TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hogan Is Now Taking Orders

Just cruised over to the Hogan website -- they've active the order-taking portion for the general public.

Click here to go to the website.

Once I went through the HoganFit process and got my "prescription," I found this little nugget...

TheHoganPromise.jpg

Jeff Harris, the Marketing director, told me last week that this is very important to them, especially as they start up and work toward building a fitter network.  He says they want you to be happy with what  you buy, especially if it's over the internet, and they'll do what it takes.  

The manufacturing area is gearing up - I"m guessing they'll be able to keep up with orders initially as they set up their mass production area.  It's going to be what Steve Dreyer, the director of operations, calls a 'monorail" system.  He ran production for the old Hogan company and originally designed the monorail system to improve quality, consistency and inventory over the piecework process they used before.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I would really be interested, of course, in hitting these. I am just curious. I went through the "fitting" online and got my prescription. They suggested the irons and wedges for me. The bottom line came to about  around $1800. Now I know I am what they refer to as "ballin on a budget". But for $1800 couldnt you go get custom fit, in-person for almost any set of clubs you would want and still have money for a nice steak dinner? 

Even if money was no object, doesn't that seem a little outside the normal range? maybe its just my champagne taste and beer pocket book. 

Thoughts?

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

I would really be interested, of course, in hitting these. I am just curious. I went through the "fitting" online and got my prescription. They suggested the irons and wedges for me. The bottom line came to about  around $1800. Now I know I am what they refer to as "ballin on a budget". But for $1800 couldnt you go get custom fit, in-person for almost any set of clubs you would want and still have money for a nice steak dinner? 

Even if money was no object, doesn't that seem a little outside the normal range? maybe its just my champagne taste and beer pocket book. 

Thoughts?

One of the things Jeff Harris, Hogan's director of marketing, told me when I visited there last week - Hogan won't be for everybody, and they're not going to try.  My prescription ranged from a 20* iron up to a 58* wedge, 11 clubs in all, and was around $1800 as well (upgraded to C-Taper shafts), or around $164 per club. Stock offering is $149/club.

Consider a set of players irons, like say the Nike Vapor Pro Combos, lists at $1,100.00 for an 8 club set (4-AW), which translates to about $138/club with stock shafts. And you'd have to most likely add 2 wedges.  Not sure what Nike charges for an upgraded shaft. Stock to stock that's an $11/club difference - over a full set that's anywhere from $100 to $120, depending on what  you buy. Other players irons are in the $1000/set range, or about $125/club, so the price difference is around $200 for the set.  

Big difference, of course, is that other iron sets are likely to be discounted by the end of the year (or maybe end of the week, who knows?) and Harris says that's not the plan for Hogan.  

Bottom line - does someone like the Hogan's enough to pay $100 to $200 more per set?  The Hogan folks are pretty adamant about holding their pricing - we'll see how that works out - and they're comfortable being on the high end of the price scale.  It all depends on what you value and what you can, or want to, spend.  

And as far as getting custom-fit in person, Hogan says the price won't be any different there than online. I imagine the cost of the fitting would be included...but that's a good question.  I'll see if I can find that out.  

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

One of the things Jeff Harris, Hogan's director of marketing, told me when I visited there last week - Hogan won't be for everybody, and they're not going to try.  My prescription ranged from a 20* iron up to a 58* wedge, 11 clubs in all, and was around $1800 as well (upgraded to C-Taper shafts), or around $164 per club. Stock offering is $149/club.

Consider a set of players irons, like say the Nike Vapor Pro Combos, lists at $1,100.00 for an 8 club set (4-AW), which translates to about $138/club with stock shafts. And you'd have to most likely add 2 wedges.  Not sure what Nike charges for an upgraded shaft. Stock to stock that's an $11/club difference - over a full set that's anywhere from $100 to $120, depending on what  you buy. Other players irons are in the $1000/set range, or about $125/club, so the price difference is around $200 for the set.  

Big difference, of course, is that other iron sets are likely to be discounted by the end of the year (or maybe end of the week, who knows?) and Harris says that's not the plan for Hogan.  

Bottom line - does someone like the Hogan's enough to pay $100 to $200 more per set?  The Hogan folks are pretty adamant about holding their pricing - we'll see how that works out - and they're comfortable being on the high end of the price scale.  It all depends on what you value and what you can, or want to, spend.  

