Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Relocated from Ireland to Chicago

Hello everyone,

I moved from Ireland to Chicago and I am looking forward to playing a few courses in the Chicago area, any recommendations?

Also, I wanted to get some lessons to make sure I start the season off the right way. I am playing off 12.

Looking forward to being part of the forum!

Best Regards,

Dave

Welcome Dave. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions on golf in Chicago as I've only been there for pleasure. 

Glad to have you here though!

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Welcome Dave!  Thanks for joining.  Can't help with golf in Chicago either.  I have spent a lot of time there over the years, but never had my clubs.

Where did you play in Ireland?  My wife and I play quite a bit (some would say an awful lot) and she is Irish.  So, naturally Ireland is on my Bucket List.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Welcome to MGS (and the US), I know there are a lot of fine courses in the Chicago area, unfortunately I've never played any of them ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Welcome to MGS!  I cant help you out with instructors in Chicagoland either but this summer when you feel like going on vacation, I can recommend some great places in southern Wisconsin where you could play.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Dave,

Chicago is a big place with lots of courses in and around the area.  In what part of Chicago are you living?

Although I haven't played in the area, I checked with some friends and I would check out Prairie Landing in West Chicago.  

http://prairielanding.com

It's a prairie links type of course that might be reminiscent of links courses in Ireland??  Designed by Robert Trent Jones II.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Welcome Dave. I hope the move wasn't too traumatic and that you do enjoy our style of golf here. Im with the others in regards to not being able to comment on the golf in Chicago but even worse I dont have any friends or family that have golfed there to comment. Im from Ontario Canada myself.

All the best

Welcome Dave,

I have a few friends who grew up in Donegal, but now live in the states. One of them is there right now, he just went home for the first time in 15 years! Chicago golf has a ton of great courses to play, it's just too bad our weather is inconsistent. Unfortunately where you play will be largely based on where you live. Generally those that live in the north burbs don't play much in the south burbs because it can be over an hour and a half drive and rush hour seems to get earlier all the time and in the summer every highway is under construction. With that being said though there are great courses in every direction. Being that we have more supply than demand, utilizing discount tee time databases such as golfnow and EZ Links will be extremely beneficial for you. You can also check out GolfWeek magazines places you can play. They just released the annual top 15 in each state. Summer time trips are great too as Wisconsin is extremely close and so is Michigan. Great golf there too in less than two hours drive.

I know of a predominantly Irish Golf Group called "The Goal Post Golf Society." I believe they're based out of the South Side, but play all over. Their website is here: http://www.goalpostgolf.com/index.htmlOnce you see the names you'll instantly know!

I've lived in Chicago most my entire life Go Cubs Go! :-( and have had the benefit of living on the south side, west wide, and north side. There are a ton of great places to play! Except that it's 30* and snowed this morning ha!

Feel free to drop me a PM if looking for advice on where to play or who I know from the Goal Post.

-Kyle

Welcome Dave, hope you enjoy it here.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If you dont mind a short road trip, I highly recommend making the trip to Wisconsin and playing Grand Geneva in Lake Geneva, Whistling Straits/Black Wolf Run in Kohler, Trapper's Turn in the Wisconsin Dells and Erin Hills in Hartford.  Theres soooo much great golf in Wisconsin and its just a great summer destination in general.  People in Illinois may talk trash about Wisconsin but that fact is that most of them spend their summer vacations there.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• 2 weeks later...

Thank's guys. My home club is Lahinch, County Clare. I am still a member but don't get to play it to often since I moved to Chicago. Actually, I have not played lahinch much since having 3 kids  ;)

No help on Chicago - from Detroit area.  If you get up here let me know.  Lot's of nice places to play.

Absolutely LOVED Lahinch - played the old course there last May and had a decent game in the19th as well.   I got a tin cup from there and the goat logo (in green) is my standard ball marking. 

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

• 1 month later...

Despite having too short a season, the Chicagoland area has many of the best public courses in the country. Among my favorites are: Thunderhawk, Cog Hill, Blackstone, Stonewall Orchard, Village Links, Cantigny, Pine Meadow, Bowes Creek, Highlands of Elgin and Harborside. All of these are within an hour or so from downtown, (w/o traffic of course) and  I'm sure I forgot several. Contact the Chicago District Golf Assn (CDGA) and ask for their 2015 Green Book Course Directory. Good luck.

Archived