real one from Callaway? I sent them an email but haven't heard back. Golf Works or Golfsmith doesn't carry them online either.

I wouldn't worry about a "knock-off" weight considering many people just use lead tape.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

To be honest, I usually get a quicker response tweeting Harry Arnett directly lol (@harryarnettCG)

In The Bag

Thanks for that advice. I sent one tweet and 5 minutes later got a reply from Chad Coleman (@hastagchad) who said he would just send me some. Classy.

@KW_Johnston

Thanks for that advice. I sent one tweet and 5 minutes later got a reply from Chad Coleman (@hastagchad) who said he would just send me some. Classy.

Yeah tweeting Harry usually results in him getting you in touch with the right person.

In The Bag

• 3 weeks later...

Wish i had seen this earlier.

I had the big bertha alpha 9*- at 45.5 I kept making heel contact, got a heavier 44.5" shaft and started hitting center.

Stock swing weight with the Fubuki 60 ZT in Stiff is D3. I got the 60 X and that was too light timing was off,

I bought a 13g weight from ebay- Driver sounded... HORRIBLE! Good luck with it. I ended up getting two 7g weights and that helped.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Wish i had seen this earlier.

I had the big bertha alpha 9*- at 45.5 I kept making heel contact, got a heavier 44.5" shaft and started hitting center. 

Stock swing weight with the Fubuki 60 ZT in Stiff is D3. I got the 60 X and that was too light timing was off, ended up going with the 70x.

I bought a 13g weight from ebay- Driver sounded... HORRIBLE! Good luck with it. I ended up getting two 7g weights and that helped. 

Thanks for the info. I actullay haven't done anything to it yet. I have been hitting it OK, just tweaking some of the settings to get the ball flight I want. Still think I could be a little more consistent in striking with a shorter shaft. Just don't like standing up to the ball with a 46" driver. Might look for a heavier shaft.

@KW_Johnston

Archived