And as far as getting custom-fit in person, Hogan says the price won't be any different there than online. I imagine the cost of the fitting would be included...but that's a good question.  I'll see if I can find that out.  

And that's why I play Wilson Staff. Very reasonable prices for the low income/ poorer/ working man. ;)  

I am sure these irons are legit and stuff but for the love of God that is just too much money to spend on equipment. Even if I did have the money, I wouldn't. We talk about problems in golf today. Maybe making it more affordable for the general population who doesn't make over $40,000 a year would help? 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

GolfSpy Barbajo,

Ok, I can see that. If you can actually go and get fit in person for the same price, I can see myself coming around (slowly). 

Even if I were in the market for the high end right now, I would still be slightly apprehensive. I guess I wouldn't be an early adopter in this case. I would want to see a set in a tour players hand. I want to see one of the Staff here, or members here play a set and see what is said. 

Have always liked Hogan. And I would love to play a set, but guess I don't have the faith yet to be one of the first. 

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

And that's why I play Wilson Staff. Very reasonable prices for the low income/ poorer/ working man. ;)

Interesting point - Wilson is actually trying to seize a specific price point market share.  Tim Clarke says Wilson would like to be viewed as the Southwest Airlines of golf -- great equipment at a great price that gives solid value (almost a direct quote - I'd have to go back in my notes to check).  

That said, as you found out, there are lots of options in a wide variety of price points.  Price out some Miura, Vega or Epon irons sometime -- the Hogan's all of a sudden look kinda reasonable  B)

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

GolfSpy Barbajo,

Ok, I can see that. If you can actually go and get fit in person for the same price, I can see myself coming around (slowly). 

Even if I were in the market for the high end right now, I would still be slightly apprehensive. I guess I wouldn't be an early adopter in this case. I would want to see a set in a tour players hand. I want to see one of the Staff here, or members here play a set and see what is said. 

Have always liked Hogan. And I would love to play a set, but guess I don't have the faith yet to be one of the first. 

You know what they say -- you can always tell a Pioneer.  He's the dude with the arrows in his back!

Harris says they've had some serious interest from Tour players, but they won't do that this year - they're just not ready. Next year is a possibility.  He echoed your statement - Tour players give the brand some validation.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Interesting point - Wilson is actually trying to seize a specific price point market share.  Tim Clarke says Wilson would like to be viewed as the Southwest Airlines of golf -- great equipment at a great price that gives solid value (almost a direct quote - I'd have to go back in my notes to check).  

That said, as you found out, there are lots of options in a wide variety of price points.  Price out some Miura, Vega or Epon irons sometime -- the Hogan's all of a sudden look kinda reasonable  B)

I understand the "premium" aspect of what they are trying to do and if they are successful with it - more power to them. I personally know quite a few people in my area who would probably play if they could afford it but between green fees, lessons and equipment pricing they just can't. Sucks to be poor I guess :(

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I understand the "premium" aspect of what they are trying to do and if they are successful with it - more power to them. I personally know quite a few people in my area who would probably play if they could afford it but between green fees, lessons and equipment pricing they just can't. Sucks to be poor I guess :(

Everyone has a budget - even Trump!  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I tend to think most of the early adopters will be those who have hands on experience with the SCOR wedges.  They'll not only have a good idea how the design works for them on their short game, but will likely have had contact with SCOR staffers that can help them select the comparable Hogan shafts with the shafts they've been using in their wedges.  Many of them may also have purchased their SCOR wedges from a fitter, and those fitters will be the first ones to be distributing Hogan at the retail level.

I'm not privy to their marketing plans or their financial status, but I'm assuming they aren't expecting to take a huge share of the market anytime soon.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Everyone has a budget - even Trump!  

Don't let the Donald hear you say that! He would lose his toupee trying to disprove you!

I don't NEED tour player validation. I would like to see some positive, honest , feedback on them before i even considered driving up 35 to Ft Worth. 

Good thing I am a member here then. 

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

I guess I made the right decision by pulling my deposit considering they don't offer LH clubs, nor made any mention of that when I put the $500 down.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I guess I made the right decision by pulling my deposit considering they don't offer LH clubs, nor made any mention of that when I put the $500 down.

Wow that sucks! Good thing you got your money back.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Archived